Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If one was hoping for a Gibson trade then even with an apparently bad return(I’m curious to see just how bad) then this is great news. Gibby was probably not gonna want to go there and Ullmark’s off the market. If Saros gets extended or Nashville at least holds off to try then he’s probably the top guy available.
I'm guessing that IF it is a bad return it's because they are acquiring him w/o an extension. Gibson's 3 years remaining is actually a bit of a positive right now (with perhaps some retention). Detroit is probably the most likely destination if he is dealt.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The younger guys do need the reps and maybe things improve under Clune in that regard but it’s odd to blame Fowler for powerplay stuff. His unit was the good one.
It isn't so much about blaming him as the fact that something needs to change, he needs fewer minutes, and we have a lot of guys who should be capable of stepping up to earn the spot. Keeping him on PP1 just isn't beneficial to improving the team going forward.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think people just hate Fowler not having a cannon and ignore his actual production.
agreed. they will complain about his muffin shot getting blocked but ignore that he's our most productive defenseman for points. for some reason people have gotten more upset with Fowler not being a player he's never been (big, tough, shutdown D with a cannon).

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I think people just hate Fowler not having a cannon and ignore his actual production.
I've always wondered why Fowler has been unable to improve his slapshot over the years. I would think with NHL trainers, strength coaches and consultants that someone would have been able to help him improve it. I never expected him to beat an unscreened goalie or break the glass behind the net, yet no one hesitates to get into his shooting lane ...

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It isn't so much about blaming him as the fact that something needs to change, he needs fewer minutes, and we have a lot of guys who should be capable of stepping up to earn the spot. Keeping him on PP1 just isn't beneficial to improving the team going forward.
I don’t disagree but they didn’t really “keep” him on PP1 last year. That whole unit was supposed to be PP2 but they actually produced so they got more minutes, and even then it was a pretty close split. You can’t really say other guys were capable of earning the spot when they were given plenty of opportunity and just didn’t.

Like I said, maybe it changes under Clune, maybe it changes with a new addition or two, but these guys actually have to beat him out for the PP to be good.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ullmark trade to Ottawa was just announced. Once Saros' contract situation gets resolved in NSH then we'll see if there is any real interest in Gibson. :popcorn:

Ullmark going to Ottawa should be a positive, one of the biggest goalie trade candidates goes to a place where Gibson would definitely not have accepted a trade. All of the actual potential Gibson trade partners, are still on the dance floor with options dwindling.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don’t disagree but they didn’t really “keep” him on PP1 last year. That whole unit was supposed to be PP2 but they actually produced so they got more minutes, and even then it was a pretty close split. You can’t really say other guys were capable of earning the spot when they were given plenty of opportunity and just didn’t.

Like I said, maybe it changes under Clune, maybe it changes with a new addition or two, but these guys actually have to beat him out for the PP to be good.
I agree guys have to earn the job. I wasn't trying to pick on Cam. It was more about pointing out what I considered obvious reasons to make a change. Especially given where the team currently is. And then, well, maybe, we actually do improve the PP?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I agree guys have to earn the job. I wasn't trying to pick on Cam. It was more about pointing out what I considered obvious reasons to make a change. Especially given where the team currently is. And then, well, maybe, we actually do improve the PP?
I think separating the young guys and the vets aside from Killorn sometimes was a mistake. But Zegras getting going would probably be a start.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Fowler is a 32 year old LHD that can play minutes. By the time the Ducks are even thinking about competing for a cup he will be gone.

If Marino, or some other RHD, is a good move for the Ducks, the team should do it.

I don’t care about the minutes and our young D. Broberg s playing well enough to make Nurse an NHL defenseman and he has no experience.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It may not be 6.4 as part of any deal...if Verbeek wants to make a deal. And I assume the Ducks would take back some salary.
Yeah. If Gibson goes with no retention the return will not be anything positive and will likely involve a bad contract coming back.

But I do think if PV wants to move him an opportunity should present itself soon.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah. If Gibson goes with no retention the return will not be anything positive and will likely involve a bad contract coming back.

But I do think if PV wants to move him an opportunity should present itself soon.
Detroit's top priority this summer is to get a goalie. I could somewhat envision taking back Husso (1 year $4.75) and Holl (big RHD 2 years $3.4) plus something positive like a 1st this year or next.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Detroit's top priority this summer is to get a goalie. I could somewhat envision taking back Husso (1 year $4.75) and Holl (big RHD 2 years $3.4) plus something positive like a 1st this year or next.
They somehow gave Holl a 10 team no trade list, so he probably wouldn't come here. Maatta is a lefty, but he doesn't have trade protection, so he could be part of it.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Husso I could stomach. Not so sure about Holl. What are we supposed to do with him? I’d rather try a young guy on their off side vs 2 years of Holl who wouldn’t remotely be part of our future.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Husso I could stomach. Not so sure about Holl. What are we supposed to do with him? I’d rather try a young guy on their off side vs 2 years of Holl who wouldn’t remotely be part of our future.
The RHD UFA market is already starting to dry up. At least Holl provides some size and is a righty. It would be a 2 year band-aid and he might be the best the Ducks can get anyway. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad