Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Zegras gets traded the team store is going to lose 50% of their jersey sales. (Kidding of course, but most jerseys I see are zegras)
People can just buy a Carlsson one instead :)
Unless Demidov drops to #3 and the Ducks pick him I think the offense on the team is gonna be led by Carlsson in a year or two.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I guess the @duxfan1101 Husso proposal a few pages back makes sense, but in the back of my mind, I still don’t think Gibby is getting moved simply because of money. I imagine you’re almost certainly retaining salary, and are the Samuelis really going to be thrilled eating 20+% (the amount I think it would take for any sort of viable return) for 3 years?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I guess the @duxfan1101 Husso proposal a few pages back makes sense, but in the back of my mind, I still don’t think Gibby is getting moved simply because of money. I imagine you’re almost certainly retaining salary, and are the Samuelis really going to be thrilled eating 20+% (the amount I think it would take for any sort of viable return) for 3 years?
Assuming Henry is as hands off as we are led to believe, it shouldn’t really matter how Verbeek spends the budget he is given. But maybe Verbeek doesn’t want his budget slashed further by virtue of retention? Who knows. I just know this offseason can’t pass fast enough. :laugh:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Let's say the Ducks retained $2 million (about 30%) on a deal with Gibson. They would still save $4.4 million annually. Add a decent backup for maybe $1.5-2.0 million. Annual savings would be in the $2.5-3.0 million range. I think any owner would be happy with that. They could actually breakeven even with full 50% retention as long as the backup replacement cost didn't exceed $3.2 million.

Reactions: Deuce22

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
How would we feel about something around Z and Brady Tkachuck? I would be sad to see Z go especially because Z brings excitement to the fans/organization. If he is traded I hope it’s for a legit top liner.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How would we feel about something around Z and Brady Tkachuck? I would be sad to see Z go especially because Z brings excitement to the fans/organization. If he is traded I hope it’s for a legit top liner.

Don’t think zegras gets us anywhere near.

It would have to start with mctavish/3rd overall

Reactions: Deuce22
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There's a difference between not being untouchable and being actively shopped. The issue is a lot of rumor mongers and HF trade board posters seem to think that the latter is the case and a team can scoop up Zegras at a discount. Unless the move clearly makes the Ducks better in the long term (as there's no high pressure to "win now" while the team is still rebuilding) there's no reason to move him. And if Verbeek lets himself get bent over just for the sake of moving on from Z, he should be fired.
Well yeah, I didn’t really say anything to the contrary. All I’m saying is that I think the reaction to the Zegras talk, that it’s a bunch of made up BS and isn’t happening, is wrong. Even the more tepid stuff, like “of course Verbeek is listening, he’ll listen on everyone, that’s his job” is wrong. I think it’s very notable that Zegras is apparently not untouchable.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m late to the Athletic conversation, but why did VerBleak sound like he said a lot and a bunch of nothing at the same time..?

‘Gotta change the culture/team had a culture shock with veterans/but yeah I gotta sign more veterans’

‘Gibson good goalie blah blah blah’

Nothing of substance was really said there. I still have no f’ing clue what the ‘culture’ is here.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I don’t want to see Zegras moved, but there is one team that I think might overpay… Buffalo.

I can see Tuch + another asset and/or a pick (if Tuch’s clause can get worked out).

Buffalo desperately needs a name, and a native son so to speak, might be the ticket.

John

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I’m late to the Athletic conversation, but why did VerBleak sound like he said a lot and a bunch of nothing at the same time..?

‘Gotta change the culture/team had a culture shock with veterans/but yeah I gotta sign more veterans’

Nothing of substance was really said there. I still have no f’ing clue what the ‘culture’ is here.

Almost everything was a rehashing or slight rewording of the same statements made at the end on the season. It is truly a nothing sandwich. But I get it, they have to make money and Zegras brings in clicks.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I don’t want to see Zegras moved, but there is one team that I think might overpay… Buffalo.

I can see Tuch + another asset and/or a pick (if Tuch’s clause can get worked out).

Buffalo desperately needs a name, and a native son so to speak, might be the ticket.

John

I would personally not do that trade. I think Zegras is the better player long term and he's younger. I like Tuch, but that's not the right move with Zegras.

The fact is that Tuch averages 70 points a season at 4.75 for two more years. If you're Buffalo, why would you trade that?

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Cronin would whack players with a rake. Explains why they had so many injuries.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I would personally not do that trade. I think Zegras is the better player long term and he's younger. I like Tuch, but that's not the right move with Zegras.

The fact is that Tuch averages 70 points a season at 4.75 for two more years. If you're Buffalo, why would you trade that?
I wouldn’t trade him either. But it depends on the other asset and/or pick we get.

Zegras is from New York and after watching Eichel lift the cup and possibly watching Montour this year, they may want to add an exciting player who will become a fan favorite.

John

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

John
buffalo had a name, his name was Eichel. also I would not trade Zegras for a 28 year old signed for only 2 more seasons who has only put up more points than Zegras once.

Reactions: McDonald19

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm not pushing to trade Z and I don't really buy into the narrative that he's not a PV type of player. And even if that's true, the ducks would be better to wait to trade Z until after he bounces back (which he will).

That being said, the ducks should be listening to any offers. For me, I'd be very tempted by a trade for Montreal's 5th pick. That guarantees the ducks get one of Lindstrom/Demidov and one of Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson. That would be a huge haul. Both players would be in the NHL pretty soon and the ducks would be stacked. However, next years team takes a step back unless you really upgrade with other moves.

If the ducks make that type of move (which would free up more salary), then they need to go hard after Roy and a veteran replacement for Z. Overpay for UFA if you have to.

If they sign a player like Roy, I wonder what they can get in a trade of Fowler? I think Fowler's value would be pretty high to a team like Toronto - he's a solid top 4 guy with term at a reasonable AAV. And Marner, for all his faults, will generate goals. I could see a trade involving those players with the ducks obviously adding other assets. Yes - Marner is not a PV type of player (whatever that means). But you needs a few Marners on a team with bigger guys. And just to be clear, I think Fowler could/should be traded elsewhere given the logjam of LHD.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

John
Buffalo ain’t trading tuch…. He’s loved there

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
The Athletic has an article breaking down the top 50 FA defensemen: Link. Just thought I would add some interesting comments:

Matt Roy
Over the last few seasons, Matt Roy has developed into a defensive rock for the Kings. Los Angeles has grown into one of the league’s best defensive teams in recent years and Roy is a big part of that in their top four. Over the last two seasons, the team has earned 0.25 more expected goals per 60 with Roy on the ice, and he has allowed just 2.26 expected goals against per 60. Last season, the Kings earned 57 percent of the goals and expected goals with Roy on the ice. That was while sharing tough-minute responsibilities with the top pair. Drew Doughty’s pair played more difficult minutes, yes, but the difference wasn’t big.

Roy ended up with a plus-4 Defensive Rating on the season, which is right in line with his projection for next season. It’s also the 12th-highest mark in the league among defensemen, sandwiched between Chris Tanev and Esa Lindell. He’s a strong shutdown type who can eat minutes — while not being a drag offensively, either. It’s worth mentioning that while the Kings faltered over the last two playoffs against the Oilers, Roy was far from a problem there. His goal and expected goal rates were above 50 percent both years. To do that against a steady diet of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl isn’t easy. Some may balk at a potential $6 million price tag, especially considering he’s 29. But Roy has been a sneaky good top-four option for the Kings. He can play on a top pair and bring out the best in an offensive No. 1.

Brett Peace
Most of the things said about Skjei apply here to Brett Pesce, though Pesce isn’t quite as offensively gifted. Carolina defenders are very tough to get a read on because it’s difficult to know what they’ll be capable of in a different system. The Hurricanes seem to play an entirely different sport, so it’s hard to comment on whether Pesce is an actually poor puck-mover or if that’s by design. He is great at defending the rush and still great defensively in general, enough to be on the ice for 55 percent of the expected goals last season. His absence during the playoffs was felt greatly.

There’s a right price to be paid for his services, and they entirely depend on term. He’s probably a $5 million defenseman now, but how long will that be true as he enters his 30s? That’s the risk when assessing how long his contract will be. Short and sweet is ideal, with $5.2 million over four years being a sweet spot. Anything more, by cash or length, could be problematic.

Dylan Demelo
For those who strike out on Roy or Tanev, Dylan DeMelo represents a solid, younger backup plan. He’s a strong No. 2 option who prioritizes defense and is an asset for clean responsible breakouts. DeMelo’s ability to exit zones with control is on par with Tanev’s. He’s the type of guy you pair with a stud and don’t think twice about.

DeMelo has taken on tougher minutes more consistently on the top pair with Josh Morrissey over the last two seasons, and the duo has looked very strong. Morrissey is the one who drives the bus, but DeMelo is a no-nonsense partner who allows Morrissey to shine. He’s a valuable No. 2 defenseman in that regard, and over the last two seasons he has earned 54 percent of the expected goals and 59 percent of the goals.

Last season, Demelo’s Offensive and Defensive Ratings were both plus-3.9. We’re exercising more caution with our projection, but that speaks to the kind of value he can bring. He should have no problem living up to $4 million or $5 million annually.

* Edit: Fat thumbed it and didn't finish writing

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
The Athletic has an article breaking down the top 50 FA defensemen: Link. Just thought I would add some interesting comments:

Matt Roy

Brett Peace

Dylan Demelo

* Edit: Fat thumbed it and didn't finish writing
I can see Pesce and maybe Roy having their UFA rights traded for a pick before July 1. I think there will be teams who want to guarantee a RHD upgrade. I’d probably give up a 3rd for Roy if it came with an extension. Unfortunately, I can’t see the Kings sending him here.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Roy seems like the guy to go after. I'd do $6.5 million for five years or less. He could be a fantastic complement to either Mintyukov or Zellweger for years to come.

Mintyukov - Roy
Zellweger - Gudas
Fowler - Luneau/LaCombe/Vaakanainen/Lindstrom

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I can see Pesce and maybe Roy having their UFA rights traded for a pick before July 1. I think there will be teams who want to guarantee a RHD upgrade. I’d probably give up a 3rd for Roy if it came with an extension. Unfortunately, I can’t see the Kings sending him here.
Well we wouldn’t send Bryzgalov for Brown. Which was a bad decision for us. Perry-Brown would have made us full tilt.

John

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Roy seems like the guy to go after. I'd do $6.5 million for five years or less. He could be a fantastic complement to either Mintyukov or Zellweger for years to come.

Mintyukov - Roy
Zellweger - Gudas
Fowler - Luneau/LaCombe/Vaakanainen/Lindstrom

Now I see why people are hesitant on Stamkos and other offensive weapons..

It’s to overpay guys like Roy

• Haha
Reactions: gilfaizon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad