Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m confused,But I didn’t read anything suggesting Zegras is being shopped or even being considered to being available. It’s the same speculation. Old re-hashed news.

Verbeek needs to be very careful with this. Can easily blow up in his face, if he does trade him and the return is rather lackluster or doesn’t work out.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
We hear rumors all of the time (not so much in Anaheim specifically) and a lot of it doesn't result in anything. While i'm not the biggest Zegras fan in the world (currently) I think PV would really need to win a deal if he's going to trade him.

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
Boy oh boy alot of folks here think they could moonlight as a GM. Wait until if and when Z is traded then decide (on paper) if the move made sense or not. What if Verbeek actually uses Zegras as a way of upgrading the roster and bringing in an even better piece. People automatically assume he’ll be traded for picks and scraps

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I didn’t state it as a fact. I said it was “pretty obvious to me”. That’s an opinion. I try to be careful not to state things as unqualified facts as much as possible.

I’ve personally accepted the idea of zegras being moved, assuming teams are still making solid offers.

Also don’t think it’s a bad move, obviously depending on what else we do.

Getting any sort of value on gibson would be huge.

I assume there will be a lot of chatter on
5th overall for zegras
Necas resigned for zegras(prob some adds on both sides)
Reinbacher/guhle + jets 1st for zegras

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I’ve personally accepted the idea of zegras being moved, assuming teams are still making solid offers.

Also don’t think it’s a bad move, obviously depending on what else we do.

Getting any sort of value on gibson would be huge.

I assume there will be a lot of chatter on
5th overall for zegras
Necas resigned for zegras(prob some adds on both sides)
Reinbacher/guhle + jets 1st for zegras
If they are taking Demidov then I would do Z for the 5th. I would rather have the 5ty this year then either of those guys.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’m confused,But I didn’t read anything suggesting Zegras is being shopped or even being considered to being available. It’s the same speculation. Old re-hashed news.

Verbeek needs to be very careful with this. Can easily blow up in his face, if he does trade him and the return is rather lackluster or doesn’t work out.
The fanbase will despise Verbeek if he deals Zegras. Its a good way to needlessly put yourself on the hot seat.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If they are taking Demidov then I would do Z for the 5th. I would rather have the 5ty this year then either of those guys.
Ya coming out of draft with 2 of Demidov, levshunov, lindstrom, Dickinson would be pretty nice.

I don’t love the guhle route but he does strike me as a guy PV might like( would also prob push fowler out the door). Would need an add

I like Reinbacher and he plays a position of need + style wise is a good fit….. but would def need an add or 2.

I’d start off asking for 5 + Reinbacher/guhle and see if we can add to make it work.

Necas for zegras is pretty lateral move at best, but def can see PV preferring necas

There is enough smoke around zegras that it’s prob worth discussing

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The fanbase will despise Verbeek if he deals Zegras. Its a good way to needlessly put yourself on the hot seat.

I’ve learned to not get attached to players, gotta put the team first. Now if Verbeek trades Z and we end up with a player of similar status or a top paring D to play with Minty or Zell, then maybe it won’t be so bad losing him.

I just think now is the wrong time to trade him, let him build up value or maybe he performs well enough, where Verbeek feels he can be part of the future core. I thought he played very well down the stretch after coming back from injury. If Verbeek was not happy with that stretch, then maybe we need a new GM. Cause not sure what else he wants from him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’ve learned to not get attached to players, gotta put the team first. Now if Verbeek trades Z and we end up with a player of similar status or a top paring D to play with Minty or Zell, then maybe it won’t be so bad losing him.

I just think now is the wrong time to trade him, let him build up value or maybe he performs well enough, where Verbeek feels he can be part of the future core. I thought he played very well down the stretch after coming back from injury. If Verbeek was not happy with that stretch, then maybe we need a new GM. Cause not sure what else he wants from him.
I don’t think young high profile centers value ever really depreciates.

Dach got 13th overall + 3rd…. And was very meh at that point
Newhook got a late 1st + early 2nd…. And really looked like a 3rd liner at the time of the trade.
Mittlestat got a young dmen with top pair upside

Not worried about value, I think we’d be gettin a significant piece or 2. It would be disappointing…. But I kinda see the issues surrounding zegras and just not sure he’s the right guy for what PV is building

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I don’t think young high profile centers value ever really depreciates.

Dach got 13th overall + 3rd…. And was very meh at that point
Newhook got a late 1st + early 2nd…. And really looked like a 3rd liner at the time of the trade.
Mittlestat got a young dmen with top pair upside

Not worried about value, I think we’d be gettin a significant piece or 2. It would be disappointing…. But I kinda see the issues surrounding zegras and just not sure he’s the right guy for what PV is building
Exactly this, everyone keeps saying lets build his trade value back up. A team that wants him, sees what’s there already. I would rather somehow trade Terry for necas. Though. And still add another top 6 rh shot wing

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84 and Zegras11

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm very aware of Zs deficiencies. I agree he needs to mature. What I disagree with is the the idea that he can't provide the qualities the PV will appreciate. He has work ethic. I think he has passion for the game more than most here and that is very important too. It a driving force to improve. I have never gotten the sense that he's a lazy player. I think with maturation that passion will translate to toughness and hard to play against.
You could well be right about everything you said. The real question is how patient is PV willing to be? We don't know the answer to that but he certainly isn't putting out any flames with regards to rumors of a possible move. There just seems to be a fair bit of smoke in the air right now. The next month could be pretty interesting.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You could well be right about everything you said. The real question is how patient is PV willing to be? We don't know the answer to that but he certainly isn't putting out any flames with regards to rumors of a possible move. There just seems to be a fair bit of smoke in the air right now. The next month could be pretty interesting.
PV was willing to go scorched earth when he got here and then hired a coach where winning was not the priority. IMO, it would be foolish to now have no patience for a young, very dynamic player who works hard. Anything is possible, but the logic escapes me.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
If z is traded... I will be during the Draft I think. And if we do trade Z.. Than I gotta think we are gunning for sam reinhart

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If z is traded... I will be during the Draft I think. And if we do trade Z.. Than I gotta think we are gunning for sam reinhart

Sam Reinhart is not going to sign here. If he wins a cup now, maybe his priorities will change, but he wants to play for a contender, which is why he wanted out of Buffalo.

Honestly, don't think the Ducks would want that cap hit anyway.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
. Sam Reinhart is not going to sign here. If he wins a cup now, maybe his priorities will change, but he wants to play for a contender, which is why he wanted out of Buffalo.

Honestly, don't think the Ducks would want that cap hit anyway.
Often players will say anything to leave the team they are playing for. Maybe he really did want to leave Buffalo to go to a contender? Or maybe it was just the obvious thing to say to leave(with the least pushback scrutiny )Regardless, I have a feeling Anaheim would be a fine destination for him.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Nothingburger on Zegras, as expected.

Nothingburger on Gibson still, for what, 5 years now? Even the Charlie Brown football Lucy gif is played at this point.

Fight Club - Edward Norton Punching Himself In The Face | Best Funny Gifs  Updated Daily

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like Pierre a lot as an insider and think he is written off too much by some on HF. he's actually one of the better national reporters when it comes to Ducks info i'd say as well. His comment about us being deep up front and as such is a reason we could afford to trade Zegs is just blatantly wrong though.

A lot of national reporters don't have accurate takes on our current forward group as well as those in our pipeline - outside of a few great young players, we have very little and in fact zero blue-chip forward prospects i'd say (outside of Gauthier, if you wanna include him)

Reactions: Firequacker

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That's also fair but to me it feels all driven by other teams. PV stated to the media at the end of the season that want Z and expects him to be a part of the team. PV strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't like to repeat himself. It's also odd that when speaking about Gibby it sounded to me like he straight up acknowledged that he was looking at it but with Z he wouldn't discuss it. Why the difference of tact? Could be any number of things including that he is looking at it and doesn't want to hurt any negotiating power but it also could be that he just find the idea as ridiculous and doesn't want to give it the time of day. This all feels driven by the media and not ours.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Now dreger is on the zegras to Montreal train. Just do it now if it's going to happen,m or this off-season is going to be annoying as hell.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
PV was willing to go scorched earth when he got here and then hired a coach where winning was not the priority. IMO, it would be foolish to now have no patience for a young, very dynamic player who works hard. Anything is possible, but the logic escapes me.

PV changes his mind often. First he said we didn't need a rebuild and the next step was to be contenders only to go scorched earth. He said he preferred overripened prospects over rushing, but he rushed a lot of youths last year. Verbeek stated he wanted a C who will be here a long while, changing the tradition of having a C for the past two years to quickly stated he will have a C now, but none of the youths have earned the right to wear the C - so does that mean the next captain will be a vet, bridge captain? Remember the whole height stuff, welp, PV used a 5th round pick on 5'11 Ben Meyers. And if PV doesn't re-sign him, then we wasted a 5th round pick. Also, if PV was patient, then this next season should be another dev season, but PV wants to acquire a top-4RD and top-6RW.

PV flip flops on his ideals more often than Pac Sun sells sandals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad