Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Verbeek would be negligent not to listen to offers other teams make for any player. That doesn't mean he is trading a particular player
Yeah I’d be upset if he wasn’t listening. Zegras is an upgradable player, whether we like to admit or not. Don’t want him traded, but I also think Verbeek should answer every call in case a GM gets desperate or drunk.

Reactions: lwvs84 and tomd
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Gibson definitely fits NJ, but I think he would be a backup plan for them. They seem pretty set on Markstrom, and LeBrun mentions Ullmark as a possibility, too. If they strike out on both of them, then I can see them going after Gibson.
I continue to be skeptical Calgary deals Markstrom at all. Their ownership apparently vetoed that one earlier in the year and I have a feeling an Oiler SCF appearance and especially a cup win would push them to try and compete. Ullmark will be interesting, hopefully that just doesn’t work out for whatever reason.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Lebrun saying stuff about zegras gives more weight to it. Lame.
Every player is available. Even the untouchables. Doesn’t mean they’ll be given away. I don’t think a top 10 pick gets Zegras. It would need to be a young player with Zegras potential + 1st, or a comparably aged top pairing D. Or we add to get a legit elite 1st line guy.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Every player is available. Even the untouchables. Doesn’t mean they’ll be given away. I don’t think a top 10 pick gets Zegras. It would need to be a young player with Zegras potential + 1st, or a comparably aged top pairing D. Or we add to get a legit elite 1st line guy.
I know, but if they wanted to shut this public chatter down, and it's been a lot of chatter, they would have by now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I know, but if they wanted to shut this public chatter down, and it's been a lot of chatter, they would have by now.

I think Verbeek is bad at the public relations part of the game.

Also, stating that only “player x/y/z” are the only untouchables is not the kind of thing that builds loyalty with your players, so he obviously doesn’t actually give a damn about it. That might have been a way to drum up interest to see what he can get without the discussion being “Verbeek is calling” instead of “Verbeek is listening”.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I believe I read on the main board that Fitzgerald (NJ GM) was looking for a goalie with term. Ullmark has 1 year left, Markstrom 2, and Gibson 3. Not saying that puts JG at the top of their list but it could be a factor.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Viewed with everything we now know about PV, it's pretty clear to me that Zegras is not on his future core list.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Viewed with everything we now know about PV, it's pretty clear to me that Zegras is not on his future core list.
What exactly do we know about PV? He chose skill over physicality with Leo, he expects all his players to play a 200 ft game. He resigned Terry. He moved a good defensive prospect where we had a lot of upcoming depth for more depth upfront. We all assume he WANTED to move Drysdale and not the Drysdale was REQUIRED for that trade. At this point he hasn't done anything that I recall that he said he wouldn't.

Reactions: duckpuck

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think the only way Zegras gets traded is for a player like a Draisaitl, Eichel, etc. The Ducks would get the better player and the other team would get depth, picks and most likely salary cap relief.

It is not going to be for more picks and/or a young player like Cutter. It will be for an impact player who will take us to the next level.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Maybe Z is regarded as Mr duck in 20 years or maybe he’s traded before the season starts but one thing that I don’t think flies is saying that Z isn’t a verbeek type player just because verbeek hasn’t gone out and acquired more players of a similar ilk.

There’s always the factor that verbeek maybe doesn’t acquire those players because he is comfortable with the one he has (zegras). One Z is great - numerous ones might be iffy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What exactly do we know about PV? He chose skill over physicality with Leo, he expects all his players to play a 200 ft game. He resigned Terry. He moved a good defensive prospect where we had a lot of upcoming depth for more depth upfront. We all assume he WANTED to move Drysdale and not the Drysdale was REQUIRED for that trade. At this point he hasn't done anything that I recall that he said he wouldn't.
I think we can agree that PV is old school and wants to build a team that will succeed in the playoffs that is known for size, skating, physicality, work ethic, and honest toughness. Skilled players that don't have those attributes don't seem to be high on his wish list. He sure doesn't draft players who lack those attributes and - except for Strome - doesn't sign them either (I think he sees some of Vatrano in himself and Vatrano can be a tough little SOB in his own way).

PV got both skill AND physicality with Carlsson.

The only thing we know for sure about the Drysdale trade was that PV was willing to trade him. I have my thoughts about it and you can have yours but clearly he was willing to trade him and I believe the reason was that Drysdale was everything that PV didn't want in a defenseman.

Terry being resigned doesn't strike me one way or another...the team needs guys who can score goals and at least he plays the game the right way for PV.

I'm not going to list TZ's deficiencies as a hockey player b/c too many fanboys will attack me and I don't need the aggravation. If you're being honest though, you have to see them. I see an immaturity in his nature that he needs to grow out of in order to be a better hockey player. Maybe PV will be patient and see if he does mature as a man and a hockey player. We'll see. In another thread I put the odds of a Zegras trade at about 25% which means I believe he'll be in the lineup on opening night. But if PV gets an attractive offer he'll be gone...just like Drysdale was. And the reason will be the same...neither guy plays the game the way PV wants his players to play the game.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I believe I read on the main board that Fitzgerald (NJ GM) was looking for a goalie with term. Ullmark has 1 year left, Markstrom 2, and Gibson 3. Not saying that puts JG at the top of their list but it could be a factor.

To add to this point, Trotz is stating he wants to keep Saros and I believe Calgary ownership wants Markstrom to stay as well. If that's the case, it limits the market for New Jersey who is actively looking. Ullmark will have a few suitors and he would need to be re-signed soon. Gibson offers 3 years of certainty.

Personally, I have always preferred Gibson to stay because a reliable goalie is tough to find and Gibson is good enough to get a team to the playoffs if the team in front of him isn't historically bad. That being said, this might be the right time if the deal is worth it. No reason to sell for cheap

Reactions: Boo Boo and tomd

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
To add to this point, Trotz is stating he wants to keep Saros and I believe Calgary ownership wants Markstrom to stay as well. If that's the case, it limits the market for New Jersey who is actively looking. Ullmark will have a few suitors and he would need to be re-signed soon. Gibson offers 3 years of certainty.

Personally, I have always preferred Gibson to stay because a reliable goalie is tough to find and Gibson is good enough to get a team to the playoffs if the team in front of him isn't historically bad. That being said, this might be the right time if the deal is worth it. No reason to sell for cheap

Could New Jersey be more interested in dostal? He’s the right age for New Jerseys window and I think would have more value than Gibson. It might have a better chance at landing their top pick.

Then we sign a stopgap for a year or 2 until one our other goalie prospects is ready. That lines up a bit better with Gibsons age and contract although I kind of like dostal as our future starter.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Could New Jersey be more interested in dostal? He’s the right age for New Jerseys window and I think would have more value than Gibson. It might have a better chance at landing their top pick.

Then we sign a stopgap for a year or 2 until one our other goalie prospects is ready. That lines up a bit better with Gibsons age and contract although I kind of like dostal as our future starter.

Trading Dostal would be a mistake and I actually think Gibson retained would have more value.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think we can agree that PV is old school and wants to build a team that will succeed in the playoffs that is known for size, skating, physicality, work ethic, and honest toughness. Skilled players that don't have those attributes don't seem to be high on his wish list. He sure doesn't draft players who lack those attributes and - except for Strome - doesn't sign them either (I think he sees some of Vatrano in himself and Vatrano can be a tough little SOB in his own way).

PV got both skill AND physicality with Carlsson.

The only thing we know for sure about the Drysdale trade was that PV was willing to trade him. I have my thoughts about it and you can have yours but clearly he was willing to trade him and I believe the reason was that Drysdale was everything that PV didn't want in a defenseman.

Terry being resigned doesn't strike me one way or another...the team needs guys who can score goals and at least he plays the game the right way for PV.

I'm not going to list TZ's deficiencies as a hockey player b/c too many fanboys will attack me and I don't need the aggravation. If you're being honest though, you have to see them. I see an immaturity in his nature that he needs to grow out of in order to be a better hockey player. Maybe PV will be patient and see if he does mature as a man and a hockey player. We'll see. In another thread I put the odds of a Zegras trade at about 25% which means I believe he'll be in the lineup on opening night. But if PV gets an attractive offer he'll be gone...just like Drysdale was. And the reason will be the same...neither guy plays the game the way PV wants his players to play the game.
I'm very aware of Zs deficiencies. I agree he needs to mature. What I disagree with is the the idea that he can't provide the qualities the PV will appreciate. He has work ethic. I think he has passion for the game more than most here and that is very important too. It a driving force to improve. I have never gotten the sense that he's a lazy player. I think with maturation that passion will translate to toughness and hard to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad