Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don’t think we are a good match for Carolina in a Necas trade, but he definitely fits what we are looking for.

I think the matchup aspect is actually what makes it a more intriguing possibility. It’s hard to tell given Carolina really hasn’t been in a spot like under the current management but given how they operate I get the sense they don’t want to sell Necas for parts and something around Zegras/Necas is one of the few things around the entire league that makes sense to me. But obviously if you would never include Z in any of that then there isn’t much of a fit.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
"Why should I expect anything less from a group so obsessed with soft and small hockey players? Guess we want this team to get pushed around and abused forever. Trouba is a perfect fit for this team and would easily slot into our top pair. He'd provide offense, and actually lay the body so opponents think twice of messing with our young players."

A certain someone, probably.

Yeah I'd pass on Trouba. He's a liability in both zones so often and he's turned into a real headhunter. He gets away with that shit in NY for the most part but I can just see him adding to an already rough penalty volume problem on this team.
I agree we already have a tough physical defense we should look to bring back Klingman or someone similar. Great post

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Didn't disappoint.

Not for nothing, what do you guys think of going after Torey Krug or Jared Spurgeon?
Absolutely no on Krug, for many reasons, including the fact that he has an NTC that he already used to nix a deal last offseason. Spurgeon would be good I guess, but I don't see why Minnesota would trade him. He is also coming off a major injury.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Absolutely no on Krug, for many reasons, including the fact that he has an NTC that he already used to nix a deal last offseason. Spurgeon would be good I guess, but I don't see why Minnesota would trade him. He is also coming off a major injury.
I was entirely joking. (what do they have in common)

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Tracey likely is gonna be a UFA in a month.

Lacombe is not even close to Silfverberg IMO.
And the 1st we got back was not decided. The Oilers 1st is the 31-32.

I don’t think those packages are even close to the same.
I'm not saying the return is equal value, just that as a contender we sold Ryan for pieces. Ryan was also a 4x 30 goal scorer.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I feel like between Roy, Pesce and DeMelo we can get a Right Shot D that plays a style we really need

Here's a Stephens and Goldman article on Roy:

There are more teams looking to upgrade their right side who also have money to burn like Detroit and Utah. WPG might try hard to retain DeMelo too. It looks like those three RD's will be cashing in as there could be a bidding war for their services.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I also read somewhere (don't remember where exactly, so take it with a grain of salt) that Necas has a hard-on for playing center and doesn't want to move to wing, so that would definitely clog up the works a bit.

Zegras seems like the most likely candidate to migrate to wing anyways, but Leo/McTavish are pretty much penciled into our 1C/2C roles of the future. Necas on the roster would probably bump McTavish down to 3C which isn't ideal.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I also read somewhere (don't remember where exactly, so take it with a grain of salt) that Necas has a hard-on for playing center and doesn't want to move to wing, so that would definitely clog up the works a bit.

Zegras seems like the most likely candidate to migrate to wing anyways, but Leo/McTavish are pretty much penciled into our 1C/2C roles of the future. Necas on the roster would probably bump McTavish down to 3C which isn't ideal.
Maybe he’s also said it since but I’m pretty sure that’s from some time ago and at this point I’m not sure it’ll clog much. Carolina has mad a major hole at center for two years now and won’t run with him, chances are he’s just not a center at this level.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Necas is essentially a better version of prime Rakell. High skill dangler that can finish. Both came up as centers and eventually were forced to the wing because they challenge guys 1on1 more than with passing. Neither is strong defensively or in the dot and could use a playmaking center to set them up.

Not a guy that would be bad to pickup, but certainly not for Zegras.

Reactions: 70sSanO and Hey234

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Ducks listening on Gibson, Zegras​

The Anaheim Ducks hold the No. 3 pick in this month’s draft. If all goes to plan, they won’t be picking that high for a while after this year.

The hope is the team takes a tangible step next season.

“I think if you look at last year, it was a learning curve not only for our younger players but our older players, just kind of coming in for a different coaching style and accountability standard,” Ducks GM Pat Verbeek told The Athletic, referring to first-year coach Greg Cronin. “I think that was a huge culture shock for the majority of the players. But looking into next season, I think they got through it and now they understand.

“So I think there’s going to be a different mindset, a different approach and a lot better understanding of what’s expected. So it’ll be different from that aspect. The learning curve is going (to) be lesser.

“So yeah, I’m expecting us to take a step.”

To help in that process, Verbeek is eyeing some roster upgrades.

“I’d like to add a couple more veteran pieces to the group,” he said. “I’d like to find a top-six winger, and I’d like to find a top-four defenseman. You know, 31 other teams could say the same thing, right?”

He smiled as he said that. But those are nevertheless the hopeful additions.

“I’m trying to make our lineup deeper while having the younger kids gain more experience, learn from veteran players and not have to bear the burden of producing offensively,” Verbeek said.

The idea is to better insulate his younger core, which could come via the trade market or free agency.

“I’m exploring all of it,” Verbeek said.

Speaking of the trade market, I did ask the Ducks GM about John Gibson’s future. Gibson, who turns 31 next month, has three years left on his contract at a $6.4 million average annual value.

“John’s still a really good goalie,” Verbeek said. “Obviously there’s a market for goalies out there.”

The Ducks GM didn’t want to comment further, but my sense is that Anaheim still values Gibson and would be fine keeping him but will continue to take calls, too.

And finally, Trevor Zegras trade chatter has resurfaced. Verbeek would not comment on that, but other league sources suggest the Ducks are listening on him and would consider moving him in the right deal. They’re obviously deeper up front, which is why they could afford to move him.

Listening to trade offers and deciding to pull the trigger are two different things. I would say TBD on that one …

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

Ducks listening on Gibson, Zegras​

The Anaheim Ducks hold the No. 3 pick in this month’s draft. If all goes to plan, they won’t be picking that high for a while after this year.

The hope is the team takes a tangible step next season.

“I think if you look at last year, it was a learning curve not only for our younger players but our older players, just kind of coming in for a different coaching style and accountability standard,” Ducks GM Pat Verbeek told The Athletic, referring to first-year coach Greg Cronin. “I think that was a huge culture shock for the majority of the players. But looking into next season, I think they got through it and now they understand.

“So I think there’s going to be a different mindset, a different approach and a lot better understanding of what’s expected. So it’ll be different from that aspect. The learning curve is going (to) be lesser.

“So yeah, I’m expecting us to take a step.”

To help in that process, Verbeek is eyeing some roster upgrades.

“I’d like to add a couple more veteran pieces to the group,” he said. “I’d like to find a top-six winger, and I’d like to find a top-four defenseman. You know, 31 other teams could say the same thing, right?”

He smiled as he said that. But those are nevertheless the hopeful additions.

“I’m trying to make our lineup deeper while having the younger kids gain more experience, learn from veteran players and not have to bear the burden of producing offensively,” Verbeek said.

The idea is to better insulate his younger core, which could come via the trade market or free agency.

“I’m exploring all of it,” Verbeek said.

Speaking of the trade market, I did ask the Ducks GM about John Gibson’s future. Gibson, who turns 31 next month, has three years left on his contract at a $6.4 million average annual value.

“John’s still a really good goalie,” Verbeek said. “Obviously there’s a market for goalies out there.”

The Ducks GM didn’t want to comment further, but my sense is that Anaheim still values Gibson and would be fine keeping him but will continue to take calls, too.

And finally, Trevor Zegras trade chatter has resurfaced. Verbeek would not comment on that, but other league sources suggest the Ducks are listening on him and would consider moving him in the right deal. They’re obviously deeper up front, which is why they could afford to move him.

Listening to trade offers and deciding to pull the trigger are two different things. I would say TBD on that one …
I'll ignore the Zegras part because there isn't much to it, but his comment about Gibson is interesting. I still think a Gibson for Husso swap makes a lot of sense.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
People probably should start preparing for the idea Zegras might get dealt. Not saying it’s gonna happen but there’s way too much smoke to still think he’s completely untouchable.

Also, I think Gibby gets dealt. Isn’t hard to fathom that Verbeek would’ve held back on that front until he knew they had a viable replacement and now they probably do. New Jersey makes a lot of sense imo.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
People probably should start preparing for the idea Zegras might get dealt. Not saying it’s gonna happen but there’s way too much smoke to still think he’s completely untouchable.

Also, I think Gibby gets dealt. Isn’t hard to fathom that Verbeek would’ve held back on that front until he knew they had a viable replacement and now they probably do. New Jersey makes a lot of sense imo.
Gibson definitely fits NJ, but I think he would be a backup plan for them. They seem pretty set on Markstrom, and LeBrun mentions Ullmark as a possibility, too. If they strike out on both of them, then I can see them going after Gibson.

Reactions: Static
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad