Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The fit has to be both ways. He has no reason to want to come here.

I can think of at lea$t $ome rea$on$ he would $ign in Anaheim. Just like $trome and Killorn or, for that matter, a player like $tamko$.

The duck$ will need to overpay to get that type of player. Kane would likely be le$$ term/AAV than $tamko$ which is why he could be a fit.

I’m sure Kane, who has voiced wanting to play for a team he thinks will win multiple times, has a ton of interest in signing for a bottom 3 team in the league

You do realize he signed in Detroit? So winning clearly wasn't the primary concern last year.

I'm not saying he's a perfect fit in Anaheim or that he would have interest. But to just discount it is wrong imo. It will be a function of what his other options are and what is important to him.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
You do realize he signed in Detroit? So winning clearly wasn't the primary concern last year.

I'm not saying he's a perfect fit in Anaheim or that he would have interest. But to just discount it is wrong imo. It will be a function of what his other options are and what is important to him.
While Detroit wasn’t a top contender, they were firmly in a playoff spot when he signed (they were 11-6-3 at the time). Not to mention he is apparently great friends with DeBrincat (which is also why Stamkos coming here at least has a tiny bit of merit given his relationship with Killorn). Kane pretty clearly only considered teams in the East, too. Not sure if that’s changed, but it would surprise me if it did. Overall, Kane has essentially no reason to come here UNLESSS we offer him an outrageous deal that nobody else can compete with. He is also reportedly looking for term on his next deal, and I’m definitely not comfortable with that given he just had a serious hip surgery. I’ll give him credit for putting up points, but he was also just as bad as ever defensively which canceled out much of his impact.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It’s just par for the coarse for these boards really.

Can’t sign a Stamkos, Reinhart or a Marchessaut because of potential future cap issues. Signing someone like Kane will apparently be a locker room concern, etc.

Any wishful thinking of improving the team gets shot down lmao. You see names spat out here like Henrique, Carrick or Manson for a potential return just makes me look at the team as not wanting to strive and be better.
Well it depends on who you're looking at and whether Samueli is still directing the team to operate within an internal budget. I'd like Marchessault on this team. Would I like it if we paid him 7.5m+ for 4 years or whatever crazy shit he can command in this rising cap market after a Conn Smythe and a 40 goal season? No probably not. Not when we have a bunch of RFAs to re-sign within the next 1-3 years and they will be looking for raises between 4-7m.

Ditto Stamkos. I'd love to get him in for a couple years at 8 or so million. Is he going to accept that contract? Almost surely not. Should we bump the AAV and term to buy the novelty of a guy who aged out of superstardom just to buy 60 or so points and the right to add him to the all time roster? In my opinion, no.

Reinhart is due for a mega contract with the way he's been playing in these playoffs. Is he worth 8.5 for 6-7 years in a bubble? Yeah probably considering the increasing cap. Does it make sense to give that kind of contract to a 28 year old who is relatively aged past our current youth core (as in, by the time a lot of our young guys are negotiating their second contracts we'll have his 8.5+ on the books while he's getting closer to retirement age)? That depends on how much of his strong performance comes from the strength of Florida's roster/coaching. I personally don't see Reinhart as a guy who will drive the performance of this team, but a guy who will depend on how well the rest of the team does. I'd be fine with 6 years at 7.5m but he'd probably want more.

The thing is it's nice to think "you gotta pay to play" LA did it and won a couple cups. But they also continued to do it and ended up with the Dubois albatross and f***ed their own rebuild to buy a few more playoff appearances for Doughty and Kopitar. Vegas did it and bought themselves half a decade of playoff performance and a cup. But because they've spent to the cap every year they're stuck with contracts and aging and or broken players and are about to go through ten+ years of being a middling team as a result. You can argue it's a fair trade off but you can't just look at a high level player in a bubble and say "write a blank check to get this guy" especially when you're talking about past-prime guys like Stamkos, Kane, and Marchessault (soon enough). If you can get guys like that on reasonable deals while our cap burden isn't high, then sure, go for it. Overpaying for a guy like that with term complicates future contracts for our young (hopefully) stars for not enough benefit.

But for guys like say, Reinhart, Marner, etc. Anaheim isn't the most desirable market due to current competitiveness, very high tax obligation, and less prestige than a market like LA. If you're overpaying for a star player you better be damn sure he's going to be worth it. In the case of Marner, does it really make sense to give him 11.5-12.5 million for 7-8 years when he's shown that his ability to be a difference maker in the playoffs is suspect at best? Is it worth committing that much money to another guy who always wants the puck and may not perform as well when separated from Matthews and Nylander?

I think there's valid concerns and trepediation when it comes to just blindly throwing blank checks at big name players simply on the virtue that their names are big when the team is already in the process of trying to homegrow a youth core of potential superstars.

Vegas was able to get away with it because they opted to throw all futures to the wind and spend to the cap and it just happened to work for them. Now they've done it again in the hopes that they can repeat. They didn't and they're looking at an era of hockey where they have no depth to speak of, no youth core to supplement aging guys on heavy contracts out, and they're still right up against the cap after the Hertl and Hanifin acquisitions. This team is taking a different approach and I think they should be smart about free agent and trade pickups lest the team burn money for nothing and miss their chance for optimal pick ups that make sense for the roster they're building as opposed to shoehorning in big name players for the sake of getting them as they become available.

Last edited:

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Would you guys be down to bring Jonathan toews as a 4t line center I gotta feeling he's got a lot of prove. And

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Chris Johnston at the Athletic today has Matt Roy at 16th on his Free Agent summer list. His contract prediction is 5 years x 6.1. Johnston gave him high defense ratings on his system. Here's what he said:

As a steady right-shot defenseman who kills penalties and produces strong defensive results, Roy is about to get paid.

He plays with intensity and can accommodate different playing partners. He thrives when given a big workload. He gets around the rink effectively.

While these aren’t necessarily attributes that tend to attract a lot of attention, one NHL executive said of Roy: “I think he’s as good as it comes defensively.”

I would take that contract. Just seems like a solid fit. Hopefully he doesn't want to move.

Mr Quacksworth

Apr 8, 2018
Anaheim
While Detroit wasn’t a top contender, they were firmly in a playoff spot when he signed (they were 11-6-3 at the time). Not to mention he is apparently great friends with DeBrincat (which is also why Stamkos coming here at least has a tiny bit of merit given his relationship with Killorn). Kane pretty clearly only considered teams in the East, too. Not sure if that’s changed, but it would surprise me if it did. Overall, Kane has essentially no reason to come here UNLESSS we offer him an outrageous deal that nobody else can compete with. He is also reportedly looking for term on his next deal, and I’m definitely not comfortable with that given he just had a serious hip surgery. I’ll give him credit for putting up points, but he was also just as bad as ever defensively which canceled out much of his impact.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Why not?

Verbeek has a history of signing vet forwards and is probably closer to Patrick Kane than any GM in the league.
Home come hes so close ? Because he signed with his former boss ? Not sure how else as I don’t believe he has any association to Chicago?

I can think of at lea$t $ome rea$on$ he would $ign in Anaheim. Just like $trome and Killorn or, for that matter, a player like $tamko$.

The duck$ will need to overpay to get that type of player. Kane would likely be le$$ term/AAV than $tamko$ which is why he could be a fit.

Yeah but Detroit looked like they were gonna potentially contend this year. Regardless, it seems he signed there since Debrincat got traded there . Anaheim is also not too close to Buffalo

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Chris Johnston at the Athletic today has Matt Roy at 16th on his Free Agent summer list. His contract prediction is 5 years x 6.1. Johnston gave him high defense ratings on his system. Here's what he said:

I would take that contract. Just seems like a solid fit. Hopefully he doesn't want to move.
Would be a great add but I’d like a bit more size on the backend. Should we throw money at another defender under 6 ft? I mean , he’s great defensively but I’d rather have a large, physically dominant D that is defensively sound.

Pretty bummed out we couldn’t get Zadorov. Id look more into a Hakannapa reunion opposed to the undersized, not too offensive D.
Would you guys be down to bring Jonathan toews as a 4t line center I gotta feeling he's got a lot of prove. And
would be cool if him, Kane, and Stammer signed + Hedman next year.

Would give off some early 2000s Avs vibes except one of the best young cores in the league.

Doubt toews returns though, he’s likely done after a year off. Although, pretty sure teemu took a year off then won a cup.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Would be a great add but I’d like a bit more size on the backend. Should we throw money at another defender under 6 ft? I mean , he’s great defensively but I’d rather have a large, physically dominant D that is defensively sound.

NHL.com has him listed at 6'2" and 210? Seems big enough to me. Also, while he's not Gudas level physical, he would definitely be the 2nd most physical defenseman on the team. You might be thinking of another player.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
NHL.com has him listed at 6'2" and 210? Seems big enough to me. Also, while he's not Gudas level physical, he would definitely be the 2nd most physical defenseman on the team. You might be thinking of another player.
I stand corrected. I was thinking of former king Sean Walker

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Really why is that?
Home come hes so close ? Because he signed with his former boss ? Not sure how else as I don’t believe he has any association to Chicago?

Yeah but Detroit looked like they were gonna potentially contend this year. Regardless, it seems he signed there since Debrincat got traded there . Anaheim is also not too close to Buffalo
Kane lived with the Verbeeks when he was 14

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Kane lived with the Verbeeks when he was 14
"As a 14-year-old, you played for Honeybaked, a AAA program based in Southeastern Michigan. You moved in with former NHL player, Pat Verbeek, for a couple seasons. What was that experience like living with an NHLer? Are there any hockey/life lessons Pat passed along to you during that time period?

That was awesome. It was one of the main reasons I went to Detroit, knowing I was going to live with a former NHL player who scored 500 goals. He is small in stature like I was at that time, so I felt I could learn a lot from him. One thing I learned from him is that he was fearless. He was one of those guys who really wanted to make sure I was doing my best every shift."

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
"As a 14-year-old, you played for Honeybaked, a AAA program based in Southeastern Michigan. You moved in with former NHL player, Pat Verbeek, for a couple seasons. What was that experience like living with an NHLer? Are there any hockey/life lessons Pat passed along to you during that time period?

That was awesome. It was one of the main reasons I went to Detroit, knowing I was going to live with a former NHL player who scored 500 goals. He is small in stature like I was at that time, so I felt I could learn a lot from him. One thing I learned from him is that he was fearless. He was one of those guys who really wanted to make sure I was doing my best every shift."

Pretty cool stuff

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad