Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This is why Verbeek gave the disclaimer everyone fails to recall, that he’s not sure he can get both the RW and the RD.
Weirdly enough I think a trade for a RD is more likely than a free agent. Seems like a good amount of playoff contenders have a need there and the space to sign those guys, but there could be a few cap casualties that better teams can’t make work. I doubt this team is going to find a long-term solution in free agency so a band-aid is more than fine.

If that’s the route the Rangers go to fix their cap situation then I think Trouba could make a ton of sense.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is why Verbeek gave the disclaimer everyone fails to recall, that he’s not sure he can get both the RW and the RD.

I'd rather just let our youth develop another season to see what we have and don't have or still in construction. Our youths are the ones that need to carry us out of the bottom. We should be using FA to support our youths, not lead our youths. Wasn't that that point of burning it to the ground a few seasons ago?

Reactions: Deuce22 and Beckett

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I'd rather just let our youth develop another season to see what we have and don't have or still in construction. Our youths are the ones that need to carry us out of the bottom. We should be using FA to support our youths, not lead our youths. Wasn't that that point of burning it to the ground a few seasons ago?

I disagree. Adding 2 players doesn't disrupt any development. Losing does hurt development though. I think it's imperative that the Ducks add a top 4 RD and a top 6 RW.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I disagree. Adding 2 players doesn't disrupt any development. Losing does hurt development though. I think it's imperative that the Ducks add a top 4 RD and a top 6 RW.
I'd go one step farther and also add another vet RHD (but through trade on a 1 year deal (like the Lybushkin deal) IF the plan isn't to play any of the kids on their off side. Luneau missed a LOT of time, let him get his game and energy back in the AHL. Move the rental D at the deadline if the team is out of playoffs or Luneau is ready. We don't really have anyone else on the right side that's going to be ready by the end of next year, the year after is the last year of the Gudas contract (and we may not have anyone ready at that point either, pending how the draft goes).

Edit: Also add, in addition to a real top 4 RD and top 6 RW.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Stopgap guys that you overpay for a short period are fine. Long term UFA that you overpay significantly get you a Tavares to Toronto situation where you never get a team discount afterwards from any of your young players.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Weirdly enough I think a trade for a RD is more likely than a free agent. Seems like a good amount of playoff contenders have a need there and the space to sign those guys, but there could be a few cap casualties that better teams can’t make work. I doubt this team is going to find a long-term solution in free agency so a band-aid is more than fine.

If that’s the route the Rangers go to fix their cap situation then I think Trouba could make a ton of sense.
I agree with this up to Trouba. Do not want. Especially not coming back from a broken ankle in a guy who already throws elbows because he’s not fleet of foot.

Reactions: JAHV
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I agree with this up to Trouba. Do not want. Especially not coming back from a broken ankle in a guy who already throws elbows because he’s not fleet of foot.
He’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. I do like him, aside from the obvious stuff, but I bring him up more because he immediately jumps off the page as a big minute RHD who could be available and are tough for better teams to make fit. Other potential options are a lot harder to forecast at this point, a lot of moving parts.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

If we're in a rush to look good in the standings, then sure, go get a top-6RW and top-4RD. But we're going into year 3 of the reset rebuild that went scorched earth and put through several first time rookies into the NHL last year. Carlsson, Minty, LaCombe, Luneau, and Zellweger are those rookies, but the latter two didn't play a full season in the NHL. Then we're adding another rookie next year in Cutter Gauthier. We also signed RW Colangelo and could fight his way onto the NHL roster.

Also, I wonder what we do have in RD Lindstrom, who seemed to play better defensively once he arrived in Anaheim.

But if we're not gonna bring back Lindstrom, then I'd like to acquire Roy because we don't have any RD ready to be in the NHL today beyond Luneau. But we do have LD's who do play RD in LaCombe and Zellweger.

It just seems odd to rush things after going scorched earth. But PV will do PV things.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we're in a rush to look good in the standings, then sure, go get a top-6RW and top-4RD. But we're going into year 3 of the reset rebuild that went scorched earth and put through several first time rookies into the NHL last year. Carlsson, Minty, LaCombe, Luneau, and Zellweger are those rookies, but the latter two didn't play a full season in the NHL. Then we're adding another rookie next year in Cutter Gauthier. We also signed RW Colangelo and could fight his way onto the NHL roster.

Also, I wonder what we do have in RD Lindstrom, who seemed to play better defensively once he arrived in Anaheim.

But if we're not gonna bring back Lindstrom, then I'd like to acquire Roy because we don't have any RD ready to be in the NHL today beyond Luneau. But we do have LD's who do play RD in LaCombe and Zellweger.

It just seems odd to rush things after going scorched earth. But PV will do PV things.
There's nothing rushed, the point of PV selling off the veterans he inherited was to build the team with the players he wants to bring in, both internally through the draft/prospect trades and externally with veterans. This is nothing more than a direct continuation of what he's already been doing

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
He’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. I do like him, aside from the obvious stuff, but I bring him up more because he immediately jumps off the page as a big minute RHD who could be available and are tough for better teams to make fit. Other potential options are a lot harder to forecast at this point, a lot of moving parts.
Maybe it's a little gamble after his injury, but man, Trouba seems really nice. Top pairing vet RD that hits and blocks shots, and only 2 years left right? Perfect stopgap.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Finished up our mock draft/off season. Ended up making the following moves (negotiated through PMs with fans of other teams).

Trades
- John Gibson to COL for Alexandar Georgiev & Josh Manson
- 24th overall & 59th overall to TB for 15th overall (Michael Brandsegg-Nygard) * this started before the Oilers made WCF
- Alexandar Georgiev to NJ for Leeni Hameenaho & 75th overall
- 35th overall & 75th overall to COL for 25th overall (Adam Jiricek)

Signings (just an open bid system with the commissioner running the game acting as agent for all players)

Steven Stamkos - 19M/2 years (9.5M AAV)
Matt Roy - 36M/6 years (6M AAV)
Anthony Stolarz - 5M/2 years (2.5M AAV)

Alex Killorn - Leo Carlsson - Steven Stamkos
Cutter Gauthier - Trevor Zegras - Troy Terry
Frank Vatrano - Mason McTavish - Ryan Strome
Pavol Regenda - Isac Lundestrom - Brett Leason
Ross Johnston

Cam Fowler - Matt Roy
Pavol Mintyukov - Radko Gudas
Olen Zellweger - Josh Manson - Jackson Lacombe

Lukas Dostal
Anthony Stolarz

Pretty deep team without glaring holes. I do find that the group lacks team speed which would be something to address moving forward. Would be nice to swap out Lundy for a right handed C who is a faceoff/defensive beast. Lacombe became a bit of an odd man out, although in this scenario, maybe you shop Cam and look to move the lefties all up a slot.

If we can get to the point where the Vatrano - McTavish - Strome line that clicked last year, are technically our third line on paper - that's some quality depth and won't be easy to matchup.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Finished up our mock draft/off season. Ended up making the following moves (negotiated through PMs with fans of other teams).

Trades
- John Gibson to COL for Alexandar Georgiev & Josh Manson
- 24th overall & 59th overall to TB for 15th overall (Michael Brandsegg-Nygard) * this started before the Oilers made WCF
- Alexandar Georgiev to NJ for Leeni Hameenaho & 75th overall
- 35th overall & 75th overall to COL for 25th overall (Adam Jiricek)

Signings (just an open bid system with the commissioner running the game acting as agent for all players)

Steven Stamkos - 19M/2 years (9.5M AAV)
Matt Roy - 36M/6 years (6M AAV)
Anthony Stolarz - 5M/2 years (2.5M AAV)

Alex Killorn - Leo Carlsson - Steven Stamkos
Cutter Gauthier - Trevor Zegras - Troy Terry
Frank Vatrano - Mason McTavish - Ryan Strome
Pavol Regenda - Isac Lundestrom - Brett Leason
Ross Johnston

Cam Fowler - Matt Roy
Pavol Mintyukov - Radko Gudas
Olen Zellweger - Josh Manson - Jackson Lacombe

Lukas Dostal
Anthony Stolarz

Pretty deep team without glaring holes. I do find that the group lacks team speed which would be something to address moving forward. Would be nice to swap out Lundy for a right handed C who is a faceoff/defensive beast. Lacombe became a bit of an odd man out, although in this scenario, maybe you shop Cam and look to move the lefties all up a slot.

If we can get to the point where the Vatrano - McTavish - Strome line that clicked last year, are technically our third line on paper - that's some quality depth and won't be easy to matchup.
What’s the prospect pool look like? If I remember correctly you took saliyev, mbn and jiricek?

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What’s the prospect pool look like? If I remember correctly you took saliyev, mbn and jiricek?

1 - 3 - LD Anton Silayev
1 - 15 - RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
1 - 25 - RD Adam Jiricek
2 - 51 - RW Adam Jecho
3 - 66 - RD Spencer Gill
3 - 79 - G Mikhail Yegorov
6-164 - RW Dylan Hryckowian

+ added Hameenaho through trade, reminds me of a young Silf Lenni Hämeenaho - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
1 - 3 - LD Anton Silayev
1 - 15 - RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
1 - 25 - RD Adam Jiricek
2 - 51 - RW Adam Jecho
3 - 66 - RD Spencer Gill
3 - 79 - G Mikhail Yegorov
6-164 - RW Dylan Hryckowian

+ added Hameenaho through trade, reminds me of a young Silf Lenni Hämeenaho - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Not bad haul…. I’m still not high but getting jiricek Jecho and mbn out weights my dislike of silayev

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Trouba is worth it just for the pure hatred conjured by having one of him or Gudas on the ice for the majority of each game. You would probably have to go back to the 90s to find a pair of RHD that dirty on the same roster haha, people would hate it.

• Haha
Reactions: duckpuck

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
:laugh:

If Trouba is on a top pair that team is finishing bottom 5.
I guess he's fallen off a lot. I admit most of my knowledge is coming from fantasy hockey, but we count hits and blocked shots and Trouba is always highly rated for that reason. Isn't that and minute crunching basically the same as what we'd get with Roy? Only a year apart too.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Trouba is worth it just for the pure hatred conjured by having one of him or Gudas on the ice for the majority of each game. You would probably have to go back to the 90s to find a pair of RHD that dirty on the same roster haha, people would hate it.
I would hate it. Well, I love Gudas, but have no desire for Trouba.

A lot of “no to this guy, no to that guy”. have to say yes on someone lol
I would love Roy or Pesce. Demelo is a decent option. As for trade targets, I don't know who might be available. I just know I don't want Trouba.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There's nothing rushed, the point of PV selling off the veterans he inherited was to build the team with the players he wants to bring in, both internally through the draft/prospect trades and externally with veterans. This is nothing more than a direct continuation of what he's already been doing

Yeah, his 2022 off-season acquisition is great proof of what he wanted to bring in - especially that defense. What a disaster of that was, which Verbeek expected the team to be a .500 team to start the season.

It's just another flip flop, but it's a great thing Verbeek reset the rebuild so that he buys time to make up for the many mistakes he makes all along the way.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I would hate it. Well, I love Gudas, but have no desire for Trouba.

I would love Roy or Pesce. Demelo is a decent option. As for trade targets, I don't know who might be available. I just know I don't want Trouba.
Yeah that wasn’t really meant to you in particular and I noticed you mentioned Roy earlier. Generally we have pretty high standards around here for free agents. Basically we will have to overpay for someone, but being thrifty isn’t always the right decision.

Reactions: ohcomeonref
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad