Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wonder who he's going to eventually replace at the NHL level. Probably Bennett

I'm guessing no one. If he fizzles as a coach they'll shunt him to some kind of player development role. He can shepherd the kids struggling with their skating and show how you can have a somewhat ugly-looking stride and still be fast.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Since I didn't really follow the Eagles this year, can anyone give a recap on Peter Holland. I know the Eagles didn't re-sign him and he's a free agent, but I was sort of pulling for him on a personal level. However, once it was clear he was AHL bound, he just fell completely off my radar.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Wait...the AGM in Minnesota/GM in Iowa is Edmonton fan-favorite (at least if you speak to Mark Spector) and former Avs shootout King Matt Hendricks!?
Dude is the real deal 100% alpha male leader. :sarcasm:

I loved him as a lower line forward but his leadership I thought was pretty significantly overblown. He was a less talented LOC who would willingly fight whenever it was called for.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dude is the real deal 100% alpha male leader. :sarcasm:

I loved him as a lower line forward but his leadership I thought was pretty significantly overblown. He was a less talented LOC who would willingly fight whenever it was called for.
Back when I still thought highly of Joel Quenneville, I was still insanely bitter about two things--one, the fact that he almost singlehandedly stopped the most improbable run to the playoffs in team history simply because he thought it would be a good idea to put a rusty-as-f*** Karlis Skrastins (God rest that poor man's soul) back in the lineup, even though the team sparked that crazy run AFTER he went down with injury...and two, Q absolutely hated then-prospect Johnny Boychuk to the point where he would only play him in preseason as a forward, so the Avs threw him to Boston in exchange for Matt Hendricks. Hendricks was a perfectly fine 4C and, as Joe Sacco accidentally found out, quite good at shootouts. But he was not worth a legit top-four defensive prospect who ended up winning a Stanley Cup and playing over 700 NHL games.

Anyway, the fawning that always took place by the local scribes wherever he went was just ridiculous. I have no doubt whatsoever that if Jim Matheson and Mark Spector ran the Oilers, they would've found a way to deal away Connor McDavid and made Hendricks captain (while also slapping the alternate captain patch on Kris Russell).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyway, the fawning that always took place by the local scribes wherever he went was just ridiculous. I have no doubt whatsoever that if Jim Matheson and Mark Spector ran the Oilers, they would've found a way to deal away Connor McDavid and made Hendricks captain (while also slapping the alternate captain patch on Kris Russell).
Lmao imagine living here and at the time having to listen to the losers in the media actually debate about who should be captain: Connor McDavid or Matt Hendricks. It was an actual thing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Since I didn't really follow the Eagles this year, can anyone give a recap on Peter Holland. I know the Eagles didn't re-sign him and he's a free agent, but I was sort of pulling for him on a personal level. However, once it was clear he was AHL bound, he just fell completely off my radar.
He had one great month, I think it was October and then Father Time caught up to him and he was injured most of the rest of the year.

Eagles trying to party like it’s 2019 again.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He had one great month, I think it was October and then Father Time caught up to him and he was injured most of the rest of the year.

Eagles trying to party like it’s 2019 again.
Thanks for the info @tigervixxen! I just admired his stick withitness. Finally makes the NHL for a couple of years, then back to the AHL for two more seasons with three different teams (and a 23 game run with NYR) then off to the KHL for two seasons and then the SHL before retiring for a year before attempting his comeback with us. Didn't think he really had a chance in hell, but admired that he was going out there on the wrong side of 30 trying to make it back into the NHL after so long.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
any thoughts on how the Eagles squad is looking right now? I saw they will have the return of some veterans who are arguably AHL stars, so assuming Wagner, Innala, etc play down there... the squad doesnt look too bad, imo. needs a starter goalie and one more decent D.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
any thoughts on how the Eagles squad is looking right now? I saw they will have the return of some veterans who are arguably AHL stars, so assuming Wagner, Innala, etc play down there... the squad doesnt look too bad, imo. needs a starter goalie and one more decent D.
We definitely need to sign one more goalie. A #3 I would imagine. Cause as it stands right now; Georgiev, Annunen, and Miner are the ones signed to NHL deals. As far as the defense goes, I feel like we’re pretty set there. I think Malinski will start up with the Avs as I believe (not 100% sure) he can get claimed on waivers. So Eagles could roll with this potentially to start:

Middleton - MacDonald
Ahcan - Aamodt
Behrens - Rosen

Garrett Pyke also on a 2 year AHL deal that starts this year.

Not a single person right handed lol. But I believe Macdonald can play both sides. Behrens possibly too?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Eagles are forever a first round exit sort of team. They need real drafted talent and a plan to use them to get beyond that. The mercenaries can only take them so far and this group is all 30++. They have a real home ice advantage in Loveland which gives them a boost otherwise the org’s AHL team circled the drain before the move. So competitive enough but nothing to really get excited about.

Completely agree that they have to sign a goalie, either a third or NHL backup and push Annunen down. I’m curious why they haven’t done this yet as quite a few ok good decent ones have signed for cheap. My guess is they are waiting for Martin Jones to sign for peanuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone Breaker

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Malinski is waiver-exempt for one more season
No he’s not, he received one year of waiver exemption for signing at 25, it wasn’t even an ELC.

As far as Landy, LOC and Lehky I’d really on,y bet on LOC playing by then. Lehky I could see linger a week or two and read between the lines Gabe is probably already ruled out for October.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Eagles are forever a first round exit sort of team. They need real drafted talent and a plan to use them to get beyond that. The mercenaries can only take them so far and this group is all 30++. They have a real home ice advantage in Loveland which gives them a boost otherwise the org’s AHL team circled the drain before the move. So competitive enough but nothing to really get excited about.

Completely agree that they have to sign a goalie, either a third or NHL backup and push Annunen down. I’m curious why they haven’t done this yet as quite a few ok good decent ones have signed for cheap. My guess is they are waiting for Martin Jones to sign for peanuts.

Eagles were in the 2nd round in 2021 under the previous playoff format. 2022-on instituted the preliminary round. Where the Eagles moved on in 2022 and 2023. The Eagles have moved on from that round 2 of the last 3 seasons (this past season was a 2-1 loss in OT). Last season was the first time since the inaugural AHL season where the Eagles failed to win one series. It is just factually incorrect to say they are a forever a first round exit team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I refuse to call the best-of-three play-in round the Pacific division invented to get 7 of its 10 teams into the “playoffs” a playoff round when there’s still 4 rounds beyond that to win the Calder Cup. Yes, they actually advanced to the real second round once and they also lost the play-in last year. So that pretty much balances out to a first round exit sort of team or I could clarify to say round one of the actual playoffs exit team. That doesn’t mean that’s literally what will happen every single year but that’s the type of team they are and the general level of success that one could expect from them.

Remember in 2021 it was the covid shortened year and only the Pacific division had “playoffs”. The Eagles won one single playoff game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I refuse to call the best-of-three play-in round the Pacific division invented to get 7 of its 10 teams into the “playoffs” a playoff round when there’s still 4 rounds beyond that to win the Calder Cup. Yes, they actually advanced to the real second round once and they also lost the play-in last year. So that pretty much balances out to a first round exit sort of team or I could clarify to say round one of the actual playoffs exit team. That doesn’t mean that’s literally what will happen every single year but that’s the type of team they are and the general level of success that one could expect from them.

Remember in 2021 it was the covid shortened year and only the Pacific division had “playoffs”. The Eagles won one single playoff game.

The AHL calls it their first round. Whether or not you agree doesn't change the fact that it is the first round of the AHL playoffs. Which the Eagles have advanced on from in 2 of the 3 seasons they have had this playoff setup.

The 2021 was a pretty stupid format, they did still advance. If you outright eliminate that, then there have been 4 playoffs during the years that Colorado has been in the AHL. They have been in the 2nd round or beyond, by the AHL definition, 2 times and won 3 series. This is by far the most success the Avs have had with an AHL franchise since the Hershey Bears days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad