OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
With the men’s gymnasts winning team bronze, the women’s destroying everyone for gold, the women’s rugby team getting the crazy dramatic bronze…this has already been so damn entertaining. I’m not a summer games guy but this has been really fun

Women’s fencing epee, both singles and team was high drama too. The French fencer lost singles gold in the waning seconds, and then she lost in OT for gold in the team epee.
Men's All Around is insane. So many falls from the favorites. Going to be quite the finish. One rotation left. Frederick Richard is in 8th and Paul Juda is in 11th. Very respectable positions for the Americans, especially Richard who is only 20 years old.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Men's All Around is insane. So many falls from the favorites. Going to be quite the finish. One rotation left. Frederick Richard is in 8th and Paul Juda is in 11th. Very respectable positions for the Americans, especially Richard who is only 20 years old.
They could both finish dead last and i still would think they deserve a heroes welcome back home. Their performances in the team event were spectacular, and the way they’ve all carried themselves is something to be proud of. They are a very likable group!

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They could both finish dead last and i still would think they deserve a heroes welcome back home. Their performances in the team event were spectacular, and the way they’ve all carried themselves is something to be proud of. They are a very likable group!
They all better get parades and most importantly, I hope this is what men's gymnastics needs to grow the sport and stop so many clubs and schools from shuttering their programs. This team is super young too so I won't be surprised to see at least 2 of the 4 go for LA in 2028.

I am pumped to see some of the Olympians this winter when they are back in the NCAA especially now that OU is part of the SEC.

Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Off to the watch party for the local hero.
$1.50 domestic drafts / $1 slices!
IMG_6148.jpeg

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
American Express just texted me that someone attempted to buy $4,216.19 worth of groceries at

HALF MOON GROCERY INC.
360 E 79TH ST
CHICAGO, IL 60619

They will send a new card to my Paris hotel by 9 AM tomorrow
That's very interesting! There was a shipping company out of Chicago, that was the hub of series of fraudulent transactions that was charged to my Credit Card during Covid in 2020.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Amazing what the girls did versus France after going down 1-0 and eventually winning 2-1. They added 13 minutes of added time, then stretched it out to 17 before the final whistle.
Mick... girls were again incredible. Another great win facing adversity. Those girls are resilient and whatever comes to them, I am extremely proud of them. Cheers for the Soccer Canadian girls. Love them

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Looks like there are some serious concerns about the Chinese swimmers. They got caught doping last Olympics so it is understandable

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I’ve got a ton of respect for all the women competing in the 1,500 Free against Katie Ladecky.

They’re literally putting in thousands of meters in the pool, every single day, competing in an ass kicker of an event, and every single one of them knows that the best possible outcome for them is second place.

And yet they keep working their asses off every single day.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I’ve got a ton of respect for all the women competing in the 1,500 Free against Katie Ladecky.

They’re literally putting in thousands of meters in the pool, every single day, competing in an ass kicker of an event, and every single one of them knows that the best possible outcome for them is second place.

I agree.

And that's why I respect these athletes so much.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Watching Australia v Canada in the women's basketball and noticed that one of the Canadian players looked very much like a female version of Darnell Nurse. And yep, it's his sister Kia. So you've got the Nurses and the Oleksiaks - any other Canadian siblings out there who are top level athletes in different sports?

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

The Australian who came 6th in the final - Moesha Johnson - is also racing in the 10km open water swim. Don't think she's a serious medal chance in that either but you never know. She also has a degree in biomedical science. Point is she swims because she loves it, and it's not her everything. Can't speak for the other girls but I think that's the secret for at least some of them - the thrill is in the competition and the pursuit of personal excellence/betterment rather than the result. And you either diversify into other events and/or have other things going on in your life.

Not trying to downplay what they do because it's super-impressive and requires so much work and determination. But for the ones with a certain mindset, the fact that they ultimately can't win isn't really a hindrance. The fulfilment comes in the journey more so than the destination.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Watching Australia v Canada in the women's basketball and noticed that one of the Canadian players looked very much like a female version of Darnell Nurse. And yep, it's his sister Kia. So you've got the Nurses and the Oleksiaks - any other Canadian siblings out there who are top level athletes in different sports?

Kia is a graduate of the University of Connecticut and played for the Huskies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad