OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So happy for Simone Biles

Biles and Jarren Duran are my two favorite athletes

Both have been in very dark places and open about their mental health struggles.

There are not many if any I’ve rooted for more than them

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I do wonder how much media the girls will do after the competition. They haven't done any since being in Paris minus what Jade said about being sick after night one of competition. They announced prior to the games that they won't do media until after event finals are over.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I do wonder how much media the girls will do after the competition. They haven't done any since being in Paris minus what Jade said about being sick after night one of competition. They announced prior to the games that they won't do media until after event finals are over.
Im going to show my ignorance here, but is their further competition for them, or does it end with the team event? I thought there were individual competition as well.

I'm just thinking how sweet it must be to crush your event early and then just be able to soak it all in for the rest of the Olympics. I think that hits slightly different if they have further events coming up to be prepared for.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

@Alicat so next event is in 2 days (Aug 1)?

Then Aug 3 they start all the indiv stuff?

How can anyone not like cats~ I’m the worlds biggest dog guy saying this (no human has ever walked the planet who likes dogs more then me) but cats are great - I’m lying down watching baseball trade deadline and my tuxedo cat ‘Patrice Bergeron’ is curled up sleeping on me

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Im going to show my ignorance here, but is their further competition for them, or does it end with the team event? I thought there were individual competition as well.

I'm just thinking how sweet it must be to crush your event early and then just be able to soak it all in for the rest of the Olympics. I think that hits slightly different if they have further events coming up to be prepared for.
They still have all around (Top 24, 2 per country) and then event finals (Top 8)
All Around Finals - Suni, Simone
Floor - Jordan, Simone
Beam - Suni, Simone
Bars - Suni
Vault - Jade, Simone

2 per country kept Jordan Chiles out of the AA Finals and Vault Finals

For the men:

Men's AA - Frederic Richard, Paul Juda
Pommel Horse - Stephen Nedoroscik

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

@Alicat so next event is in 2 days (Aug 1)?

Then Aug 3 they start all the indiv stuff?

How can anyone not like cats~ I’m the worlds biggest dog guy saying this (no human has ever walked the planet who likes dogs more then me) but cats are great - I’m lying down watching baseball trade deadline and my tuxedo cat ‘Patrice Bergeron’ is curled up sleeping on me
Men's All Around is tomorrow, Women's All Around is Wednesday and then they have Event Finals Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

August 3 - Women's Vault, Men's Pommel Horse Finals
August 4 - Women's Bar Final
August 5 - Beam and Floor Finals

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule/artistic-gymnastics?day=31-july (scroll down for the full schedule by day)

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
They still have all around (Top 24, 2 per country) and then event finals (Top 8)
All Around Finals - Suni, Simone
Floor - Jordan, Simone
Beam - Suni, Simone
Bars - Suni
Vault - Jade, Simone

2 per country kept Jordan Chiles out of the AA Finals and Vault Finals

For the men:

Men's AA - Frederic Richard, Paul Juda
Pommel Horse - Stephen Nedoroscik
Thank you, I only watch these things once every 4 years (pretty much every Olympic sport) so I can never tell if I am remembering right or if I am confusing it with something I heard in passing about another big event.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Thank you, I only watch these things once every 4 years (pretty much every Olympic sport) so I can never tell if I am remembering right or if I am confusing it with something I heard in passing about another big event.
You should watch more gymnastics :) College gymnastics is so much fun. Not sure if Jordan will go back to UCLA or if Jade goes back to Oregon State but there are plenty of exceptional gymnasts competing collegiately. On the men's side, you will see future Olympians. I could give you a list of names on who to watch but it changes all the time due to injury or simply just deciding they are done with the sport.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
You should watch more gymnastics :) College gymnastics is so much fun. Not sure if Jordan will go back to UCLA or if Jade goes back to Oregon State but there are plenty of exceptional gymnasts competing collegiately. On the men's side, you will see future Olympians. I could give you a list of names on who to watch but it changes all the time due to injury or simply just deciding they are done with the sport.
The little I know about it is that it's a brutal sport. I grew up wrestling and most 'real' sports kids used to look at us like we were insane for doing it (weight cutting, conditioning, the actual sport, all pretty brutal). I looked at gymnasts like the football team looked at us. My problem is I have no idea what's good or not. Much like layman people watching wrestling won't understand why a point was awarded.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Lost in all of the gymnastics coverage was the most amazing finish I've ever seen in a rugby match. USA Women were about to go down to the Aussies and pulled out a miracle. Advance to the 4:30 mark to see the winning try. I still can't believe it.

Genuinely one of the best moments of sport/Olympic history I've ever seen. I thought they were done for.

Just absolutely incredible.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1722407416153.png

Reactions: sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Today I move to La Défense Arena in Nanterre for swimming will be shown live on NBC after 2 PM Boston time. I have been at the Aquatics Centre in Saint Denis.

NBC is kicking themselves that they didn't do supplemental coverage of the women's Rugby 7s as they assumed it would be dominated by New Zealand and Australia. @Aussie Bruin I know Nine Network did not take the collapse well.

The Paris Metro has done a great job marking Olympic venues on trains.

1722413996552.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You will probably see something about Simone Biles’ Instagram post and this is the backstory. It was savage and so needed.

This also isn’t the first time the person who called Simone and the team lazy has made disparaging comments which is why a lot of former gymnasts are commenting.

Simone is also a survivor of Larry Nassar’s abuse to put what was said into even further context.

Backstory

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Today I move to La Défense Arena in Nanterre for swimming will be shown live on NBC after 2 PM Boston time. I have been at the Aquatics Centre in Saint Denis.

NBC is kicking themselves that they didn't do supplemental coverage of the women's Rugby 7s as they assumed it would be dominated by New Zealand and Australia. @Aussie Bruin I know Nine Network did not take the collapse well.

The Paris Metro has done a great job marking Olympic venues on trains.

View attachment 898260

Once upon a time Australia was good at rugby. We were world champs in rugby union twice in the 90s, won medals routinely in the sevens comps. These days our union team is a laughing stock that hasn't beaten the Kiwis in a series in 22 years, and both our sevens teams are going home empty-handed from Paris. Another low for the sport here unfortunately, not surprised Nine didn't take it so well. But congrats to the US women, game's never over 'til the final whistle.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
You will probably see something about Simone Biles’ Instagram post and this is the backstory. It was savage and so needed.

This also isn’t the first time the person who called Simone and the team lazy has made disparaging comments which is why a lot of former gymnasts are commenting.

Simone is also a survivor of Larry Nassar’s abuse to put what was said into even further context.

Backstory

She has every right to be so freaking wrong! Lol

Babajingo

The more I watch rugby the more I think that Earl Campbell would've been a beast rugby player.
His running style would've fit in perfectly.

For those younglings who don't know him, watch some videos. He was, in my opinion, the best running back ever (I never saw Jim Brown in action).

Reactions: Gee Wally

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
There’s hockey at the 2024 Paris Olympics?

Actually, I guess there is, of the field variety. I think they should have bandy at the Winter Olympics. I mean they have 3 on 3 basketball now.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
With the men’s gymnasts winning team bronze, the women’s destroying everyone for gold, the women’s rugby team getting the crazy dramatic bronze…this has already been so damn entertaining. I’m not a summer games guy but this has been really fun

Women’s fencing epee, both singles and team was high drama too. The French fencer lost singles gold in the waning seconds, and then she lost in OT for gold in the team epee.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad