Confirmed with Link: News Release: Ottawa Senators appoint Ian Mendes as vice president, communications and name Sylvain St-Laurent director, communications

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll take if it means he represents the Senators in the media instead of Dean Brown and Gord Wilson.
This would be an incredible upgrade. Now let's get A.J in for play by play and Methot/Baker/Corrado/Pounder/Smyth doing colour. I'd like to hear from people that actually played and know the sport.

His article on Euge was class. Just a bit too soon. Fact.
Too late. Should have come out years earlier.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ian mendes used to be on here?
He offered to setup a zoom call with some people to discuss his article that a few posters here were chastising him over, the posters turned down the offer and Mendes was then accused of promoting Zoom for his own personal gain by a poster, so he packed up and rightfully left.

It was an absolutely wild day or two, some of the most insane drivel posted here by a poster(s) of days past.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The dope hires keep on coming. Love how they are flexing on the French side with Sly, as well as adding Ian.

Another set of smart additions. Feels good.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He offered to setup a zoom call with some people to discuss his article that a few posters here were chastising him over, the posters turned down the offer and Mendes was then accused of promoting Zoom for his own personal gain by a poster, so he packed up and rightfully left.

It was an absolutely wild day or two, some of the most insane drivel posted here by a poster(s) of days past.
How did I miss that? I never went into the Ottawa radio thread tho.

Which article was it?

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This would be an incredible upgrade. Now let's get A.J in for play by play and Methot/Baker/Corrado/Pounder/Smyth doing colour. I'd like to hear from people that actually played and know the sport.

Too late. Should have come out years earlier.
I'll be honest I always thought Lever would have been hired by the Sens in some capacity too. At least the redblacks should.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How did I miss that? I never went into the Ottawa radio thread tho.

Which article was it?
It was the big 6000+ word Athletic article with Katie Strang and Dan Robson that came out right after Melnyk passed away and they did a few media spots after.

For many of us it wasn't anything surprising given the public behavior and noise about Melnyk previously, and as Mendes and Strang said numerous times, was heavily toned down due to the extreme vetting process and much not being able to be included, but it was a pretty big drop at the time and generated lots of fun in the Melnyk threads.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It was the big 6000+ word Athletic article with Katie Strang and Dan Robson that came out right after Melnyk passed away and they did a few media spots after.

For many of us it wasn't anything surprising given the public behavior and noise about Melnyk previously, and as Mendes and Strang said numerous times, was heavily toned down due to the extreme vetting process and much not being able to be included, but it was a pretty big drop at the time and generated lots of fun in the Melnyk threads.
Damn definitely around here when that dropped. Just missed the drama

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Very happy for Ian. He's a really good person.

Glad to see some quality hires for the organization.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not a mendes fan but whatever. Easy to tune him out.
He’s sooo long winded now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I believe it was a different article, or maybe even just reporting about some events that he was investigating/reporting on previously. I think it was about the Sens Foundation, whatever it was the Phillips used to be working with that he abruptly left back in 2021, that Mendes had written about for a year or so. This happened pre-death of Melnyk

The Mendes and Strang article came out in 2022, a year after Mendes left the board.

This stuff was a result, I can only assume without going in to deep, after Phillips left the Sens Foundation back on June 23, 2021

Mendes comes in at post #327

Some of that stuff is among the most insane stuff posted on HFSens in the past 20 years, that aged like a bowl of tuna in milk :laugh:

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Brings me back to supsens and sweatred getting into it with Mendes on here because of a piece he wrote on Melnyk, of which he did a great job.

Pretty sure one stated he would have failed a journalism class :laugh:

Jeez, I had forgotten all about this. The good old days LOL. There certainly was some “interesting” people hanging around here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I believe it was a different article, or maybe even just reporting about some events that he was investigating/reporting on previously. I think it was about the Sens Foundation, whatever it was the Phillips used to be working with that he abruptly left back in 2021, that Mendes had written about for a year or so. This happened pre-death of Melnyk

The Mendes and Strang article came out in 2022, a year after Mendes left the board.

This stuff was a result, I can only assume without going in to deep, after Phillips left the Sens Foundation back on June 23, 2021

Some of that stuff is among the most insane stuff posted on HFSens in the past 20 years, that aged like a bowl of tuna in milk :laugh:
Man, that's quite the trip down memory lane, imagine being so unhinged you think Mendes is putting plants in his zoom Q&A, and if I recall, somehow tied financially to zoom... All because you can't accept any story that frames the org in a negative light, Good times,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ah, okay, that makes sense with the timeline. Things were a lot more firey in here when he was still alive than when that last one dropped. For some reason I just assumed it was the big one. It's all a bit of a blur at this point tbh.

What a trip reading through some of that lol.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Imagine Ian was still posting here periodically if it wasn't for one (borderline two) nutbar posters? HF mods take notes on what not to do.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And yet, I still want him to beef up the analytics team (it seems that it's a one-person operation so far), to renew and expand the scouting staff, and to hire a POHO.
I agree with beefing up the analytics team; however a POHO would be redundant if you have a competent GM. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Would be amazing if those 2 got the axe.
I am not a fan of Brown and Wilson; however, they are fanboys who say little of consequence and boost the team, so I expect them to remain in place. The broadcasts would be more interesting if they hired someone who gave truthful analytical views on team performance like Cheryl Pounder and Mike Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad