Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think it's for conditioning or to get more games in.

If anything a college player needs a mid season break as much as anybody, as they are used to playing ~35 game seasons or whatever. Him playing even more games in the AHL doesn't make sense.

I think Ben is there to stay for a while until he sorts himself out. I think it's an actual demotion, not just a chance to get more games in.

Nah, it's so he can play more games.

It's also for cap purposes. He's the one waiver exempt on the roster that could freely go down. Avs are officially below the Cap right now and banking cap space.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda strange people are slagging Meyers when he’s actually played really well of late, bad turnover last game notwithstanding.

Chemistry is a funny thing. Newhook was out with the skill guys and struggled, Meyers was centering Cogs and LOC and also couldn’t find his way. They put Hook with the two grinders and he appears to be gaining ground, and in contrast Meyers is getting skill guys rotated through his line because of the 11-7 setup, and he’s improved immensely as well.

Not saying Meyers is the new 2C, just saying he’s good with East-West linemates, Newhook is better with North-South ones.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kinda strange people are slagging Meyers when he’s actually played really well of late, bad turnover last game notwithstanding.

Chemistry is a funny thing. Newhook was out with the skill guys and struggled, Meyers was centering Cogs and LOC and also couldn’t find his way. They put Hook with the two grinders and he appears to be gaining ground, and in contrast Meyers is getting skill guys rotated through his line because of the 11-7 setup, and he’s improved immensely as well.

Not saying Meyers is the new 2C, just saying he’s good with East-West linemates, Newhook is better with North-South ones.

Agreed. I thought he was quite alright the last couple of weeks. Which is more of why I highly doubt this is an actual demotion. Though at some point we do need to start seeing some production.

But yeah, just a simple paper transaction to bank cap space for 10 days while they aren't playing any games, and so Meyers can keep getting game action and keep improving over the extended break.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't think it's for conditioning or to get more games in.

If anything a college player needs a mid season break as much as anybody, as they are used to playing ~35 game seasons or whatever. Him playing even more games in the AHL doesn't make sense.

I think Ben is there to stay for a while until he sorts himself out. I think it's an actual demotion, not just a chance to get more games in.
We will see. Maybe he doesn't play in games and it's to save on cap. If he's tired of playing 5 min a night he's in trouble though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
One point in 28 games isn’t good. I get the usage and linemates have been really suspect but that’s no different from everyone else they booted. Meyers should get an extended stay in the AHL like every other prospect who gets sent back for getting a much shorter window to show something. It’s clear the promises he received elevated him over everyone else. I don’t think he needs 100 games there or anything but the 10 he’s spent there aren’t enough.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I doubt any promise was given to Meyers to be the first call up after the break. I’m sure he’s at the top of their list anyway but if he falters or plays poorly in his few games down there I could totally see them leaving him and calling up JLF instead.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Honestly both things can be true. He needs more development time and there’s nothing wrong with having him play more games during this break.

He’s been a lot better of late but yes, the production still isn’t there.
He's gotta play. Same systems for the Eagles, right? Seems useful. And I am sure the cap space thing is involved too.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Cronin is clearly good at developing players.

Man this article as well as some of the interviews that Meghan has done with him have really impressed me. This guy seems like the perfect guy to help people develop and appears to be willing to give time to any player to try and achieve their goals. Now whether or not those players can learn and adapt is up to them, but it really sounds like he knows his shit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Merkley pulls a Graves.

Didn’t see the game so I can’t tell anyone if it was an honest mistake or if he was just forcing something that clearly wasn’t there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad