Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Would be nice to have $7.575M in cap. Too bad we don’t have an internal replacement for Spurgeon. I do wonder if sliding Brodin over to the other side could work since we have a plethora of LHD coming along. Couple of years could look like:

Middleton-Brodin
Lambos-Faber
Peart-Spacek
Hunt/O’Rourke
I’d happily trade spurgeon if we can. Yes he will be missed as he is good but I don’t believe I’ll miss him as much as reporters tell me I will. Middleton can be traded also.

Brodin - Faber
Lambos - Addison
Peart/Hunt/Orourke-Spacek

I am all for a youth movement.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d happily trade spurgeon if we can. Yes he will be missed as he is good but I don’t believe I’ll miss him as much as reporters tell me I will. Middleton can be traded also.

Brodin - Faber
Lambos - Addison

I don’t think Addison makes it to next season without being traded.

Reactions: TaLoN

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Brodin - Faber
Lambos - Addison

That defense would get absolutely destroyed. Team needs to rotate these guys in so they can learn from a defensive unit that’s been the best in the league for the past decade.

The defense isn’t this team’s issue.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don’t think Addison makes it to next season without being traded.
I don’t think they’ll trade Addison.
That defense would get absolutely destroyed. Team needs to rotate these guys in so they can learn from a defensive unit that’s been the best in the league for the past decade.

The defense isn’t this team’s issue.
The team has plenty of issues, however I don’t think the cap spurgeon is going to continue to carry will be worth it. Even Brodin starts to disappear in the playoffs. I’m not rushing to make defensive cuts or trades our first move however I am willing to explore the options. There is less than 5 names on our current roster that shouldn’t be questioned to trade.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I don’t think they’ll trade Addison.

The team has plenty of issues, however I don’t think the cap spurgeon is going to continue to carry will be worth it. Even Brodin starts to disappear in the playoffs. I’m not rushing to make defensive cuts or trades our first move however I am willing to explore the options. There is less than 5 names on our current roster that shouldn’t be questioned to trade.
Personally, I don’t get how you can bench a guy, get a playoff replacement, and then not trade him the following year. Just my opinion. You have to try and deal him at the draft, or did BG just completely ruin his stock and turned him into another Dumba?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Personally, I don’t get how you can bench a guy, get a playoff replacement, and then not trade him the following year. Just my opinion. You have to try and deal him at the draft, or did BG just completely ruin his stock and turned him into another Dumba?
I don’t think anyone will give anything worth while considering everyone knew that they benched him for the last what four months and playoffs? If we traded him at the deadline sure but if you are a current nhl GM, are you trading a first for him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don’t think anyone will give anything worth while considering everyone knew that they benched him for the last what four months and playoffs? If we traded him at the deadline sure but if you are a current nhl GM, are you trading a first for him?
No, but also think it would be pretty bonkers to ask for a 1st for him.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
No, but he could be a nice sweetener in a deal. Edit: he’s 23, he could be a reliable player in 3-5 years and still in whatever prime he is in.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Counter: the defense hasn’t been the solution either.
Defense was not the reason the team lost this series or last year’s series (or really any series that I can recall). Wild win this series if just one of Boldy or Kaprizov shows up. Winning a faceoff on a PK would’ve helped too.

It’s just not a good idea whatsoever to trade away either of Brodin or Spurgeon until we’re confident in their replacements. We’ve got good defensive prospects, but they’ve got to learn the system under the guidance of those two.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wild win this series if just one of Boldy or Kaprizov shows up. Winning a faceoff on a PK would’ve helped too.

Not sure this is true. Wild lost game two by four goals, game five by five goals, game six by three goals. They were outscored in the series 14 to 21 overall. 3.5 goals per game allowed, which was 6th worst of the 16 teams. 0.83 goals per game more than the regular season.

Offense didn't show up, namely in the form of the "big guns" in the top six, but the offense only averaged 0.58 less goals per game than they did in the regular season.

Goaltending, defense, offense, special teams... it's another total team failure. The defense isn't absolved of their role in it. And guys like Brodin and Spurgeon, they've been here for every first round exit. It seems if they do know one thing, it's how to lose in the first round.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Let's sit Spurg and Brodin for a few games and see how that goes....

The defense wasn't awesome, but in terms of how we lost this series, they'd fall pretty low on the list.

Special teams fail
Thin down the middle (inability to win a damn faceoff)
Boldy and Kap disappearing
Evason's Game 2 decision with the goaltending
Evason's failure to once again make adjustments
then you can maybe look at Spurg and Brodin

They aren't innocent, but it's not in the top 5 of things that need to be addressed.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No, but also think it would be pretty bonkers to ask for a 1st for him.
Agreed, was more so asking with the option to say not a first but I’d offer a 5th or something along those lines. If we aren’t getting a high pick or center prospect similar what’s the point? He has warts, but he is young and we can possibly fix them.
No, but he could be a nice sweetener in a deal. Edit: he’s 23, he could be a reliable player in 3-5 years and still in whatever prime he is in.
what would you pay? I wouldn’t want only a 3rd or lower for him. If he is added as a sweetener so be it but not just for fun. He has a decent skill set just needs to learn to play defense. Klingberg has the same issue on defense yet has a much longer leash because he put up points in Dallas.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Agreed, was more so asking with the option to say not a first but I’d offer a 5th or something along those lines. If we aren’t getting a high pick or center prospect similar what’s the point? He has warts, but he is young and we can possibly fix them.

what would you pay? I wouldn’t want only a 3rd or lower for him. If he is added as a sweetener so be it but not just for fun. He has a decent skill set just needs to learn to play defense. Klingberg has the same issue on defense yet has a much longer leash because he put up points in Dallas.
If I’m trading Addison it’s to ideally move up the draft board.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If I’m trading Addison it’s to ideally move up the draft board.
So addison + our first. I don’t see him getting us near 10 overall. Does he move the need more than maybe 17th??

The defense wasn't awesome, but in terms of how we lost this series, they'd fall pretty low on the list.

Special teams fail

They aren't innocent, but it's not in the top 5 of things that need to be addressed.
By no means are they top priority to be moved. But their failure in the playoffs also needs to be looked at and not just for seen as a nothing burger let’s blame everything else. We claim to have a top d core and Brodin is godly yet in the playoffs is he still as godly? Honestly I wasn’t focusing on their play as our forwards angered me far more but I would at least like to look into what moving spurgeon could do for us. I’ll keep Brodin for that stabilizing defense first surely regular season at the very least experience. Spurgeon I’d rather get rid of. Anyone 35+ needs to be looked at being moved.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So addison + our first. I don’t see him getting us near 10 overall. Does he move the need more than maybe 17th??

By no means are they top priority to be moved. But their failure in the playoffs also needs to be looked at and not just for seen as a nothing burger let’s blame everything else. We claim to have a top d core and Brodin is godly yet in the playoffs is he still as godly? Honestly I wasn’t focusing on their play as our forwards angered me far more but I would at least like to look into what moving spurgeon could do for us. I’ll keep Brodin for that stabilizing defense first surely regular season at the very least experience. Spurgeon I’d rather get rid of. Anyone 35+ needs to be looked at being moved.
We also have two 2nds and a bunch of other prospects, picks, and maybe even a player.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Yes and how much are you willing to give up just to get up to 10? 2023 1st + Addison + what? Both seconds this year?
It depends who’s there. But in the grand scheme, yes I’d do it if that’s what it took and we loved a guy. We have a deep enough pool to do it, and it wouldn’t make us go bankrupt. And at least we could say we tried.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’d definitely move up in this draft to nab a top center. Our prospect pool is deep enough to sacrifice 2nd round picks and mid-range prospects to do so.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
We may not even need to be top 10 to get a decent center. If we can get one in the 13-18 range that would certainly be doable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure this is true. Wild lost game two by four goals, game five by five goals, game six by three goals. They were outscored in the series 14 to 21 overall. 3.5 goals per game allowed, which was 6th worst of the 16 teams. 0.83 goals per game more than the regular season.

Offense didn't show up, namely in the form of the "big guns" in the top six, but the offense only averaged 0.58 less goals per game than they did in the regular season.

Goaltending, defense, offense, special teams... it's another total team failure. The defense isn't absolved of their role in it. And guys like Brodin and Spurgeon, they've been here for every first round exit. It seems if they do know one thing, it's how to lose in the first round.
A goal here or there at the right time will change a game. If both Boldy and Kaprizov had, let's say, 2 goals apiece in games 2-6, there could absolutely be another 2 wins in there, depending on when they occurred.

Butterfly effect/chaos theory, whatever you want to call it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Special teams fail

On-ice for the playoffs:

Spurgeon 5GF 14GA
Johansson 4GF 12GA
Brodin 3GF 9GA

I present to you, the top 3 players for most goals against when they are on the ice.

Spurgeon had the worst all strengths GA/60 and 5v5 GA/60.

Spurgeon had the worst 5v5 GF% and third worst all strengths GF% of the entire team.

Since we beat Colorado, name me a time that Spurgeon was good in the playoffs. He’s folded way more than not.

Reactions: TaLoN and saywut

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It depends who’s there. But in the grand scheme, yes I’d do it if that’s what it took and we loved a guy. We have a deep enough pool to do it, and it wouldn’t make us go bankrupt. And at least we could say we tried.
If it’s a legit higher end center I’m fine with it but I’m not against trading spurgeon and keeping Addison.

Reactions: mezcal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad