Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Actually, if we can consider trading/buying out Foligno, then I would also think about not re-sign Nyquist. And if Rossi starts to develop into a 3rd line C with Gaudreau, that leaves an open spot of the wing with those two with $6.3mil cap space - we can use that cap space to give us 3 skilled lines.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
That’s a problem in itself. You cant just throw a guy all over the place and expect immediate results. Give him 10-15 games in the same role. I can’t imagine it’s easy to adjust to the NHL when you can’t form any semblance of chemistry with linemates.

He played 9 mins of 5v5 with Kap and Zucc. They had 1 GF, 1 GA and a 63% CF. It just really seemed like Evason had no plan whatsoever with Rossi. It’s like he expected him to immediately be productive and if it didn’t work, he’d make a change. Ironically, the only time Evason is in favor of making changes is when it’s the wrong time to do it.
It shouldn’t have taken more than 2-3 games to see he obviously wasn’t ready on an individual level, he was the least effective player on all of his lines, and they still kept him up until Thanksgiving to get him some experience and see if he could adjust. I am not writing him off, but I don’t think 1C by last season was ever a reasonable expectation, nor do I think he is at that level next season either.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That’s a problem in itself. You cant just throw a guy all over the place and expect immediate results. Give him 10-15 games in the same role. I can’t imagine it’s easy to adjust to the NHL when you can’t form any semblance of chemistry with linemates.

He played 9 mins of 5v5 with Kap and Zucc. They had 1 GF, 1 GA and a 63% CF. It just really seemed like Evason had no plan whatsoever with Rossi. It’s like he expected him to immediately be productive and if it didn’t work, he’d make a change. Ironically, the only time Evason is in favor of making changes is when it’s the wrong time to do it.
Holy revisionist.

When the regular season came (not playing against mostly plugs) - it's not that he wasn't producing. He also looked VERY lost. Any time the puck came near him, possession died.

So it's not like, "Hey, he was playing well just wasn't getting on the scoresheet". It was more, "This kid doesn't even belong in the NHL"

Reactions: 57special

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Any chance you guys are re-signing Dumba? Or is it a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Any chance you guys are re-signing Dumba? Or is it a foregone conclusion that he's gone.
Highly unlikely due to the cap, if he took league minimum for two years, or they made a major cap move, maybe, but they have his replacement ready to go so even if he came back his role would taken and he would be a luxury third pairing player. I think he will want an actual paycheck and top 4 play time, he is still a fine player, just more like a #4 than the #2 he used to be.

Reactions: TotalHomer

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It shouldn’t have taken more than 2-3 games to see he obviously wasn’t ready on an individual level, he was the least effective player on all of his lines, and they still kept him up until Thanksgiving to get him some experience and see if he could adjust. I am not writing him off, but I don’t think 1C by last season was ever a reasonable expectation, nor do I think he is at that level next season either.
Holy revisionist.

When the regular season came (not playing against mostly plugs) - it's not that he wasn't producing. He also looked VERY lost. Any time the puck came near him, possession died.

So it's not like, "Hey, he was playing well just wasn't getting on the scoresheet". It was more, "This kid doesn't even belong in the NHL"
I’ve already said that I was completely fine with him developing in an elevated role in the AHL. Nonetheless, moving a guy every 2 games trying to make something work is not how I’d approach his 2nd stint up here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, there's always a chance, but i think it would be better both for him, and the team, if he moved on. I mean, we can offer him about 3M x 2, while he can probably get 4x5M on the UFA market, at least. That's a lot of change to leave on the table.

Reactions: TotalHomer

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
None of the roster decisions this summer will ultimately matter if we bring back the same lame duck coach who hasn't won a first round since 2005.
I’m fine with holding on to Evason. It should mean a higher pick. This team isn’t doing anything until we get the 14 million back.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m fine with holding on to Evason. It should mean a higher pick. This team isn’t doing anything until we get the 14 million back.

Higher pick than what? Winning the Cup? We're picking 22nd right now, that's not exactly gonna propel us forward by any meaningful amount.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Higher pick next year, than this year.

Why do you think so? What do you think will fundamentally change next year that will make us a worse regular season team?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Why do you think so? What do you think will fundamentally change next year that will make us a worse regular season team?
Keeping Evason and the 3rd D pair. Obviously lots can change between now and then. Also, we’ll see if Gus can be better or regress. It might be hard to duplicate that great regular season.

FWIW, it was more a light hearted jab at our coach, as people seem to be complaining about Evason.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Keeping Evason and the 3rd D pair. Obviously lots can change between now and then. Also, we’ll see if Gus can be better or regress. It might be hard to duplicate that great regular season.

FWIW, it was more a light hearted jab at our coach, as people seem to be complaining about Evason.
I'd trade Zucc and Spurg

Re-sign Klingburg, Nyquist, Gus and see what Rossi can do

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I just don't think Zuccarello is moveable. His age and contract is going to return us maybe a 3rd rd pick but he'll still produce 40-50pts which is more beneficial for us.

I think its easier for us to move Foligno and focus on creating a 3rd skilled line instead of 2 checking lines.

I give alot of leeway to prospects, but my general rule of thumb is 3 years with the org then I'm done. Rossi is heading into his 3rd year so for me, he needs to start showing results next year. And he will become the center point of that new 3rd line.

Gaudreau - Rossi - UFA

Maybe Haula, Anthanasiou, Sprong or trade Addison+ for one. But I want some new blood in this team to give it a spark.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I just don't think Zuccarello is moveable. His age and contract is going to return us maybe a 3rd rd pick but he'll still produce 40-50pts which is more beneficial for us.

I think its easier for us to move Foligno and focus on creating a 3rd skilled line instead of 2 checking lines.

I give alot of leeway to prospects, but my general rule of thumb is 3 years with the org then I'm done. Rossi is heading into his 3rd year so for me, he needs to start showing results next year. And he will become the center point of that new 3rd line.

Gaudreau - Rossi - UFA

Maybe Haula, Anthanasiou, Sprong or trade Addison+ for one. But I want some new blood in this team to give it a spark.
If you trade Foligno, I think you could probably get Nyquist back for a similar amount.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
If you trade Foligno, I think you could probably get Nyquist back for a similar amount.
it begs the question, while I like Nyquist, do we want a new face to the team? Just a shake up from the team that failed in the playoffs? Obviously he wasn't the reason he failed but new faces can add new life. Or I guess you could argue Nyquist play only 9 games so he still falls in that camp.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This is actually closer to very little leeway than a lot of leeway.

It's also implying that we should be trading guys like Hunt, O'Rourke, Firstov and Beckman; and that guys like Lambos, Peart, Bankier are on the chopping block after next season? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is actually closer to very little leeway than a lot of leeway.

It's also implying that we should be trading guys like Hunt, O'Rourke, Firstov and Beckman; and that guys like Lambos, Peart, Bankier are on the chopping block after next season? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.
Oh I see what I did there - at the NHL/AHL level where they are directly in our development hands. That is what I meant by "org". So I expecting Rossi and Beckman to make real strides to be part of the NHL team this coming season.

Hunt, ROR, and Firstov still have another season of development then I start to be more critical of them. Lambos, Peart, and Bankier has 3 seasons starting next year.

Reactions: AKL

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Oh I see what I did there - at the NHL/AHL level where they are directly in our development hands. That is what I meant by "org". So I expecting Rossi and Beckman to make real strides to be part of the NHL team this coming season.

Hunt, ROR, and Firstov still have another season of development then I start to be more critical of them. Lambos, Peart, and Bankier has 3 seasons starting next year.
Peart is staying in college, is he not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad