Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think Middleton can easily be replaced internally and for less money
He makes less than 2.5M - Good luck finding that.

Is he great? No. But for <2.5M he's a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pairing defensemen.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’d rather have dumba at 4 than mids at 2.45
$4M is too much for a 3RD. If Faber didn’t look as solid as he did, I’d consider finding a way to fit Dumba back in here cheap. As things stand though, we’re in a much better position to replace Dumba than Middleton.

If Dumba will re-sign for $3M or less though, you absolutely find a way to fit him in.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It never hurts to have a Reaves type of player.

Should he play in the playoffs? No. Absolutely not. But over 82 games, it's not a bad idea to have a guy like that on the 4th line. Is he going to play all 82? Of course not but having a guy who can play 60 games and provide a different type of game than the guys who rotate into the 4th line.

I'm not saying break the bank for him but if you can get him for 1.0-1.1....why not? Great room guy, high character, etc.
I wouldn’t mind the idea of him as a locker room guy that plays up until the TDL. At that point, we’re either bad enough that we’re dumping guys or we’re stocking the roster for another run (if you can call it that).

I think even $1M is too much though. This team needs to really pinch pennies
and rely on $700-800K players to be the 11th-13th forwards.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
I'm confused....

Why are we wanting to destroy our D corps all of a sudden?

Dumba is gone. People saying we should explore trading Brodin and Spurg for centers. Trading Middleton.

Spurgeon, Brodin, Middleton, Faber shouldn't go anywhere until you know damn well the younger d-men are ready.

How do we expect to replace these players even if we can trade them for 1C's?

Wild aren't a team that can win 5-4 every night.
I said if you have a chance to get a 1c by using one of Brodin or Spurgeon and it works with the NMC you do it. Drafting where the Wild pick will never give you a 1c. You aren't giving up Ek, Kap, Boldy so who else can be part of a deal? It's going to be one of those two players. Both are highly valued. Brodin will be 30, and Spurgeon will be 34. If the chance comes, you have to take it.

DC4MVP

Visit Our Site For Online Coaching/Film Breakdown!
Dec 23, 2016
Minnesota
www.dchockey.net
I wouldn’t mind the idea of him as a locker room guy that plays up until the TDL. At that point, we’re either bad enough that we’re dumping guys or we’re stocking the roster for another run (if you can call it that).

I think even $1M is too much though. This team needs to really pinch pennies
and rely on $700-800K players to be the 11th-13th forwards.
Right. I mean he says he wants to stay put so maybe he takes $800k.

Just something a little different on the 4th line once in a while instead of the Shaw, Duhaime, Dewar types

I said if you have a chance to get a 1c by using one of Brodin or Spurgeon and it works with the NMC you do it. Drafting where the Wild pick will never give you a 1c. You aren't giving up Ek, Kap, Boldy so who else can be part of a deal? It's going to be one of those two players. Both are highly valued. Brodin will be 30, and Spurgeon will be 34. If the chance comes, you have to take it.
Ohh ok but no team is trading a 1C for either of them so no worries there.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Best chance is finding a 2015-16 Zibanejad and being right. That's why I'm on the Mittelstadt hype train. I think he's one that fits that possibility the most at the moment.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I can’t be the only one who thinks we are overrating Mojo and to a lesser extent Gus Nyquist. This team is so skill starved up front that Sam Steel has felt like a breath of fresh air at times.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
All of these players have contracts next season:

Kirill $9,000,000 - Hartman $1,700,000 - Zuke $6,000,000
Foligno $ 3,100,000 - Ek $5,250,000 - Boldy $7,000,000
Rossi $863,333 - Freddy $2,100,000 - Walker $855,000
Petan $762,500 Dewar $800,00 - Fogarty $762,500
Beckman $894,167

Brodin $6,000,000 - Merrill $1,200,000
Middleton $2,450,500 - Spurgeon $7,575,000
Goligoski $2,000,000 Faber $925,000
Hunt $828,333

Flower $3,500,000
Wallstedt $925,000

Dead cap $14,743,588

Projected cap hit = $80,081,088

If the cap stays as predicted, $83,500,000 that means GMBG has $3,418,912 to play with.
Gus for 1,5 or 2M would be nice.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
24-25 the cap seems to be $87,500,000, the last year of cap hell. The next season it is $92,000,000 so that is going to be a lot of money to spend.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For the folks who suggested moving Middleton, what do you guys want for him?
I don't think that the Wild are in any position to trade Middleton right now. He has his faults, but has a low cap hit, plays decent D, and is the only Dman that MN has with any physicality and toughness.

Wild have a ton of promising LHD prospects, but they simply aren't ready yet for the NHL, let alone top 4 NHL.

I'm confused....

Why are we wanting to destroy our D corps all of a sudden?

Dumba is gone. People saying we should explore trading Brodin and Spurg for centers. Trading Middleton.

Spurgeon, Brodin, Middleton, Faber shouldn't go anywhere until you know damn well the younger d-men are ready.

How do we expect to replace these players even if we can trade them for 1C's?

Wild aren't a team that can win 5-4 every night.
Exactly. In a couple three years the LHD cavalry should be arriving in the form of Peart, Lambos, Hunt, ROR, but until then how can anyone think that moving Middleton for anything but a massive overpay is a smart move? Do you really want to see Merrill or Goligoski playing top 4?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
All of these players have contracts next season:

Kirill $9,000,000 - Hartman $1,700,000 - Zuke $6,000,000
Foligno $ 3,100,000 - Ek $5,250,000 - Boldy $7,000,000
Rossi $863,333 - Freddy $2,100,000 - Walker $855,000
Petan $762,500 Dewar $800,00 - Fogarty $762,500
Beckman $894,167

Brodin $6,000,000 - Merrill $1,200,000
Middleton $2,450,500 - Spurgeon $7,575,000
Goligoski $2,000,000 Faber $925,000
Hunt $828,333

Flower $3,500,000
Wallstedt $925,000

Dead cap $14,743,588

Projected cap hit = $80,081,088

If the cap stays as predicted, $83,500,000 that means GMBG has $3,418,912 to play with.
Gus for 1,5 or 2M would be nice.
Petan and Fogarty have proved over multiple years that they are not NHL players. Fogarty is too slow, Petan is too small, weak, and poor defensively.

Walker(strength) and Rossi(speed, strength) also have their warts, but at least there is some hope of improvement in their game. Beckman is a half tier below them, IMO.

Wallstedt still needs at least another year in the AHL. He was a middle tier AHL goalie last year

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No trades:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Johansson ($2.1M) - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Foligno - Gaudreau - Walker
Duhaime ($1.05M) - Dewar - Shaw ($800k)
13th F ($800k)
Parise

Middleton - Spurgeon
Brodin - Faber ($925k)
Merrill - Addison/3RD ($1.1M)
Goligoski
Suter

Gustavsson ($3.1M)
Fleury

~$350k cap space

Hard to believe that they'd just run it back. Maybe Rossi pushes Hartman to Walker's spot or something, but I at least think that the Johansson and Gustavsson cap hits seem decently reasonable.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Petan and Fogarty have proved over multiple years that they are not NHL players. Fogarty is too slow, Petan is too small, weak, and poor defensively.

Walker(strength) and Rossi(speed, strength) also have their warts, but at least there is some hope of improvement in their game. Beckman is a half tier below them, IMO.

Wallstedt still needs at least another year in the AHL. He was a middle tier AHL goalie last year
I was thinking that it is easier to see which weak spots needs to be adressed if I put the players in at a somewhat probable position. I don´t really know the weaknesses or strenghts of some of the depth players. A few is going to the farm, so consider them as placeholders so we know at least what kind of salaries the players that ends up on the team should have to get the maths right.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can’t be the only one who thinks we are overrating Mojo and to a lesser extent Gus Nyquist. This team is so skill starved up front that Sam Steel has felt like a breath of fresh air at times.
Sam Steel has never seemed like a breath of fresh air
In fact, didn't we call him one of the worthless clones that we don't want in the lineup?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Walker is interesting. Above average speed and quickness, even for the NHL, and slightly above average skill, too. Also, IMO, has the proverbial "nose for the net" scorer's mentality. Smart player...will get back on defense, but he's more of an offensive type, in general.

He is big enough, IMO, but needs more strength so he is not a complete liability in board battles, and can compete for pucks in close to the net, though he'll never be a guy that plays net front on the PP, More of a slippery type. I am also not sure that Dean is the coach to appreciate, or accommodate, his game. Walker will do his best to grind, but that's not really what he is about.

He reminds a bit of Haula, who was actually an offensive player in college, until Yeo made him into a checking C. I don't think Walker will ever be that, but he has a chance to be the Vegas version of Haula before he destroyed his kneecap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetnut

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sam Steel has never seemed like a breath of fresh air
In fact, didn't we call him one of the worthless clones that we don't want in the lineup?
The point is that our team is set up for journeymen skill players to succeed bc we have elite role players and defensive structure. They can just play their game. I think we would’ve likely seen similar production from a Dadonov or other cheap vets so I am wary of overpaying.

Moot point now though bc Mojo’s deal is extremely reasonable.

Regarding Steel, I think he is an effective player when he moves his feet. Problem is he isn’t engaged every game

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
No trades:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Johansson ($2.1M) - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Foligno - Gaudreau - Walker
Duhaime ($1.05M) - Dewar - Shaw ($800k)
13th F ($800k)
Parise

Middleton - Spurgeon
Brodin - Faber ($925k)
Merrill - Addison/3RD ($1.1M)
Goligoski
Suter

Gustavsson ($3.1M)
Fleury

~$350k cap space

Hard to believe that they'd just run it back. Maybe Rossi pushes Hartman to Walker's spot or something, but I at least think that the Johansson and Gustavsson cap hits seem decently reasonable.
I have to imagine that Rossi is on the opening night roster. 116 AHL games at a .9 PPG pace is enough meaningful experience to deserve that chance again in the NHL. I just hope they actually put him on a line where he can show something. Hell, throw him on the first line and have Hartman assume the 3rd line role he’s always been suited for. This team needs to find a center in these next two seasons and Rossi needs to step up.

That is pretty much the roster I anticipate Guerin is going to roll out though. Does seem like they’d be able to get everything done without any substantial moves now that Johansson is locked up at $2M. Moving on from Foligno or Zucc would allow for some more flexibility. I wouldn’t mind this team accumulating cap like they did this past season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think we would’ve likely seen similar production from a Dadonov or other cheap vets so I am wary of overpaying.

Moot point now though bc Mojo’s deal is extremely reasonable.
I think it was clear he was taking a bargain contract or wasn't going to be here. That's why I thought we'd get him for $2m or he's gone.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have to imagine that Rossi is on the opening night roster. 116 AHL games at a .9 PPG pace is enough meaningful experience to deserve that chance again in the NHL. I just hope they actually put him on a line where he can show something. Hell, throw him on the first line and have Hartman assume the 3rd line role he’s always been suited for. This team needs to find a center in these next two seasons and Rossi needs to step up.

That is pretty much the roster I anticipate Guerin is going to roll out though. Does seem like they’d be able to get everything done without any substantial moves now that Johansson is locked up at $2M. Moving on from Foligno or Zucc would allow for some more flexibility. I wouldn’t mind this team accumulating cap like they did this past season.
Absolutely should get his shot, but please, let's not blame the coaching staff for his lack of development. He has been handed the best linemates and PP TOI down in Iowa, which has inflated his stats. He's a vg AHL player, has been a zero at the NHL level due to his lack of speed, strength, and ability to adjust his game to the NHL.

I am hoping that he isn't another Nick Petan, but there are a lot of similarities.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Absolutely should get his shot, but please, let's not blame the coaching staff for his lack of development. He has been handed the best linemates and PP TOI down in Iowa, which has inflated his stats. He's a vg AHL player, has been a zero at the NHL level due to his lack of speed, strength, and ability to adjust his game to the NHL.

I am hoping that he isn't another Nick Petan, but there are a lot of similarities.
That’s what should have been done at the AHL level, so I’m fine with how he’s been handled down there. Top 10 picks should get the preferential treatment because you’re grooming them to be “the guy” when they’re on the NHL squad. Throwing him on a 4th line is just not what should be done with him when he gets his NHL opportunity again. Throw him next to Kap and give him a reasonable chance to succeed. Similar to how Boldy came in and was stapled to Fiala.

Maybe he never develops to his full potential, but they at least need to put him in a position where he has the best chance of reaching it. Not like this team realistically has anyone else that could develop into a Top 6 center next season (although I think there’s an outside shot of Dewar becoming something)

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Nyqvist made $5 mil this season so it seems unlikely he´s going to take under $3 mil/season. If BG can trade Zuke and his $6 mil for picks maybe there is a chance for Nyqvist. He may take 2x4$ mil. I want to see what he can do with Kap.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
(although I think there’s an outside shot of Dewar becoming something)
one of most frustrating parts of past few years has been Evason’s refusal to demote veterans like Zuccarello, Foligno in order to evaluate some younger guys in bigger roles. We’ve seen the same loyalty to MAF as well.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
That’s what should have been done at the AHL level, so I’m fine with how he’s been handled down there. Top 10 picks should get the preferential treatment because you’re grooming them to be “the guy” when they’re on the NHL squad. Throwing him on a 4th line is just not what should be done with him when he gets his NHL opportunity again. Throw him next to Kap and give him a reasonable chance to succeed. Similar to how Boldy came in and was stapled to Fiala.

Maybe he never develops to his full potential, but they at least need to put him in a position where he has the best chance of reaching it. Not like this team realistically has anyone else that could develop into a Top 6 center next season (although I think there’s an outside shot of Dewar becoming something)
He played with everyone on the team when he was up, his play was simply not good enough to earn NHL time, let alone number 1 center time. Boldy looked and played like a difference maker from his first game in the NHL, Rossi simply put, has not, and if you expect any competent organization to just thrust him into a top line role and hope he works it out, then you are going to be setup for disappointment. He will need to work hard, make adjustments to the NHL game, and show he can actually play in this league before we even consider making the smallest first line the league has ever seen.

Reactions: 57special

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He played with everyone on the team when he was up, his play was simply not good enough to earn NHL time, let alone number 1 center time. Boldy looked and played like a difference maker from his first game in the NHL, Rossi simply put, has not, and if you expect any competent organization to just thrust him into a top line role and hope he works it out, then you are going to be setup for disappointment. He will need to work hard, make adjustments to the NHL game, and show he can actually play in this league before we even consider making the smallest first line the league has ever seen.
That’s a problem in itself. You cant just throw a guy all over the place and expect immediate results. Give him 10-15 games in the same role. I can’t imagine it’s easy to adjust to the NHL when you can’t form any semblance of chemistry with linemates.

He played 9 mins of 5v5 with Kap and Zucc. They had 1 GF, 1 GA and a 63% CF. It just really seemed like Evason had no plan whatsoever with Rossi. It’s like he expected him to immediately be productive and if it didn’t work, he’d make a change. Ironically, the only time Evason is in favor of making changes is when it’s the wrong time to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad