Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I would like to see us try to get Scheifele. Winnipeg is probably willing to deal him with PLD rumored to be wanting out. Foligno, a 1st and a 2nd, goligoski if he'd agree to it

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yikes. That’s a pretty large payment
Seriously? He just scored 42 goals, and plays C. We are offering a washed up cap dump, a bottom six wing who is in his 30's and had a bad year, a 22 oa and a 2nd.

WPG would laugh and hang up .

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Bide our time until Draisaitl is on the last year of his contract. Trade for him at the deadline or for his rights after the season and sign him to an 8 year deal for whatever it takes.

I’d happily trade spurgeon if we can. Yes he will be missed as he is good but I don’t believe I’ll miss him as much as reporters tell me I will. Middleton can be traded also.

Brodin - Faber
Lambos - Addison
Peart/Hunt/Orourke-Spacek

I am all for a youth movement.
I’d re-sign Dumba and keep Midds in this situation. Addison ain’t it.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I’m not sure how that makes sense.
They backed into the playoffs this year, coach is unhappy with the top players' "pushback" in the playoffs, their best players are all 26 or older, and the one who isn't wants out. It makes sense to sell off their older players in this situation. Scheifele is 30 with one year to UFA.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
If we're giving up our 1st, I'd aim younger than 30/31 years old.
Exactly this

Filip Hronek, Tanner Jeannot and Tyler Bertuzzi all cost more than a 1st. I don't think the 22nd pick and a 2nd is a large payment for a guy who just had 42 goals
At the deadline, plus just because someone gives up X for Y doesn't mean we should or need to.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Bide our time until Draisaitl is on the last year of his contract. Trade for him at the deadline or for his rights after the season and sign him to an 8 year deal for whatever it takes.

I’d re-sign Dumba and keep Midds in this situation. Addison ain’t it.
You can certainly do so, Addison has room to grow and has the offensive mindset we want. I’d prefer grooming that over keeping the same old same old.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Wouldn’t mind if Guerin looked into bringing back our Expansion Draft casualties this offseason (Soucy & Haula).

On-ice for the playoffs:

Spurgeon 5GF 14GA
Johansson 4GF 12GA
Brodin 3GF 9GA

I present to you, the top 3 players for most goals against when they are on the ice.

Spurgeon had the worst all strengths GA/60 and 5v5 GA/60.

Spurgeon had the worst 5v5 GF% and third worst all strengths GF% of the entire team.

Since we beat Colorado, name me a time that Spurgeon was good in the playoffs. He’s folded way more than not.

Just last year he had a 5v5 xGF% of 60%.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wouldn’t mind if Guerin looked into bringing back our Expansion Draft casualties this offseason (Soucy & Haula).

Just last year he had a 5v5 xGF% of 60%.
I don't think we have the cap space to bring anyone of note in. Next year, and for sure the one after, will be years where we are bringing in new, young, faces(hopefully), even though it might cost us a few wins. I think there is zero chance we win a Cup during those years, so i'd rather we recognize it and build for the future rather than try to squeak into the playoffs again. I think the fans will be patient and not give up on the team if they see BG doing that. Less patient if we bring in older, declining players.

By 24-25, I'd like to see Marat, Rossi, Ohgren, Yurov, Walker, Beckman, Milne, maybe Bankier get in some NHL games. On the back end, Hunt, ROR, Faber (obviously), maybe one of Peart/Lambos/ Spacek. Wallstedt, of course. That's a big ask, but not outside of the realm of possibility. There will be prospects that flame out, or get injured, but also ones that will develop more than expected(i.e. Masters, Bankier).

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don't think we have the cap space to bring anyone of note in. Next year, and for sure the one after, will be years where we are bringing in new, young, faces(hopefully), even though it might cost us a few wins. I think there is zero chance we win a Cup during those years, so i'd rather we recognize it and build for the future rather than try to squeak into the playoffs again. I think the fans will be patient and not give up on the team if they see BG doing that. Less patient if we bring in older, declining players.

By 24-25, I'd like to see Marat, Rossi, Ohgren, Yurov, Walker, Beckman, Milne, maybe Bankier get in some NHL games. On the back end, Hunt, ROR, Faber (obviously), maybe one of Peart/Lambos/ Spacek. Wallstedt, of course. That's a big ask, but not outside of the realm of possibility. There will be prospects that flame out, or get injured, but also ones that will develop more than expected(i.e. Masters, Bankier).
They realistically can bring people in, they just need to be willing to move Goligoski, Zuccarello, and/or Foligno. Goligoski is the only one with a full NMC and he seemed amenable to being traded at the TDL. I don’t think Guerin would have difficulties in finding suitors for the other two.

Those 3 right there open up $11.1M and they’re all older players that need to be replaced anyways. I do agree that they’re going to eventually need their younger guys to step up and fill in these openings. However, I’d also like them to filter into a team that is still winning. If this team fails to make the playoffs two seasons in a row, I’d be concerned about re-signing Kaprizov in the following offseason.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They realistically can bring people in, they just need to be willing to move Goligoski, Zuccarello, and/or Foligno. Goligoski is the only one with a full NMC and he seemed amenable to being traded at the TDL. I don’t think Guerin would have difficulties in finding suitors for the other two.

Those 3 right there open up $11.1M and they’re all older players that need to be replaced anyways. I do agree that they’re going to eventually need their younger guys to step up and fill in these openings. However, I’d also like them to filter into a team that is still winning. If this team fails to make the playoffs two seasons in a row, I’d be concerned about re-signing Kaprizov in the following offseason.
If BG is smart we should just sell some bodies and tank next year. It worked for Chicago.
And there is your Catch-22. I will also add that while Eiserman, or whoever, might be a vg player, he is not close to Bedard's level, or even Michkov's. In any event, tanking often doesn't result in the #1 pick.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
And there is your Catch-22. I will also add that while Eiserman, or whoever, might be a vg player, he is not close to Bedard's level, or even Michkov's. In any event, tanking often doesn't result in the #1 pick.
I’d be 100% satisfied with a top 5 pick this year. I’m just dying for some top level talent. And frustrated Chicago won. Can’t believe it.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Eiserman most likely won't go 1OA it will be Celebrini or someone else

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
CM ranked 106th in faceoffs as a center, at 46% if we round up. I don’t know if he should be a target when trading our #1 goalie.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Looking forward to 24-25, this team could position themselves to have a lot of cap available to improve the team.

Making some assumptions:

· Khusnutdinov, Yurov, Ohgren, and Wallstedt are all NHL ready
· Gus signs a 3 year, $10M contract this offseason.
· Dewar & Duhaime make a combined $2.5M AAV in the 24-25 season.
· Salary cap reaches $87.5M after escrow debt is fully paid off.

Kap - Khusnutdinov - Yurov
Johansson - Rossi - Boldy
Ohgren - Ek - X
Dewar - Gaudreau - Duhaime

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Merill - X

Gus
Wallstedt

Team will have $18.75M to fill in the rest of the roster. Realistically Yurov and Ohgren may need a year in the AHL, but it's not like there aren't other guys that might make the jump between now and then on an ELC. I would assume one or more of Hunt, ROR, and Lambos also make this roster.

Notable Forward UFAs: A. Matthews, S. Aho, W. Nylander, J. Guentzel, S. Reinhart, E. Lindholm, C. Stephenson, V. Arvidsson, A. Kopitar, S. Stamkos, M. Scheifele

Notable Defense UFAs: D. Toews, B. Montour, N. Hanifin, B. Pesce, B. Skjei, G. Forsling, A. Deangelo, T. Brodie

Tanking next season may honestly be the best option so that guys like Foligno, Goli, Zucc, Hartman, and/or Fleury can be traded at the deadline to a contender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad