Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Why would Vegas let him go? And if they did, we couldn't afford him for 2+ years anyway. I get it, I like him too but we could come up with a helluva list of players that would help that they have no realistic shot at.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am kind of resigned to next year being more of the same. Even if Rossi develops into a NHL C, I can see Zucc succumbing to age/injury, Spurgeon starting to slow down, and our goalies being worse.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
One guy I would like to see on the Wild squad is Wild Bill Karlsson. He has 10 goals in the playoffs and only Draisatl has scored more. And any player who is called Wild Bill should play with the Wild, of course.
There is the no 1 center we need. Very good at faceoffs and penalty kills, and a Selke type player. Has scored 43 goals once.
I’d rather see us trade assets for someone 6-12 years younger.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I am kind of resigned to next year being more of the same. Even if Rossi develops into a NHL C, I can see Zucc succumbing to age/injury, Spurgeon starting to slow down, and our goalies being worse.
Mostly on this train, I don't think there is much outside help coming, but I do still have some hope and like the players on this team. There is some potential improvement though and young guys to keep us interested that could develop into late season help. Boldy with an offseason of shooting training could be in for a very big year, and Faber is already one of my favorite defensemen to watch. JEE seems to get better every single year, love that dude and if he is healthy he always makes us competitive. I also thought Kaprizov had a much more up and down season, I think he had several injuries early that he played through, and look forward to seeing a more healthy version of him this upcoming season.

We need the good version of Hartman to show up, and then some of our depth guys like Duhaime and Dewar will need to take more big steps forward if we want to be really competitive. I do think both have some untapped potential, but struggle with finishing and consistency.

I think there is a lot more downside potential with this team than previous seasons, a few injuries to key guys, or a bad year for Gus and we could be sunk pretty quickly, and there is no wiggle room for acquisitions in the first half of the season.

No matter what, I will still watch, Kap and Boldy are two of the more creative and dynamic players that we have ever had on this team, and I enjoy the show they put on, the rest of the cast is pretty likeable and everyone plays hard to the point where effort is never an issue, just execution.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Latest Russo/LaPanta podcast, they were asked a "who says no" of sending Rossi, Addison, and a 2nd to Arizona in exchange for Logan Cooley.

They basically said Arizona would say no, but may look to move him if he makes it known he won't play there, then they went on to say that Guerin probably regrets not being more aggressive going after Eichel when he was available, and there is a strong possibility that Guerin starts getting pressure from above to be more aggressive starting this off-season or more likely next season when some of the salary cap restraints start to go away.

I have to wonder if something like Foligno + Ohgren + Addison + 2023 1st (#21) would be enough for Arizona to deal Cooley before the draft here - if and only if Cooley starts playing hardball and doesn't want to sign with Arizona. The Coyotes prospect pool features Dylan Guenther (RW), Conor Geekie (C), plus young(ish) players in Barrett Hayton (C), Clayton Keller (RW). They don't have any good LW prospects, their D prospects leave a lot to be desired. Foligno and Addison help them now, Ohgren helps them next season, and there is a decent/good chance they could turn around and package their 11th overall + 21st overall to move up to 7/8/9 and get two top-10 guys this year.

I don't think it's likely the Wild trade for Cooley, but I do have to wonder.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Latest Russo/LaPanta podcast, they were asked a "who says no" of sending Rossi, Addison, and a 2nd to Arizona in exchange for Logan Cooley.

They basically said Arizona would say no, but may look to move him if he makes it known he won't play there, then they went on to say that Guerin probably regrets not being more aggressive going after Eichel when he was available, and there is a strong possibility that Guerin starts getting pressure from above to be more aggressive starting this off-season or more likely next season when some of the salary cap restraints start to go away.

I have to wonder if something like Foligno + Ohgren + Addison + 2023 1st (#21) would be enough for Arizona to deal Cooley before the draft here - if and only if Cooley starts playing hardball and doesn't want to sign with Arizona. The Coyotes prospect pool features Dylan Guenther (RW), Conor Geekie (C), plus young(ish) players in Barrett Hayton (C), Clayton Keller (RW). They don't have any good LW prospects, their D prospects leave a lot to be desired. Foligno and Addison help them now, Ohgren helps them next season, and there is a decent/good chance they could turn around and package their 11th overall + 21st overall to move up to 7/8/9 and get two top-10 guys this year.

I don't think it's likely the Wild trade for Cooley, but I do have to wonder.
That's pretty bad for Arizona. I'd be ecstatic with it as a MN fan.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
BUT it would be good for Arizona IF the alternative is getting nothing.
It’s likely not but rather get something than nothing.
True, but the idea of them getting nothing is still years away. By then, Rossi will either have a ton of value to us, or no value to Arizona. Same with Addison.

There is zero chance that Arizona accepts that this offseason.

If Arizona puts Cooley on the table today, that offer gets absolutely smoked by other teams.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have to wonder if something like Foligno + Ohgren + Addison + 2023 1st (#21) would be enough for Arizona to deal Cooley before the draft here - if and only if Cooley starts playing hardball and doesn't want to sign with Arizona. The Coyotes prospect pool features Dylan Guenther (RW), Conor Geekie (C), plus young(ish) players in Barrett Hayton (C), Clayton Keller (RW). They don't have any good LW prospects, their D prospects leave a lot to be desired.

Keller-Cooley-Guenther
Maccelli-Geekie-X
Crouse-Hayton-Doan

Soderstrom-Moser
Valimaki-X

Their pool of young guys isn't really that bad. They also have two 1sts this year, and four 2nds the next two years. They really don't need a bunch of middle of the lineup players that we would send them, they've got that covered. Trading Cooley for something like that would be their last resort. They need high end guys just like we do. And there's no reason to even exploring trading Cooley until next summer at the earliest if he goes back again.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Has Cooley even hinted he doesn’t want to play there? Or is this all rumored/hypothetical?

It's all rumored/hypothetical because he chose to go back for his sophomore season, and people are trying to connect the dots with Arizona's uncertainty.

The thing is, either they get a new stadium in Arizona, or they move somewhere elsewhere they get a new stadium. So Cooley doesn't have much to worry about in regards to that. It's not like the plan is to play at ASU forever.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
It's all rumored/hypothetical because he chose to go back for his sophomore season, and people are trying to connect the dots with Arizona's uncertainty.

The thing is, either they get a new stadium in Arizona, or they move somewhere elsewhere they get a new stadium. So Cooley doesn't have much to worry about in regards to that. It's not like the plan is to play at ASU forever.
It is a mess, so it might make sense to wait and see how it plays out, if that is a factor for him. I’m sure any other average Joe would probably just sign the deal next year and run.

In regards to his development, I think the 2 year (college) plan is smart. He just turned 19 last month lol. I think these teams are pressured sometimes to rush their prospects, which often times hurts, not helps.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's the highest amount of money you guys would give OEL to come here and see if he works out as a second pair LD behind Brodin?
What's the highest amount of money we could even offer him after we get everyone else signed?

Not a fan of Middleton playing top four minutes, and even though OEL has fallen off over the last several years, there could be a slight chance he rebounds slightly playing in a lesser role in a better system.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I doubt Arizona would want a goalie for Cooley.
Eh I said it was a start. If Cooley was from Minnesota or had a lot of ties to Minnesota I could see a Adam Fox situation. But I don't see why Cooley would pick Minnesota unlike Faber who hinted that he would like to play in Minnesota.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What's the highest amount of money you guys would give OEL to come here and see if he works out as a second pair LD behind Brodin?
What's the highest amount of money we could even offer him after we get everyone else signed?

Not a fan of Middleton playing top four minutes, and even though OEL has fallen off over the last several years, there could be a slight chance he rebounds slightly playing in a lesser role in a better system.

It would have to be OEL/Brodin as the top pair.
Spurgeon is the wrong d-man to be paired with OEL.
Faber is a rookie and should be brought a long as a 2-way d-man, not just a babysitter.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It would have to be OEL/Brodin as the top pair.
Spurgeon is the wrong d-man to be paired with OEL.
Faber is a rookie and should be brought a long as a 2-way d-man, not just a babysitter.
I'm not pairing OEL and Brodin as two lefties on the top pair when the goal is to get Middleton off the middle pair where he doesn't belong. Whether you want to put Spurgeon or Faber on the top pair with Brodin, I don't really have a preference, but if you're still going to have Middleton play second pair minutes, you might as well not even sign OEL. The idea in bringing him in was also to see if he can rebound in a role without as much pressure/responsibility as he has been in recently, so sticking him up top with Brodin is the polar opposite of that.

I'm also not even convinced Faber has two-way D in him. For all I know he's just Brodin round 2.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Brodin-Spurgeon/Faber
OEL-Faber/Spurgeon
Middleton-Addison
Merrill

Bye Goligoski

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not pairing OEL and Brodin as two lefties on the top pair when the goal is to get Middleton off the middle pair where he doesn't belong. Whether you want to put Spurgeon or Faber on the top pair with Brodin, I don't really have a preference, but if you're still going to have Middleton play second pair minutes, you might as well not even sign OEL.

I'm also not even convinced Faber has two-way D in him. For all I know he's just Brodin round 2.

2 lefties on the top pair doesn't bother me. The last time MN did that they won a round in the Playoffs.

I don't really ant OEL at all. He's a shell of the player he once was.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
2 lefties on the top pair doesn't bother me. The last time MN did that they won a round in the Playoffs.

I don't really ant OEL at all. He's a shell of the player he once was.
The idea in bringing him in was also to see if he can rebound in a role without as much pressure/responsibility as he has been in recently, so sticking him up top with Brodin is the polar opposite of that.

2 lefties on the top pair doesn't bother me in a vacuum. Like I said, the goal is to bring him in to move Middleton off the middle pair. Putting him on the top pair means you double up righties on the middle pair, or Middleton is still playing there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The idea in bringing him in was also to see if he can rebound in a role without as much pressure/responsibility as he has been in recently, so sticking him up top with Brodin is the polar opposite of that.

He was on the 2nd pair in VAN last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad