Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Trading Kap and zucc would make enough cap room to afford him. Once you do that you start adding around him. Top 6 C of matthews and ek feels quite good compared to Hartman and ek.

Boldy - Matthews - Johanson
X - Ek - Hartman

I’m fine with that to start the year. If people can beat out Hartman great bump him to 3rw.

I’ll agree matthews doesn’t make us a contender instantly but it fills our biggest void. I’d rather go shopping for scoring wingers than trying for a 1C even longer than we have.

So 3 top-6 players in the top 6? No thanks. Going all in was a move that needed to be made with Fiala, Boldy, Kap, and Zucc as wingers.

MarJo had a good month in MN. Lets completely ignore the fact he'll soon be 33 and he's been a ~.5ppg player the since the 17-18 season.

There is no reason for Matthews to re-sign in MN when he can make the same money elsewhere. If you want him wait until he hits UFA and add him to a roster with Kap on the team.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Anyone think we have a chance snagging a big fish UFA in 2024? EP or the like would be nice. I hope Marat can center us in 2024 also, assuming his deal is done. Maybe trade for a solid C this year, and we could maybe roll Marat, JEE and UFA/Dvorsky/Moore/Yager in 2025. Who knows maybe Bankier will be our 4C by then.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not all that different from what we have now

Hence why I don;t make that Kap for Matthews trade. It's mostly a lateral move for next season and a downgrade the next 2 seasons.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hence why I don;t make that Kap for Matthews trade. It's mostly a lateral move for next season and a downgrade the next 2 seasons.

Keeping Kaprizov is a lateral move for the next three seasons and a downgrade for the foreseeable future beyond that. I'm just kicking this "retool" off early.

In theory we could trade Kaprizov but I don't see them going that route.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anyone think we have a chance snagging a big fish UFA in 2024? EP or the like would be nice. I hope Marat can center us in 2024 also, assuming his deal is done. Maybe trade for a solid C this year, and we could maybe roll Marat, JEE and UFA/Dvorsky/Moore/Yager in 2025. Who knows maybe Bankier will be our 4C by then.

Lindholm is who I'm keeping an eye on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Keeping Kaprizov is a lateral move for the next three seasons and a downgrade for the foreseeable future beyond that. I'm just kicking this "retool" off early.

In theory we could trade Kaprizov but I don't see them going that route.

I said trade Kap (and Addison) for futures.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He’ll be an RFA. I do think they’ll bring in one of the following if they test free agency.

Forward UFAs: A. Matthews, S. Aho, W. Nylander, J. Guentzel, S. Reinhart, E. Lindholm, C. Stephenson, V. Arvidsson, A. Kopitar, S. Stamkos, M. Scheifele

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
So 3 top-6 players in the top 6? No thanks. Going all in was a move that needed to be made with Fiala, Boldy, Kap, and Zucc as wingers.

MarJo had a good month in MN. Lets completely ignore the fact he'll soon be 33 and he's been a ~.5ppg player the since the 17-18 season.

There is no reason for Matthews to re-sign in MN when he can make the same money elsewhere. If you want him wait until he hits UFA and add him to a roster with Kap on the team.
We can’t afford him straight up without trading that’s the issue. Plus this lands us knies who looks like a good prospect. It’s not going all in, it’s filling a void with a quality building block.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
We can’t afford him straight up without trading that’s the issue. Plus this lands us knies who looks like a good prospect. It’s not going all in, it’s filling a void with a quality building block.

If Matthews walks, then 2 years of Kap was traded for Knies.

Sorry, why does Matthews want to stay in MN after downgrading from Marner, Nylander, and Tavares, to Boldy, Zucc (also a pending UFA), and JEE?

Matthews is currently on a $11.6m/yr contract, I don't see him taking a pay cut on his next contract. Even a modest $85m cap put the cap% of his last contract at ~$12.3m/yr. This doesn't even account for things like state taxes and potential secondary revenue streams (endorsements, ads, etc). So where does that raise money + the money to surround him with other quality players? He doesn't have any ties to MN to help draw him here.

The risk/reward of Kap (3 years) for Matthews (1 year) just doesn't come close. I'm okay with trading Kap for futures because the team will be a bottom feeder next year without him. I see the current prospect pool as 2 seasons away from making a difference in the NHL. Also, next season MN has enough rentals that should bring in a decent return so there is assets gained.

I'm saying this as someone who is against tanking. I just don't see the Wild as more than a fringe Playoff team the next 2 seasons, and that's only with Kap dragging the team on his back. There is just too much cap is tied up in buyouts and NTCs.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If Matthews walks, then 2 years of Kap was traded for Knies.

Sorry, why does Matthews want to stay in MN after downgrading from Marner, Nylander, and Tavares, to Boldy, Zucc (also a pending UFA), and JEE?

Matthews is currently on a $11.6m/yr contract, I don't see him taking a pay cut on his next contract. Even a modest $85m cap put the cap% of his last contract at ~$12.3m/yr. This doesn't even account for things like state taxes and potential secondary revenue streams (endorsements, ads, etc). So where does that raise money + the money to surround him with other quality players? He doesn't have any ties to MN to help draw him here.

The risk/reward of Kap (3 years) for Matthews (1 year) just doesn't come close. I'm okay with trading Kap for futures because the team will be a bottom feeder next year without him. I see the current prospect pool as 2 seasons away from making a difference in the NHL. Also, next season MN has enough rentals that should bring in a decent return so there is assets gained.

I'm saying this as someone who is against tanking. I just don't see the Wild as more than a fringe Playoff team the next 2 seasons, and that's only with Kap dragging the team on his back. There is just too much cap is tied up in buyouts and NTCs.
I wasn’t implying trading for him as is, sorry in my original response to akl I stated he needs an extension in place to make it worth it otherwise I agree he wouldn’t just sign here in the off season most likely unless we can entice him enough which I don’t see is having that ability.

I also agree I don’t see us making a push and we won’t miss the playoffs with Kap. As much as I’d hate it, trading him as is right now and selling off all our rentals makes a ton of sense. Sadly it won’t happen. We all know it won’t happen. That is why I’m far more in favor of trading him now as is for a 1C WITH an extension. A rental is out of the question. It would be a “hockey trade” and a lateral move where Matthews may drag us into the playoffs also but I’d be happier about it as it fills our center issue and creates an issue on wing which I see as easier to fix.

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
The odds Matthews would want to play for the wild is honestly as close to a 0% chance while not being 0 that you can possibly get.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
What caliber of player does Gus + Addison + Foligno get you? This team needs another scoring C if they want to be serious and we can’t count on Rossi to be that at this point.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
What caliber of player does Gus + Addison + Foligno get you? This team needs another scoring C if they want to be serious and we can’t count on Rossi to be that at this point.

I don't see a better option than Mittelstadt if that is the trio of assets available.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Those 3 players don't make a good package, they each fill a specific role/need.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I say trade #21+2nd(+2nd)+Addison and see how high that gets us for starters, if we’re eyeing somebody who’s left on the board. I don’t see us moving up past 12/13 at the very most regardless of the trade package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad