Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
If we're going off what Guerin has said (and done) in the past, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think he makes a big splash for a 1/2C.

At least not one of any note anyway.

I'd be very happy to be wrong however.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If we're going off what Guerin has said (and done) in the past, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think he makes a big splash for a 1/2C.

At least not one of any note anyway.

I'd be very happy to be wrong however.
Until the dead cap is gone he won’t go big game hunting. We all know that but it is nice to dream

Qulquri

Oct 19, 2019
When is it revealed if the salary cap rises 1 million or more for the next season?
Do you think Gus and other players are also waiting the info because it directly affects the amount they could get paid?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm hoping that we will hear that Goligoski has been moved to another team for a 5th, or something like, sometime this summer. The fact that he wasn't trusted to play during the playoffs says it all, for me.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm hoping that we will hear that Goligoski has been moved to another team for a 5th, or something like, sometime this summer. The fact that he wasn't trusted to play during the playoffs says it all, for me.
Doesn't Goligoski have a NMC?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Was he angry enough at his usage last season to waive it?

How angry do you have to be at not playing every night to re-uproot your family from your home state where you've already decided you want to settle down and retire, for one year of (maybe) getting more playing time on (probably) a worse team?

Part of me hopes Guerin approached him about waiving his NMC and Goligoski said "I don't have to do shit"

Reactions: Slotski

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Guerin could also buy him out for 1.33M total, spread equally over the next two years. Hardly seems worth it. He wasn’t great last year, but he’s ok as a 6/7 Dman. I actually thought he looked good down the stretch when he finally got in some games. It could be that he is better when he is well rested.

If they can’t move him, then they might as well keep him on, unless that small cap savings this year is the difference that allows us to sign someone ( don’t ask me who).

I will be interested to see what the interest is in Dumba.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
How angry do you have to be at not playing every night to re-uproot your family from your home state where you've already decided you want to settle down and retire, for one year of (maybe) getting more playing time on (probably) a worse team?

Part of me hopes Guerin approached him about waiving his NMC and Goligoski said "I don't have to do shit"
Pretty darn angry, I would imagine. Being that he's in charge of his NMC, however, he could largely choose his destination, so he wouldn't have to settle for a team he doesn't want to play for.

Yes, that would be satisfying, and I'd love to see it on video. I have liked Guerin's performance overall, but he is a major git.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, in three years time, this is what we have?

Kap:crossfing - JEE/Marat - Yurov
Ohgren - Rossi:crossfing(of another sort) - Boldy
Gaudreau/Beckman - Marat/Gaudreau - Walker/Beckman
Milne - Dewar/ Bankier - Duhaime

If Yurov ends up being a top 6 offensive talent he should provide speed a bit of welcome size to the first line. Marat might not have first line skill, but he can skate and play defense, allowing the other two to get on with it, and opening up some space with his speed. Not a perfect solution, but until we have something better, it might work. If he doesn't show well then we can move JEE up, and put Marat on the 3rd line.
Rossi might not be good enough to be a 3C, let alone a 2C, but i do think that it's important that he plays with some offensive talent. If he doesn't pan out, we still have some bodies to play at C.
That's not a physical lineup, at all. Duhaime is the toughest, and he's only semi-tough. Fairly fast, besides Rossi, and maybe Boldy.

Brodin - Faber
Peart - Spurgeon/Spacek/?
Hunt - Lambos

ROR

That's a lot of youth, but nothing wrong with young legs. Hopefully at least one or two of the young guys fill out (ROR?) so they can bring a bit of physicality?

Gus/Wall

Seems pretty obvious at this point?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brodin - Faber
Peart - Spurgeon/Spacek/?
Hunt - Lambos

ROR

That's a lot of youth, but nothing wrong with young legs. Hopefully at least one or two of the young guys fill out (ROR?) so they can bring a bit of physicality?
This screams that we need more size. I’m pretty sure Brodin is the biggest player there :help:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This screams that we need more size. I’m pretty sure Brodin is the biggest player there :help:
Faber is the same height, and thicker than Brodin. ROR, Hunt, Peart, Spacek, Lambos are all at least 6'. Big enough, and I think that they at least a couple of them will play with a bit of physicality. The main thing is that they can play, and not get pushed around. We can always hold onto Middleton, also.

The forwards are more worrying in terms of lack of aggressiveness.

I wouldn't say that size is overrated... it's nice to have some of it. I will say that size doesn't always equal strength, aggressiveness, or toughness. Weird things happen when you get players on the ice. Some big guys are creampuffs. Some small ones are ferocious mentally, have an innate understanding of how to play physically, and/or, are unusually strong on their skates.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, in three years time, this is what we have?

Gus/Wall

Seems pretty obvious at this point?

Not only is it a LOT of youth, but that is the best-case scenario for every player. And some of those players are going to bust or not develop.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not only is it a LOT of youth, but that is the best-case scenario for every player. And some of those players are going to bust or not develop.
Yeah, but some other players might jump up from next to nothing. A Petrovsky, Firstov, Healey, Haight, Lorenz or Masters could be on the team in 3 years. We have a much deeper prospect pool than in years past, because we aren't trading away draft picks, and Brackett appears to know what he is doing, though that is still TBD.

Last edited:
Reactions: fgobuzz

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Hard to see us not spending on a high end center to add to that group once some cap space opens up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hard to see us not spending on a high end center to add to that group once some cap space opens up.
By that time we will know what we have, more or less, with Rossi, Marat, and Bankier, and whether or not it will be necessary.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
So we still add a center in there somewhere unless 2 out of the 3 are exceeding all expectations. Which seems like a long shot.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So we still add a center in there somewhere unless 2 out of the 3 are exceeding all expectations. Which seems like a long shot.
Realistically, we only need one to hit. The issue is we need them to hit big. I could see Khusnutdinov being that guy.

Reactions: fgobuzz

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Faber is the same height, and thicker than Brodin. ROR, Hunt, Peart, Spacek, Lambos are all at least 6'. Big enough, and I think that they at least a couple of them will play with a bit of physicality. The main thing is that they can play, and not get pushed around. We can always hold onto Middleton, also.

The forwards are more worrying in terms of lack of aggressiveness.

I wouldn't say that size is overrated... it's nice to have some of it. I will say that size doesn't always equal strength, aggressiveness, or toughness. Weird things happen when you get players on the ice. Some big guys are creampuffs. Some small ones are ferocious mentally, have an innate understanding of how to play physically, and/or, are unusually strong on their skates.
I was looking at Florida's roster the other day and was shocked at Ryan Lomberg's height. Thought he was at least 2 inches taller. If Mason Shaw could stay healthy and add 10 lbs...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Realistically, we only need one to hit. The issue is we need them to hit big. I could see Khusnutdinov being that guy.
By all reports, Marat is more of a two way, middle six C. Not a high end offensive player, though his speed does help him get opportunities.

I was looking at Florida's roster the other day and was shocked at Ryan Lomberg's height. Thought he was at least 2 inches taller. If Mason Shaw could stay healthy and add 10 lbs...
I think Shaw is maxed out.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
By all reports, Marat is more of a two way, middle six C. Not a high end offensive player, though his speed does help him get opportunities.

I think Shaw is maxed out.
Sadly, I agree. I just think if he hadn't had all the injuries, he may have been that guy for the Wild.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sadly, I agree. I just think if he hadn't had all the injuries, he may have been that guy for the Wild.
Wish I could say the same. I was surprised that he was as effective as he was in the NHL- he seemed to play much smarter than he did down in the AHL. There is a limit as to how much you can accomplish if you don't have the talent, nvm his knee problems. I always though Dewar had more going for him. Better speed, better shot, and hockey sense overall. Still seems to have 3rd line upside, due to his size and strength issues.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
One guy I would like to see on the Wild squad is Wild Bill Karlsson. He has 10 goals in the playoffs and only Draisatl has scored more. And any player who is called Wild Bill should play with the Wild, of course.
There is the no 1 center we need. Very good at faceoffs and penalty kills, and a Selke type player. Has scored 43 goals once.

Reactions: RobinOvian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad