Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota really needs to generate more offense from their defensemen. They had the second lowest points out of their defensemen in the NHL. Can't sustain good offense without the defense putting some offensive pressure on the opposing team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota really needs to generate more offense from their defensemen. They had the second lowest points out of their defensemen in the NHL. Can't sustain good offense without the defense putting some offensive pressure on the opposing team.
Not long ago they had close to the most points from the Dmen in the league. It’s just a matter of emphasis, though personnel matters, too. Do you want a high scoring team, with defense being secondary, or do you want to play a tight defensive game and win games 3-2? One involves Dmen jumping up into the play, pinching, and overall taking a lot of risks, while playing guys like Addison over more defensive, grinding players.
I seem to remember that we were playing the former style early on in the year, then Dean changed course. We ended up with a good defensive team that allowed a young, previously underperforming goalie to become a Vezina contender.

Defensive play also involves forwards making less risky decisions, also.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not long ago they had close to the most points from the Dmen in the league. It’s just a matter of emphasis, though personnel matters, too. Do you want a high scoring team, with defense being secondary, or do you want to play a tight defensive game and win games 3-2? One involves Dmen jumping up into the play, pinching, and overall taking a lot of risks, while playing guys like Addison over more defensive, grinding players.
I seem to remember that we were playing the former style early on in the year, then Dean changed course. We ended up with a good defensive team that allowed a young, previously underperforming goalie to become a Vezina contender.

I think you can have both.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
dropping in as I have some tidbits from a guy who is "close" enough (info is 2 people removed from Guerin essentially) to Guerin that It's reasonably likely that this is true; I'm not saying it's for sure truth, but it's what I heard from someone that is close to someone that is close to Guerin.
-AZ is interested in Rossi
-Wild really really really want to draft a center
-The swedish scouts like Edstrom
-Brackett likes Moore, Guerin loves the idea of Danielson
-They're going to try and move up with one of thier 2nds and/or Addison
How the hell would they get Moore?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Addison was part of the problem in lack of 5v5 output. He was at the same or less 5v5 0.56 p/60 as Brodin, Dumba, Merrill, and Middleton. Goli was friggin terrible with a 0.17 5v5 p/60.

A reason drop off in d-man points is having only 1 effective PP unit and it has 4 FWDs on it. This year the d-men had a combined 27 PPP, compared to the 69 game 19-20 COVID season (last pre-Kap season) where MN had 50PPP from d-men.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
How the hell would they get Moore?
I’m sure he’d have to slip outside the top 10. Probably unlikely it happens, but we can hope. If that happens, I’d be worried Pitt wants him for example, and then it’s like “we don’t want Addison back, give us something else”

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i don't see how moore falls past det #9 or pens #14 but if he did fall to say #16 i'd trade up. AZ now has so many picks already i would think they'd be trying to trade up for quality.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do you guys think the Wild would be looking to move asset or pick swap to dump any contracts?
No bad contracts, really. Some on here moan about Spurgeon's deal, but if he didn't have a NMC, he could easily be moved for significant assets, IMO. He is not a dump.... not even close to it.

I think it would be premature to move Rossi, myself, unless they get back a top 15-18(depending on who's there)2023 pick. I have some doubts about him, and I think the team does too, but he improved last year upon an already vg rookie year in the AHL in 21-22.

MN is probably a team that is not going to make any big, or even medium, moves for at least a year, probably two, till the cap penalties more or less disappear.

Goligoski (one year, 2M) could be had for next to nothing, but he has to agree to a move due to his NMC.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
dropping in as I have some tidbits from a guy who is "close" enough (info is 2 people removed from Guerin essentially) to Guerin that It's reasonably likely that this is true; I'm not saying it's for sure truth, but it's what I heard from someone that is close to someone that is close to Guerin.
-AZ is interested in Rossi
-Wild really really really want to draft a center
-The swedish scouts like Edstrom
-Brackett likes Moore, Guerin loves the idea of Danielson
-They're going to try and move up with one of thier 2nds and/or Addison
YES!!

Nice info, Judd. Please drop in with more if and when you have it. Would be interested in your draft takes, especially regarding the C's. I think that we will have to pick between Heidt, Edstrom, Ritchie, Stenberg, as guys like Yager, Dvorsky, and Danielson will be gone.

I wonder how many spots we could move up if we added one of our 2nd's to our 21st? Depends on what's there, of course, but I'd say 5-6 spots at best. I don't know that i love a lot of prospects in the players that are projected to be in the late teens, or put another way, all those players have question marks. Wonder of the smarter play might not be to combine the two later seconds we have to move way up in the second round. I do think the talent starts to tail off after the top 35-40 or so, especially if you are focussing on forwards. So;

- Add Addison to 21 for a mid late teens pick if the right player is there
- Combine our two 2nds to get an early 2nd/late 1st.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
YES!!

Nice info, Judd. Please drop in with more if and when you have it. Would be interested in your draft takes, especially regarding the C's. I think that we will have to pick between Heidt, Edstrom, Ritchie, Stenberg, as guys like Yager, Dvorsky, and Danielson will be gone.

I wonder how many spots we could move up if we added one of our 2nd's to our 21st? Depends on what's there, of course, but I'd say 5-6 spots at best. I don't know that i love a lot of prospects in the players that are projected to be in the late teens, or put another way, all those players have question marks. Wonder of the smarter play might not be to combine the two later seconds we have to move way up in the second round. I do think the talent starts to tail off after the top 35-40 or so, especially if you are focussing on forwards. So;

- Add Addison to 21 for a mid late teens pick if the right player is there
- Combine our two 2nds to get an early 2nd/late 1st.
Think Addison + our 2nds gets us a decent 1st? I’d assume we could but draft pick value in the NHL is far off my radar if expertise

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Think Addison + our 2nds gets us a decent 1st? I’d assume we could but draft pick value in the NHL is far off my radar if expertise
Depends on what you call "decent". In the 20's I would guess... yeah, maybe even late teens. There are no hard and fast rules, though. Who is there, and what team is picking, is very changeable. I would think that Addison by himself would be worth at least an early 2nd, if not a late 1st.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Depends on what you call "decent". In the 20's I would guess... yeah, maybe even late teens. There are no hard and fast rules, though. Who is there, and what team is picking, is very changeable. I would think that Addison by himself would be worth at least an early 2nd, if not a late 1st.
That’s what I was thinking I’d Addison = late first so adding 2 seconds on top of him possible 15-20 range depending on the team and who is available.

Really wouldn’t mind them shooting their shot of Rossi + vegas 2nd for 12oa. Then addison + 1st + 2nd to move up again and get two higher end picks. Maybe over pay but I’d be happy shooting high.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Other teams can see that we benched Addison down the stretch and into the playoffs. I don't think he gets us up the board as much as some others seem to.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Here's to hoping Guerin learned his lesson now if he does end up trading Rossi. You green light the pick of a guy who's 5'9 without exceptional speed or strength, then trade him 2 years later because he's 5'9 without exceptional speed or strength.

Also hoping he doesn't overcompensate by drafting some low skill guy because he's 6'3 and strong.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s what I was thinking I’d Addison = late first so adding 2 seconds on top of him possible 15-20 range depending on the team and who is available.

Really wouldn’t mind them shooting their shot of Rossi + vegas 2nd for 12oa. Then addison + 1st + 2nd to move up again and get two higher end picks. Maybe over pay but I’d be happy shooting high.
I'm sort of thinking the same, though I also don't think that there is going to be a potentially elite C prospect available there. More like a guy who has JEE potential, or a guy with offensive potential but size/strength/other issues. We all love JEE now, but for about 5 years there post draft a lot of us(not me) considered him a mediocre pick, and bemoaned that we didn't pick Boeser.

In other words, if you move up to 12th, then you might want to pick BFA (Best Forward Available) to get your best value, then pick a C with the 21st.

I've had my doubts about Rossi since before we drafted him, but he has great character, and has improved every year once his health problems were solved. Not sure i want to trade him before he has another camp with us. He just needs to get a bit faster, and a bit stronger, and he'll be an effective top 9 C, if not top 6.

I'd rather trade Addison(even though i don't want to trade him, period)and VGK's 2nd for a pick in the early 20's or so. Pick one solid C type like Edstrom of Ritchie, then another riskier one like Heidt, or even a forward like But, or Honzek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad