Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The player I'm most interested in right now is Mukhamadullin. I think he has the tools to really help the Sharks and he'd be an upgrade over Thrun and Benning at the very least but the question is if the Sharks wanna expose him to that or if they'd rather have him dominate the AHL for one more season, especially after coming back from injury.
I want Mukhamadullin to play in the NHL as soon as possible. Very few defensemen can hit the ground running in the NHL; I expect that in his first season, he'll be adjusting and will be barely NHL-quality. He'll then slowly improve. Eventually...not this year, not next year, not even the year after next year, but eventually, he could be a top-4 defenseman.

Reactions: Hinterland

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Graf and Cagnoni are having monster starts.

In recent memory, Couture, Pavelski, Tierney, Demers, Braun, and Labanc forced themselves into some very good teams by dominating the AHL. You'd think Graf and Cagnoni should be able to do it on some extremely not-good teams.

To be fair, those players might have leap-frogged others because of their low cap hit. Plus, when you're contending development is an afterthought. That's not the case with this team...

Edit: Although, Gushchin had a great season and played what, 4 games?

Reactions: ChompChomp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. Cardwell or Graf are the only forwards really worthy of a call-up at this point.
I'd throw Bystedt into that group as well. The nights that they want to give Smith a development day should be a night that we see Bystedt get some action. Dellandrea as a 3C is a horrendous option to just be okay with, imo.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gushchin has 1 5v5 point through 12 career NHL games. He won the preseason Art Ross though, which is a very real and significant accomplishment, so he's better than Luke Kunin and should be playing over Will Smith.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks got Granlund as a cap dump. If MG can identify another Granlund type vet in a dump, he can move Granlund for a 1st (maybe). Then find a way to add a vet or two in a similar situation. I know Granlund is a best case for re-finding his game. If Granlund stays for 2/3 more years I wouldn't be mad either. Just can't see him wanting to play out his last few years in SJ
Granlund was kind of a weird situation. He’s always been very very skilled and always produced well but was moved to PIT and just flopped due to off ice stuff. Combine his poor season with a brand new ambitious GM and a superstar dman being available for cheap. All around weird situation.
Anyone interested in claiming Yamamoto? Could help with our 5v5 scoring on the 3rd or 4th line
Absolutely not. Not because of his play in any way but because one of my buddies is a big fan of him and he’s very loud and I don’t trust his player judgement.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I’d be curious to try putting the Lund line back together and having a Goodrow - Smith - Toffoli 2nd line. Wennberg isn’t looking too hot, and I want to see how Smith looks with Toffoli.
Good idea, maybe they'll try it. Leaving Kunin-Wennberg-Dell or other on the third checking line.

Reactions: Jargon

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Going back to the defense, it seems like Grier's expectations haven't panned out:

1) Thrun hasn't taken the next step at all. I imagine that Grier was banking on this happening, shades of DW and Gambrell in 2020.
2) Benning has not returned to form. He was a decent #4 defenseman who could move the puck, but it appears that his injury has caused him to regress
3) I think Grier had expectations of Ceci stepping into a middle-pairing role, but he's what he always is; a great third-pairing guy
4) Ferraro and Rutta have regressed. Rutta looked like an NHLer last year. Ferraro's never been a dynamo offensively, but he's even less mobile and less offensively aware this season.
5) Mukhamadullin is injured

Maybe I'm not being fair to Ferraro and discounting how bad a replacement would be, but Grier needs to trade him.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Going back to the defense, it seems like Grier's expectations haven't panned out:

1) Thrun hasn't taken the next step at all. I imagine that Grier was banking on this happening, shades of DW and Gambrell in 2020.
2) Benning has not returned to form. He was a decent #4 defenseman who could move the puck, but it appears that his injury has caused him to regress
3) I think Grier had expectations of Ceci stepping into a middle-pairing role, but he's what he always is; a great third-pairing guy
4) Ferraro and Rutta have regressed. Rutta looked like an NHLer last year. Ferraro's never been a dynamo offensively, but he's even less mobile and less offensively aware this season.
5) Mukhamadullin is injured

Maybe I'm not being fair to Ferraro and discounting how bad a replacement would be, but Grier needs to trade him.
I agree. Which is why I mentioned Mukhamadullin as the player I'm most interested in earlier in this thread. I'm curious what the plan is for him now. I guess the initial plan was for him to play a full NHL season but I wonder if the injury and the overall disappointing start have changed anything.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Signing FA John Klingberg wouldn't be the worst idea? RD who can move the puck and can play in our PP1 with low risk. Even if he isn't good defensively, you can maybe get some more offence. He is injury prone, but that's not going trip us over with how things are going right now.

Walman - Klingberg
Ferraro - Ceci
Thrun - Thompson

Klingberg PP1
Walman PP2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad