Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Awesome to see such an active conversation on Sharks not involving losing or tanking. We are not a playoff team on paper, but it's nice to finally cheer for a win.
In my eyes I see this Sharks team losing close games, having couple of hot streaks and having kind of a neutral season with a spark that keeps the fans watching.
I personally want to see more moments like that Eklund hattrick game. Those more kind of a storyline games that gets us fans excited and having conversations. It's not about points this season, it's about the foundation. More smiles, vibes and building a solid team chemistry.

It's great to actually wait for a season to start.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Lastly, I think there is a lot more talent on this team than has shown. There are like 12+ 1st round picks on this team! (granlund, Celebrini, Smith, Dylandrea, Eklund, Mukh, Ceci, Kunin, Cooch, Kostin, Wennberg... possibly Askarov, musty, and others may be there too, and several 2nd rounders, toffoli, grundstrom, ferraro...). While I know 1st rounder does not equate to talented, I think there is a huge amount of untapped potential on this roster, just ripe for a good coach to unlock.

Warsofsky may be a rookie head coach in the NHL, but he won the calder cup 2 years ago, went to the ECHL final, and he is ythe youngest coach in the NHL, so he understands the culture of the kids. He can relate to them. He knows how to motivate each individual player, and they like and respect him. All these players are throwing Quinn under the bus, but according to grier, they all backed and liked warsofsky. Supposedly, he has healed the toxic goodrow debacle, and reached out to a ll the guys individually. He knows how to coach D and the PK as he has had great success with that at many levels.

Im not sold that he will be awesome, but I think the chances are that he is able to get a whole lot more out of guys than Quinn did. I would not be shocked at all to see Thrun become a legit top 4, and Mukh look good too. By year's end, we may have two bona fide top 4 D right there. I also would not be surprised to see him help 24 yo Dylandrea live up to his 13th overall pick level. There is alot to work with on this roster. its not all hoffmans or lebancs. There is talent here, and I would not be shocked to see that talent maximized next year.

1-800-GAMBLER

Your family loves you
Hahaha!!! thanks! But they only love me if I bring home the bacon :)...

somehow $140 should be ok ;-)

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i want to know what the rest of the coaching staff was doing if Quinn was just throwing the players out there with no system

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
That is a very bad D core

It's not 2024 Sharks bad, but few teams have ever been that bad

In my eyes that shakes out:

#5-#1
#4-#5
#7/#7-#7#6

A legit #1, one complimentary 2nd pair guy, 3 bottom pair guys and a bunch of spares

Dobson is awesome, he's not the singular piece that transforms the core into a playoff caliber defense, we need him plus a developed Dickinson plus a developed Mukhamadullin plus a developed pick from the next two first rounds before it looks competent, you need at least 4 quality NHL defensmen before you can start dreaming of being truly competitive
I respect you that opinion but I see that D core could also be:

#3 Ferraro - #1 Dobson
#4 Walman - #4 Ceci
#5 Thrun - #5 Benning

Muk could even progress as a #4.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
I don't recall specifics of Andersen's playoff run that first year in Toronto but he was no rookie neither. He and Gibson in the previous season won the Jennings trophy in Andersen's third year in the league. I don't think Askarov is ready next season but I do think in his contract year that he probably shows a lot of promise to be a long term #1.

Seattle may have made the playoffs with Jones getting most of the starts but they also had three 30+ point defensemen including Vince Dunn as their 2nd leading scorer and six forwards with 20 goals or more. They had depth throughout their lineup. We lack that.
I mean, the Sharks could easily have five 20 goal scores between Toffoli, Zetterlund, Eklund, Celebrini, and Smith. I know we're all tempering expectations for the kids, but bear in mind that one of your six is Matty Beniers, who was well behind both Celebrini & Smith's NCAA numbers the year prior. And if Couture comes back...

On D, we have 4 guys who have shown they can hit 25+ points between Walman, Ceci, Benning, and Ferraro. Is it so nuts to think with some injection of talent up front 3 of them might hit 30+ like the Kracken guys?

I know I'm talking basically best case scenario here, but the 22-23 Kracken are a great example of how best case scenarios can and do happen. And I know you've been on these boards long enough to see many others.

Come on, open your heart and let yourself believe! 😃

Reactions: Alaskanice

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I mean, the Sharks could easily have five 20 goal scores between Toffoli, Zetterlund, Eklund, Celebrini, and Smith. I know we're all tempering expectations for the kids, but bear in mind that one of your six is Matty Beniers, who was well behind both Celebrini & Smith's NCAA numbers the year prior. And if Couture comes back...

On D, we have 4 guys who have shown they can hit 25+ points between Walman, Ceci, Benning, and Ferraro. Is it so nuts to think with some injection of talent up front 3 of them might hit 30+ like the Kracken guys?

I know I'm talking basically best case scenario here, but the 22-23 Kracken are a great example of how best case scenarios can and do happen. And I know you've been on these boards long enough to see many others.

I believe.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
I wouldn't want to give up anything to get him. Nick Robertson's rights in exchange for "future considerations", sign him to a one year, two-way contract with a nominal bump on his NHL and AHL pay? Sure. He can come in and compete for a spot, and most likely end up with the Cuda because he's not good enough for a top 6 role, but probably not suited for a bottom 6 role. I don't think he wants that, though, and if he had a choice, he would probably prefer another team that would have an NHL spot for him somewhat guaranteed.

I will say this, if there is ever even an inkling that Jason Robertson will hit UFA, then you get Nick Robertson just to try to lure Jason here. I'll never forget Scott Niedermeyer turning us down for Anaheim because his brother Rob was there and want to see that happen once in my life with the Sharks, because Freddie Hamilton didn't work. :laugh:
Can't see Dallas would ever let Jason Robertson go, but stranger things had happened i.e. Wilson let Pavelski go.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: ChompChomp

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
Leafs fan here comes in peace. Just wanted to congratulate you. The way your moldin out to be is intriquin to say the least.

Just wondered howbis your defense in ya prospects since im not too familiar with ya prospect pool

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
How many less goals do you think get scored on them? Over/under 300?
How many more goals do we score? Over/under 210?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Leafs fan here comes in peace. Just wanted to congratulate you. The way your moldin out to be is intriquin to say the least.

Just wondered howbis your defense in ya prospects since im not too familiar with ya prospect pool
Couple Orrs, a Pronger and a Larry Robinson in training. I’m feeling optimistic.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Part of their job is to do what's best for the team. Not just town the coaches line.

That’s a wonderful sentiment but most jobs don’t work that way. Quinn is their boss - they can certainly push their ideas or tell him that the system isn’t working but if he refuses to make adjustments or makes adjustments that are worse… they can’t really do much, except complain to HIS boss. Which, hey,
maybe that’s what got him fired.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I don't know, it sounds like you're trying to invite us to join a cult. And I would know--I live down the street from a pretty famous one! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Sharksfan66

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
How many less goals do you think get scored on them? Over/under 300?
How many more goals do we score? Over/under 210?
Under 300 (very easy).
Over 210 (not by much).

If you cut out the 10, 10, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, and 9 goals against performances and make them all 5 goals allowed (keeping the 10x we gave up 6 goals and 15x we gave up 5 goals), that's already down to 301 goals against.

Reactions: coooldude

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Under 300 (very easy).
Over 210 (not by much).

If you cut out the 10, 10, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, and 9 goals against performances and make them all 5 goals allowed (keeping the 10x we gave up 6 goals and 15x we gave up 5 goals), that's already down to 301 goals against.
So if we cut out 12% of our season :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Under 300 (very easy).
Over 210 (not by much).

Holy crap those numbers

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So if we cut out 12% of our season :laugh:
Take the games that the team quit and turn them into still objectively awful defensive/goaltending performances where there is at least some pride to not rollover, yes.

That's what the rationale was with Goodrow, Toffoli, Dellandrea, Ceci, etc. being brought in. Know the team might not have enough experienced talent to compete, but also need guys that aren't Hoffman, Labanc, Duclair, etc. that are willing to just mail it in and quit on a given night when things are bad.

I think just adding those guys and keeping Quinn is enough to get under 300 allowed. Having Warsofsky (plus 3 goalies that are NHL ability rather than 14 starts of Cooley/Chrona) should make that an even bigger improvement.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
On D, we have 4 guys who have shown they can hit 25+ points between Walman, Ceci, Benning, and Ferraro.

The only one of these guys who has ever scored 25+ points in a season is Ceci. Somebody has to play the point on the power play and will get points from that. But this is wildly optimistic. Walman is a big shot not a puck handler and partnered with Seider in Detroit until the Red Wings soured on him. Benning is coming off a major injury. Ferraro tries hard but is not really an offensive threat.

Reactions: coooldude

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The Sharks last year had one 20 goal scorer in Zetterlund. They probably could've had three if Duclair and Hertl stuck around so I think them ending next season with at least three and probably four is realistic even with the shortcomings of the blue line. I think you can realistically expect one of those blue liners to somehow crack 30 points but that Kraken team had Dunn get 64 points in 81 games. I just don't see any of them having that kind of season in them. None of them have shown to have Dunn's puck skills. Getting nine skaters at a half a point per game for the season (10 if you include Tolvanen with 27 points in 48 games) is not an easy thing to get and I don't think this team is set up that well for something like that. It's possible those five forwards pull it off but does anyone else?

I'm not worried about the team getting to the playoffs next season. I only worry about getting development out of the players that are their future. I consider next season a success if Eklund hits 20 goals, Celebrini establishes himself as the 1C by the end of the season, Smith does the same at 2C, and either one of Mukhamadullin or Thrun show they belong in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad