Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Another option could be to draft Hagens or Martone then trade Smith and a protected 2026 1st for Dobson.
I don’t think I would do that for a wing even if Martone is that good but that is an option. I do think that Smith in the 2025 class is right there with Hagens as an option for #1 overall.

I know it’s DY vs D+1 years but I’m curious if Hagens can out produce Smith between Leonard and Perrault. I guess he doesn’t even though those 2 are a year older.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
You guys are so pessimistic 😂

The 92-93 Sharks literally set the record for most losses in a season with a 17 game losing streak along the way. Then they made the playoffs the next season and even beat Yzerman’s Red Wings in round 1.

They pulled off a similar turnaround from 96-97 to 97-98. And for those saying that’s ancient history, the leafs just did this after drafting 1OA for Matthews.

I’ve pointed this out a few times this summer and still haven’t heard a reasonable response for why the Sharks can’t do it again.

Note: I’m not saying it’s a guarantee they’ll make the playoffs (not by a long shot) but the prevailing wisdom on here seems to be that it’s a foregone conclusion that they will not make the playoffs this year or next year, and I genuinely don’t get why we all go along with this.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

The 92-93 Sharks literally set the record for most losses in a season with a 17 game losing streak along the way. Then they made the playoffs the next season and even beat Yzerman’s Red Wings in round 1.

They pulled off a similar turnaround from 96-97 to 97-98. And for those saying that’s ancient history, the leafs just did this after drafting 1OA for Matthews.

I’ve pointed this out a few times this summer and still haven’t heard a reasonable response for why the Sharks can’t do it again.

Note: I’m not saying it’s a guarantee they’ll make the playoffs (not by a long shot) but the prevailing wisdom on here seems to be that it’s a foregone conclusion that they will not make the playoffs this year or next year, and I genuinely don’t get why we all go along with this.
My best reply to you is that I guess that most on here weren’t around then as you and I were.
I know it can happen. I hope for that every season.

Reactions: Sharksfan66

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

I had started typing out a response to an earlier argument for the "93-94" argument, but never finished. Here are the things that have to happen for you to believe this turnaround is possible:
  • We gave up Pronger :( for picks and 35yo Sergei Makarov who had a resurgence as our top scorer, plus we waiver claimed Igor Larionov. There is absolutely no comparable for these two, unless both Smith and Celebrini have historic rookie seasons
  • Sandis Ozolinsh and Ray Whitney were 2nd year players that had huge breakouts -- maybe Eklund can be Ray or he can be Falloon, but we don't have a Sandis comparable unless Mukh just explodes.
  • Tom Pederson's breakout would be like if Thompson had a big breakout this year. Possible, not likely.
  • We need Askarov (or Blackwood) to pull an Irbe immediately
  • Walman needs to pull a Jeff Norton
  • Baker and Errey could conceivably be Wennberg and one of our other free agent signings... Toffoli needs to play the Todd Elik (shock waiver wire pickup!) role as a scorer.
  • We'd have to pick up a nearly point-per-game player like Ulf Dahlen at the trade deadline
In short, we need everything to go right. Sure, it's possible, like the Kraken being good or the VGK surprising everyone in season 1. But the biggest flaw in the plan, as has been pointed out over and over, is our defense is super thin and we need all three of Walman, Mukh, and e.g. Thompson or Ceci to have a 0.5ppg seasons to match the 94 Sharks.

The Pinholes Graham that someone posted a few weeks back is a great 1hr long summary that was a fun watch, no matter what you think.

My best reply to you is that I guess that most on here weren’t around then as you and I were.
I know it can happen. I hope for that every season.
I went to I think ~35-40 of the home games that season. Was amazing watching Gretz tie Howe's 801. A surprising amount of fans on these boards were around then.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I had started typing out a response to an earlier argument for the "93-94" argument, but never finished. Here are the things that have to happen for you to believe this turnaround is possible:
  • We gave up Pronger :( for picks and 35yo Sergei Makarov who had a resurgence as our top scorer, plus we waiver claimed Igor Larionov. There is absolutely no comparable for these two, unless both Smith and Celebrini have historic rookie seasons
  • Sandis Ozolinsh and Ray Whitney were 2nd year players that had huge breakouts -- maybe Eklund can be Ray or he can be Falloon, but we don't have a Sandis comparable unless Mukh just explodes.
  • Tom Pederson's breakout would be like if Thompson had a big breakout this year. Possible, not likely.
  • Baker and Errey could conceivably be Wennberg and one of our other free agent signings... Toffoli needs to play the Todd Elik (shock waiver wire pickup!) role as a scorer.
  • We'd have to pick up a nearly point-per-game player like Ulf Dahlen at the trade deadline
In short, we need everything to go right. Sure, it's possible, like the Kraken being good or the VGK surprising everyone in season 1. But the biggest flaw in the plan, as has been pointed out over and over, is our defense is super thin and we need all three of Walman, Mukh, and e.g. Thompson or Ceci to have a 0.5ppg seasons to match the 94 Sharks.

The Pinholes Graham that someone posted a few weeks back is a great 1hr long summary that was a fun watch, no matter what you think.

I went to I think ~35-40 of the home games that season. Was amazing watching Gretz tie Howe's 801. A surprising amount of fans on these boards were around then.
Good times. That season. And many more through Doug Wilson’s tenure.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Is the #1 pick really that much more valuable than Dobson? Let's say Hagens has a similar freshman season to Will Smith at BC. Is an even smaller version of Smith more valuable than a 25 year old 6'4" RH defenseman who can play 25 minutes a night in all situations and brings a ton of offense?
It isn’t really even debatable whether the top pick is more valuable than a good but not elite RHD that’s about to get paid $9 million a year for 8 years. As someone that talks about empty calorie production with other players (a point I agree with), curious why the obsession with Dobson when he still is pretty poor in his own end and is going to get paid for points when he’s not really a winning player to date.

Is a RHD a bigger need than Hagens? 100% for the Sharks. That doesn’t mean that you should leave an abundance of value on the table in the 1st overall pick in a 1 for 1 for a non-elite player. Someone is going to give more if 1st overall is on the table because center is important and also because the hype and buzz that comes with that pick (and the revenues).

Last edited:

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
I am keep hearing Nick Robertson link to the Sharks because of his contract dispute with TOR. Would he fit with the Sharks? He is a LW, 22 years old California kid, brother of Dallas Jason Robertson but not as talented. I can't see where would he fits in with the Sharks. We already have 5 LW Eklund, Zetterlund, Gushin, Musty, and Chernyshov. Don't think we need this guy.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021

I figured given your profile pic that at least you were around back then 🙂

To be fair, I was a kid just getting into hockey for the 93-94 run, so I don't remember the details, but just looking at the #s, I don't see how Makarov's resurgence was any more impactful than Granlund's was last year. Is it really so hard to imagine he reproduces that?

Rather than going line by line on a team I only remember a few key players from, I'll just point out that was 1 of 3 examples I gave. The 97-98 Sharks have spooky resonance with this team -- fueled by a new head coach (same as the 93-94 team), two top picks from the last 2 drafts up front, a new goalie acquisition on the backend...I would bet if you went line by line the 24-25 Sharks match up to that team pretty well.

Then there's the 2016-17 Leafs. Even though it's another team, this may be the one most worth reflecting on, since this is our post-lockout example that shows this still happens in the modern NHL, so I'll go line by line on this one.

For a review, here's the team that went from 1OA to the playoffs in a single season:

Milan Michalek – Nazem Kadri – Leo Komarov
van Riemsdyk – Tyler Bozak – Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman – Auston Matthews – William Nylander
Matt Martin – Peter Holland – Connor Brown

Martin Marincin – Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner – Connor Carrick
Matt Hunwick – Nikita Zaitsev

Frederik Andersen
Jhonas Enroth

The way I see it (and I'll try to be conservative in my expectations of our guys here):
  • Couture = Michalek
  • Granlund = Kadri
  • Zetterlund > Komarov
  • Toffoli = JVR
  • Wennberg < Bozak
  • Grundstrom = Hyman
  • Eklund = Nylander
  • Goodrow/Delandria/Kunin = Martin
  • Sturm > Holland
  • Bordeledeau = Brown
Now, I'm not going to pretend I remember that D outside of a couple of guys, but safe to say that's where Toronto was clearly ahead of us. On the other hand, I'd take our goaltending over Toronto's. So that just leaves it down to a question of if Celibrini and Smith can match the combined output of Matthews and Marner.

I know it's not a guarantee but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think they could get close. I'm personally expecting to see at least one of them hit 60 points, and this is where I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because it seems like no one else really expects that. But then I look at Eichel's rookie season on that God awful Sabers teams and I see what a Hobey Baker winner can do. Or Keller's rookie season for what a guy like Smith can do and I just think it's strange we all seem closed off to the possibility we could see our guys do the same.

TLDR; have a little hope! We cheer for a sport where teams can and do have huge turnarounds from one year to the next. 🙂

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I figured given your profile pic that at least you were around back then 🙂

To be fair, I was a kid just getting into hockey for the 93-94 run, so I don't remember the details, but just looking at the #s, I don't see how Makarov's resurgence was any more impactful than Granlund's was last year. Is it really so hard to imagine he reproduces that?

Rather than going line by line on a team I only remember a few key players from, I'll just point out that was 1 of 3 examples I gave. The 97-98 Sharks have spooky resonance with this team -- fueled by a new head coach (same as the 93-94 team), two top picks from the last 2 drafts up front, a new goalie acquisition on the backend...I would bet if you went line by line the 24-25 Sharks match up to that team pretty well.

Then there's the 2016-17 Leafs. Even though it's another team, this may be the one most worth reflecting on, since this is our post-lockout example that shows this still happens in the modern NHL, so I'll go line by line on this one.

For a review, here's the team that went from 1OA to the playoffs in a single season:

Milan Michalek – Nazem Kadri – Leo Komarov
van Riemsdyk – Tyler Bozak – Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman – Auston Matthews – William Nylander
Matt Martin – Peter Holland – Connor Brown

Martin Marincin – Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner – Connor Carrick
Matt Hunwick – Nikita Zaitsev

Frederik Andersen
Jhonas Enroth

The way I see it (and I'll try to be conservative in my expectations of our guys here):
  • Couture = Michalek
  • Granlund = Kadri
  • Zetterlund > Komarov
  • Toffoli = JVR
  • Wennberg < Bozak
  • Grundstrom = Hyman
  • Eklund = Nylander
  • Goodrow/Delandria/Kunin = Martin
  • Sturm > Holland
  • Bordeledeau = Brown
Now, I'm not going to pretend I remember that D outside of a couple of guys, but safe to say that's where Toronto was clearly ahead of us. On the other hand, I'd take our goaltending over Toronto's. So that just leaves it down to a question of if Celibrini and Smith can match the combined output of Matthews and Marner.

I know it's not a guarantee but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think they could get close. I'm personally expecting to see at least one of them hit 60 points, and this is where I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because it seems like no one else really expects that. But then I look at Eichel's rookie season on that God awful Sabers teams and I see what a Hobey Baker winner can do. Or Keller's rookie season for what a guy like Smith can do and I just think it's strange we all seem closed off to the possibility we could see our guys do the same.

TLDR; have a little hope! We cheer for a sport where teams can and do have huge turnarounds from one year to the next. 🙂
It was the OV line, Larionov,Makarov, Garpenlov along with Ozolinsh and Norton. They played as a 5 man unit and wouldn’t give the puck up for no reason. Add in Todd Elik, Jamie Baker and Bob Errey. Adding Arturs Irbe’s rise and we caught Detroit and Toronto off guard. We had very little reason to rise above but we did.
Much the same way St. Louis won the Stanley Cup. They were in last place exactly halfway through the season. Stranger things.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Yep!

I honestly don’t fully get why the general sense is that it’s impossible for team to make a playoff run. It’s unlikely of course but far from impossible…

When is the last time a team had 12 new players on the opening roster including two of the top 5 rookies in the league, one of the top rated rookie D, a 30 goal scoring forward, one of the top defensive/pk forwards, a 12 goal scoring Dman, two more prior cups winners….and of course, a new coach with a nice winning pedigree at every stop along the way.

And that’s on keeping the top three players from last year in the Lund line of likely development if Eklund and zetterkund too along with thrun.

Obviously, the D is thin. The Offense is still thin, the rookies are big question marks and the goaltending remains unknown. The coach is a rookie head coach and much remains iffy. But, it’s not the same roster and not the same coach. It’s really, practically a whole new team.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yep!

I honestly don’t fully get why the general sense is that it’s impossible for team to make a playoff run. It’s unlikely of course but far from impossible…

When is the last time a team had 12 new players on the opening roster including two of the top 5 rookies in the league, one of the top rated rookie D, a 30 goal scoring forward, one of the top defensive/pk forwards, a 12 goal scoring Dman, two more prior cups winners….and of course, a new coach with a nice winning pedigree at every stop along the way.

And that’s on keeping the top three players from last year in the Lund line of likely development if Eklund and zetterkund too along with thrun.

Obviously, the D is thin. The Offense is still thin, the rookies are big question marks and the goaltending remains unknown. The coach is a rookie head coach and much remains iffy. But, it’s not the same roster and not the same coach. It’s really, practically a whole new team.

Honestly, the fact that it’s a whole new team generally works against them. Other than Lunds, it’s almost an entirely different group who has to learn an entirely new system and entirely new teammate habits.

That said, magical runs happen. Warsofsky feels like a coach that players really rise up for. Celebrini is a super exciting player who might not only excel but drive everyone around him to excel. I can see Smith and Celebrini having a friendly competition all year long and really pushing each other to get better. This team is also suddenly full of young star prospects with something to prove and vets who actually want to play here , the composition is entirely different than last year and I actually can see the chemistry really working. Do they take their underdog identity and make some magic? Maybe! Having a healthy Couture would go a LONG way too.

Ultimately, I think they won’t make the playoffs because that defense just is not good enough. But I think there’s an outside chance they get much closer than we think.

Either way, my GOD am I excited for the season. Not only are there so many new guys I genuinely want to watch on the ice, but having gotten Celebrini makes winning the lottery no longer as essential. The fact that I can cheer for the Sharks every game is such a relief.

I can’t wait for the season to start.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It was the OV line, Larionov,Makarov, Garpenlov along with Ozolinsh and Norton. They played as a 5 man unit and wouldn’t give the puck up for no reason. Add in Todd Elik, Jamie Baker and Bob Errey. Adding Arturs Irbe’s rise and we caught Detroit and Toronto off guard. We had very little reason to rise above but we did.
Much the same way St. Louis won the Stanley Cup. They were in last place exactly halfway through the season. Stranger things.
That first playoff run was a special one. I loved watching Larionov and Makarov pass the puck and control possession.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It isn’t really even debatable whether the top pick is more valuable than a good but not elite RHD that’s about to get paid $9 million a year for 8 years. As someone that talks about empty calorie production with other players (a point I agree with), curious why the obsession with Dobson when he still is pretty poor in his own end and is going to get paid for points when he’s not really a winning player to date.

Is a RHD a bigger need than Hagens? 100% for the Sharks. That doesn’t mean that you should leave an abundance of value on the table in the 1st overall pick in a 1 for 1 for a non-elite player. Someone is going to give more if 1st overall is on the table because center is important and also because the hype and buzz that comes with that pick (and the revenues).
The 1st overall pick is far from a guarantee of an elite player. Slafkovsky, Power, Lafreniere, Hischier, Ekblad, Yakupov, RNH...that's like half the guys drafted 1st overall in the past decade or so and they would all have been worth trading for a 25-year-old #1 defenseman.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The 1st overall pick is far from a guarantee of an elite player. Slafkovsky, Power, Lafreniere, Hischier, Ekblad, Yakupov, RNH...that's like half the guys drafted 1st overall in the past decade or so and they would all have been worth trading for a 25-year-old #1 defenseman.
Some of these are not like the rest. Yakupov feels like he should be on a separate list. Slaf was electric coming back from injury last year. Power is a dman and those take longer to develop. Laf had a great playoffs and was pretty good last year. Nico is still a selke caliber 1C. Ekblad is still a top pairing D. RNH just scored 100 points.

Never mind I read your whole post. OH WELL keeping it. Yeah I mean I don’t think I’d move Macklin for Dobson but I’d pretty easily move Smith. With that said Dobson is the Isles second most important player. There isn’t a chance he moves.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Some of these are not like the rest. Yakupov feels like he should be on a separate list. Slaf was electric coming back from injury last year. Power is a dman and those take longer to develop. Laf had a great playoffs and was pretty good last year. Nico is still a selke caliber 1C. Ekblad is still a top pairing D. RNH just scored 100 points.

Never mind I read your whole post. OH WELL keeping it. Yeah I mean I don’t think I’d move Macklin for Dobson but I’d pretty easily move Smith. With that said Dobson is the Isles second most important player. There isn’t a chance he moves.
It's too early to trade any top prospect or pick for an established NHLer 25 or older. We need to see what we have first and then we'll know organizational need going forward.

Now, if the year goes exceptionally well and we are in the PO hunt and the prospects at various levels also excel, then you can start looking at bigger deals that help the team now and going forward. With a plethora of prospects in Jrs, NCAA, Sweden, AHL, and NHL, the sharks are in a position to get big returns if many of those guys have good years and we have a glut of top end prospects. Also, when prospects have very strong D+1, D+2, and D+3 years, their value goes up as teams always value more known commodities that can help sooner rather than later over picks or younger prospects that are more unknown and much further out.

If the system from NHL down to juniors has a good collective year and the team looks on the verge of PO's going forward, then summer 2025 becomes the big transition point from win sometime in the future to building a winner now. In that case, trading a #1OA for a top end D like dobson makes more sense. But, trading a #1OA for dobson when you are miles and miles from contending anyways is just dumb. Its kinda like the EK Norris year on a team that had no chance at the POs. It's a waste and even if you get 3-4 years of great play from dobson, you still have no chance at the PO's. This year, we'll see what celly, smith, mukh, and thrun have to offer at the NHL level, and then we'll know how close we are to contending.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's too early to trade any top prospect or pick for an established NHLer 25 or older. We need to see what we have first and then we'll know organizational need going forward.

Now, if the year goes exceptionally well and we are in the PO hunt and the prospects at various levels also excel, then you can start looking at bigger deals that help the team now and going forward. With a plethora of prospects in Jrs, NCAA, Sweden, AHL, and NHL, the sharks are in a position to get big returns if many of those guys have good years and we have a glut of top end prospects. Also, when prospects have very strong D+1, D+2, and D+3 years, their value goes up as teams always value more known commodities that can help sooner rather than later over picks or younger prospects that are more unknown and much further out.

If the system from NHL down to juniors has a good collective year and the team looks on the verge of PO's going forward, then summer 2025 becomes the big transition point from win sometime in the future to building a winner now. In that case, trading a #1OA for a top end D like dobson makes more sense. But, trading a #1OA for dobson when you are miles and miles from contending anyways is just dumb. Its kinda like the EK Norris year on a team that had no chance at the POs. It's a waste and even if you get 3-4 years of great play from dobson, you still have no chance at the PO's. This year, we'll see what celly, smith, mukh, and thrun have to offer at the NHL level, and then we'll know how close we are to contending.
Personally I think Dobson is a 1D that is still an RFA. I’d trade anything that’s not Celebrini or Askarov for him. Number 1 RHD are much more difficult to get than really anything else we have other than those 2 guys.

I think overall I agree with your point. It would be too early in the rebuild for this type of move but similar to Askarov if a guy like Dobson is there you do it. Same with Bouchard and a few other RFA guys.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Personally I think Dobson is a 1D that is still an RFA. I’d trade anything that’s not Celebrini or Askarov for him. Number 1 RHD are much more difficult to get than really anything else we have other than those 2 guys.

I think overall I agree with your point. It would be too early in the rebuild for this type of move but similar to Askarov if a guy like Dobson is there you do it. Same with Bouchard and a few other RFA guys.
Maybe you acquire certain players no matter what the state of your franchise, but Im not sure...

Askarov came with a much lower price. Edstrom was no top prospect and the VGK 1st is no 1OA (and now it cant be with the conditions).

It's all moot though as the sharks do not have the #1 OA and Dobson is not on the trade market (neither is bouchard of course).

Lots can change in a year (see last summer to this one). We'll know by the deadline what we have at all levels, and behind the bench.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Maybe you acquire certain players no matter what the state of your franchise, but Im not sure...

Askarov came with a much lower price. Edstrom was no top prospect and the VGK 1st is no 1OA (and now it cant be with the conditions).

It's all moot though as the sharks do not have the #1 OA and Dobson is not on the trade market (neither is bouchard of course).

Lots can change in a year (see last summer to this one). We'll know by the deadline what we have at all levels, and behind the bench.
Yeah definitely I agree that neither guys are or will be on the market. But I think the price was lower for Askarov because he asked out and is not proven. I mean the guy has only played 3 games in the NHL. Jack Campbell (albeit had a bit worse stats in the AHL and was a bit more up and down) was considered a top goaltending prospect and the next big thing in goal at one point, look at how he turned out. Fucale, Blackwood, probably others I’m forgetting but all those guys were considered top goaltending prospects that didn’t work out. If a younger top pair (or ever top 4) D comes available I think you jump at it no matter where your team is at.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It doesn't have to be Dobson but we definitely need to acquire a legitimate top pairing RD as soon as possible. At this point, drafting and developing one will take too long.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It doesn't have to be Dobson but we definitely need to acquire a legitimate top pairing RD as soon as possible. At this point, drafting and developing one will take too long.
Hedman was drafted a year after Stamkos

Makar was drafted 4 years after MacKinnon

It is absolutely NOT too late to draft and develop our own homegrown #1D, especially given how high we'll likely pick for the next 2 years, we're not even close to being on the clock with Celebrini yet, he doesn't turn 19 years old until next June, this is overly alarmist

Dobson isn't too old for our window but D men in the 2025 and 2026 drafts also aren't too young for our window

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hedman was drafted a year after Stamkos

Makar was drafted 4 years after MacKinnon

It is absolutely NOT too late to draft and develop our own homegrown #1D, especially given how high we'll likely pick for the next 2 years, we're not even close to being on the clock with Celebrini yet, he doesn't turn 19 years old until next June, this is overly alarmist

Dobson isn't too old for our window but D men in the 2025 and 2026 drafts also aren't too young for our window
Banking on drafting a Hedman or Makar is a high-risk strategy. If it happens, great, but I don't feel comfortable staking our chances to win on such an unlikely scenario.

We can and should do both - acquire an established top pairing defenseman while also trying to draft and develop one. This is essentially what the Devils did by signing Dougie Hamilton around the same time they drafted Hughes/Nemec.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Banking on drafting a Hedman or Makar is a high-risk strategy. If it happens, great, but I don't feel comfortable staking our chances to win on such an unlikely scenario.

We can and should do both - acquire an established top pairing defenseman while also trying to draft and develop one. This is essentially what the Devils did by signing Dougie Hamilton around the same time they drafted Hughes/Nemec.
Bringing up the devils and there way of rebuilding is not the way to go.

Trading top prospects for another position this early is not how you become a winning franchise.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

I can get behind making aggressive acquisitions on the blue line, we NEED to bolster the back end more than any other part of the active roster if we're going to be back in the playoffs any time soon

I just can't get behind the idea that we'd be late on our team building curve if we tried to draft our cornerstone D in the next few drafts, we're still at the very beginning of the rebuild, it starts with Celebrini

You're right that you do need to get a little lucky to have a draft pick hit, but I'm fairly certain we're picking top-3 this year and top-5 next year, those are the picks you invest in those cornerstone pieces, and there is a strong recent track record of top-5 drafted D men being awesome, now is the time to invest that draft capital on that big swing and that player would round into form right about when we need them to in 5 or so years

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I can get behind making aggressive acquisitions on the blue line, we NEED to bolster the back end more than any other part of the active roster if we're going to be back in the playoffs any time soon

I just can't get behind the idea that we'd be late on our team building curve if we tried to draft our cornerstone D in the next few drafts, we're still at the very beginning of the rebuild, it starts with Celebrini

You're right that you do need to get a little lucky to have a draft pick hit, but I'm fairly certain we're picking top-3 this year and top-5 next year, those are the picks you invest in those cornerstone pieces, and there is a strong recent track record of top-5 drafted D men being awesome, now is the time to invest that draft capital on that big swing and that player would round into form right about when we need them to in 5 or so years
We need to get more than a little lucky to end up with a defense prospect like Makar who was one of the best defensemen in the world by his D+3 season. Unless that happens, we're probably looking at a ~5 year development period for a defenseman to go from prospect to top pair. At that point Celebrini will already be at least 24 and we would have wasted the opportunity to win on his ELC/Askarov's cheap extension.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
We need to get more than a little lucky to end up with a defense prospect like Makar who was one of the best defensemen in the world by his D+3 season. Unless that happens, we're probably looking at a ~5 year development period for a defenseman to go from prospect to top pair. At that point Celebrini will already be at least 24 and we would have wasted the opportunity to win on his ELC/Askarov's cheap extension.
I hate to break it to you, we're not winning on Celebrini's ELC, there is literally no path to a championship in the next 3 years with the assets in this organization, that's why extending him long term on July 1st 2026 at a reasonable cap hit is so important

We don't need the D man to be Cale Makar, few are, he's a generational talent, but we do need a legit #1D man to win and those players are almost always acquired through the draft by winning teams

Ekblad
Pietrangelo (THE notable exception)
Makar
Hedman x2
Pietrangelo (drafted this time, lol)
Carlson
Letang x2
Keith

Of the last 10 championship teams only a couple had questionable #1D men and only one of them didn't have their #1D acquired in the draft and I continue to stress that Vegas in not a replicatable team building model

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad