Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Th
To #sjsharks: Yaroslav Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 3rd Rd PickTo #preds: David Edstrom, VGK 2025 1st Rd Pick (Top 10 protected), Magnus Chrona.Edstrom was 32nd pick in 2023.Protection info: SJS will have the choice of either their pick or Vegas if in Top 10.
Thats a massive overpayment, that being said I can’t wait for the Hodge nuclear meltdown

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I would now really like to grab Kaedan Korczak from Vegas when he is waived. Would basically negate the loss of Emberson and give us a 23 year old big RHD that skates very well and would fill where I projected Emberson. Plus it hurts Vegas which is always a good thing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would now really like to grab Kaedan Korczak from Vegas when he is waived. Would basically negate the loss of Emberson and give us a 23 year old big RHD that skates very well and would fill where I projected Emberson. Plus it hurts Vegas which is always a good thing.
Do you think he will be? I thought he would basically be a lock for their roster given how much they need cheap talent.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Trades like this and hearing Askarov be excited to come here really quells a lot of anxiety i have about UFAs wanting to play here and players wanting to stay. Not to rag on a team when they're down, but comparing WPG having to deal with McGroaty forcing a way out and not giving a reason vs Smith and Celebrini signing ASAP is great.

If SJ is an attractive market with this young core I think we're in for an exciting next handful of years

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Do you think he will be? I thought he would basically be a lock for their roster given how much they need cheap talent.
Yeah, I'd be shocked if they moved on from him considering their top 2 RD are Petro who's 35 or so and Theodore who's probably gone after the season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So all in all, this mini Hertl trade tree is resulting in:

in:
EDM 2025 3rd, COL 2025 3rd, Ceci, Askarov, Burke

out:
SJ 2025 3rd, SJ 2027 3rd, Hertl (17% retention), Emberson

Not too bad. Still hurts though since Hertl's easily the best player in this but it's a good gamble for the future of the org.

Reactions: JBeast

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

in:

out:

Not too bad. Still hurts though since Hertl's easily the best player in this but it's a good gamble for the future of the org.
It all depends on how we use the cap savings, which was the biggest win from the Hertl trade.

Not that bold of a prediction but I think we're going to see another huge offseason from Grier next year.

Reactions: DG93

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
It all depends on how we use the cap savings, which was the biggest win from the Hertl trade.

Not that bold of a prediction but I think we're going to see another huge offseason from Grier next year.

Not to go all "we used Thornton's cap space to sign Chara and Savard" (even though Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau already had around the same cap hit).... but most of Hertl's $6.75M went to Tofolli. Veteran top 6 for veteran top 6 (32 year old F for ~30.5 year old F) four years. Course the benefit- aside from the risk of Hertl's knees- is moving him out helped the tank. He can come back on an Skinner type deal when Vegas buys him out!

To your broader point, there's a whole lot more caproom in each of the next few years. A lot of that will need to go to raises for Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund. However there's $25M coming off over the next three years (Vlasic, Couture, Jones, Karlsson, Burns, Goodrow) that won't be missed at all from last year's roster. Hopefully Couture makes a valiant recovery, and more importantly can have a great life after hockey. Wennberg, Granlund, Kunin, Ceci, Ferraro, Walman, and Koistin will need to be replaced but that represents another $25M up in two seasons.

I'd see if Eklund and Zetterlund (ideal 5/6th winger) will sign long-term deals that overpay now, but will provide surplus value once Celebrini and Smith are off their ELCs.

Reactions: Baysick

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not to go all "we used Thornton's cap space to sign Chara and Savard" (even though Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau already had around the same cap hit).... but most of Hertl's $6.75M went to Tofolli. Veteran top 6 for veteran top 6 (32 year old F for ~30.5 year old F) four years. Course the benefit- aside from the risk of Hertl's knees- is moving him out helped the tank. He can come back on an Skinner type deal when Vegas buys him out!

To your broader point, there's a whole lot more caproom in each of the next few years. A lot of that will need to go to raises for Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund. However there's $25M coming off over the next three years (Vlasic, Couture, Jones, Karlsson, Burns, Goodrow) that won't be missed at all from last year's roster. Hopefully Couture makes a valiant recovery, and more importantly can have a great life after hockey. Wennberg, Granlund, Kunin, Ceci, Ferraro, Walman, and Koistin will need to be replaced but that represents another $25M up in two seasons.

I'd see if Eklund and Zetterlund (ideal 5/6th winger) will sign long-term deals that overpay now, but will provide surplus value once Celebrini and Smith are off their ELCs.
Even looking at it that way, Hertl for Toffoli and Askarov (plus $6.75m in cap space from 2028-30) is a pretty big win for the Sharks. You could easily argue Toffoli is the more impactful player.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Mike grier hf user confirmed

Confirmed Hodge?

Y'all been badmouthing my GM

1724461541423.png

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA

in:

out:

Since Ceci will probably be moved - I'll say a 3rd is the minimum there - and the cap space from Hertl was freed for Toffoli, may end up looking like this when next offseason comes around:

In: 3x 3rds in 2025, Askarov, Toffoli

Out: 3rd in 2025, 3rd in 2027, Hertl, Emberson

In a vacuum I think that comes out pretty decent.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't really see where they put him. Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Theodore, McNabb, Whitecloud, and Hague are pretty much locks for their top 6 on D. Then they signed Ben Hutton to a 2 year extension as a guy that can play both sides and won't be hurt by sitting in the press box until an injury occurs.

So unless an injury happens to one of those guys during camp, I think Korczak is going to pass through waivers and should be someone that we're salivating over using our top waiver priority to grab.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't really see where they put him. Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Theodore, McNabb, Whitecloud, and Hague are pretty much locks for their top 6 on D. Then they signed Ben Hutton to a 2 year extension as a guy that can play both sides and won't be hurt by sitting in the press box until an injury occurs.

So unless an injury happens to one of those guys during camp, I think Korczak is going to pass through waivers and should be someone that we're salivating over using our top waiver priority to grab.
You're right, it's weird. I'm honestly surprised they haven't traded anyone yet, although I guess Lehner is going to go on LTIR. Their defense is crowded for sure.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yea its hard to say if Askarov was available in the past because they believed he wasn't progressing as much as they would like or if they would rather just move his value into another position.

You could see the Wedgewood signing both as a signal they thought Askarov wasn't ready to be a backup or that they were just doing cap management as well and delaying paying Askarov.

I still think Askarov screwed up making a big stink this year. IMHO he should have just signed an offer sheet next summer that someone would offer based on potential and either force Nashville to pay him or move on.
That is where I am coming out. Nashville is in win-now mode and don’t want to rely on Askarov as their backup for 2024/2025. Beyond that, I think any other claims become a whole other level of speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad