Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
But he wasn't trying to move him at this year's draft.
We don't really know that. We do know that this year they signed a backup to a two year, non waiver exempt contract which forces Askarov to make the big club at his expense or be stuck in the AHL for two more years. They have legendary goalie coach Mitch Korn and they have two years of public and private evaluation of Askarov. They've been actively trying to move him or actively not prioritizing his growth.

As I said before and as Jux just said, it's probably a combination of a Trotz problem and an Askarov problem and a Trotz-on-Askarov problem but there are enough Red flags and we're far enough away from contending that I don't think we should give up a lot of assets here. This could be a Kipper outcome or it could be a Jones outcome. Large range of outcomes and downside risk. I certainly wouldn't want to lose VGK's unprotected 1st, as that player could very possibly be a similar goalie prospect or a shot at a middle pairing D that we desperately need, probably more than goalie.

Reactions: vortexy

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
We don't really know that. We do know that this year they signed a backup to a two year, non waiver exempt contract which forces Askarov to make the big club at his expense or be stuck in the AHL for two more years. They have legendary goalie coach Mitch Korn and they have two years of public and private evaluation of Askarov. They've been actively trying to move him or actively not prioritizing his growth.

As I said before and as Jux just said, it's probably a combination of a Trotz problem and an Askarov problem and a Trotz-on-Askarov problem but there are enough Red flags and we're far enough away from contending that I don't think we should give up a lot of assets here. This could be a Kipper outcome or it could be a Jones outcome. Large range of outcomes and downside risk. I certainly wouldn't want to lose VGK's unprotected 1st, as that player could very possibly be a similar goalie prospect or a shot at a middle pairing D that we desperately need, probably more than goalie.

Yes we do. Look at my edit.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just because Trotz says it doesn't mean it's true. When was the last time a GM said "yes, I'm attempting to trade my player" unless said player had requested a trade?

I believe the rumors more, which were flying about Trotz trying to get a top-7 pick again and that Askarov was his best trade piece he was offering to do so.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Just because Trotz says it doesn't mean it's true. When was the last time a GM said "yes, I'm attempting to trade my player" unless said player had requested a trade?

I believe the rumors more, which were flying about Trotz trying to get a top-7 pick again and that Askarov was his best trade piece he was offering to do so.

I don't doubt he had interest in 2023 but that draft was held in higher regards than 2024 (which I never saw a rumor for. Do you have a link for it?) for it's center depth at the top as you know. And again Trotz has Korn who has shown he can develop any goalie. If he can take his biggest asset to grab his biggest need of course he is going to look into it.

You won't find me arguing Askarov is a more valuable prospect than Smith.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
How would you guys feel if Nashville wanted Zetterlund as part of the Askarov deal? I know lots of people think Musty is the target but what if they want Zetterlund, a player who can help Nashville immediately on a cheap contract going to RFA this year. I personally would offer Zetterlund for Askarov ASAP as I feel the amount of ice time and PP time he got playing here inflated his stats. Not one for one as I doubt Nashville does this but maybe Zetterlund+3rd round pick or Bordelau/Guschin?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
How would you guys feel if Nashville wanted Zetterlund as part of the Askarov deal? I know lots of people think Musty is the target but what if they want Zetterlund, a player who can help Nashville immediately on a cheap contract going to RFA this year. I personally would offer Zetterlund for Askarov ASAP as I feel the amount of ice time and PP time he got playing here inflated his stats. Not one for one as I doubt Nashville does this but maybe Zetterlund+3rd round pick or Bordelau/Guschin?

Trotz has told anyone that would listen that he would like more center prospects in their system. I would wager he would value Bystedt/Edstrom as the same if not more than Musty.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Askarov has now officially asked for a trade, But Trotz has been trying to move Askarov since June 2023.
In my opinion (not fact), Trotz always planned to go to win-now mode, wanted to dangle Askarov to move up for a piece that may be quicker to help the big club while also knowing Saros was always going to be his guy. Regardless, it seems like it was always. a case where Trotz never saw Askarov as helpful for the short term.

At this stage, we don't even have a similar stockpile of top tier forwards that those teams have so it doesn't make much sense to worry about. Moving forward, our biggest concern isn't goaltending. It's the blue line and team defense. Until we have a legitimate anchor for the blue line, this team isn't going anywhere.
While obviously nothing is set in stone in terms of performance in the NHL, if they come close to expectations what we have stockpiled is better than what Toronto has up front. Toronto doesn't have much of a blue line either. Outside of Reilly and Tanev it's a steep decline (I'm not much of a believer in Jake McCabe or even Lilijgren).

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Yea its hard to say if Askarov was available in the past because they believed he wasn't progressing as much as they would like or if they would rather just move his value into another position.

You could see the Wedgewood signing both as a signal they thought Askarov wasn't ready to be a backup or that they were just doing cap management as well and delaying paying Askarov.

I still think Askarov screwed up making a big stink this year. IMHO he should have just signed an offer sheet next summer that someone would offer based on potential and either force Nashville to pay him or move on.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While obviously nothing is set in stone in terms of performance in the NHL, if they come close to expectations what we have stockpiled is better than what Toronto has up front. Toronto doesn't have much of a blue line either. Outside of Reilly and Tanev it's a steep decline (I'm not much of a believer in Jake McCabe or even Lilijgren).
I hope we do end up with a better stockpile of forwards. I just want the team to focus on getting more talented on the blue line before they put that much concern into the net.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Yes we do. Look at my edit.

I read that quote as "it does not look like anyone is offering what we want for Askarov, so no deal at the draft" rather than "we have no interest in trading Askarov." At that point, Nashville had not signed either Saros to his extension nor Wedgwood as a UFA. Now Trotz may have had a good idea that he could close both deals when he said those quotes, but he may have wanted to hold onto Askarov until they were closed.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I hope we do end up with a better stockpile of forwards. I just want the team to focus on getting more talented on the blue line before they put that much concern into the net.
I agree. We both seem to acknowledge that there's a good group of forward prospects where we shouldn't be focusing on it for now.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
As long as its not Eklund. Musty would be unfortunate, but fine. Neither those or the top two and its a win regardless.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know...seems like Nabokov liked this guy and the Sharks are not assessing him properly. Very suspicious as to why Nashville didn't want to keep him.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
To #sjsharks: Yaroslav Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 3rd Rd PickTo #preds: David Edstrom, VGK 2025 1st Rd Pick (Top 10 protected), Magnus Chrona.Edstrom was 32nd pick in 2023.Protection info: SJS will have the choice of either their pick or Vegas if in Top 10.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad