Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Good 3Cs have a lot of value, particularly if they can be shutdown 3Cs. I was hopeful Edstrom could be a guy who along with Celebrini would eat hard minutes freeing Smith to feast on 3/4 lines. Ideally a Hanzal type. Having someone like Edstrom might be the difference of over drafting a guy like Luchanko because you want a 2/3C who’s a nightmare to play against.

He’s a valuable piece, but with 1 and 2C likely locked down for the next 15 years, I prefer to move him than Musty, Chernyshov, or Bystedt (better offensive skills gives hope for 2W). Decent chance Edstrom ends up playing more NHL games than those three, particularly the latter two.

Cam Lund would be a throw in.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Good 3Cs have a lot of value, particularly if they can be shutdown 3Cs. I was hopeful Edstrom could be a guy who along with Celebrini would eat hard minutes freeing Smith to feast on 3/4 lines. Ideally a Hanzal type. Having someone like Edstrom might be the difference of over drafting a guy like Luchanko because you want a 2/3C who’s a nightmare to play against.

He’s a valuable piece, but with 1 and 2C likely locked down for the next 15 years, I prefer to move him than Musty, Chernyshov, or Bystedt (better offensive skills gives hope for 2W). Decent chance Edstrom ends up playing more NHL games than those three, particularly the latter two.

Cam Lund would be a throw in.
What are the odds Edstrom turns into a good 3C at this time? 30%? Maybe 40% he's a fourth line option in the vein of Sturm, and another 30% he can't hack it in the NHL even a little?

He may not be a "throw in," but we should remember that we traded a guy whose realistic ceiling is a useful depth piece, at a position our prospect pool remains strong in (and will continue to add to over the next few years), for a guy with a much, much higher potential ceiling (even if the odds that he reaches that ceiling may be lower) at a position we had poor depth in, plus a mystery box likely to produce nothing more than another depth piece.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

One that took a bunch of scout reports and did cliff notes of that. One that says he could be a top 6 C and one that says he can be a good bottom 6 C (which basically means good 3C OR middle sixer).

But no continue with your story. This board is insane.

Either way, that’s not a throw in.
How does "bottom 6 C" in your mind mean "Good 3C or middle sixer"
The definition of bottom 6 is, 3rd or 4th line player.

Dobber is the best when it comes to reliable info. He calls him bottom 6

The first article is a Golden knights pumping their own tires article to hype their pick, not an unbiased scouting source.

The 2nd hockeywriters article is a good site. But they did not say top 6. They said he will have top 6 potential if he makes a huge improvement leap on his scoring which is admittedly not great, but the more likely scenario is middle 6 in a checking line two way role. That's code for 3C who doesn't have the offensive chops to be 2C.

I agree with this assessment but he wasn't a throw in.

Trotz definitely wanted a center prospect in any deal. He values them a lot more than other types.
if the words "Throw in" are what's off. I just meant, we have 3-4 centers in the system better than him and he's expendable to be an extra in a trade. He's not a blue chipper

He's a complimentary piece, and we have several of those in the system. including a better 3C prospect named Bystedt who already had a good AHL debut.

Reactions: Chairman Mallard

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

The first article is a Golden knights pumping their own tires article to hype their pick, not an unbiased scouting source.

The 2nd hockeywriters article is a good site. But they did not say top 6. They said he will have top 6 potential if he makes a huge improvement leap on his scoring which is admittedly not great, but the more likely scenario is middle 6 in a checking line two way role. That's code for 3C who doesn't have the offensive chops to be 2C.

if the words "Throw in" are what's off. I just meant, we have 3-4 centers in the system better than him and he's expendable to be an extra in a trade. He's not a blue chipper

He's a complimentary piece, and we have several of those in the system. including a better 3C prospect named Bystedt who already had a good AHL debut.

I get what you are saying now. Edstrom was a "throw away" type prospect for the Sharks since they have at least 3 center prospects over him and you aren't wrong.

How many of us breathed a sigh of relief when we saw Edstrom 's name over one like Musty. Not to say Edstrom is bad but he was the most easily digestible prospect to give up of our top 10.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Going to mostly respond to this part. Fine. That’s so much different than Throw In. Same way Askarov actually became available. Preds had better players blocking his path. Fine that’s a much different claim than “Edstrom is a throw in” I also disagree about Bystedt being a better prospect but whatever.

Reactions: Grinner

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
What are the odds Edstrom turns into a good 3C at this time? 30%? Maybe 40% he's a fourth line option in the vein of Sturm, and another 30% he can't hack it in the NHL even a little?

He may not be a "throw in," but we should remember that we traded a guy whose realistic ceiling is a useful depth piece, at a position our prospect pool remains strong in (and will continue to add to over the next few years), for a guy with a much, much higher potential ceiling (even if the odds that he reaches that ceiling may be lower) at a position we had poor depth in, plus a mystery box likely to produce nothing more than another depth piece.

Are we talking about Josh Norris now?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Wasn't sure where to put this question but I've been reading the main thread about predicting the Pacific Division standings, and I was wondering with this roster, is it wrong to expect (or at least hope) that the Sharks won't be a last place team in the division? I think they are going to be somewhat improved and the trades and pick ups they have made this season (Like Walman and Taffoli) will help more than hurt. I know this season is all about watching Celebrini and Smith develop, but after going through last year, I expect them to be much improved and at least competing each night.

Also, I listened to the NHL Network Sharks preview today and even Boomer and Jake were saying that this team is heading in the right direction and they wish they were Sharks fans. Maybe I am hoping for too much, but should i be easing my expectations or excitement for this season. Why not finish better than last in the division?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Wasn't sure where to put this question but I've been reading the main thread about predicting the Pacific Division standings, and I was wondering with this roster, is it wrong to expect (or at least hope) that the Sharks won't be a last place team in the division? I think they are going to be somewhat improved and the trades and pick ups they have made this season (Like Walman and Taffoli) will help more than hurt. I know this season is all about watching Celebrini and Smith develop, but after going through last year, I expect them to be much improved and at least competing each night.

Also, I listened to the NHL Network Sharks preview today and even Boomer and Jake were saying that this team is heading in the right direction and they wish they were Sharks fans. Maybe I am hoping for too much, but should i be easing my expectations or excitement for this season. Why not finish better than last in the division?
I don't think that's wrong at all. People are seriously underrating or flat out ignoring just how horrendous players like Hoffman, Barabanov, Labanc, Zadina, Burroughs, Okhotiuk and Addison were for us last year. We have effectively replaced those scrubs with Toffoli, Wennberg, Celebrini, Smith, Ceci, Walman and Benning. It's a massive upgrade.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

I expect them to be much improved, but that it won't always show up as wins

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I did say at least competing. I don't think they are going to be pushovers like they were one most nights last year. Also, being a more competitive team will eek out a few more wins.
I expect them to have more wins than last year, but I also expect them to be comfortably top 3 in the lottery. What I hope to see is that they are winning more often at the end of the year.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

We should be far better. Only significant loss from last year's roster is Hertl and Tofolli closes that gap. Outside that, and a likely drop off from Granlund, we'll have improved nearly every spot on the roster. Hopefully the team can stay relatively healthy. I think it's possible. Anaheim and Calgary will be bad.

Coming not last, will rely on other teams as well. A good measure of improvement will be goal differential. I'd like to see us go from -150 to -75 or so. Anaheim (-91) and Chicago (-111) were the only other teams worst than -75 last year. Columbus (-63) and Montreal (-53). Maybe hit 225 goals for 299 against for a -74?

Wouldn't be surprised if Columbus gets crushed because their division is so good. Aside from that, I think they're better than SJ, Anaheim, Chicago, and Calgary, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up last.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
We should be far better. Only significant loss from last year's roster is Hertl and Tofolli closes that gap. Outside that, and a likely drop off from Granlund, we'll have improved nearly every spot on the roster. Hopefully the team can stay relatively healthy. I think it's possible. Anaheim and Calgary will be bad.

Coming not last, will rely on other teams as well. A good measure of improvement will be goal differential. I'd like to see us go from -150 to -75 or so. Anaheim (-91) and Chicago (-111) were the only other teams worst than -75 last year. Columbus (-63) and Montreal (-53). Maybe hit 225 goals for 299 against for a -74?

Wouldn't be surprised if Columbus gets crushed because their division is so good. Aside from that, I think they're better than SJ, Anaheim, Chicago, and Calgary, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up last.
I’ll reiterate your point that they are better in nearly every position. I can’t and won’t overlook that. If these guys play to their potential, I can see them making a big improvement.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I'm still waiting for GMMG to pull a DW and follow this up with a 3rd-rounder-they-just-got-for-a-pylon trade to finish the combo

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
So, anyone think there are any more moves coming? Or are we completely done until camp?
Only other move I could imagine happening would be adding another defenseman, but it would require a bunch of you agreeing on what the next move should be to will it into being

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I guarantee that Edstrom was not a throw in. Trotz covets all center prospects.
Not to mention he was a fairly recent (low) 1st round pick, and that sort of pedigree tends to represent moderate value in trades. Center is also a position of weakness in the Pred’s prospect pool, so there is value just based on positional need.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It’s possible for them to not be worst in the division. Anaheim and Calgary aren’t looking great either but the Sharks still have an atrocious blue line that’s going to hold them back consistently. They’ll look a lot more like a growing team with more young players up front though which will be exciting but probably not enough to overcome the lack of quality puck movers on defense.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They’ll be losing back to back 6-4 games instead of 10-1,10-2
Took the words right out of my mouth

I expect the 2025 Sharks to be worlds better than the 2024 Sharks

I still expect them to be in the conversation for dead last in the standings

Last year was truly a historically bad team, it was probably one of the 20 or so worst seasons any team has ever had in the history of the NHL, we're gonna take a big step forward this year and it's going to be reflected in the on ice product but we may not see a substantive jump in the standings

I would be THRILLED if we were outside of the bottom 10 next year, I think we're comfortably in the bottom 5, and I still think we have the worst roster in the league barring a huge rookie season from one of our centers where they look like a future hall-of-famer out the gate, the D core just isn't there for this team to be truly competitive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad