Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
We don’t need more bottom pairing defensemen. I’m pretty locked-in to a bottom pairing of Ferraro and Emberson, assuming Ferraro doesn’t get traded and Emberson can stay healthy.

You think we're acquiring three top 4 d-men+ adding Muk? Or do you have Benning/Ruuta in the top 4?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have Benning in the top-4.

New D-New D
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Ferraro-Emberson
Thrun
What 2 D are you targeting for that top pair?

Me personally I’m hoping we add Chatfield and then roll a Ferraro-Chatfield top pair, that second pair, and Thrun-Emberson bottom pair

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What 2 D are you targeting for that top pair?

Me personally I’m hoping we add Chatfield and then roll a Ferraro-Chatfield top pair, that second pair, and Thrun-Emberson bottom pair
Mentioned earlier in this thread, this is the list of UFA I’m intrigued by: Skjei, Chatfield, DeMelo, Roy, Kylington, Carrier, Dillon, Montour, Walker.

I would love to grab both Skjei and Chatfield.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Mentioned earlier in this thread, this is the list of UFA I’m intrigued by: Skjei, Chatfield, DeMelo, Roy, Kylington, Carrier, Dillon, Montour, Walker.

Weirdly enough feels like there’s ton of good (relatively speaking) RHD but not many LHD. Only three on that list and one being Kylington who didn’t play for 2 years.

A few cap dump type guys I’d add to that list: Girard, Whitecloud, Middleton, Trouba, Schmidt

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weirdly enough feels like there’s ton of good (relatively speaking) RHD but not many LHD. Only three on that list and one being Kylington who didn’t play for 2 years.

A few cap dump type guys I’d add to that list: Girard, Whitecloud, Middleton, Trouba, Schmidt
Schmidt could be an interesting cap dump. Just one year left.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013

Do you see Roy as a #2 on cup contender? He’d be my number 1 target if the Sharks want to try and compete before Smith and Celebrini’s elcs are up, but I’m hesitant to give term to a defensive first guy.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do you see Roy as a #2 on cup contender? He’d be my number 1 target if the Sharks want to try and compete before Smith and Celebrini’s elcs are up, but I’m hesitant to give term to a defensive first guy.
I think he’s the best defenseman on that list, which is why I don’t have much hope that the Sharks could land him.

None of the defensemen on that list are guys I’d want to give any kind of term to.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The rule of thumb for young defensemen:

When they are first starting off, there are three key things:

1) Play them on their natural side
2) Play them with a good partner
3) Play them in easy minutes

If you have Mukhamadullin on the 2nd pairing with Benning as a partner, you're only hitting one of the two (maybe 1.5 if you squint). Is Mukhamadullin such a talent that he can overcome that?

I say this because while I agree that the Sharks should acquire two new defensemen, they should put them on separate pairings. Something like this:

Ferraro - New D
New D - Emberson
Mukhamadullin/Thrun - Benning

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I still really think we should go all in on trying to land Necas. We have the cap space to pay him what he wants and all the ice time and opportunity he could ask for. IMO he has superstar potential. This could be like our version of the JT Miller trade. Vancouver f***ed up a lot of other transactions before and after that but it was undeniably a golden move that continues to pay dividends for them.

Canes fans on the main board seemed to react positively to my 14+Ferraro+Bystedt proposal.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I still really think we should go all in on trying to land Necas. We have the cap space to pay him what he wants and all the ice time and opportunity he could ask for. IMO he has superstar potential. This could be like our version of the JT Miller trade. Vancouver f***ed up a lot of other transactions before and after that but it was undeniably a golden move that continues to pay dividends for them.

Canes fans on the main board seemed to react positively to my 14+Ferraro+Bystedt proposal.
It's very intriguing but for the price tag of the actual contract... sounds like people think it's going to be a max term deal. I just don't think we're in a place to commit to that kind of term. There will be other big fish to try to catch in the next 1-2 years and I'm not confident enough in this RW to make him that big a piece of the rebuild. It also sounds like his cost is getting bid up quickly.

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's very intriguing but for the price tag of the actual contract... sounds like people think it's going to be a max term deal. I just don't think we're in a place to commit to that kind of term. There will be other big fish to try to catch in the next 1-2 years and I'm not confident enough in this RW to make him that big a piece of the rebuild. It also sounds like his cost is getting bid up quickly.
That AFP Analytics site projects it as 7.5Mx7. With the cap going up I think that has a chance of being a steal. I would even try to offer him more money in exchange for cutting his no trade list down to like 10 teams. That way we can still get out of the back half of the contract if absolutely ncessary.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
That AFP Analytics site projects it as 7.5Mx7. With the cap going up I think that has a chance of being a steal. I would even try to offer him more money in exchange for cutting his no trade list down to like 10 teams. That way we can still get out of the back half of the contract if absolutely ncessary.
Cool. If we land him, I'll get on board, but it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a bidding war.

Reactions: themelkman

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

I’m sorry but the best I can do is 33 + Ferraro + Ozzy

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don’t think we have what it takes to land Necas and I’m not interested in trading anyone like Eklund, etc., for him. I really like the player but I don’t think it’s currently a match (and there’s been zero rumors to suggest we’re interested).

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008

That's way too much to give up in hopes he takes the next step which is why canes fans are reacting positively. 2 first and a top 4 dman is what you pay for a proven star. I would not be happy with this trade at all

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The only reason to make a move for an established player like Necas is if you are confident he is going to be a play-driving 1st liner, like Panarin was for the Rangers when they brought him in "too early".

I haven't seen that from Necas yet. That's not to say he won't be that player, perhaps in a looser and more creative system than Carolina's, but it's a big risk to take (assuming the cost is high) if you aren't downright certain on the player.

Reactions: landshark

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Thats a very different package than what we can offer. They probably want similar young players to compete, not prospects and picks
This. I don't see the deal getting done without including Eklund to step in and take Teuvo's spot for markedly cheaper. I don't see a fit between the two teams based on what they need/want and what we have to offer (and what we should offer at this point of the rebuild).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What type of player is Mukhamadullin projected to be like? I'm curious what type of comparisons there are out there... I've read a wide range of comparisons from Sanheim to Zadorov to Doughty...

What do u guys think?

Does he have potential to put up decent points?

Can he run the PP?

More of a shut down/physical type player?

He's always intrigued me as a prospect from what I read but I haven't ever seen him play

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What type of player is Mukhamadullin projected to be like? I'm curious what type of comparisons there are out there... I've read a wide range of comparisons from Sanheim to Zadorov to Doughty...

What do u guys think?

Does he have potential to put up decent points?

Can he run the PP?

More of a shut down/physical type player?

He's always intrigued me as a prospect from what I read but I haven't ever seen him play
Bobby Orr with a little Chris Pronger sprinkled in.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Check out this Podcast: The Latest with Elliotte Friedman: Who Will Be the Last Man Standing From the 2003 Draft + What’s Next For Necas? The Latest With Elliotte Friedman: Who Will Be The Last Man Standing From The 2003 Draft + What’s Next For Necas? The Jeff Marek Show podcast

Friedman speculates that Ginsel might be a good addition for Sharks.
(And thinks Burns will be the last guy playing from 2003 draft.)
Thanks for sharing, LS!

I just listened to the spot. It was Jeff Marek that thinks Guentzel would be a good fit with the Sharks in FA. Friedman initially brought up Guentzel, speculating Chicago as a fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad