Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It just feels like the forwards are more than set. There's just an abundance of depth at this point; if Grier could do it over again I don't know if he signs Grundstrom and claims Goodrow.

If there's a legitimate top-6 talent out there, the Sharks should go for it, but Pacioretty would be just another tweener.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
We should undercut the market and offer to take Ceci for a 3rd then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline. Two picks for free.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Cody Ceci would be our best RHD right now, I don't see the risk in taking him on to add an attached asset, especially on a flippable cap hit with an expiring contract, he'd be a smart add

Reactions: coooldude

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cody Ceci would be our best RHD right now, I don't see the risk in taking him on to add an attached asset, especially on a flippable cap hit with an expiring contract, he'd be a smart add
He may be the best RHD but that's not a high bar to clear. I don't see risk in taking him either but I'm of the belief that we'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him at the deadline. Our blue line even with Ceci then being the top RHD is still God awful and will not do wonders for his trade value at that time. Maximize the asset you get for taking him but don't expect a return at the deadline on top of it because it may not come.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know. With a healthy Benning and Emberson improving, Ceci and Rutta could be fighting for #3

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Based on what D went for at the last trade deadline?

Johnson got a 4th, Dumba got a 5th, Miller got a 4th, Walker got a 1st but came with a cap dump. Gosh, even McDonagh had to be packaged with a 4th just to get a 2nd.

What do you base your hope for Ceci returning more than these guys on?
Johnson and Miller were averaging under 16 minutes a night prior to their trades. 3rd pairing RD return 4th round picks. Ceci is worth more than that.

Lyubushkin and Edmundson each returned a 3rd rounder+ and that's what I would expect for Ceci.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Johnson and Miller were averaging under 16 minutes a night prior to their trades. 3rd pairing RD return 4th round picks. Ceci is worth more than that.

Lyubushkin and Edmundson each returned a 3rd rounder+ and that's what I would expect for Ceci.
If they have to attach an asset to get rid of him then clearly he isn't, right?

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
If they have to attach an asset to get rid of him then clearly he isn't, right?
The only reason Edmonton has to attach an asset to him is because other teams know Edmonton is desperate to create cap space.

I personally think Edmonton should let Holloway walk and trade Kulak and keep Broberg as a 3rd pair LD. Trading Ceci doesn’t fix their issue of needing a top 4 RD. Half the league need a top 4 RD.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
He may be the best RHD but that's not a high bar to clear. I don't see risk in taking him either but I'm of the belief that we'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him at the deadline. Our blue line even with Ceci then being the top RHD is still God awful and will not do wonders for his trade value at that time. Maximize the asset you get for taking him but don't expect a return at the deadline on top of it because it may not come.
I'll still take a marginal improvement and a sweetener considering there would be no damage to our salary structure

Ceci might legitimately be our best option as the 1PP D, our backend is so thin we shouldn't be scoffing at an NHL caliber dman just because he isn't particularly good, we need someone that can throw an outlet pass to Smith and Celebrini and he would be a better option than anyone currently on the roster

I don't know. With a healthy Benning and Emberson improving, Ceci and Rutta could be fighting for #3
Emberson is still a wildcard because he's played so few games, though he was shockingly adequate in his limited appearances, so maybe Ceci is behind him on the depth chart

But Benning? I think he's terrible, at least Ceci can pass, Benning can't do anything

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Am I supposed to be impressed that the guy has barely eclipsed 200 games at 28 years old? He's not an established NHLer. Nobody knows what he is, hence the Red Wings being forced to attach a 2nd just to get rid of him.

Ceci is big, right handed and can play 20 minutes a night without getting killed. I'm not at all convinced the Oilers will need to attach any sort of sweetener to move Ceci. Especially since he only has 1 year remaining. They might even be able to trade him for value.

If Mike Grier refuses to improve the Sharks due to a personal vendetta against another GM he should be fired.
If Hodge refuses to cheer for his own team due to a personal vendetta against another GM, he should go too. :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, I'm with you on the Ceci acquisition if we get a 2nd.

• Love
Reactions: Shark Finn

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'll still take a marginal improvement and a sweetener considering there would be no damage to our salary structure

Ceci might legitimately be our best option as the 1PP D, our backend is so thin we shouldn't be scoffing at an NHL caliber dman just because he isn't particularly good, we need someone that can throw an outlet pass to Smith and Celebrini and he would be a better option than anyone currently on the roster
I wouldn't take Ceci attached with a 3rd round pick or less as that's pretty worthless and I don't expect better for him at the deadline either especially after playing part of a season here where it's going to be bad still at this stage. Yeah you still aren't doing damage to the salary structure and he's a marginal improvement but you're not missing out on anything by passing on that either.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
But then by your standard, Ceci has negative value. How do you expect a negative value player to get anything at the deadline?
His value depends on who else is available at the deadline. If Seattle is in a playoff spot and it’s Ceci vs. washed up David Savard as the top rental RD we should be able to get a 2nd+ based on previous deadline deals. If Seattle sells Larsson and the Islanders decide to move Dobson at the deadline, maybe Ceci only fetches a 3rd or 4th. Either way, it’s worth holding that lottery ticket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad