Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Your whole schtick was "Walman was treated as a cap dump, ergo he is horrible". I'm asking you if you'll use the same logic when Ceci is treated as a cap dump. Got my answer.

Walman has 200+ NHL games. He's very clearly an NHLer. Ceci has gotten chance after chance because he's a righty and was a high draft pick, not because he's actually any good.

Maybe he's as good as the rest of our RD. My point is why acquire someone expensive who is objectively terrible when that player is a potentially maybe marginal-at-best improvement on what we have unless we're getting an asset to do so. I don't care for itty bitty upgrades when we have the chance to actually screw another team. And I'm especially not interested in doing Stan Bowman a favor.
Ceci is not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. He is not great but he is serviceable. I watched way too many oilers games this year and I changed my mind about him. Again, not great, but not that bad. And yes I agree that playing on a good team helped make him look better, but he still objectively played better last year. Rising tide and all that
Are you ready for a long lecture on Slavic politics and culture? :)
I found this reddit post about Mandela Effects and the OP mentions our Vlasic. Reading the comments, other posters keep talking about ME, which i intuited to be Marc-Edouard and not the more obvious "Mandela Effect" lol.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Are you ready for a long lecture on Slavic politics and culture? :)
I believe its usually spelled "Vlašić" in the Balkans.

I'm someone whose family name was similarly altered due to the English alphabet's lacking of carons.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I believe its usually spelled "Vlašić" in the Balkans.

I'm someone whose family name was similarly altered due to the English alphabet's lacking of carons.
Pronounced with a "ch" sound on the end? I feel like that's what I'm remembering from my European football watching.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Pronounced with a "ch" sound on the end? I feel like that's what I'm remembering from my European football watching.
If Serbo-Croatian pronunciation is anything like Slovenian (which I do not speak, but briefly dabbled in about twenty years ago), I would have pronounced it "Vlah-shik."

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I believe that from the horse's mouth it used to be "vlah-sseech".

Anti-anglicanization is a thing, especially in the second world...

Reactions: Shark Finn

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Am I supposed to be impressed that the guy has barely eclipsed 200 games at 28 years old? He's not an established NHLer. Nobody knows what he is, hence the Red Wings being forced to attach a 2nd just to get rid of him.

Ceci is big, right handed and can play 20 minutes a night without getting killed. I'm not at all convinced the Oilers will need to attach any sort of sweetener to move Ceci. Especially since he only has 1 year remaining. They might even be able to trade him for value.

If Mike Grier refuses to improve the Sharks due to a personal vendetta against another GM he should be fired.
A guy who has played 200 NHL games is an established NHLer.

Per Sheng's most recent article, the Oilers have been trying to find a suitor for Ceci or Kulak all summer and no one is biting. I'll most certainly take the bet that if Ceci is traded, he comes with an asset.
Ceci is not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. He is not great but he is serviceable. I watched way too many oilers games this year and I changed my mind about him. Again, not great, but not that bad. And yes I agree that playing on a good team helped make him look better, but he still objectively played better last year. Rising tide and all that.
Betting on a 30 year old to repeat a career season on an elite hockey team instead of regressing to what he has always been is definitely a good and smart thing to do.

No shade, but if you're betting on Ceci to be what he was last year with the Oilers this year on the Sharks, I just can't agree with you.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Per Sheng's most recent article, the Oilers have been trying to find a suitor for Ceci or Kulak all summer and no one is biting. I'll most certainly take the bet that if Ceci is traded, he comes with an asset.

Betting on a 30 year old to repeat a career season on an elite hockey team instead of regressing to what he has always been is definitely a good and smart thing to do.

No shade, but if you're betting on Ceci to be what he was last year with the Oilers this year on the Sharks, I just can't agree with you.
Oh, no haha to be clear I don't want him or wouldn't bet on him either.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

And Elliotte Friedman just said on his podcast today that if the Oilers actually wanted to trade Ceci at any point this summer they had options to do so.

Ceci is more important to their chances of winning a Cup next year than either Holloway or Broberg. I don't think they'll trade him just to match either OS.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
etting on a 30 year old to repeat a career season on an elite hockey team instead of regressing to what he has always been is definitely a good and smart thing to do.

He probably won't, but if he isn't far off and Edmonton would retain even 20% he could be a valuable TDL commodity. If not, he's gone after the season anyways.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd be happy to pick up a 2nd for Ceci or 1st+Ceci for 3rd (if they're desperate). I think he's an upgrade on Ruuta, and possibly Benning (injury). He's only got a year left and can eat minutes.

He's exactly the type of player teams randomly want at the deadline to beef up. Guys who may hurt players on the other team are always valued. However, he may make the team a tiny bit better, a tiny bit harder to play against (albeit somehow even worse puck moving), and I want us to load up on picks. In future offseasons 2nds are great currency for actual top 4 d-men (Marino, Sergachev, Toews, ect.)

Walman-Ceci
Ferraro-Emberson
Thrun-Benning/Vlasic
Vlasic, Ruuta

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And Elliotte Friedman just said on his podcast today that if the Oilers actually wanted to trade Ceci at any point this summer they had options to do so.

Ceci is more important to their chances of winning a Cup next year than either Holloway or Broberg. I don't think they'll trade him just to match either OS.
I mean, they shouldn't match the Broberg offersheet because it's three times the AAV he deserves, but they definitely have to move someone to keep Holloway. I think Kulak will be basically unmovable without attaching a 1st to him, so moving Ceci with a 2nd or 3rd will be their most palatable option.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean, they shouldn't match the Broberg offersheet because it's three times the AAV he deserves, but they definitely have to move someone to keep Holloway. I think Kulak will be basically unmovable without attaching a 1st to him, so moving Ceci with a 2nd or 3rd will be their most palatable option.
How is losing an entire second pair in order to keep a bottom six winger remotely sensible for a Cup contender?

They should just put Kane on LTIR to keep Broberg and let the Blues have Holloway. No need to move Ceci.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How is losing an entire second pair in order to keep a bottom six winger remotely sensible for a Cup contender?

They should just put Kane on LTIR to keep Broberg and let the Blues have Holloway. No need to move Ceci.
I think this is certainly a matter of opinion, but I really don't think that Broberg contract would be a smart thing for the Oilers to lock themselves into given that their three best players all need serious raises in the next year.

Reactions: timorous me

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

My understanding is that Kane has to stay on LTIR all season for that plan to work. Per The Athletic, Kane to LTIR gives Oilers $5.125M in flexibility, but they'd have to clear space to activate him in season.
I think this is certainly a matter of opinion, but I really don't think that Broberg contract would be a smart thing for the Oilers to lock themselves into given that their three best players all need serious raises in the next year.
Exactly this - the Athletic article agrees. You're trying to sign Draisatl to an extension which will require a raise, as well as Bouchard in RFA with arbitration rights next July 1, and McJesus in 2026.

Meanwhile losing both players means you lose the only players on roster "who still have room to grow" per article again (so don't @ me if you disagree).

In a separate article, Shayna Goldman argues they should keep Holloway, betting on upside of him rounding into middle-6 form with good support from all the signings from July 1. However, Broberg is trickier. a one-year deal was probably going to be 900K, but he's worth more... just not $4MM+ AAV, and matching that OS is betting on his absolute max upside, and if he doesn't hit it, it screws you during a tricky time for contract renegotiations for more important players.

Even though Broberg played well in the PO's, it's definitely not cut and dry that they should match it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
My understanding is that Kane has to stay on LTIR all season for that plan to work. Per The Athletic, Kane to LTIR gives Oilers $5.125M in flexibility, but they'd have to clear space to activate him in season.

Exactly this - the Athletic article agrees. You're trying to sign Draisatl to an extension which will require a raise, as well as Bouchard in RFA with arbitration rights next July 1, and McJesus in 2026.

Meanwhile losing both players means you lose the only players on roster "who still have room to grow" per article again (so don't @ me if you disagree).

In a separate article, Shayna Goldman argues they should keep Holloway, betting on upside of him rounding into middle-6 form with good support from all the signings from July 1. However, Broberg is trickier. a one-year deal was probably going to be 900K, but he's worth more... just not $4MM+ AAV, and matching that OS is betting on his absolute max upside, and if he doesn't hit it, it screws you during a tricky time for contract renegotiations for more important players.

Even though Broberg played well in the PO's, it's definitely not cut and dry that they should match it.
There's no rule that says you're required to activate a player off LTIR as soon as he's healthy. As long as Kane doesn't raise a stink about it they should be able to Kucherov him for the year. I'm sure that's why they're delaying his offseason surgery as much as possible.

Losing Broberg for a 2nd would be terrible asset management. He just has to be a decent #4 to earn his contract. I would match that offer sheet then trade him for more than a 2nd next offseason if necessary to make room for Draisaitl's extension. But there are plenty of other players who will be on expiring contracts next year that they can move first like Kane, Arvidsson, Kulak, etc.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
There's no rule that says you're required to activate a player off LTIR as soon as he's healthy. As long as Kane doesn't raise a stink about it they should be able to Kucherov him for the year. I'm sure that's why they're delaying his offseason surgery as much as possible.

Losing Broberg for a 2nd would be terrible asset management. He just has to be a decent #4 to earn his contract. I would match that offer sheet then trade him for more than a 2nd next offseason if necessary to make room for Draisaitl's extension. But there are plenty of other players who will be on expiring contracts next year that they can move first like Kane, Arvidsson, Kulak, etc.
I never said they were forced to activate him LTIR, just that they'll have to keep him out of the lineup all year if they want to go that route. Just going on LTIR is not a solution in itself.

You are taking a very strong position on this ("terrible asset management") for no clear reason to me, and you're responding to me as if I told you something very stupid and that your answer is very obvious. Unnecessary and untrue.

If it were so obvious, it would be resolved already. It's not so obvious. Give Stan a call if you think he's missing something. You can say that it'll all resolve itself in time and that Broberg is an obvious match, but if you don't acknowledge that there is risk in this strategy in the event Broberg does NOT perform and/or regardless it makes it harder to sign your three biggest contracts in the next two years, then you are being disingenuous.

What is inarguable is that they put themselves into this situation with all the July 1 signings, and the offer sheets aren't all that surprising.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I never said they were forced to activate him LTIR, just that they'll have to keep him out of the lineup all year if they want to go that route. Just going on LTIR is not a solution in itself.

You are taking a very strong position on this ("terrible asset management") for no clear reason to me, and you're responding to me as if I told you something very stupid and that your answer is very obvious. Unnecessary and untrue.

If it were so obvious, it would be resolved already. It's not so obvious. Give Stan a call if you think he's missing something. You can say that it'll all resolve itself in time and that Broberg is an obvious match, but if you don't acknowledge that there is risk in this strategy in the event Broberg does NOT perform and/or regardless it makes it harder to sign your three biggest contracts in the next two years, then you are being disingenuous.

What is inarguable is that they put themselves into this situation with all the July 1 signings, and the offer sheets aren't all that surprising.
Kane is useless so keeping him out of the lineup all season won't hurt the Oilers at all.

Broberg for a 2nd round pick is objectively terrible asset management. It just is. There were rumors all year that Broberg was unhappy with his treatment within the org. If they were willing to accept that low of a return for him he would have been traded before the deadline.

I like Holloway a lot and suggested the Sharks sign him to an offer sheet last month but his ceiling is probably a speedy forechecking 3rd line wing. Useful piece to have but easy enough to replace. Broberg's combo of size and skating ability is extremely rare. It would be disastrous to lose a player like that for a 2nd round pick. Mattias Ekholm is 34 years old and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Oilers under Katz ownership have consistently been the worst run team in the league for two decades. Whatever they decide, I'm certain it will be the wrong decision.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I was just digging back into the gamelog from last year, what an absolute triumph

11 game losing streak with 1 SO loss

18 game span of .500 play

12 game REGULATION losing streak

(The first half of the season nets 21 points in the standings, lol)

12 game stretch of .500 play
(Includes a season best 3 game win streak, uh oh, look out, spoiling the tank)

9 game losing streak

1 goal win over Ottawa

9 game losing streak

3 wins in the last 10

A true masterwork

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
Ceci cannot play defense. It would be really bad to sign him here. The Senators couldn't wait to move on from him. Oiler defense is bad too. I'd rather have a revolving door with the Barracuda, with Pohlkamp getting first try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad