Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Sorta, just trying to make sense of the comp beyond the size, skating/shooting ability.

Was there ever criticism of Carter's shot selection? I feel like they had different "shooter" profiles as prospects.

No one can answer that question. The specifics of pre-NHL prospects' games in 2005 basically amounted to clichés. Think of what was said about Provorov, but make it 10 times worse because not even the hardcores could get video.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Everyone has their favorites and scapegoats. For one player there will be turd polishing, while another will be raked over the coals for the same thing. As this is a site centered around prospects that are unproven, this behavior is magnified. Some players can do no wrong and will always have support, while others will be picked apart and criticized with an uphill battle to find themselves in fan’s good graces.

IMO Cutter has been very good and has succeeded at every level he’s played at. There are more positions on a team than a 1C and 1D that need to be filled out. Even if he isn’t a 1C he can still be very valuable to the team. Going by a few prospect ranking sites, Cutter would be the best prospect on many teams. If your standards are he isn’t the best prospect in the league you will always be disappointed

Reactions: Patrick Division

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
IMO Cutter has been very good and has succeeded at every level he’s played at.
Nobody is arguing against that
There are more positions on a team than a 1C and 1D that need to be filled out.
Even if he isn’t a 1C he can still be very valuable to the team.
Going by a few prospect ranking sites, Cutter would be the best prospect on many teams.
If your standards are he isn’t the best prospect in the league you will always be disappointed
That isn't anyone's standard for him

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020

That isn't anyone's standard for him
Well it certainly gives the feel that some are more pessimistic and are on the more critical sides. I don’t see why anyone Flyers’ fan shouldn’t be very excited they have a player like him in the system

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think you are misremembering entirely the criticism of Carter, which wasn't based on his ability to play C (he was a fine two-way C) or how he scored goals (his ability to use his speed to create space for himself in the high slot off of the rush with defenders on their heels combined with that effortless release was always going to translate), but rather that he didn't use his size to be some sort of prototypical power forward, didn't seem to be skating very hard (which is how it works when you skate well - Hello, Morgan Frost!), and that he supposedly missed tons of goals because he routinely missed the net trying to go top corner. All of that criticism, by the way, was after Carter was an established NHL player, not while he was a prospect.

I understand you think that people are just shitting on Gauthier out of pessimism about the team. You're off-base though. Go back and look at the pre-draft threads for people's takes on Gauthier before the Flyers drafted him. The concerns about his profile - physical tools with a high-end shot but not an offensively-creative or particularly high IQ player - were raised by these same people before the draft. That's because it's a profile the tends to result in a complimentary top 9 winger, not a first line center, and you aren't getting your money's worth at 5th overall landing a physically toolsy winger who doesn't process the game particularly well.

Those were not concerns people ever had about Carter. He was a smart player who knew how to leverage his physical tools effectively to be dangerous offensively and strong defensively, helping to tilt the ice in his team's direction even when facing off against top competition, which is something the high-and-wide crowd could never grasp. They just thought he was a p***y who refused to use his size to his advantage and was too laid back. Any comparison of the two players is superficial.

It was definitely claimed that Carter was bad at defense, basically because he didn't hit enough and he skated too well.

Also, denigrating his shooting didn't happen until he didn't repeat his 40 goal season. That's when people really lost their minds.

And finally, a bunch of people just didn't like how he looked. Like, as a person. You drilled down far enough and eventually you commonly got to "he has frosted tips and I hate that" as the core reason. That not a problem with Gauthier.

I just don't see any parallel between reception of the two at this point at all.

From the games I've seen I'm not seeing much blowing me away. I said the same thing about Farabee. I am an idiot. Good players evolve. Maybe he isnt challenged enough to evolve the way I'd like now. Maybe he is at the pro level, and he becomes powerful. We will find out.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Okay just so we are on the same page here. What do you project Gauthier to be? What position will he take in the line up and what sort of points totals can be expected from him?

Here is my biggest issue with this whole conversation….You haven’t said anything about Gauthier to make anyone change their mind.
You don’t agree with the assessments on Gauthier? Cool. Give us real rationale about why you disagree with the thought.

Instead, you didn’t really discuss Gauthier, and said the only reason people are negative against Cutter is because he was drafted by CF. You also attempted to devalue others by calling them hipsters. You are acting like you have some moral superiority here, but all you are doing is using ad hominem.
None of this has to do with my judgment of Gauthier the player. Im also not trying to change anyone’s evaluation of him as a player. I’m making an observation that Gauthier seems to be a very polarizing prospect among (some) Flyers fans and those fans appear to hold him generally in lower regard than other fans and observers around the league. I think there are reasons for that, and I find those reasons interesting and worth remarking on. I used Jeff Carter to illustrate another instance of a player polarizing this fanbase, and I suspect Gauthier’s career won’t be different in that regard.

This is very clearly not “ad hominem” fwiw. Odd remark. It’s an observation of this sub community of Flyers fans, sure.

All that being said, I don’t like giving singular projections of prospects. I don’t think that’s how prospects work. I’ve said this before, but every single prospect has a distribution of outcomes associated with them with various probabilities. Some players have very high likelihoods of reaching their top outcome, others less. Some have high probability of a low outcome but reasonable probability of a top outcome without much in between, etc. Just out of my ass right now, subject to change, my distribution for Gauthier is roughly: a ~20% chance of being a 40 goal scorer in his prime with a Jeff Carter type impact; a ~40% probability of being a 30g, 60p player; a 20% chance of being a middle six type player with a scoring touch; and a 20% chance of being less than that and/or bust.

The more relevant part of my evaluation of him is that he is worth a 5th overall pick and has done absolutely nothing to disprove the worthiness of his selection thus far. That’s where this forum (some, at least) appear to disagree most strongly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also, and as usual, the complaints are chiefly about the process. Another high floor pick while passing on potentially higher ceilings, as viewed at the time.

And for myself, there's knowing that this team is likely to use even one Top 5 pick as enough to say "good enough, that's the rebuild done." And Gauthier isn't an instant rebuild-finisher. Nobody is, but the Flyers always cut these things drastically short. The problems as ever lie in the processes far more than the players.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
The more relevant part of my evaluation of him is that he is worth a 5th overall pick and has done absolutely nothing to disprove the worthiness of his selection thus far. That’s where this forum (some, at least) appear to disagree most strongly.

I could not agree more about how we need to speak in bands of outcomes.

I think the disconnect here is that this one area you see as more black and white than the rest of your post. There's a middle ground where the reasons someone might have thought he was more like a normal pick in the teens are specific and wouldn't preclude him from succeeding at the NCAA level, but still might cap his reasonable NHL ceiling. You can of course disagree with that group on him, but I do consider it important to differentiate that from braying bust endlessly.

Reactions: Random Forest

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
But how about Samu Tuomaala turning himself into a player again?
Yes, can anyone who has watched the Phantoms regularly offer some incite on his game? Also, can anyone comment on why IL cant field a line-up with both Avon and Gendron in it? It is almost like he is aping Tortorella...

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Well it certainly gives the feel that some are more pessimistic and are on the more critical sides. I don’t see why anyone Flyers’ fan shouldn’t be very excited they have a player like him in the system
Are there people that aren't excited to have him? Have you seen anybody say they think he will bust? Anybody that has says he wont be an effective NHLer?

Can you point to any specific examples here? Because your statements certainly give the feel that you are extrapolating a lot from people saying things like "I think he can be a first line winger but not a 1C", or "He needs to learn to get into more dangerous areas to maximize his goal scoring potential".

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
None of this has to do with my judgment of Gauthier the player. Im also not trying to change anyone’s evaluation of him as a player. I’m making an observation that Gauthier seems to be a very polarizing prospect among (some) Flyers fans and those fans appear to hold him generally in lower regard than other fans and observers around the league. I think there are reasons for that, and I find those reasons interesting and worth remarking on. I used Jeff Carter to illustrate another instance of a player polarizing this fanbase, and I suspect Gauthier’s career won’t be different in that regard.

This is very clearly not “ad hominem” fwiw. Odd remark. It’s an observation of this sub community of Flyers fans, sure.

All that being said, I don’t like giving singular projections of prospects. I don’t think that’s how prospects work. I’ve said this before, but every single prospect has a distribution of outcomes associated with them with various probabilities. Some players have very high likelihoods of reaching their top outcome, others less. Some have high probability of a low outcome but reasonable probability of a top outcome without much in between, etc. Just out of my ass right now, subject to change, my distribution for Gauthier is roughly: a ~20% chance of being a 40 goal scorer in his prime with a Jeff Carter type impact; a ~40% probability of being a 30g, 60p player; a 20% chance of being a middle six type player with a scoring touch; and a 20% chance of being less than that and/or bust.

Sounds like your evaluation of him pretty much aligns with the majority here. I guess you just hold him in lower regard then a lot of fans that exist outside this board that thing his most likely upside is a first line center. But that is understandable, he is such a polarizing player after all.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sounds like your evaluation of him pretty much aligns with the majority here. I guess you just hold him in lower regard then a lot of fans that exist outside this board that thing his most likely upside is a first line center. But that is understandable, he is such a polarizing player after all.
What do you consider “upside” if not the top end of his possible outcomes? A 20% chance of a 40g scorer (and 60% chance of 30g+) is very much “first line” upside.

What do you expect from a 5th overall selection?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
What do you consider “upside” if not the top end of his possible outcomes? A 20% chance of a 40g scorer (and 60% chance of 30g+) is very much “first line” upside.

What do you expect from a 5th overall selection?
Nobody has said he doesn't have first line upside, they have only said that if he plays center his ceiling is probably 2C instead of 1C. It's pretty well universally agreed that he has first line upside as a wing.

The people here have issue with people on twitter, or the media types penciling him in as the future 1C for no reason other then CF decided they were going to move him from wing to center and take care of their pesky issue with no center depth. Or the people that think he has franchise cornerstone level talent, like you could build an entire roster around him.

So again, your analysis is far more inline with the people here then the rest of the fandom. If there is divide amongst fans about Cutter, you're on our side of the divide.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Are there people that aren't excited to have him? Have you seen anybody say they think he will bust? Anybody that has says he wont be an effective NHLer?

Can you point to any specific examples here? Because your statements certainly give the feel that you are extrapolating a lot from people saying things like "I think he can be a first line winger but not a 1C", or "He needs to learn to get into more dangerous areas to maximize his goal scoring potential".
I guess I misunderstood then. I was under the impression that you and some here weren’t happy with the selection of him. Obviously something happened the last few pages centered around Gauthier and I was seeing things like “polarizing prospect” and someone wanting to trade him

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
And if he ends up a 30-30 guy drafted at 5 thats fine. It's not a "failure" but it also isn't much of a win. Almost every year there is one guy in the 4-9 range that exceeds expectations and turns into a real home run.

Franchise and teams rise or fall based on their ability to find that guy in that range instead of a 30-30 guy.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
the talk in here about cutter was so different before I pointed out he had 3 points on friday and played a solid game lol and even then people who hadnt even watched the game got smarmy about it. if anyone really wants to see the gauthier discourse just go back a few pages. im convinced the majority of people here dont watch his games or any prospect games, theres never any discusssion until a highlights posted and its always from the same posters, and then all anyone talks about is where he shoots from, its not even a conversation about how he keeps doing its a conversation about how he cant possibly keep it up, some of you just use any opportunity to trash the team and the players.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Much better to hope he sucks and skew the conversation that way. If he does suck it'll be his fault not player development. Other prospects, it’s all player development. As the wheels keep turning here.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
And if he ends up a 30-30 guy drafted at 5 thats fine. It's not a "failure" but it also isn't much of a win. Almost every year there is one guy in the 4-9 range that exceeds expectations and turns into a real home run.

Franchise and teams rise or fall based on their ability to find that guy in that range instead of a 30-30 guy.
Again, you’re never going to draft a slam dunk player at 5th overall. You’re drafting a probability distribution with a range of outcomes. Gauthier *does* have elite upside in his probability distribution. If he did not, then I would concede it would be a poor selection at 5OA. But his range of potential outcomes seems perfectly reasonable for where he was selected to me.

Even Cale Makar was a just a probability distribution. He happened to achieve his top outcome. But it was every bit as likely that he would “only” be a 45 point offensive minded top 2/3 guy. You’re wildly overstating the degree to which these things are preordained.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Yeah, no. Carter was never fully appreciated for being the good two-way center that he was until very late in his tenure as a Flyer, and even then, he was still spending plenty of time as a winger. Being a “one trick pony” was very much a criticism of him, in much the same way people are talking about Gauthier.

You’re describing a ton of similarities between the two players and then just saying they apply to Carter but not Gauthier. Eg, “that effortless release was always going to translate” for Carter but not Gauthier? What? Carter was never touted as a particularly creative player or passer, and frankly, his junior goal scoring was never as impressive as Gauthier’s either.

If 18 year old Jeff Carter had been drafted by the Flyers 5th overall in 2022, I have 0.00% doubt every single one of these criticisms of Gauthier would still be used (high end shot but not creative, not high IQ, won’t translate at the NHL level, etc).

I'm pushing back on the Carter comparison because it seems almost exclusively based on them both being tall, skating well, and having a great shot. In other words, it's a superficial and not particularly helpful comparison, like most player comps.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just a few specific rebuttals.

1) The pro-Carter crowd always talked up his two-way play. It was the high-and-wide crowd that conflates grinding with defense that thought it was an issue. These same people also think Morgan Frost is bad defensively when he simply doesn't grade out that way.

2) Carter was projected to be and spent most of his time at center. He really didn't spend any appreciable amount of time at wing once he was an established NHLer until the Richards / Carter / Briere / Giroux logjam happened.

3) That effortless release was paired with Carter's intelligence in 1 v 1 situations on the rush. He just didn't fire from any and everywhere and beat people because his shot was just too good. He very intentionally used his size, speed, and yes, creativity (maybe not as a traditional playmaker, but absolutely to deceptively get to his spot, get the defender on the wrong foot, and catch the goalie off-guard.) to score. I haven't watched Gauthier play at all, so I have no idea if he has that same ability, but from what I'm hearing from others who watch him regularly (and they do), the answer is not really? He's just firing from everywhere and beating sub-NHL goalies because his shot is that good, and the concern is that this won't translate. Whether or not that is accurate, I'll have to wait and see before I make my own judgement. Maybe he has room to grow that ability and simply hasn't needed to as of yet but still can?

4) Nuanced analysis of Carter as a prospect didn't exist in 2003. To see him actually play in any reasonable sample, you pretty much would have needed to have lived in Ontario. All we knew was that he was big, skated well, and had a hell of a wrist shot. I had to watch him play in the AHL & NHL before I could really grasp his game. It'll be the same for me with Gauthier, but only because I lack the inclination and time to watch any prospects. But there are people who are watching those prospects, who are making nuanced evaluations, because they can literally stream all of his games, a luxury we didn't have back in 2003. They also have a much more proficient understanding of the value of different metrics, many of which didn't even exit yet in 2003.

As I pointed out earlier, the "hipsters" didn't arrive at their opinion of Gauthier because Chuck drafted him. They weren't keen on him going into that draft in the first place, and that's all well-documented on this very site, because they didn't like his profile, and especially, from my understanding of their reasoning, because they didn't like his overall skill level and hockey IQ, or whatever you want to call it based on their viewings. By the way, many of these "hipsters" you are trying to call out here were literal children when Carter was drafted, so I just don't understand the "irony" that you are seeing with there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad