Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
i did watch, and it was one of his better games of the season. those highlights are just the successful assists, cutter was connecting passes all game, still had a couple shot chances but he was getting double teamed on every touch and it was the first game where he was really using it to his advantage, whether it was cutter recognizing it or a coaching thing idk but there were times where he could have shot through the screen but went pass instead. that 6th goal is a good example of how he was baiting guys even when he wasnt in scoring position, he was making those plays all night. had a few really solid penalty kills. had a couple crafty keep ins at the blueline i cant remember the sequences exactly but he saved a few botched entries and turned them into chances, if you had asked me yesterday id probably be able to give you more specifics

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
i did watch, and it was one of his better games of the season. those highlights are just the successful assists, cutter was connecting passes all game, still had a couple shot chances but he was getting double teamed on every touch and it was the first game where he was really using it to his advantage, whether it was cutter recognizing it or a coaching thing idk but there were times where he could have shot through the screen but went pass instead. that 6th goal is a good example of how he was baiting guys even when he wasnt in scoring position, he was making those plays all night. had a few really solid penalty kills. had a couple crafty keep ins at the blueline i cant remember the sequences exactly but he saved a few botched entries and turned them into chances, if you had asked me yesterday id probably be able to give you more specifics
Thanks for the assessment. Many times you can't base play on the box score. I think this is where the advanced analytics come in, although, admittingly, I really do not understand them. Possession, possession, possession.......

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I have watched a lot of Gauthier this season, probably 80% of his total icetime. I believe he’s overvalued as a prospect. He doesn’t have elite puck skills, his pass/shot selection is bad, he’s not that good without the puck. Fact is, when he’s not shooting, he’s been kind of invisible. A decent play here or there, but nothing spectacular. And that’s my biggest gripe with this top-C potential designation he’s generating. If he is going to be a top line C, he need to show a higher skill level more consistently.
OwenTippettAndCutterGauthierSpiderman.jpeg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
And to be clear, Tippett has turned himself into a very solid NHLer, capable of being a good offensive producer. In the same vein, Gauthier has a projectable NHL game. And he could potentially turn into a very solid NHL forward. I just don’t see the top end, 1C everyone says he is.
To be fair, is there anyone calling him a potential top end #1 centre outside of the Flyers organization? :laugh:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
And to be clear, Tippett has turned himself into a very solid NHLer, capable of being a good offensive producer. In the same vein, Gauthier has a projectable NHL game. And he could potentially turn into a very solid NHL forward. I just don’t see the top end, 1C everyone says he is.
Yeah we are on the same page, nothing wrong with Tippett and there will be nothing wrong with CG.

Drafting one with a top 5 pick does kind of hurt.

Reactions: VladDrag

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
?

If he becomes Carter 2.0 that would be awesome.
Yes, I’m talking about the fans who hated him for shooting too much or missing the net too often. You can already see fans on here preparing to not like Gauthier in much the same way people had it out for Carter.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Yes, I’m talking about the fans who hated him for shooting too much or missing the net too often. You can already see fans on here preparing to not like Gauthier in much the same way people had it out for Carter.

It was a long time ago so maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I am pretty sure Carter was widely defended on this board,

I see what you are trying to do compare the two, but from what I remember its a bad take,

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It’s not a bad take. It’s a disingenuous one. The same people who would defend Carter are the ones critical of Gauthier’s standing as an elite prospect. If we thought he’d be Carter, there’d be no criticism.
I’m happy to bet against Gauthier becoming Carter, but at least you recognize the irony of Carter’s defenders turning into Gauthier’s critics!

It was a long time ago so maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I am pretty sure Carter was widely defended on this board,

I see what you are trying to do compare the two, but from what I remember its a bad take,
You are remembering correctly. That’s why I find the suspicion of Gauthier so strange.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
To state the obvious (or “something that isn’t there” depending on your POV), the suspicion of Gauthier is 99% because of the people who drafted him, not because of any highly perceptive observations that only his critics can spot.

He’s a 5th overall pick that’s done absolutely nothing but score goals in the NCAA (and in men’s tournaments) at a ridiculous rate, with tools that few players possess. Like any junior aged player, he’s not a flawless prospect, and, sure, his skill set may not translate, but I struggle to think of anything he could have done as a U20 player to alleviate the supposed concerns about his skill set, other than to not have been drafted by Chuck Fletcher and co.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
To state the obvious (or “something that isn’t there” depending on your POV), the suspicion of Gauthier is 99% because of the people who drafted him, not because of any highly perceptive observations that only his critics can spot.

He’s a 5th overall pick that’s done absolutely nothing but score goals in the NCAA (and in men’s tournaments) at a ridiculous rate, with tools that few players possess. Like any junior aged player, he’s not a flawless prospect, and, sure, his skill set may not translate, but I struggle to think of anything he could have done as a U20 player to alleviate the supposed concerns about his skill set, other than to not have been drafted by Chuck Fletcher and co.
What are the concerns people have with his skillset?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Except their criticisms of Gauthier pre-date the Flyers' drafting of him.

Your comparison of him to Carter is rather superficial. Big, fast, goal-scorer. I have't watched Gauthier play, so I have no opinion, but the complaints I've seen are that he doesn't have the skillset of an NHL center and that his goalscoring may not translate as well as one might hope against NHL goaltenders because of how he's been scoring his goals. Carter, meanwhile, absolutely had the skillset of an NHL center along with a nearly elite wrist shot that was destined to translate, all of which was highly evident and touted way back in juniors by the same types of people.

The true irony here is the same people who killed Carter are the ones defending everything the organization does, including talking up rosy projections of all of its current prospects. That's because it's all based on things that are ultimately superficial, i.e. physical tools and certain counting stats, combined with echoing propaganda in service to a desperate and deeply flawed organizational philosophy that values the wrong things.

Look, I get it. Some people just want to enjoy talking about the favorite team again, which is understandable, but others aren't just being negative for the sake of being negative. The Gauthier critics are basing their criticism specifically on their own evaluations after watching him play. If he flashed the skillset of an NHL center in their mind and was scoring more of his goals from the areas of the ice he'll need to get to for his goalscoring to fully translate, I'd imagine they'd all be big fans, regardless of who drafted him. You may not like it, but their criticism of his play is detailed and cogent.

Now, all of that doesn't mean that Gauthier's critics are destined to be correct. Nobody's perfect. But unfortunately their batting average has been pretty damned good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad