Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t think it was purely Sakic, but I think Sakic was certainly the closer. He made things happen. Through one season as GM Cmac hasn’t. Both EJ and Mackinnon have spoken out on a certain something happening at the deadline that didn’t come to fruition.

It’s a small sample but year 1 was a failure.
As did Devon Toews.

Reactions: missionAvs

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm terrible at judging trade value, but I really would like to trade with Arizona.

Would one of Girard/Toews, Newhook and a 1st rounder be enough to get Hayton and Crouse (800K retained)? You get that 800K retained on Crouse and he's coming over at 3.5M per season. He also does not have movement protection, which is something we need to consider with any players coming in on Landy's LTIR money.

One of the reasons I like Crouse so much is that he can also play either wing. Having him in addition to Lehky and Nuke being able to swap wings makes shuffling lineups a bit easier for Bednar I would imagine.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I'm terrible at judging trade value, but I really would like to trade with Arizona.

Would one of Girard/Toews, Newhook and a 1st rounder be enough to get Hayton and Crouse (800K retained)? You get that 800K retained on Crouse and he's coming over at 3.5M per season. He also does not have movement protection, which is something we need to consider with any players coming in on Landy's LTIR money.

One of the reasons I like Crouse so much is that he can also play either wing. Having him in addition to Lehky and Nuke being able to swap wings makes shuffling lineups a bit easier for Bednar I would imagine.
Does Hayton really have 2C upside though? I know he’s young but I always felt he was more of a 3C. Crouse would be a great fit obviously.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
The Avs will never win a Cup with Girard in their defensive top 4. He’s either injured, or slightly more useful than a used jock strap once the physicality ramps up in the playoffs. Makar & Byram already aren’t ideally sized in the top 4 for long playoff runs, either, but they’re dynamic players, who don’t get their vagina caved repeatedly in their own end (*when heathy).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Does Hayton really have 2C upside though? I know he’s young but I always felt he was more of a 3C. Crouse would be a great fit obviously.
Oh, there would be risk in making a move for Hayton. But I think the risk is calculated and worthwhile.

Hayton.png

I was surprised a bit that his xGF% had dipped below 50.00 by season's end though. But this is Arizona we are talking about. It's going to be hard to have a high xGF% on that team.

Even with the risk involved, and even if you don't get Crouse and just get Hayton, his 1.775M salary next season allows for us to get more depth. As for the risk, I think he's much more fit offensively to center Lehkonen, Nichushkin, or Rantanen then either JTC or Newhook. He's still growing but I like his trajectory an awful lot. I'm not sure he has a 1C ceiling, but he'll be a 2C. And I think he can be a legit one.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s hard to imagine either Girard or Toews appealing to rebuilding teams like Arizona. Maybe Girard because he’s young and cost controlled. If Arizona suddenly pivots and wants to win now, then it starts to make more sense. But that seems unlikely.

Arizona would likely be more interested in draft picks/prospects.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don’t think it was purely Sakic, but I think Sakic was certainly the closer. He made things happen. Through one season as GM Cmac hasn’t. Both EJ and Mackinnon have spoken out on a certain something happening at the deadline that didn’t come to fruition.

95% of people here were calling for Sakic’s head his first 3 or so years here as well. Yes it was a bad year and they didn’t go all in, but give the guy a chance to settle in. Even though he worked on a lot of stuff with Sakic, he’s likely got a lot more to learn as a GM, just like Sakic did.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I think everyone would prefer Hayton, I just don't think AZ would part with him at this point. I wouldn't, they'd be foolish to.

Hence Schmaltz+ for G+

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
95% of people here were calling for Sakic’s head his first 3 or so years here as well. Yes it was a bad year and they didn’t go all in, but give the guy a chance to settle in. Even though he worked on a lot of stuff with Sakic, he’s likely got a lot more to learn as a GM, just like Sakic did.
Sakic had the luxury of not being in a contention window when he took over. We don't have the time for him to learn the ropes. He needs to make the right moves now or we're going to be a one off cup team like the Caps or Blues

Last edited:

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
If Arizona accepts more building pieces, send foudy, OO, a 1st or two for Hayton, Crouse and Valimaki. those three literally equal Gabe's cap hit. Then sell Girard for bottom 6 help.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't get why AZ would trade Hayton? They need young centers, they spent a high first rounder on him...why?

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't get why AZ would trade Hayton? They need young centers, they spent a high first rounder on him...why?
They don’t have any reason to move him. Pure wishful thinking.

Schmaltz… they have millions of reasons. Crouse… he’s likely to ask out soon. Keller maybe the same. Beyond those 3, Arizona doesn’t have motivation to move those players. Meaning you have to pay more than they are really worth.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Sounds like he helped bring the Duchene deal in.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
For the thousandth time, Schmaltz is not a centre.

He is not currently a center for AZ. He has capably played the position previously, I remember watching him in Chicago look damn good there, for example.

Except he sucks at faceoffs.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Sounds like he helped bring the Duchene deal in.

How many years ago was this? Can we move past this as what he's capable of? He flunked this year. Getting another AGM on the phone like 5 years ago isn't the sign of a great GM.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
They don’t have any reason to move him. Pure wishful thinking.

Schmaltz… they have millions of reasons. Crouse… he’s likely to ask out soon. Keller maybe the same. Beyond those 3, Arizona doesn’t have motivation to move those players. Meaning you have to pay more than they are really worth.
I don't think it would cost that much. Not more than the player is worth, but certainly more than you may like to pay.

You're absolutely right, Arizona really doesn't have any motivation. The only motivation they have is when Armstrong determines it is time to move on from tanking and actually start putting together a roster. I think Toews would certainly interest in that situation. But I don't think Bill is done accumulating high draft picks yet, so...

Here's the thing though, Montreal wasn't shopping Lehkonen either. They had no motivation to move him. Joe Sakic just wouldn't shut up about it and they finally relented. Once CMac has determined his target for center, I expect him to get a deal done. It won't be cheap no matter who it is.

Anyways, this is CMac's team now, it'll be interesting to see what he does this summer. I have a feeling it won't be anything like what I want to happen, but I also know there is probably a very good reason Joe Sakic hired CMac and not me as a successor.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
How many years ago was this? Can we move past this as what he's capable of? He flunked this year. Getting another AGM on the phone like 5 years ago isn't the sign of a great GM.
It is the rare peak behind the curtain of what happens in the Avalanche front office and if he had that much responsibility five years ago and subsequently became GM, I'm going to assume he's as or more involved since.

Fact is I don't think much has changed in the Avs front office besides some name plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad