Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Why are you so worried about the future? The future is going to hurt regardless of if the Avs sign Toews or let him walk. That's what happens when your core players age themselves out.

Keep Toews and try to win as many Stanley Cups as possible over the next 3-5 years. Once MacKinnon is no longer as dominant this team is f***ed anyways so why are you so concerned about Toews' contract?
Exactly. Also, at some point the Avs need to learn to dump contracts, I mean that's why we have a team in AZ, right?

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would agree, except if he tests the market, some bonehead is going to offer him something he really can't afford to refuse. I mean if someone gives him 7x9M for example. That's 63M with a years less work. And I think he would be offered something close to 8.5-9.5M on the market.
I can’t see it. Obviously there’s some dumb GMs and nothing is impossible, but it’s improbable.

Pietrangelo (31) signed for 7 x 8.8 mil offer and was a top 5 defenseman and just won a Cup.

Hamilton (28) signed a 7 x 9 mil offer after being the #2 defenseman on the Canes and IIRC was top 10 in Norris votes.

Hampus Lindholm (28) got a 8 x 6.5 mil offer. He was coming off some rough years, but had a great showing with l the Bruins.

Toews (30) closest comparable is Lindholm IMO.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I can’t see it. Obviously there’s some dumb GMs and nothing is impossible, but it’s improbable.

Pietrangelo (31) signed for 7 x 8.8 mil offer and was a top 5 defenseman and just won a Cup.

Hamilton (28) signed a 7 x 9 mil offer after being the #2 defenseman on the Canes and IIRC was top 10 in Norris votes.

Hampus Lindholm (28) got a 8 x 6.5 mil offer. He was coming off some rough years, but had a great showing with l the Bruins.

Toews (30) closest comparable is Lindholm IMO.
Pietrangelo was a flat cap though.

Toews is going to be a UFA in the 1st summer where the cap goes up considerably and everyone will have money to spend. I also think he's shown to be a fair bit better then Lindholm before he signed that deal, much closer to Hamilton levels.

I dont know if he gets $9M, but $8M+ would easily be on the market for him, assuming no regression next year and he's still playing like a Top 20 Dman in the league.

At the same time, Toews doesn't strike me as a guy who would necessarily chase the most money. And given how close he and Makar are and how much he seems to enjoy playing with Cale and the Avs... I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a fairly substantial discount to stick around. Especially if the Avs offer that 8th year to drive the cap down further, it wouldn't shock me at all to see him sign for like 8x$6.5-$7M.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Toews doesn't strike me as a guy who would necessarily chase the most money. And given how close he and Makar are and how much he seems to enjoy playing with Cale and the Avs... I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a fairly substantial discount to stick around. .
Ah yes, that famous discount that our UFA's always take. Just like Landy, Mack, Nuke, Helm, Cogliano, Manson...

You never ever learn do you?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's tricky for the Avs. If Toews' camp drags it's feet early this summer, their intentions become revealed. And the Avs possibly need to shift to trading Toews.

But if the Avs trade Toews during/before, that gives Byrams camp leverage.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ah yes, that famous discount that our UFA's always take. Just like Landy, Mack, Nuke, Helm, Cogliano, Manson...

LOL - should we look for the posts where people on this very forum kept saying stuff like "Landeskog is going to want NO LESS than $8M per season... hell he could even get $8.5 or $9M from a desperate team!!"

Landeskog goes on to sign for the $7M per that just about everyone expected.

Pierce said "he wouldn't be surprised"... he didn't flat-out say that was his expectation or worse, speak in absolutes about it as many people seem to do on here.

Based on his personality, I woudn't be surprised either if Toews signed a reasonable contract to stay with the Avs. Everyone already knows that IF he wants to maximize his next deal as Kuemper did, he won't be with the Avs.

Now if you're talking about Byram, I won't be surprised based on HIS personality if he wants to break the bank on his next deal and even price himself out of what the Avs are willing to pay.

It could be completely the opposite and Toews wants to break the bank and Byram accepts something reasonable but I'll be surprised if that's what happens.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LOL - should we look for the posts where people on this very forum kept saying stuff like "Landeskog is going to want NO LESS than $8M per season... hell he could even get $8.5 or $9M from a desperate team!!"

There was a rumor of a 8M X 7 offer waiting for him on the open market and he signed for 7M X 8 with the Avs. That's a discount of $0.

Same with Nuke, (NJ IIRC) was ready to offer him 7M X 7. He signed for 6.125M X 8 with the Avs. $0 discount.

Mack became the highest paid player in the league. Manson signed at UFA value and the rest of them too.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a myth that never dies that fans want to believe that the players they love will sign for less for the team they love.

It happened at one point in Boston and Tampa and it's no longer the case with Sergachev and McAvoy signing for market value. For it to works it has to be the whole team buying in and not just some players.

Reactions: Linds and The Moops

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There was a rumor of a 8M X 7 offer waiting for him on the open market and he signed for 7M X 8 with the Avs. That's a discount of $0.

Same with Nuke, (NJ IIRC) was ready to offer him 7M X 7. He signed for 6.125M X 8 with the Avs. $0 discount.

Mack became the highest paid player in the league. Manson signed at UFA value and the rest of them too.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a myth that never dies that fans want to believe that the players they love will sign for less for the team they love.

It happened at one point in Boston and Tampa and it's no longer the case with Sergachev and McAvoy signing for market value. For it to works it has to be the whole team buying in and not just some players.
I think a lot of people 'hope' a discount happens not necessarily that they expect it to happen.

What if Toews signs an extension for 7 years X $7.5M per year? Is that a discount ? I guess it depends who you talk to and what their expectations are. If people think that he can get $9M+ per year on the open market in the summer of 2024 - then yeah, I guess that's a discount compared to that but that's also a year away.

It's not really about the whole team buying-in though. It's more about Toews and if he likes playing in Colorado, if he and his family enjoy living there and want to continue to play for this team. As we saw with Gaudreau & Klingberg last summer, trying to max out your value in UFA doesn't always give you the desired results. I'm totally sure that 'Johnny Hockey' was expecting to land in Philadelphia or some other big market for huge money after a 110 point season and essentially telling Calgary to f*** off. He ends up settling to play in a shitty market for a crappy franchise that's done nothing in 20+ years. Not all players end up testing UFA especially those that like their current situation.

If there's a willingness to extend with 1 year left on his contract from the team and the player, I feel confident they'll get it done. Otherwise, the Avs will have to decide if they are better off keeping him and his $4.1M to go 'all-in' next year OR trade him and then try to replace him.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

Toews's family seems settled in Colorado, and he seems to have a genuine on ice and off ice friendship with Makar.

I don't think he'll direct his agent to extract maximum possible money and I think if the Avs give him an offer that he considers "fair," he'll sign it without hesitation. Just like Makar did, who was well within his rights to push for more in his RFA deal.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Pierce said "he wouldn't be surprised"... he didn't flat-out say that was his expectation or worse, speak in absolutes about it as many people seem to do on here.

Based on his personality, I woudn't be surprised either if Toews signed a reasonable contract to stay with the Avs. Everyone already knows that IF he wants to maximize his next deal as Kuemper did, he won't be with the Avs.

Now if you're talking about Byram, I won't be surprised based on HIS personality if he wants to break the bank on his next deal and even price himself out of what the Avs are willing to pay.

It could be completely the opposite and Toews wants to break the bank and Byram accepts something reasonable but I'll be surprised if that's what happens.

I cant see the post you're responding too(The good old ignore list working well here I assume), but yeah Landy 100% took a discount, pretty sizable one as well. He had offers of $9M on a 7 year deal that summer.

As for the rest, yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see Toews take a discount with us, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Byram try and penny and dime the Avs for every bit he can... Its part of the reason why I'm also more open to dealing him. I dont think we can afford him if he goes that route. We're talking a 2 year bridge deal in the range of $5M and then probably a long term deal north of $9M, we cant afford to have two Dmen in that $9M+ range.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Try and sign Toews to the Lindholm deal. Trade G for someone like Pageau. Or maybe as a package for someone like Miller or Sheifele.

Pageau is awesome but a bit older than I'd like. I actually want to trade G for Texier and Peak. Two good complementary pieces cost controlled.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Call me crazy, but I don't think Toews at 30+ is worth 8+ million and losing G.
Toews is the vastly superior player now, and likely will be for the duration of Girard's contract.

Age does not matter here. The Avs will not be good in 4/5 years when MacKinnon is no longer in his prime dominating. I don't get why people are so worried about long term when the Avs are clearly trying to win now.

Teams have ebs and flows. We are eventually going to become the Sharks of today. It just happens when you go all in like SJ did for over a decade. They got one finals appearance. We have 1 cup and can still go for more.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Toews is the vastly superior player now, and likely will be for the duration of Girard's contract.

Age does not matter here. The Avs will not be good in 4/5 years when MacKinnon is no longer in his prime dominating. I don't get why people are so worried about long term when the Avs are clearly trying to win now.

Teams have ebs and flows. We are eventually going to become the Sharks of today. It just happens when you go all in like SJ did for over a decade. They got one finals appearance. We have 1 cup and can still go for more.
I'd rather use the money elsewhere for the short-term. Loosing G and the extra cap space isn't worth it.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Fair concern, but given his skating ability, IQ, and style of play, I think the aging curve is going to be a bit better to him than other similarly situated dmen.
He was good in the playoffs this year, but he's already regressing from what we saw last year. Unless he was playing through something, I have serious concerns about him going forward.

We also can't just keep paying guys. We have to trade or let people go. It's crucial that we find players that fit our system on good deals. We just simply can't pay our top pairing 17.5 million or more.

Reactions: The Moops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad