Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How much more on top of Girard, would it take? A first? Two firsts? I don't think we own a second the rest of this decade. Or is Girard just a piece that no GM is going to want to base the deal around?

I can't help but think Girard is well priced for what he brings to the table. He's not a world beater by any means though but is a capable second pairing dman. That cost certainty though with the flat cap was something I thought would be a better selling point, but it sounds like the time for that would have been last year potentially as I've heard the cap will go up 1M this year and then be set to start growing again in the summer of '24.

I dunno. Part of the issue with Girard is his size. Right away that will eliminate some teams from having any interest in him. His contract isn't really a plus value either. The last two years he has underperformed relative to that contract. It's no longer the complete steal that it was IMO... Although the fact you see guys like Nurse and Jones making $9M does help with the value of Gs $5M.

But ultimately I think teams will have interest in Girard in regards to taking a chance on a guy who's had a couple of underwhelming years but has shown a lot of ability and potential at the same time. But that's not a chance you take while also paying high value to do so.

IMO the high end kind of return we could maybe get for Girard would be Casey Mittelstadt. I dont think we're getting a better player then that and he isn't necessarily a guaranteed 2C solution by any means.

Yup. They'll end up extending Toews and trading Girard for a disappointing return. We've seen the smoke for a while now.

Yeah. Which IMO is fine. Keeping Toews/Byram are still our two best LD and keeps the Defense as strong as it needs to be.

IMO the hope is you can get a 1st round pick as a piece in a Girard trade and then flip that 1st, maybe along with our own 1st to get the 2C.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think there’s a trade to be had between the Panthers and Avs with Girard while one of Bennett/Reinhart comes back. The Avs are probably adding some, but I don’t think it would be anything substantial.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I think we don’t get a 2C with G, unfortunately Toews is the only one able to land us a good center, and I doubt the Avs would be able to resign him anyway.

Also the « available » good centers are very rare, so there would be a bidding war to get them. Trying for a trade and sign obviously.

I can think about 2 or 3 players only, PL Dubois, Kuznetsov, because both want out. Also heard some talks in Riga about Nylander, I think he could be available too. Imagine Toews in Toronto ?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think we don’t get a 2C with G, unfortunately Toews is the only one able to land us a good center, and I doubt the Avs would be able to resign him anyway.

Also the « available » good centers are very rare, so there would be a bidding war to get them. Trying for a trade and sign obviously.

I can think about 2 or 3 players only, PL Dubois, Kuznetsov, because both want out. Also heard some talks in Riga about Nylander, I think he could be available too. Imagine Toews in Toronto ?
This simply isnt true at all, despite it being brought up constantly.

There's plenty of 2Cs available all the time, and plenty that get traded every year. Just have to be willing to make the move and move necessary pieces in order to get a deal done.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wasn't a Jost for Bennett trade close? And then got nixed for some reason?

Not sure. I always felt there was a brief window where a Jost for Kempe trade could have been worked out too.

I think the Avs have been on the right side of it since they won a Cup due to their acquisitions, but patience can be a virtue or a curse.

Reactions: jabubenice

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Well I was talking about good 2C’s :sarcasm:

But yeah there should be more than that. I was only talking about some who are known to be available to us, and if there are more, well then the GM’s are told about it obviously

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
A backend top 4 of:

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson

Is flat out rediculous.

We were without Landeskog and Nichushkin for the majority of the series vs Seattle. I'd expect us to sign a top winger to replace Landy and hopefully Nichushkin comes back. The play is to re-sign Toews to a 8 year/ 68.5 mil deal next offseason and trade Girard for a center.

Trade Girard to LA for Phillip Danault

Resign:
Byram 5x5
Malgin 2x1.5
Newhook 1x1.25
Myers 1x1.25
Nieto 1x950k
Cogliano 1x950k
Rodriques 2x2.5
EJ 1x1.5

Sign
Michael Bunting 5x5

17 mil next year to resign Toews and 39 mil in '25 to resign Rantanen

Lehkonen- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Bunting- Danault- Rantanen
Malgin- Rodriques- O'Connor
Nieto- Newhook- Cogliano
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Hunt - EJ

Georgiev
Francouz

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A backend top 4 of:

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson

Is flat out rediculous.

We were without Landeskog and Nichushkin for the majority of the series vs Seattle. I'd expect us to sign a top winger to replace Landy and hopefully Nichushkin comes back. The play is to re-sign Toews to a 8 year/ 68.5 mil deal next offseason and trade Girard for a center.

Trade Girard to LA for Phillip Danault

Resign:
Byram 5x5
Malgin 2x1.5
Newhook 1x1.25
Myers 1x1.25
Nieto 1x950k
Cogliano 1x950k
Rodriques 2x2.5
EJ 1x1.5

Sign
Michael Bunting 5x5

17 mil next year to resign Toews and 39 mil in '25 to resign Rantanen

Lehkonen- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Bunting- Danault- Rantanen
Malgin- Rodriques- O'Connor
Nieto- Newhook- Cogliano
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Hunt - EJ

Georgiev
Francouz
Lmao.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So Clayton Keller hasn’t exactly requested a trade, but he sat down with management and told them he wants a clear explanation of the direction of this team both on and off the ice in the very near future. Could be something to keep an eye on. A winger probably shouldn’t be above a centre on the priority list right now but that guy on that contract is somebody I’d pay an astronomical amount to get.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
So Clayton Keller hasn’t exactly requested a trade, but he sat down with management and told them he wants a clear explanation of the direction of this team both on and off the ice in the very near future. Could be something to keep an eye on. A winger probably shouldn’t be above a centre on the priority list right now but that guy on that contract is somebody I’d pay an astronomical amount to get.
Has he said that? All I saw was his dad saying stuff on Twitter…

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Seems doubtful they gave him an answer that would put him at ease.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Keeping Girard may be less expensive than keeping Toews, but he's no where near the player.

Age is a thing.

Do you mean you think Girard will improve (with age)? Or Toews will get worse (with age)?

Toews next contract will definitely age poorly, but we have seen defensemen like Burns and Letang still be very good in their later 30's. We're probably two US Presidential Elections away from Toews regressing. He's not that much older than MacKinnon.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do you mean you think Girard will improve (with age)? Or Toews will get worse (with age)?
Girard should stay about the same for the rest of his contract (4 years) and Toews already showed signs of decline last season. He's 29 and will be over 30 when he starts his next contract.

The gap in effectiveness between G and Toews will steadily close we just don't know how fast yet.

For every Letang and Burns there's 50+ dmen in the league that are no longer NHL caliber by age 35.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The one thing that does keep me coming back to hoping we could retain Toews is that his contract if under 7M/year actually may not be bad. He was a rather late bloomer. Most of the miles on his body have been accumulated here and he's actually had a really good run of health for the most part. There is probably room for a more optimistic outlook on keeping him than I allow myself to believe.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Toews had a great playoff, but I thought overall his play slipped from the prior season. Usually I put a lot of stock in the playoffs, but it wasn’t exactly a long run. The Avs only played seven games.

If the Avs didn’t have a depleted forward group we wouldn’t be talking about moving any defenceman, but one of these non-Makar D will have to go.

Toews would be a big loss, but it’s not often a team has another top pairing caliber defenceman who’s younger and can immediately fill the spot.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Clayton Keller has shown that he can run a line almost singlehandedly. He is Patrick Kane-lite.

If you got that guy, you could pair him with Mikko and any random C and I think it would work beautifully.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Toews next contract will definitely age poorly, but we have seen defensemen like Burns and Letang still be very good in their later 30's. We're probably two US Presidential Elections away from Toews regressing. He's not that much older than MacKinnon.
Well Toews improved with age , when he was Sammy's age he wasn't likely to be an NHL player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad