Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh yea sign him until he's 38 because f*** the future right?
Why are you so worried about the future? The future is going to hurt regardless of if the Avs sign Toews or let him walk. That's what happens when your core players age themselves out.

Keep Toews and try to win as many Stanley Cups as possible over the next 3-5 years. Once MacKinnon is no longer as dominant this team is f***ed anyways so why are you so concerned about Toews' contract?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Since Toews joined the Avalanche for the 2020-2021 season...

GPGAP+/-ATOI
1992910913812025:06

• He's 8th in ATOI amongst all skaters
  • He's 1st in +/- in the NHL (+28 more than the next closest player)
  • He's 1st in Even Strength Points amongst defensemen in both the regular season (113) and playoffs (38)
  • The Avalanche's record with him in the line-up is 138-45-16 (8-11-2 in games he's missed)

In other words, the man is a beast.

I don't know if Colorado will extend him, but trading him this off-season would dramatically hurt their chances of winning the Stanley Cup in 2023-2024.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

GPGAP+/-ATOI

• He's 1st in Even Strength Points amongst defensemen in both the regular season (113) and playoffs (38)
  • The Avalanche's record with him in the line-up is 138-45-16 (8-11-2 in games he's missed)

I don't know if Colorado will extend him, but trading him this off-season would dramatically hurt their chances of winning the Stanley Cup in 2023-2024.

It's very fair to point this out. And few disagree with this. There's a case to be made for keeping him and there's a case to be made for trading him. There's even a case to be made for keeping him knowing he'll walk for nothing.

But if they're going to trade him, now is the time. That's why it's worth discussing.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com

GPGAP+/-ATOI

From what I saw, which was probably 90% of the Avs games, he was not the same world-beater on defense that he was the previous season. Offensively he looked about the same to me. Maybe he had some nagging injuries, maybe he just had a down year. I expect him to be more like the Cup year version next season. If not, then maybe we should get what we can for him, but it's not that simple and we're going to really need him if we want another Cup. He's good at everything.

Girard is a luxury at this point, and he's young on a good contract. He definitely can be moved for forward help, and I think people really underrate what he would bring in a trade. Any team in the league would take him, we're just spoiled because we have lots of offense from the D and he usually gets overpowered by bigger players (which is most players.) I think he could net a nice return, and to me that's the most likely trade to happen.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017

Byram for Marner or Toews + Lehkonen for Marner? This is a joke, right? Has Marner ever performed well in the post season? Don't see the Avs touching this.

The Avs have Rantanen. Why would they, especially when the priority should be C?
Lol at Toews+Lehkonen for Marner. I imagine Toronto would love to acquire two playoff warriors for their soft, no showing winger. That would be a big hell no from me.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IMO with Toews, you can't lose him as a UFA. They need to make a decision this summer and either re-sign him, or trade him.

We already know the future is going to get real ugly around here... That's simply the product of the league we're in and the ebs and flows of being a contender. Nuke, and Landy contracts are going to age like milk, and Mackinnons isn't going to be much better.

So it really doesn't matter at all if Toews contract gets ugly as well, we're going to be deep into a rebuild anyway. But Toews is our best LD right now and stands a pretty good chance to continue being the best LD for the next 2-3 years as well. Which realistically is the absolute max our window stays open(IMO it's already closed but that's a different conversation).

But if the Avs do feel like Byram can/will be better then Toews within the next year or so, you have to consider trading Toews. Girard isn't going to fetch us a legit 2C IMO. Not after the last 2 years he's had, and we really can't f*** around and wait to find out with the 2C spot any longer. Our window isn't open long enough to experiment anymore. They need a legit 2C, and Toews or Byram are the guys that will get us that.

You look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs, all 4 of them are extremely strong up the middle. Not just 1C and 2C either, but good 3Cs and 4Cs. The Avs have got to make Center depth the number 1 priority this summer if they want to have any hope at all at being a contender next year.

If that means moving Toews, then that's what they need to do. But they can't lose him as a UFA next summer so they need to make a decision with him soon.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Doubt the Avs are winning a cup without Toews. Such a massive piece for the team, was money once again in the playoffs and better than anybody else on defense.

I expect those who want him traded would come here with pitchforks a few months into the trade once it's clear just how much losing a top pairing D hurts the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Doubt the Avs are winning a cup without Toews. Such a massive piece for the team, was money once again in the playoffs and better than anybody else on defense.

I expect those who want him traded would come here with pitchforks a few months into the trade once it's clear just how much losing a top pairing D hurts the team.
Not if they get a legit 2C for him. It would absolutely make the team better.

Reactions: Ararana

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While he is prone to some bad f***ups (hey, so is Cale, let's not kid ourselves) I don't think you can trade away Toews and go with a defensive core of Makar/Byram/Girard. That's just asking for trouble, and that's assuming all three stay relatively healthy which we know ain't happening.

Sadly, I have to conclude that if you're gonna trade a guy, you trade Sammy. What return that yields I have no idea but that's the guy you deal.

At this point I'm not that concerned about the long-term effects of these contracts. We all know they'll likely be done as a legit contender in a couple years, if that, so sign who ya gotta sign and deal with the consequences later.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

He had some pretty horrendous turnovers and pinches this playoffs, I’d say he was money just as much as he wasn’t. That being said I definitely would keep Toews if there’s a ballpark of what he wants in terms of $ and it can work, trade Girard.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Toews has been the top shutdown guy for the Avs. He's not the #1D but he's best all-around defender on the roster. He's a huge reason why Cale can do what he can do. When Toews isn't there or isn't on his game you can see the effect it has on Makar. He's also the best penalty killer on the Avs, full stop.

I don't think you can get rid of Toews without suffering some dire consequences, he's an integral part of the core and arguably the last piece they needed to finally implement the scheme Bednar wanted from the start. Girard is nowhere near as good offensively, and Byram is nowhere near as good defensively.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Yes they can :laugh:

They still have Cale Makar. They'd still have Byram. That's already better then just about every team in the league on Defense.
I don't see it. The offense has awful depth, even with a #2C. The Avs rely heavily on their Dcore to get things done, it's just not going to be the same without Toews.

If the intention is to contend right now you don't trade top pairing defensemen. #2C needs to be acquired with other pieces. Avs have all their 1st rounders, prospects, Newhook, Girard etc. Something will get you an acceptable 2nd line C, he doesn't need to be a star forward.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Byram will take the 1LD spot within 2 years, keep Toews and you'll have a 2nd pairing dman making 7-8M (as opposed to 5M if we keep Sammy).

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Byram will take the 1LD spot within 2 years, keep Toews and you'll have a 2nd pairing dman making 7-8M (as opposed to 5M if we keep Sammy).

He's probably ready to take that spot now.

Postseason #s:
1684519041141.png

Obviously Byram will still have growing pains, he's only played 118 NHL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad