Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I like him a lot but don't think we can afford him. He's probably getting $3M+ if I were to guess.
Depends on who we get for our 2C. Trading Girard or Toews clears 4-5M, losing JTC another 3.5M. Landy's LTIR is giving us 7M. If we get a young 2C cost-controlled, that opens up even more for fixing depth, at least short-term. Gotta be cognizant of Rants next deal.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Depends on who we get for our 2C. Trading Girard or Toews clears 4-5M, losing JTC another 3.5M. Landy's LTIR is giving us 7M. If we get a young 2C cost-controlled, that opens up even more for fixing depth, at least short-term. Gotta be cognizant of Rants next deal.

They have options. I don't know if Sakic should have handed over the reigns right after winning. If there is any truth in Cmac getting charged the Cup win tax in trades my bet is Sakic's relationships might have helped a bit, but who knows.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Prediction: History will repeat itself.

Barrie had 1 year left under contract, Makar was going to take his RD spot, Barrie got traded for a 2C with term.

Toews has 1 year left under contract, Byram is going to take his LD spot, Toews will get traded for a 2C with term.
I like your thinking. Toews is way better than Barrie and he got Kadri.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
They have options. I don't know if Sakic should have handed over the reigns right after winning. If there is any truth in Cmac getting charged the Cup win tax in trades my bet is Sakic's relationships might have helped a bit, but who knows.
Yeah, part of me keeps coming back to how CMac was really instrumental in getting the Duchene deal back on track and over the finish line. He's got savvy, but then again if I'm remembering correctly, this was a negotiation that Joe had started that broke down.

Regardless, our pro-scouts have done pretty well the last few years. They've turned chipped beef into SOS and have actually done really well with Nuke, Lehky, Georgiev, etc...

I just don't want an old, slower, past their prime but still decent enough to be better than JTC for a year or two to get the job. I want a kid that is capable but still growing. Or a an established but not overpaid 2C. I imagine the starting cost is Toews and then some. I would atually sell the freaking farm to Arizona for Hayton and Crouse with 800,000 retained. That would bring Crouse down to 3.5M per year. He has no no-movement protection, so when/if Landy does come back he would be rather easy to move to start opening cap space back up if necessary. Same thing if we need the space for Rant's next deal should we be able to afford it.

Trading Toews for Marner is 4 mill out, 11 mill in. Use 3 of Landy’s 7 mill to pay the difference which still leaves them with 4 mill to get a C. Maybe use that 4 mill to sign ROR.

Marner-MacK-Mikko
Lehkonen-ROR-Nuke
That second line would suuuuck. Lehkonen-X-Nuchushkin won't work. You need Lehky and Nuke on separate lines.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, part of me keeps coming back to how CMac was really instrumental in getting the Duchene deal back on track and over the finish line. He's got savvy, but then again if I'm remembering correctly, this was a negotiation that Joe had started that broke down.

Regardless, our pro-scouts have done pretty well the last few years. They've turned chipped beef into SOS and have actually done really well with Nuke, Lehky, Georgiev, etc...

I just don't want an old, slower, past their prime but still decent enough to be better than JTC for a year or two to get the job. I want a kid that is capable but still growing. Or a an established but not overpaid 2C. I imagine the starting cost is Toews and then some. I would atually sell the freaking farm to Arizona for Hayton and Crouse with 800,000 retained. That would bring Crouse down to 3.5M per year. He has no no-movement protection, so when/if Landy does come back he would be rather easy to move to start opening cap space back up if necessary. Same thing if we need the space for Rant's next deal should we be able to afford it.

That second line would suuuuck. Lehkonen-X-Nuchushkin won't work. You need Lehky and Nuke on separate lines.

Yes all day, and I'd be willing to bet both of them would see a bump in production.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

my math was wrong anyway. Marner makes too much for the Avs to afford

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Interesting. I mean Crosby isn’t moving. And Marner doesn’t remotely fill a need.

I'm kinda butt hurt we couldn't make a legit attempt to go after Mier myself. Although I know it wasn't going to happen.

I cannot imagine being a fan of a team trying to get better and watching a young player like that hit the market. Ouch

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm kinda butt hurt we couldn't make a legit attempt to go after Mier myself. Although I know it wasn't going to happen.

I cannot imagine being a fan of a team trying to get better and watching a young player like that hit the market. Ouch
Meier would’ve been nice. But if Byram got moved for a winger… woof. I’d be upset. I’m not opposed to him getting traded but it better solve the 2C spot at least semi long term.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Interesting. I mean Crosby isn’t moving. And Marner doesn’t remotely fill a need.
Marner @50%. Marner is like Kane in his prime. If he's on your 2nd line then the C doesn't matter as much.

The point is, both are extremely unlikely. But if I'm moving Bo for a winger it would have to be one of that caliber. aka we are keeping him.

Reactions: Vk1ing

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Meier would’ve been nice. But if Byram got moved for a winger… woof. I’d be upset. I’m not opposed to him getting traded but it better solve the 2C spot at least semi long term.

I don't like how Toews is trending personally. I think trading him now is a sell high move.

Love his game, he's just off and getting older and more expensive. I don't think trading Byram is smart, even if ultimately he runs his own pair.

So there is very little even including young 2Cs out there that would make me move him.

I'm on the PLD, Hayton, or the dude in Florida I keep getting confused with the other one in Calgary.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Marner @50%. Marner is like Kane in his prime. If he's on your 2nd line then the C doesn't matter as much.

The point is, both are extremely unlikely. But if I'm moving Bo for a winger it would have to be one of that caliber. aka we are keeping him.

That's why I mentioned Meir, about as realistic, but fun to think about.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Vegas:
1C: Eichel
2C: Stevenson

Carolina:
1C: Aho
2C: Kotkaniemi

Dallas:
1C: Hintz
2C: Domi

Florida:
1C: Barkov
2C: Bennett

Proof that we don't need a star 2C to go far in the playoffs. Trying to copy Crosby/Malkin is probably over now, especially with how many times Matthews/Tavares and McDavid/Draisaitl failed.

Dallas' 2C was almost free at the deadline BTW.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Vegas:
1C: Eichel
2C: Stevenson

Carolina:
1C: Aho
2C: Kotkaniemi

Dallas:
1C: Hintz
2C: Domi

Florida:
1C: Barkov
2C: Bennett

Proof that we don't need a star 2C to go far in the playoffs. Trying to copy Crosby/Malkin is probably over now, especially with how many times Matthews/Tavares and McDavid/Draisaitl failed.

Dallas' 2C was almost free at the deadline BTW.
Tbf Barkov/Bennett is a very good 1-2 punch. And Stephenson has been a legit 2C for the last two years. Tbf no ones really asking for a Malkin or Drai to compliment Mack either. The most talked about name to fill the 2C spot this year have been Bennett(and kind of Horvat), not a elite C by any means.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm not sure how much longer Cogs will be able to play. He's had a lot of hard miles but he has been tremendously healthy for the majority of his career.

I like him and if he's cheap, I'd love to have him on the 4th line. But I really hope we can get some better 3rd liners this summer.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I like your thinking. Toews is way better than Barrie and he got Kadri.
So who has a center that was probably not going to get traded but circumstances have changed and also has a few years on their contract? That’s the only way to really parallel the Barrie-Kadri trade. I’m not being a shitass, I just wonder who’s out there that could be a target in that scenario.

I'm not sure how much longer Cogs will be able to play. He's had a lot of hard miles but he has been tremendously healthy for the majority of his career.

I like him and if he's cheap, I'd love to have him on the 4th line. But I really hope we can get some better 3rd liners this summer.
I feel like he’ll be back at least one more year and probably with us. I’d like to see him play 2 more for us and then join the organization in another capacity. I think he’ll be a good one.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So who has a center that was probably not going to get traded but circumstances have changed and also has a few years on their contract? That’s the only way to really parallel the Barrie-Kadri trade. I’m not being a shitass, I just wonder who’s out there that could be a target in that scenario.

I feel like he’ll be back at least one more year and probably with us. I’d like to see him play 2 more for us and then join the organization in another capacity. I think he’ll be a good one.
Yeah, I get the feeling about him that I had about Matt Calvert. He's just a dude that people love being around. Always positive, upbeat and most of all honest, in both the way he plays the game and responds to questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad