Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
You all should go read the main board trade thread for the value of Tom Wilson. Those Caps fans crack me up. Especially the Joker guy

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Jeannot just returned a fortune, Wilson is several steps up offensively, defensively and even from a physical intimidation standpoint
Well he is younger and also it was TB. They have had to overpay the last few years. Don’t get we wrong Wilson is a good unique player about to turn 30. He’s kind of like Landeskog. I would still take Landy though. Also if the Leafs offered up Marner or Matthews you’d be stupid not to take that. Nylander I understand the hesitation but that’s just me. He was the Leafs best forward in the 2nd round but whatever.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah I think the Islanders make sense for a trading partner with us as well... If they're on board with undersized Dmen.

Wahlstrom would be interesting but tbh I'd rather go after Brock Nelson. 2C solution at a reasonable cap hit and while he's north of 30, he's only signed for 2 more years so no long term commitment salary wise.

If Wahlstrom is the centerpiece I'd have to think we're getting another asset or two in the deal. Maybe Wahlstrom + NYI 2nd + some sort of B/C level prospect the Avs like.
If Wahlstrom is the best G can return in trade we are f***ed.

G better be a piece used for a 2C. Maybe if we are getting Nelson along with Wahlstrom I'd start listening.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

G better be a piece used for a 2C. Maybe if we are getting Nelson along with Wahlstrom I'd start listening.
Depends if there is any interest trading a #2C for Sammy G. I doubt GMs are really that excited to offer real value for the midget.

Reactions: AvStock

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well... We're probably f***ed in your words. He's pretty unlikely to get us a 2C after his last 2 years.

Fortunately, we're not actually f***ed. We still have other assets that would be appealing to teams that are trading 2nd line Centers. And we can always trade G for more of those type of assets that can be package for said 2C.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Keep Girard. Maybe trade Toews who is older, will command more $, and will brick back a large boatload
Agreed. While i like Toews, it makes more sense to keep Girard. Toews might be somewhat better player for now, but it may not be true 2 years down the road. We have Byram to replace Toews anyway.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We can't keep Toews after his current contract (and we shouldn't anyway). So if we trade G that means that 2 years from now we'll have Byram, Makar and a bunch of scrubs on D.

If we keep G at least we'll still have 3 top 4 dmen.
You can't think of the team in that regard. If the Avs trade Girard, they're likely re-signing Toews.

They also might think of Behrens as a future 2nd pairing guy on the left side.

You don't keep Girard just because you think you'll lack defensemen in two years.

If there's a team out there willing to give value for him (shocking IMO) you move him immediately.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guys, how much more of a sample size do we need to see to finally recognize that removing Sam Girard from this lineup in the playoffs isn’t the detriment people believe it is.

Look, he’s a great puck moving defenseman. In fact he’s a real good hockey player overall. Problem is, that’s only occurred in the regular season. The playoffs are a different sport plain and simple and Girard has failed there over and over again.

Girard is trade bait. He was trade bait last summer to the point where his teammates expected him gone. He’s a luxury to this team but now the Avs can’t really afford a 5 million dollar luxury. He’s a good player, on a good contract but I feel pretty confident that his time is up to address a bigger need.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
Having 3 top flight LDs was a luxury this team can't afford anymore, and honestly probably shouldn't have done last year with the hole at C. I maintain they wanted to give Newhook the shot and then make a trade if he wasn't working out, and then the C market dried up way more than expected.

Anyways, one LD must go. I really don't care which, as long as we get value in a big trade for a C.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You can't think of the team in that regard. If the Avs trade Girard, they're likely re-signing Toews.
Which we can't do. He's going to ask for 7M+ (just like Byram) and will be old. We aren't keeping 2 LHD making 7-8M each on top of what Makar makes. That just can't happen even if the cap goes way up.

So we can't trade Girard, it's that simple.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Guys, how much more of a sample size do we need to see to finally recognize that removing Sam Girard from this lineup in the playoffs isn’t the detriment people believe it is.
He wasn't terrible in the last playoffs. You need dmen that can eat minutes and Girard can do that. You don't want Hunt, MacDermid and 37 yo JJ to play 15 min a game do you?

Also regular season will be more and more important in the upcoming years. Avs are no longer a sure thing to make the playoffs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He wasn't terrible in the last playoffs. You need dmen that can eat minutes and Girard can do that. You don't want Hunt, MacDermid and 37 yo JJ to play 15 min a game do you?

Also regular season will be more and more important in the upcoming years. Avs are no longer a sure thing to make the playoffs.
There’s a happy medium between Girard and guys like Hunt/Macdermid though. I realize those are the only options right now but there are external options who can play 3rd pairing minutes adequately for 1-5-2.5M.

Trading Girard doesn’t mean we have to dress AHL quality players. It just means we aren’t paying a guy 5M to play on the bottom pair.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
One guy I’d like the Avs to sign (I thought they should have last year) is Janmark. Give him a little bit of term to lower AAV and make him a 4th line staple for 3-4 years who can move up to the third line when absolutely needed.
He’s a bandaid, so he’ll fit right in. Not a bad player, though.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Which we can't do. He's going to ask for 7M+ (just like Byram) and will be old. We aren't keeping 2 LHD making 7-8M each on top of what Makar makes. That just can't happen even if the cap goes way up.

So we can't trade Girard, it's that simple.
Byram is not asking for 7M right now. I feel like you're thinking of these requests and not thinking of the cap rising. You can't keep those two things separate. Rise in cap hits of certain players is accompanied by the rise in salary cap. Yes, it's only going to be 1M next season but there's a strong chance it goes up by several million by the time Byram for example needs a new deal.

So yes, we absolutely can trade Girard for forward help. I don't know why any team would desire him unless they have a Josh Manson-like defender who can be paired with him at all times, but he needs to go. You don't win playoff hockey games with Sam Girards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad