Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
But we need to use that extra cap space on forward depth.

I don't know why you think it's even a remote possibility that we re-sign Toews. It doesn't make sense with Byram taking his place shortly on the first pair, it doesn't make sense with his age and decline (that may have already started) and it doesn't make sense with our cap allocation.

I don't care if we keep Toews as our own rental and let him walk but we aren't re-upping him so unless Behrens can take Girard's minutes we gotta keep him.
Exactly this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But we need to use that extra cap space on forward depth.

I don't know why you think it's even a remote possibility that we re-sign Toews. It doesn't make sense with Byram taking his place shortly on the first pair, it doesn't make sense with his age and decline (that may have already started) and it doesn't make sense with our cap allocation.

I don't care if we keep Toews as our own rental and let him walk but we aren't re-upping him so unless Behrens can take Girard's minutes we gotta keep him.
What are the Avs gonna go out and sign a bunch of 3/4M bottom six players? No. The Avs are going to rely on sub-1M 4th liners and pray a guy like Foudy can make the jump while I bet they target players like Drouin and JVR on the cheap for forward depth.

Why is it not even a remote possibility to re-sign Toews? He is superior to Girard in literally every way and will continue to be likely for the next 3-4 years. You don't keep Girard just because Toews will end up costing a bit more. That's asinine thinking.

The cap is going to go up. Slowly but surely it will, and the Avs will find ways to make it work. But making the team worse out of a fear of cap in the future? Absolutely not. That's a terrible way to continue contending for the next 2-3 years while MacKinnon is playing the best hockey of his career.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The way I see it, Toews is the better defenseman no doubt. But he's going to cost more as well. Okay, I'm fine with paying him more because he's worth it. Uh, one more year and Rants is due for a raise. Can we now afford him while paying the premium for keeping Toews over Girard? You better be sure before trading Girard and losing 2/3 of your LD in two years or ending up having to let Rants go.

There will be cap casualties. There always are. Kadri and Bura were just the first.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Toews is a core player and significantly better than Girard. If Toews wants to stay and asks for a reasonable deal you make that happen. The depth can be shuffled, the key players are great proven winners and need to stay.

Toews doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves. Top pairing all-around Dmen don't grow on trees. The Avs are going to miss Toews big time if he leaves.

The Avs success is built around an elite top line and Dcore. The defense will take a major hit without it's 2nd best player. Makar and Byram have also battled injuries quite a lot over the years.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Toews will be 30 when his contract ends. He'd likely get something between 7 x 7-8 mil ($49-56 mil) on the open market.

There's a decent chance Toews takes a 8 x 6.5 mil (52 mil) contract if the Avs offered it to him. He's worth the $1.5 mil premium over Girard.

6.5 mil sounds little to me. I would be very happy with that. Even if last few years will be painful.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Toews will be 30 when his contract ends. He'd likely get something between 7 x 7-8 mil ($49-56 mil) on the open market.

There's a decent chance Toews takes a 8 x 6.5 mil (52 mil) contract if the Avs offered it to him. He's worth the $1.5 mil premium over Girard.

Fair point and not unthinkable when you consider this is the place where Toews had the most success by far.

People, however, rightfully assuming the big payday might be the biggest motivation. They're also not wrong.

Most would change their tune on keeping him at 6.5. That value would be tremendous - especially once the cap starts going up. However, you're still left with the problem of needing a 2C and trying to find a way to get it. This highlights the need for the Avs to really go after the softer targets like PLD.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
If the Avs trade Toews and roll with Byram Manson and Girard in the top 4 suddenly the Avs defense is no longer a strength. Not horrible but not a strength.

Manson being a recent addition and his NTC makes it not feasible.

Longshot is a blockbuster with Byram.

I don't think Byram has blockbuster trade value right now. He's had a lot of ups and downs and his injury history is concerning.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

Byram for Marner or Toews + Lehkonen for Marner? This is a joke, right? Has Marner ever performed well in the post season? Don't see the Avs touching this.

The Avs have Rantanen. Why would they, especially when the priority should be C?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Byram for Marner or Toews + Lehkonen for Marner? This is a joke, right? Has Marner ever performed well in the post season? Don't see the Avs touching this.

The Avs have Rantanen. Why would they, especially when the priority should be C?
Toronto media navel gazing.

Reactions: lionsDen

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Oh yea sign him until he's 38 because f*** the future right?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

For maybe 12-24 months.

Best route this summer is trade Toews for a 2C while his value is still pretty high. The Avs already have four top-4 defenseman without him.

Reactions: Alienblood

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
lol

T6h3txc.png

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
"Everyone is replaceable as long as you have someone to replace them." The Avs pro scouts have been pretty adroit at targeting hidden gems. If it makes sense to trade both Toews or Girard, it's something that should be considered.

Reactions: Brett44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad