Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There may not be many options. I mean teams won’t just trade away top 6 centers left and right. Maybe PLD is an option but he’s linked to Montreal
There will be tons of options. The Avs can make whatever they need to work, work.

Scheifele is so far down the list of options he shouldn't be considered at all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah but what has McTavish accomplished in Anaheim thus far?

Bo out paced him as a defenseman last year. Playing mostly on the second pair with not much PP time.

Which means he produced that way playing with the black hole of offense below the top line. Pair him with Cale and MacKinnon's line and give him some real PP time and he'll light it up.

2022-23 Pace

McTavish (F) - 17 goals 44 points
Byram (D) - 20 goals 47 points

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
For me we should trade both Girard for young LHD nhl ready like (Samberg,Bolduc Alexeyev, Ferhervary etc.. ) and Toews for 2C like Kuz (33-50%),Hayes(33%-50%), Trocheck or Cirelli.
And Avs can sign a LHD like Soucy or Gavrikov

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Bo out paced him as a defenseman last year. Playing mostly on the second pair with not much PP time.

Which means he produced that way playing with the black hole of offense below the top line. Pair him with Cale and MacKinnon's line and give him some real PP time and he'll light it up.

2022-23 Pace

McTavish (F) - 17 goals 44 points
Byram (D) - 20 goals 47 points

Some context is needed here. McTavish is earlier in his development than Byram.

Byram was drafted in 2019 and McTavish was drafted in 2021. So, last year was McTavish’s 1st year in the NHL, and this was Byram’s 3rd.

Byram also played 7 more minutes per game than McTavish this year. That’s significant. Naturally he’s going to get more opportunity within that.

You’re talking about Byram needing more opportunity, but he had a lot more than McTavish. He barely played with Zegras. I think you look at a 43 point season playing basically 3rd line minutes, that’s pretty damn good.

I think there’s room for growth in both players games, but probably more with McTavish, especially on a second line with Rantanen.

Reactions: Bender

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Be funny if CMac does nothing to address the 2C position again

FWIW, this is exactly what I expect happens this summer.

They probably bring in some third line center (Compher 2.0) and hype him as a 2C while trying to keep the D core together. I have zero faith in Avs management.

I don't think MacFarland has the balls to move either Toews or Byram. I could see him moving on from Girard, but I doubt we get the 2C we all want with Sam Girard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
McTavish is legit... he's likely to be an elite 2C, passable 1C. If you think Byram is going to be a 65-70+ point 1D, I can see how people scoff at it. If you think he's going to be a ~35-40 point 2D... then I don't see how you wouldn't take that swap. The grey is in the middle.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I don’t think McTavish would be a bad return for Byram at all. The kid had a very good rookie year on a horrific team and the dude looks the part of a very very good C. Plus him being on his ELC would be of utmost importance for us with our cap crunch.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
McTavish is legit... he's likely to be an elite 2C, passable 1C. If you think Byram is going to be a 65-70+ point 1D, I can see how people scoff at it. If you think he's going to be a ~35-40 point 2D... then I don't see how you wouldn't take that swap. The grey is in the middle.
I'd bet good money that the Avs plan is having a Makar/Byram first pairing for the next decade. Every other dman is expandable including Toews and Girard.

They just aren't trading him. I know fans believe that the window is about to close but the Avs have shown time and time again that it's not how they see things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd bet good money that the Avs plan is having a Makar/Byram first pairing for the next decade. Every other dman is expandable including Toews and Girard.

They just aren't trading him. I know fans believe that the window is about to close but the Avs have shown time and time again that it's not how they see things.

I'd bet money on that too... but I don't know how it will work long term. Byram has to settle his game down for it to work for a whole season.

Now the just not trading him... he was almost traded already. Avs have dabbled with it before. I don't think they see him as completely untouchable. They just want a star level player to do so. I'd also agree they don't see the window closing soon... no team at this stage ever does and they make decisions to their detriment. They take a 4-5 year look instead of a 2 year and they don't push enough chips in the middle.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There will be tons of options. The Avs can make whatever they need to work, work.

Scheifele is so far down the list of options he shouldn't be considered at all.
Not sure about tons of options. Teams aren’t just gonna give up a top 6 center for nothing. Gotta have the assets for one, then gotta look at term, also availability. Available centers like Scheifele or PLD will cost less than the one you really want but he’s not on trading block.

Let’s say the Avs really want Lindholm just for example and for all we know he’s not on trading block, you gotta make Calgary such a big offer for them to consider trading Lindholm where someone like Scheifele will cost you less

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Every single season a few top 6 centers move teams... they may not be the most ideal candidates, they may not have term, they might be paid too much... but every single season they move. The Avs can get a 2C if they choose to do so.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Every single season a few top 6 centers move teams... they may not be the most ideal candidates, they may not have term, they might be paid too much... but every single season they move. The Avs can get a 2C if they choose to do so.
I'd revisit the JT Miller option. Canucks were reportedly willing to trade him to Pittsburgh at the last deadline so he's still available.

They are keeping EP and he's going to want a lot of money, I could see them moving Miller this summer.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn’t mind Miller but that term is pretty long and he’s 30 at 8 mill per

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The "I don't trust Avs Management" comments are hilarious.

The same Avs Management that won a Stanley Cup just one year ago, made the necessary trades for guys like Kadri, Toews, Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Manson, Grubauer, Kuemper, Georgiev, Cogliano, etc. when they had to, and found/signed guys like Nuke, Aube-Kubel, O'Conner, etc. that no one else wanted.

But hey, they didn't make any big moves at this year's deadline, or trade for a 2C this past off-season, so now they suck and don't know what they are doing!

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
If Miller comes cheap (assets wise), I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's still really good, and while the back half of his deal will suck, it won't matter anymore for this current core.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Would Vancouver be willing to retain 1.5-2m?

It seems doubtful. J.T. Miller's 7 year, $56M extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

If Vancouver is willing to eat upwards of $14M (25%) of that deal, it means they're desperate to get rid of him. And if they are, other teams should proceed with extreme caution IMO.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think the Canucks would retain, but Miller age and contract are very similar to Landy's.

Basically, Canucks were looking for 2 first round picks or a young center and a 1st rounder.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
1683912178358.png

1683912236030.png

LTIR Lando. Pretty safe bet Nuke is not on the opening day roster cap hit, either due to contract being voided or some sort of LTIR/Recovery/Suspension. Give or take on some of the contracts, the Avs would have 3.4-4 million in cap space-ish.

Trade for Scheifele - Newhook, 2023 1st, another conditional pick based on playoffs/re-signing Scheifele or something ish type package.

Take your pick of the various reclamation project forwards, but go get a few guys like Drouin, Monahan, van Riemsdyk on 1-2 year deals, no long term commits. Where they ultimately slot would be up for debate and chemistry. They don't need to be world beaters, just guys that can chip in. You hope that 2 of the 3 work out and are in the 30-40 point producing range. Think a few ERod type swings - perhaps one is ERod if he is willing to do the right type of deal.

Re-sign Nieto, Eller, and Cogs (if healthy) up front, but the goal would really be to have those guys all bump down to full time 4th liners, not by defacto be the 3rd line.

Path for one of the younger forwards to be given a serious shot at the 2nd line. Nuke maybe? slots in there at some point. If Nuke is gone all year, Landy is still very much in flux, and one of the kids does not look like a real option, you address that at the deadline.

Bridge Byram. Keep the rest of the top five. I honestly would be OK with keeping both the Johnsons as the 6/7 guys, but otherwise slot in your pick of vet depth D men on near minimum contracts.

Find 2-3 other veteran AHL/NHL tweeners - maybe 1-2 more college UFAs -- to give some additional call up depth to the forward and D core. Few of the other kids/prospects might get some chances too.

IF Nuke gets to be a real option for returning in-season, you look to confront that with moving a D man. Toews, Girard, Manson, perhaps even Byram. Might even be able to make it work with some creative use of other injuries, moving on from one of the guys signed in the summer, or other cap shenanigans.

Perfect world, Lando comes back for game 1 of playoffs. Next year, if Lando is healthy and Nuke is back, you move on from the vet/tweener players and Toews walks.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
View attachment 707249
View attachment 707250

LTIR Lando. Pretty safe bet Nuke is not on the opening day roster cap hit, either due to contract being voided or some sort of LTIR/Recovery/Suspension. Give or take on some of the contracts, the Avs would have 3.4-4 million in cap space-ish.

Trade for Scheifele - Newhook, 2023 1st, another conditional pick based on playoffs/re-signing Scheifele or something ish type package.

Take your pick of the various reclamation project forwards, but go get a few guys like Drouin, Monahan, van Riemsdyk on 1-2 year deals, no long term commits. Where they ultimately slot would be up for debate and chemistry. They don't need to be world beaters, just guys that can chip in. You hope that 2 of the 3 work out and are in the 30-40 point producing range. Think a few ERod type swings - perhaps one is ERod if he is willing to do the right type of deal.

Re-sign Nieto, Eller, and Cogs (if healthy) up front, but the goal would really be to have those guys all bump down to full time 4th liners, not by defacto be the 3rd line.

Path for one of the younger forwards to be given a serious shot at the 2nd line. Nuke maybe? slots in there at some point. If Nuke is gone all year, Landy is still very much in flux, and one of the kids does not look like a real option, you address that at the deadline.

Bridge Byram. Keep the rest of the top five. I honestly would be OK with keeping both the Johnsons as the 6/7 guys, but otherwise slot in your pick of vet depth D men on near minimum contracts.

Find 2-3 other veteran AHL/NHL tweeners - maybe 1-2 more college UFAs -- to give some additional call up depth to the forward and D core. Few of the other kids/prospects might get some chances too.

IF Nuke gets to be a real option for returning in-season, you look to confront that with moving a D man. Toews, Girard, Manson, perhaps even Byram. Might even be able to make it work with some creative use of other injuries, moving on from one of the guys signed in the summer, or other cap shenanigans.

Perfect world, Lando comes back for game 1 of playoffs. Next year, if Lando is healthy and Nuke is back, you move on from the vet/tweener players and Toews walks.

If nuke is in rehab, he’s going to be fine come training camp.

The "I don't trust Avs Management" comments are hilarious.

The same Avs Management that won a Stanley Cup just one year ago, made the necessary trades for guys like Kadri, Toews, Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Manson, Grubauer, Kuemper, Georgiev, Cogliano, etc. when they had to, and found/signed guys like Nuke, Aube-Kubel, O'Conner, etc. that no one else wanted.

But hey, they didn't make any big moves at this year's deadline, or trade for a 2C this past off-season, so now they suck and don't know what they are doing!

Wait until they just sign compher as the 2C again. See you how you feel then.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd revisit the JT Miller option. Canucks were reportedly willing to trade him to Pittsburgh at the last deadline so he's still available.

They are keeping EP and he's going to want a lot of money, I could see them moving Miller this summer.

I don't know how "willing" they've been to trade him. Yes, there was talk of him going to Pittsburgh but apparently Vancouver wanted something pretty substantial in return because "they're not rebuilding."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad