Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pretty safe bet Nuke is not on the opening day roster cap hit, either due to contract being voided or some sort of LTIR/Recovery/Suspension. Give or take on some of the contracts, the Avs would have 3.4-4 million in cap space-ish.
I hope you're not expecting the Avs to spend Nuke's cap hit on someone else

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I hope you're not expecting the Avs to spend Nuke's cap hit on someone else

I 100% expect Nuke to be placed on some sort of cap exempt leave, Robidas island, or be voided. There is no way the league/Avs does not try to hide Nuke as long as they can to keep the story away.

I also 100% expect the Avs go spend at least part of that cleared cap space on players.

There is perhaps a path for Nuke to come back, and maybe the contract is not outright voided and he comes back along with his hit. But I highly doubt the NHL wants to be fielding questions on the player until they are damn sure he is a safe/non newsworthy player again. They will find some loophole to temporarily ban/hide the player. And that will clear cap space - if only for part of the season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I 100% expect Nuke to be placed on some sort of cap exempt leave, Robidas island, or be voided. There is no way the league/Avs does not try to hide Nuke as long as they can to keep the story away.

I also 100% expect the Avs go spend at least part of that cleared cap space on players.

There is perhaps a path for Nuke to come back, and maybe the contract is not outright voided and he comes back along with his hit. But I highly doubt the NHL wants to be fielding questions on the player until they are damn sure he is a safe/non newsworthy player again. They will find some loophole to temporarily ban/hide the player. And that will clear cap space - if only for part of the season.
The chances Nuke starts opening night are significantly higher than him being Robidas’d

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I like JT Miller. I know he might be asshole but something about the Nucks as a whole seems toxic. Not sure its all on Miller or what. Miller is similar to Lindholm in which he plays in all situations. One difference that might matter is Miller is a lefty and that might give Bedsy more options on draws on certain situations. Personally cant go wrong with Miller or Lindholm imo I guess it will come down to cost. The Avs have to get a 2C this season no more f***in around with Compher.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

There's no way that's happening, especially not after what CMac has said at the last presser about wanting Nuke to stay with the Avs for many more years.

He may or may not be there on day 1 but his cap hit will 100% be there.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
The "I don't trust Avs Management" comments are hilarious.

The same Avs Management that won a Stanley Cup just one year ago, made the necessary trades for guys like Kadri, Toews, Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Manson, Grubauer, Kuemper, Georgiev, Cogliano, etc. when they had to, and found/signed guys like Nuke, Aube-Kubel, O'Conner, etc. that no one else wanted.

But hey, they didn't make any big moves at this year's deadline, or trade for a 2C this past off-season, so now they suck and don't know what they are doing!
It can be true that they assembled a cup roster and also bungled finding appropriate depth and 2C last off-season/TDL. One of those is more recent and stings. Especially when you look at what Carolina is doing without some of their top guns.

Sports in general are a very "what have you done for me lately?" mentality, which may or may not be fair. But I totally understand the mindset of being frustrated at CMac. I really hope he makes the right moves this summer

Reactions: AvStock

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

The same Avs Management that won a Stanley Cup just one year ago, made the necessary trades for guys like Kadri, Toews, Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Manson, Grubauer, Kuemper, Georgiev, Cogliano, etc. when they had to, and found/signed guys like Nuke, Aube-Kubel, O'Conner, etc. that no one else wanted.

But hey, they didn't make any big moves at this year's deadline, or trade for a 2C this past off-season, so now they suck and don't know what they are doing!
How dare you?!

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
There's no way that's happening, especially not after what CMac has said at the last presser about wanting Nuke to stay with the Avs for many more years.

He may or may not be there on day 1 but his cap hit will 100% be there.
He hopes yes, but if he's not available by December at the latest they aren't going to wait around.

Nuke will either be on the roster or his caphit will be available. There's no way they go into next season with 6.5M of dead cap space knowingly.

Miller is a great player, but unfortunately I hope they stay away. Also not confident he would gel with MacKinnon, two strong personalities. Plus just not a guy I'd want to play with or cheer for.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
"When players are suspended for on-ice events, this is considered "supplemental discipline" and their cap hit still counts against the cap while they're suspended. When they're suspended for off-ice events, like with Austin Watson (domestic violence) and Nate Schmidt (failed drug test), they do not count against the Cap during their suspension (CBA Section 50.10.c)." Team Cap Hit for Suspensions | Puckpedia

If he is still dealing with things, the team will suspend him. And possibly find a way to still pay him to not run into issues with the union depending on the severity of what else happened other than the drugs/alcohol.

Again, maybe you don't spend it all. You leave just enough that you might be able to fiddle with the salary cap and make everything thing work mid year-ish.

I hope I am wrong, for everyone involved, but I think Nuke is out at least until December. 6 months for a true rehab at the least. 2-3 months of away from the team, isolation, getting treatment. Few more getting back into life and getting right with life. Then a month or two of conditioning, getting right with the team.

I still would not be shocked to see the Avs find a way to dump his contract this summer, either to Arizona or through voiding his contract.

I am all for the team supporting Nuke if he is truly not guilty of anything vile. But if he is remotely connected to it, cut him lose.

Hockey needs to cut this kind of culture out with a hacksaw. The time for silence and forgetting about it is over. Part of that CAN be helping a guy and bringing him back....but it could also be saying NOPE and getting the guy help while also him losing his right to play NHL hockey.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
"When players are suspended for on-ice events, this is considered "supplemental discipline" and their cap hit still counts against the cap while they're suspended. When they're suspended for off-ice events, like with Austin Watson (domestic violence) and Nate Schmidt (failed drug test), they do not count against the Cap during their suspension (CBA Section 50.10.c)." Team Cap Hit for Suspensions | Puckpedia

If he is still dealing with things, the team will suspend him. And possibly find a way to still pay him to not run into issues with the union depending on the severity of what else happened other than the drugs/alcohol.
Unless you know something we don’t you’re wayyyyy overthinking this.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Unless you know something we don’t you’re wayyyyy overthinking this.

Guy left the team in the middle of the playoffs for the defending cup champs who were leaning towards winning a series, with a connection to a dangerously drunk girl, possibly drugged and got slipped something, who is probably? a Russian/Ukrainian sexy worker. He disappeared from the face of the earth after being whisked away by "security" - whatever that means.

"Best" case he has a drug/alcohol problem. And I hate the word "best" there, but its the word to use. I feel for the guy if that's all he is involved in and support his recovery if the rest is actually not true.

Some police/fire department involvement, though nothing formal.

Fair or not. Russia, Russia, Russia.

Few grumblings and speculations about a previous absence of this player and some rumors of perhaps him not 100% vibing in the room this year - very speculative.

League/sport is dealing with a few different scandals around issues that were covered up/ignored as well as directly tied to sexual abuse.

Team has not exactly loved to talk about it and has given little details other than "we hope" type conversations.

Some very strong personalities in the room about how people treat their bodies - Mac - and a few others that REALLY take winning seriously.

No sign or word from the guy since any of this started.

Avs have to be thinking about how do we get out of having him around the team to start the year. If not more.

Could he be back on day 1 of camp. Yeah. Will he be? I doubt it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Guy left the team in the middle of the playoffs for the defending cup champs who were leaning towards winning a series, with a connection to a dangerously drunk girl, possibly drugged and got slipped something, who is probably? a Russian/Ukrainian sexy worker. He disappeared from the face of the earth after being whisked away by "security" - whatever that means.

"Best" case he has a drug/alcohol problem. And I hate the word "best" there, but its the word to use. I feel for the guy if that's all he is involved in and support his recovery if the rest is actually not true.

Some police/fire department involvement, though nothing formal.

Fair or not. Russia, Russia, Russia.

Few grumblings and speculations about a previous absence of this player and some rumors of perhaps him not 100% vibing in the room this year - very speculative.

League/sport is dealing with a few different scandals around issues that were covered up/ignored as well as directly tied to sexual abuse.

Team has not exactly loved to talk about it and has given little details other than "we hope" type conversations.

Some very strong personalities in the room about how people treat their bodies - Mac - and a few others that REALLY take winning seriously.

No sign or word from the guy since any of this started.

Avs have to be thinking about how do we get out of having him around the team to start the year. If not more.

Could he be back on day 1 of camp. Yeah. Will he be? I doubt it.
I mean they didn’t even rule him out for the rest of the playoffs? Realistically the dude probably has some substance abuse issues and he probably goes to rehab this summer and is back to start the year. If something that serious happened there would’ve been a police investigation by now.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With Kuznetsov basically asking out of Washington, the Nuke thing is really bad timing.

Perfect 2C on paper but I really don't see the Avs bringing in a player with his history now, especially not a Russian one.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

I trust Joe Sakic. Just not Cmac. I know they said "nothing will really change" but something obviously changed.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I trust Joe Sakic. Just not Cmac. I know they said "nothing will really change" but something obviously changed.
IMO, nothing was/is really different. I mean, their cap situation obviously changed this year. After signing everyone in the offseason, they had no real room to add a 2C. That obviously didn't work. I mean, you could argue that they should have let Manson walk and kept Kadri, but at the time no one knew Mason would suffer a bad injury that basically cost him 3/4 of the season, just like no one knew Nuke's ankle would blow up and plague him all season long, or that they would have such a horrible season with injuries as a whole. Add the uncertainty of Landy playing/not playing hampering their ability to make a move at the deadline (Everyone here knows they weren't going to "cheat" the system by putting Landy on LTIR, ala Vegas with Mark Stone, so not knowing he wasn't going to play until April didn't help), and you get what we got.

After losing in round 1, knowing that Newhook can't handle the 2C spot, JTC has likely priced himself out of town, and Landy will for sure miss all of next year, I fully expect them to be more aggressive in pursuing a 2C.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
IMO, nothing was/is really different. I mean, their cap situation obviously changed this year. After signing everyone in the offseason, they had no real room to add a 2C. That obviously didn't work. I mean, you could argue that they should have let Manson walk and kept Kadri, but at the time no one knew Mason would suffer a bad injury that basically cost him 3/4 of the season, just like no one knew Nuke's ankle would blow up and plague him all season long, or that they would have such a horrible season with injuries as a whole. Add the uncertainty of Landy playing/not playing hampering their ability to make a move at the deadline (Everyone here knows they weren't going to "cheat" the system by putting Landy on LTIR, ala Vegas with Mark Stone, so not knowing he wasn't going to play until April didn't help), and you get what we got.

After losing in round 1, knowing that Newhook can't handle the 2C spot, JTC has likely priced himself out of town, and Landy will for sure miss all of next year, I fully expect them to be more aggressive in pursuing a 2C.
MacK's comments about when he knew Landy was done for the season makes me believe they knew they could have used Landsy LTIR money. We had two 1st's and could have found someone for the the 2nd line. Maybe with Nuke and a healthy Manson we could have beat Seattle, but without a 2C it wouldn't have mattered in the end. It was a complete waste of a year of our cup window. Now our core is a year older and our sweetheart deals, (MacK, Bo, eRod, Toews) are dead or about to expire. f***ing up this TDL has set us back by a large margin and it will take some wizardry to get us in a position to strike again.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Throw another solid piece with Newhook+1st and get 1-1.5 retention on JT Miller.
1M retention = 7M for the whole 7 years

We know from past trades that 6M = 1st rounder...so 7M would cost us an extra 1st or more.

Here's the thing...if Miller from age 30 to 37 is going to cost us that much in assets then it makes management look very bad for not keeping Kadri. He wasn't that much older, contract was cheaper and would cost no asset.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Throw another solid piece with Newhook+1st and get 1-1.5 retention on JT Miller.
I just can't see Vancouver retaining anything on Miller for the next 8 years. That's a lot to ask. If anything, because of his contract, it might drive the price to acquire him down. Personally, I would rather try for someone else besides Miller. That dude got paid, and then his effort level at times this season was less than ideal. Add that to the known issues he caused in their locker room, and that he has a NMC over the full 8 years of the deal, and I'd just stay away.

Here's a question that IDK if anyone knows the answer to, when you retain on a contract, does it have to be over the length of the deal? Like, could you get a team to retain a specified amount over x-amount of years, and then the cap hit becomes full after that?

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I just can't see Vancouver retaining anything on Miller for the next 8 years. That's a lot to ask. If anything, because of his contract, it might drive the price to acquire him down. Personally, I would rather try for someone else besides Miller. That dude got paid, and then his effort level at times this season was less than ideal. Add that to the known issues he caused in their locker room, and that he has a NMC over the full 8 years of the deal, and I'd just stay away.

Here's a question that IDK if anyone knows the answer to, when you retain on a contract, does it have to be over the length of the deal? Like, could you get a team to retain a specified amount over x-amount of years, and then the cap hit becomes full after that?

Looks like it has to be for the whole contract. No piece-meal retention.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad