Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That deal would be fine, but Byram will see that as long term. IMO 2x5 is too much for what he’s shown. Potential, yeah sure… but Avs don’t have the cap to really pay for potential.
I agree that if it's 1 or 2 years it can't be 5M+. Rants must be re-upped in 2 years and Makar in 4 years.

The sweet spot for Byram is probably 3 years.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m cool with a bridge for Byram as long as he stays under team control when the deal expires.

If he earns a fat extension on his next deal, I’d gladly give him that. I don’t feel he’s earned $5M unless it’s on a 5+ year deal.

He didn’t take as large of a step forward as I thought he would this year, but still a good player with plenty of upside.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Trade his ass if he becomes a problem to negotiate with. He’s really not shown anything special to this point in his career. Someone will still value him highly.

Agreed 100%.

He should carry a lot of value and the Avs simply can't afford to pay him based on his potential if that's what he is looking for. Especially given his injury history as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Especially defensively quite frankly. His offense is mostly fine and there's really not much more upside to his game on that front, at least not on the Avs.

But he needs to be a lot better Defensively. A lot better.
Personally, I think Byram’s insistence on trying to be a difference maker offensively and constantly leaving the zone and jumping out of position hurts his defense. In junior he could skate back and be fine… in the NHL is gets exposed some times. He’s also a pretty big watcher of the play. I’d like the see his game calm down and focus on his defensive skill set. It won’t happen, but… I think that’s how you get the best out of him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It's crazy to me that some people would prefer to trade away Toews going forward. Especially when you consider that the Avs are in their window for now and the short-term future.

He may not have had a great year compared to the year before but I thought for the most part, he was good and was a top pairing quality defender. When Makar was out, he was leaned on heavily and played well. Put it this way, there are a lot of teams out there that would take his 'off-year' in a heartbeat, if you could even call it that.

I don't think you trade away a guy like that especially when the guys behind him - while good in a middle pairing role - have not shown that they can fill in that spot on the top pair.

I do believe that they probably have tried to sign Byram and the reason he remains unsigned is probably a major reason why they held onto Sammy G.

There may be a situation where - what Byram could get you in a trade outweighs the risk in signing him to a bridge and then potential long-term deal. If his camp won't recognize that a max of 42 regular season games in any season so far is not enough to warrant top dollar, then the Avs could be better off moving him for a #2C.

In an ideal world, you keep Toews and Byram signs for something reasonable and you probably move out Sammy G.

I thought he had a great turnaround in the 2nd half of the season but was kind of a non-factor in the playoffs. Still, I could see him having value throughout the league even though a lot of people on here seem to think he's a cap dump.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I’d do what I could to keep Toews… next year is a prime contention year where there may not be many left and having him makes the team better.

I agree, that's where a chunk of Landeskog's cap hit should go.

Toews is currently a top-10 defenseman in the NHL, and Colorado's best chance to win again is in the next 2-3 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, that's where a chunk of Landeskog's cap hit should go.

Toews is currently a top-10 defenseman in the NHL, and Colorado's best chance to win again is in the next 2-3 years.
I wouldn’t go top 10. 25-40 range sure. But yeah keep him as long as is reasonable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From Injury thread:
I thought JTC was far from bad, but he's not a 2C on this team and may be able to get a 2C salary elsewhere. If he wants that, let him walk and thank him for his services. If he's willing to come back as a 3C with a 3C salary welcome him back with open arms.

JTC was very good after Jost was traded, throughout the playoffs, and the first half of this season, but after that, and into the playoffs this year, for some reason he reverted back to zero intensity Compher that's invisible for most of the game.

I think it just makes sense for both parties to go their separates ways. He'll get a good deal on the open market and the Avs can use his money to help retool the roster with a different player that's more of a consistent presence thoroughout the season.

It's too bad because the Compher from last years playoffs is a very well rounded versatile player that helps the team in a lot of ways. The kind of player we thought we were getting years ago. Unfortunately he just rarely plays that way.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
assuming both Lando and Nuke go to LTIR the whole season:

trade both Girard and Toews (plus Newjost, our 1st, some prospects...) and bring two top 6 players (center and winger). think something like McMichael and Marchment.

sign Orlov, Kane and Toews (the real one. intangibles!).

re-sign ERod if he is willing to take less money to stay. also keep Nieto because he is a Long Beach native. sign also some third pairing defensive D for league minimum.

Lehky - Mack - Rantanen
trade - trade - Kane
ERod - Toews - LOC
Nieto - Meyers - whatever

Byram - Makar
Orlov - Manson
Hunt - someone

George
Big Ann

the Cup is ours. again. :D

• Wow
Reactions: shadow1

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What kind of contract is Brian Doumlin going to get this summer? He's 31, made 4.1M last season. He went 1-24-25, had 1400 minutes of TOI at 5v5 and had a 51.41 xGF%. Dom's got him valued at 3.7M.

Reason I'm asking is if we move one of our LDs for one of the cheap RFA C's...like Hayton. There would actually be enough cap savings to build back some depth (short term contracts of course). I was wondering if he would be a fit, especially if we are having Malinsky make the jump, since that's probably who I'd pair him with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What kind of contract is Brian Doumlin going to get this summer? He's 31, made 4.1M last season. He went 1-24-25, had 1400 minutes of TOI at 5v5 and had a 51.41 xGF%. Dom's got him valued at 3.7M.

Reason I'm asking is if we move one of our LDs for one of the cheap RFA C's...like Hayton. There would actually be enough cap savings to build back some depth (short term contracts of course). I was wondering if he would be a fit, especially if we are having Malinsky make the jump, since that's probably who I'd pair him with.
I think he gets a comparable to Manson… it’ll age just about as well. You might get one or two good seasons, then it goes south. The one or two good, might be excellent top 4 excellent compliment though… so pro/con

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think he gets a comparable to Manson… it’ll age just about as well. You might get one or two good seasons, then it goes south. The one or two good, might be excellent top 4 excellent compliment though… so pro/con
So price and term, as always, are the key. I mean, even trading Toews, he'd be our 3LD with Byram and Girard above him. But he would be excellent injury insurance, he played all 82 games last season, which was *checks notes* considerably more than Byram.

I've been playing with some different ideas on capfriendly. Unfortunately, the really fun ones probably require getting Armstrong drunk as a barrel full of monkeys prior to coughing up both Hayton and Crouse for his choice of Toews/Girard, Newhook and 2 1sts.

Reactions: UncleRisto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad