Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Just read the tea leaves, people. 20 years ago the playing future of our Swedish hunk was in question and we surprisingly signed two veteran teammates for a Cup run.

Now once again a Swedish hunk has major questions about his playing future and obviously we are going to sign Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane to one year deals as they try for one last Cup together. Also we will sign Monahan and Drouin.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually like Monahan as a 3C option. Shouldn't be expensive and when he played he was pretty effective for Montreal last year.

That said, given our injury history and given Monahan's injury history, that could be a perfect match for another training camp injury and miss the entire season sort of deal.

Money should prioritized to 2 and 3C.

Agreed. Throw Foudy into the Top 6 winger spot and see what he can do with it. This teams only chance at success moving forward is by building an extremely deep group of Centers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I actually like Monahan as a 3C option. Shouldn't be expensive and when he played he was pretty effective for Montreal last year.

That said, given our injury history and given Monahan's injury history, that could be a perfect match for another training camp injury and miss the entire season sort of deal.

Agreed. Throw Foudy into the Top 6 winger spot and see what he can do with it. This teams only chance at success moving forward is by building an extremely deep group of Centers.
I’d start with Newhook as a top 6 winger. Avs can afford 2m for him and if he clicks there… you might have a 20g 45a 2nd line winger.

Getting a 2C is essential. A 3C in addition would be ideal.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
What are the chances we can lowball Newhook into a decent contract and he fill a top 6 wing position? Might be our best option if he can fill that role

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Caps fans think our 2023 1st for Kuz would be a fair trade.

EDIT: To expand on this further...

- Trade our 2023 1st for Kuznetsov with $800k retained(So that he makes exactly $7M for us).
- Girard for Mittelstadt

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
???? - Kuz - Nuke
???? - Mittelstadt - ????
???? - Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
???? - ????
Hunt - MacDermid

George
Frank

If they did all of that, they'd have $9.75M in cap space leftover to fill the rest of the roster. I'd start Malinski as the 3RD and grab a veteran LD in free agency to partner with him for ~$1.5-2M. Then have about $7M left for the 4 forward slots. If you sign Newhook to a $2M deal to be the 2nd line winger, $5M left for 2 3rd line wingers and a 4th line winger would be enough to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Caps fans think our 2023 1st for Kuz would be a fair trade.

They should also trade for Vrana and put him, Kuznetsov, and Nichushkin all in the same hotel room.

Talk about an "Avalanche"...
cold-snow.gif

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I agree that I'd still explore trading Girard/Toews, and filling their spot with a guy like Orlov/Gavrikov/Soucy or someone cheaper like Mikkola or Kulikov. A lot of next depends on Manson's and Nuke's status too. Mayfield would be another good option.

Bottom line is that with Bo one of those 2 are a luxury, and if we can trade one and recoup a part if not all of that loss on the 3rd pair via free agency we should. If we can save, money, even better. Will add to the 7M lost from Landeskog.

our trading chips are 1st, Newhook, Toews/Girard. We could keep Newhook too as some have mentioned, but given the cap space we should be able to fill some holes at 2C/3C while getting cheap replacement wingers like JVR/Parise/etc. I expect the forward group to look a lot different next season.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
When MacFarland was asked about Eagles players making the team next year he doesn't even mention Foudy.

He mentions Meyers and the free agents. and Annunen . Strange no mention of Foudy unless he slipped his mind

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007

Here's what I just put together.
I don't love spending 5.25M of our limited capspace on Mittelstadt and Engvall. Maybe one of the 2, but too many question marks there for me. Prefer more of a sure thing, especially a guy that can be trusted to move up in the lineup if need be. Mainly because we are relying on Newhook on line 2.

If we include Newhook in that, it's 7.25M on 3 roster positions. Give me one 4-5M sure-fire not injury-prone player and 2 guys with upside around 1-2M instead. Newy could still be one of those guys.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I don't love spending 5.25M of our limited capspace on Mittelstadt and Engvall. Maybe one of the 2, but too many question marks there for me. Prefer more of a sure thing, especially a guy that can be trusted to move up in the lineup if need be.

What are the question marks? They’ve both performed very well in 3rd line roles, with limited PP time. That would be an unbelievable upgrade to our depth scoring.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
What are the question marks? They’ve both performed very well in 3rd line roles, with limited PP time. That would be an unbelievable upgrade to our depth scoring.
track record? they've only performed at a high level for 1 season (or less than). We have no idea what Mittlestadt looks like in the POs and I can't recall anything from Engvall that tells me he'd be a huge help there either./

Killorn is a guy I'd target. I'd kick tires on Zucker too, but he's got an injury history. Connor Brown is an interesting name. I'd bring Eller back at the right price. Toews and Monahan are also viable options IMO, especially since I don;t have much faith in Meyers at 4C

I'd fill out 2 of those spots with reliable vets that I mentioned and one mix of youth. That could be Newy, a guy like Comtois, etc.

This is just based off this roster though. I'd probably target Scheifele over Kuz (depending on price)

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
The one thing we cannot do is let McDermid occupy a roster spot. If he's never going to be an option come playoff time, waive his ass and bring someone in that can contribute.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nuke (fingers crossed)
Lehkonen - Kuznetsov (1st rounder) - Rantanen
Killorn - Eller/(Girard trade) - Rodrigues/(Girard trade)
Lemieux Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson (fingers crossed)
Kulikov - Malinski
JJ

Trade 1st to get Kuz, trade Girard for cap space, a 3rd line C or W and recoup some futures to add more at the deadline.

Last edited:

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
You should probably take a look at Brown and Zucker’s playoff stats before identifying them as guys with good track records.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Can I keep pounding the table for McTavish?

Anaheim drafts Fantilli and can run him and Zegras at 1/2C.

Their defence still sucks though. Give us McTavish and will give up Byram. Then the Avs still have boat loads of cap space to supplement the D core and forward group.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I actually think not trading a Dman would be a big mistake still. We don't need 3 Top 4LD. And Landy's $7M won't be enough to get a 2C and get a replacement Top 6 winger for Landy either.

IMO they still need to trade a Dman but given CMacs brief history with us I doubt he trades one now.

I think we're done. Probably time to start hanging onto 1st round picks so we don't end up trading a Top 10 pick away.
Agree on the we should trade a d man.
Highly doubt a top 10 pick is coming in the next 3-5 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The one thing we cannot do is let McDermid occupy a roster spot. If he's never going to be an option come playoff time, waive his ass and bring someone in that can contribute.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nuke (fingers crossed)
Lehkonen - Kuznetsov (1st rounder) - Rantanen
Killorn - Eller/(Girard trade) - Rodrigues/(Girard trade)
Lemieux Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson (fingers crossed)
Kulikov - Malinski
JJ

Trade 1st to get Kuz, trade Girard for cap space, a 3rd line C or W and recoup some futures to add more at the deadline.

There's no chance they have the cap space for Killorn. And we certainly shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a 3rd line winger.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I don't love spending 5.25M of our limited capspace on Mittelstadt and Engvall. Maybe one of the 2, but too many question marks there for me. Prefer more of a sure thing, especially a guy that can be trusted to move up in the lineup if need be. Mainly because we are relying on Newhook on line 2.

If we include Newhook in that, it's 7.25M on 3 roster positions. Give me one 4-5M sure-fire not injury-prone player and 2 guys with upside around 1-2M instead. Newy could still be one of those guys.
Killorn will be 34 to start next year.

How about nylander?
He has been invisible for the Leaves. Maybe he just needs a fresh start but I have always been skeptical of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad