Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Norris is not a 1C and has had two major shoulder surgeries in the last year. He is far from a sure thing health wise and is more of a 2C, especially with Stutzle taking over.
I expect Stuztle to reach prime Mackinnon level in 2 years. He's that good.

Norris was their 1C in 2021-22 and scored 35 goals in 66 games. He's obviously behind Stutzle but he's still a low level 1C or elite 2C (he's better than, say, Kadri). I don't think there are concerns about him coming back at 100% after his last surgery.

Also Girard isn't supposed to replace Hamonic, he's supposed to help them make the playoffs. He makes their D significantly better.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Timmins and Helleson aren't much to you for whatever reason but those were premium prospects. It's also strange you put the value of a 1st round pick as who the Avs would select instead of, you know, just a straight up 1st round pick.

Very odd.

I’m putting value on the avs assets as to what they would do with them if they weren’t traded, seems pretty logical to me. They decide not to trade them and what happens after? They draft a shit player.. timmins can’t stick to an nhl roster anywhere although I did like him and helleson is alright. My point is and always was that we went “all in” and couldn’t do it again this year because we draft horribly so we have no blue chip prospects and don’t like trading 1sts for rentals.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Spelling.

You’ll survive buddy.

Timmins was damaged goods who had no chance of getting a starting slot on a team with Makar, Byram, Toews and Girard. I don't know why this board always thought he was worth so much and it's dismaying to see this continue when he's been gone for two years.

Gone two years and incapable of landing a role anywhere.

Reactions: Alienblood

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
The playoffs are difficult for even the best teams that go all in at the deadline (Tampa, Boston, NYR).

Mortgaging the future for 1 shot at the cup isn't something an intelligent GM would do.

Would you mortgage your house and put it all on a roulette spin?

Those odds are 50/50, which is a lot higher than any odds an NHL team has at a cup.
I don’t think anything was mortgaged look at Colorado and all the years of never going all in and wasting those pucks on players not on the team. They’ll be fine

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Watching the games now. It's pretty clear we didn't stand a chance this season in the playoffs. We lacked motivation/drive whatever. You can't win without work ethic. Simple as that.

Other teams have the drive we lacked

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Watching the games now. It's pretty clear we didn't stand a chance this season in the playoffs. We lacked motivation/drive whatever. You can't win without work ethic. Simple as that.

Other teams have the drive we lacked

We were also missing 3 keys players from our roster. And for all the feces he gets around here, Manson in the playoffs is a difference maker.

Plus it is clear that more than a few guys were hurt, for example Lehkonen with his broken toe.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
True, injuries hurt us too.
Every player has drive. There are only a few rare players throughout history who have more "drive" than the rest.

The problem was never drive. It was always injuries and guys playing where they shouldn't be. This was our game 7 roster:

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Rodrigues - Eller - Compher
Nieto - Newhook - O'Connor
Hunt - Meyers - Malgin

This is what it should have been IF we wanted to make a deep run:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - 2C- Rantanen
Newhook - Compher - Rodrigues
Cogliano - Eller - O'Connor

Way too many guys in the lineup playing higher than they should have.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Here's a hypothetical to discuss...

Lets say the Avs talk to Toews about signing an extension before the draft, and Toews camp is basically looking for an 8x8M sort of deal, something the Avs simply cant afford.

Would you trade Toews to Vancouver before the draft straight up for the #11 pick?

It would give the Avs all kind of options tbh. Whether they trade one of the picks + Newhook for a 2C, package both picks to get a really high end 2C, try to trade up into the Top 10 and grab one of the best Centers in the draft besides Bedard, or keep all picks and just start a good restock of our prospect pool and look elsewhere(Free Agency) for the 2C.

Personally I'd be looking to move the #11+ for the best Center we can get but it would give the Avs a lot of maneuverability heading into the draft where a lot of teams would certainly love to get there hands on essentially a Top 10 pick.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

Lets say the Avs talk to Toews about signing an extension before the draft, and Toews camp is basically looking for an 8x8M sort of deal, something the Avs simply cant afford.

Would you trade Toews to Vancouver before the draft straight up for the #11 pick?

It would give the Avs all kind of options tbh. Whether they trade one of the picks + Newhook for a 2C, package both picks to get a really high end 2C, try to trade up into the Top 10 and grab one of the best Centers in the draft besides Bedard, or keep all picks and just start a good restock of our prospect pool and look elsewhere(Free Agency) for the 2C.

Personally I'd be looking to move the #11+ for the best Center we can get but it would give the Avs a lot of maneuverability heading into the draft where a lot of teams would certainly love to get there hands on essentially a Top 10 pick.
I think you have to trade Toews for an established 2C. They can't nail non-lottery picks and even if they did, that pick is probably 3+ years out from being a contributor.

Trade our 1st this year too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think you have to trade Toews for an established 2C. They can't nail non-lottery picks and even if they did, that pick is probably 3+ years out from being a contributor.

Trade our 1st this year too.

The issue is, what 2nd line center are we getting for Toews?

Most teams that acruallt have a 2C they're willing to trade, tend to be doing so because they're rebuilding or entering a rebuild... Those teams aren't going to be very interested in a Dman only signed for 1 more year who's about to turn 30. But they would have all kinds of interest in an 11th overall pick.

Don't get me wrong, look for the hockey trade, see if you can find a team open to making a major roster shakeup and make that kind of trade... But I suspect the Avs would have more luck on the 2C market if they went the route of trading Toews(Or whatever Dman they move) for futures and then flipping those futures to a team for said 2C.

Reactions: The Moops

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if he is willing to chase another Cup, Id give JTC money to Kane on a 1y deal. specially if one of Lando or Nuke is not available to play yet.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Another massive summer like last year. If they do well a cup can be won next year, if not then that's off the table.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
There's no way we get chytil since he just re-signed but I'd honestly add another 1st to get him on that contract.
he signed before the great disappointment of the recent series.Drury will definitely make 2-3 moves and a stable defender with stanley cup experience is surely a need. But the avalanche can take Trochek instead of Chytil.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Sending someone to the Canucks is just cruel. No need to be spiteful to Toews.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Toews will be UFA. He can re-up with the team of his choice regardless of where he gets traded.

If we trade him we need to trade him somewhere where he wants to play to maximise the return. Not an easy task.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Toews will be UFA. He can re-up with the team of his choice regardless of where he gets traded.

If we trade him we need to trade him somewhere where he wants to play to maximise the return. Not an easy task.
Vancouver he can go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad