Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As I've been saying, Meyers>Newhook.
There is honestly a decent amount of evidence to support that. Meyers given the same run as Newhook might have had better production. Now saying that... Meyers was abysmal at finishing this year. It may not be a skill he possesses.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There is honestly a decent amount of evidence to support that. Meyers given the same run as Newhook might have had better production. Now saying that... Meyers was abysmal at finishing this year. It may not be a skill he possesses.

Oh I have doubts about him actually producing but I think he has had more of an impact in games. You can see it just watching and some of the numbers also back it up. I think at worst the Avs have an effective 4th liner with Meyers.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As I've been saying, Meyers>Newhook.
I mean meyers definitely looked like he took a step forward in the playoffs. If you can put him with a decent depth finisher you could have something going there to help the depth scoring potentially.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I didn’t know you ran Williams F1?!?!!!

The only race Annunen is winning is to the post-game buffet.

You guys are being way too mean towards Justus!!!

OMG, I could never put my finger on who he reminds me of until just now :

1683302809870.png

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t really care what Meyers underlyings were. The guy was useless this year. You can’t produce that little and slot above anyone in the lineup.

He had better moments towards the end of the season, but he still didn’t earn earn Bednar’s trust. Even with all the injures in the playoffs he barely played.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t really care what Meyers underlyings were. The guy was useless this year. You can’t produce that little and slot above anyone in the lineup.

He had better moments towards the end of rhd year, but he still didn’t earn earn Bednar’s trust. Even with all the injures in the playoffs he barely played.
Interesting stats and doesn't really mean much until production follows... but Meyers goals per 60 was 5th on the team, his ixG per 60 was tied with MacKinnon, his individual chances for per 60 were the highest on the team for a player with more than 10 games. I don't have it handy, but I think his slot passes per 60 was 2nd or 3rd.

There is a decent argument if you don't put him with stone hands players that the production will follow. The best offensive forward he played with for any stretch of time was Newhook... Meyers had 3 goals in less than 80 minutes with Newhook.

IMO Meyers didn't do himself any favors this year, but he's not a lost cause right now. In fact, he's a guy that should get some run early next season to see if the underlying translates.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Interesting stats and doesn't really mean much until production follows... but Meyers goals per 60 was 5th on the team, his ixG per 60 was tied with MacKinnon, his individual chances for per 60 were the highest on the team for a player with more than 10 games. I don't have it handy, but I think his slot passes per 60 was 2nd or 3rd.

There is a decent argument if you don't put him with stone hands players that the production will follow. The best offensive forward he played with for any stretch of time was Newhook... Meyers had 3 goals in less than 80 minutes with Newhook.

IMO Meyers didn't do himself any favors this year, but he's not a lost cause right now. In fact, he's a guy that should get some run early next season to see if the underlying translates.
I agree. As a 1st year pro, I think Meyers could have more to show next season.

I think for the most part, Avs fans in general have been a bit too tough on rookies and young players especially when you consider who those players are playing with when they are in the lineup.

The Avs organization by choice or otherwise* certainly seem to have a sink or swim philosophy with their young players. The ones that stew and simmer in the AHL until they are truly ready are pretty much non-existent and it's been that way for WAYYYYY too long.

*I guess that's what poor drafting over a long haul will do for an organization. This is a fun game, who is the last Avalanche draft pick that was sent to the AHL for more than 1 season to develop - and actually make some sort of impact on the Avs after it's all said and done?

Off the top of my head, I was going to suggest Johnny Boychuk but he was shipped out for Matt Hendricks just as the timer went off on the over to suggest he was ready. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree. As a 1st year pro, I think Meyers could have more to show next season.

I think for the most part, Avs fans in general have been a bit too tough on rookies and young players especially when you consider who those players are playing with when they are in the lineup.

The Avs organization by choice or otherwise* certainly seem to have a sink or swim philosophy with their young players. The ones that stew and simmer in the AHL until they are truly ready are pretty much non-existent and it's been that way for WAYYYYY too long.

*I guess that's what poor drafting over a long haul will do for an organization. This is a fun game, who is the last Avalanche draft pick that was sent to the AHL for more than 1 season to develop - and actually make some sort of impact on the Avs after it's all said and done?

Off the top of my head, I was going to suggest Johnny Boychuk but he was shipped out for Matt Hendricks just as the timer went off on the over to suggest he was ready. :laugh:

In the end I kinda get it... if you can't succeed right away in the AHL, the odds are pretty low that player ends up much of anything in the NHL. If a player can't cut it by their mid to late 2nd season to end of their 3rd season in the NHL, similar odds. That isn't every case and you can certainly find many who break that rule... but were are talking 1 in 10 sort of odds vs those who succeed right away tend to have closer to 50/50 odds of cutting it longer term in the NHL. Meyers is facing an uphill odds battle... there is enough there to extend the look IMO.

Tyson Barrie spent 1.5 seasons in the AHL coming out of the Dub. Could also argue Pickard.

Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

If it's not he won't be an NHLer. He's not anywhere near good enough defensively, he has to carve out a niche with offense. If it ain't there then he's just another Brian Willsie.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If it's not he won't be an NHLer. He's not anywhere near good enough defensively, he has to carve out a niche with offense. If it ain't there then he's just another Brian Willsie.
Yeah his finishing ability in the NHL is likely the the difference between getting established and just being a AAAA player.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

1683308413254.png

LOL

Let's just forget his future seasons and jump straight to giving him a job with the organization...

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad