Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think of I remember correctly didn't they have to trade Cole for cap purposes ?

Colorado did save money in the deal, but I'm not sure if that was the main driver...
  • (MIN) Cole $4.25M (800K retained)
  • (COL) Pateryn $2.25M
Overall they saved $1.2M in the deal. Pateryn was buried in the AHL eventually too, and then dealt to SJ. So it definitely saved the team money one way or the other.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Colorado did save money in the deal, but I'm not sure if that was the main driver...
  • (MIN) Cole $4.25M (800K retained)
  • (COL) Pateryn $2.25M
Overall they saved $1.2M in the deal. Pateryn was buried in the AHL eventually too, and then dealt to SJ. So it definitely saved the team money one way or the other.
weren't they having problems icing a full roster or something ?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
weren't they having problems icing a full roster or something ?

I remember Colorado being extremely close to the cap early in the season, but I also remember Cole being healthy scratched.

Here are MacKinnon's comments at the time. I think the financial aspect was a bigger element than I remember:

"'Colesy' was a warrior," Avalanche captain Nathan MacKinnon said after a 3-2 win at the Los Angeles Kings. "Obviously, he's a Cup champion. It's a tough business. I'm sure he was just ready to nap, he was in the lineup tonight and got moved. It's just a financial thing, I'm assuming. We're pretty tight against the [NHL salary] cap ($81.5 million), and I guess (general manager) Joe [Sakic] had to make a tough decision. Obviously it's hard to lose a guy like Colesy. Everyone loved Colesy, and he brought a lot to our team, a lot of grit and toughness and great penalty killer. Just a good hockey player, so it's obviously tough to lose him."​

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Hard to be an ASU fan these days....I mean Coyotes fan.

We'll see. In all likelihood he resigns with the leafs for a boatload of money and shorter term than they'd like but until that deal is signed, there's always a chance he rides off into next summer as a UFA. I remember reading similar headlines with Tavares about Long Island.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We'll see. In all likelihood he resigns with the leafs for a boatload of money and shorter term than they'd like but until that deal is signed, there's always a chance he rides off into next summer as a UFA. I remember reading similar headlines with Tavares about Long Island.

Yeah I mostly meant that as a needle for the_fan. He certainly worded it with the standard, almost meaningless answer that he wants to stay, not that he will stay.

Reactions: the_fan

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
The one thing I will never, ever forget about game 6. Was f***ing Graves shooting right into Mark Stone !TWICE! even though he had MacK and Makar open on both sides of him.
I still have a dent in my apartment wall from throwing my phone when Graves shooting into Stone's shin pads for the 7th time that game led to the breakaway goal lol

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1691070228321.png

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
The amount of hate people put on Graves and Grubi is unreal. :laugh:
Is it okay with you if people are mad about a specific play in which Graves very clearly made the wrong decision?

Didn’t mention anything about his tenure with the Avs, we are referencing one single play. I’m not putting hate on him. It’s expressing emotions that were felt at the time which is a completely normal thing for fans to do.

Reactions: Ararana

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is it me or does Graves gets overrated? He’s not a bad player, but it seems like they make him out to be this great top 4 d-man

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is it okay with you if people are mad about a specific play in which Graves very clearly made the wrong decision?

Didn’t mention anything about his tenure with the Avs, we are referencing one single play. I’m not putting hate on him. It’s expressing emotions that were felt at the time which is a completely normal thing for fans to do.
First, I'm making a general comment... not directly at you.

Second, I'm not in a position or don't care to be in a position to declare what it okay or not. Is it okay with you that I comment on what I'd call unreasonable hatred of a player?

Third, why don't people talk about MacKinnon, Rants, and Makar combining for 1 goal and 2 assists in games 3-5 in that series? It is always Graves screwed up, Grubi forgot how to play goalie, Bednar got significantly outcoached, etc (all of which play into it)... but those 3 are expected to carry the team and frankly didn't show up nearly enough in that series.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

No, no. He's right when referring to me. I f***ing hated Graves. That dumbass really thought he was something special. Makar propped that infuriating puck hog up so much, that POS is now signed to one of the worst contracts in the NHL. I cheered for him when he was a bottom pairing guy. I was a naive idiot. He just became a shift killing moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad