Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
It would be great for our window if Makar took more charge of the team. f*** deferring to Mack.
I truly believe we’re going to see a legendary season from Makar sooner than later. One in which he doesn’t get injured, plays the most minutes in the league and leads all defenseman in points.

Health is key for him, not just in games played but his body being right when’s on the ice. Hell, he was a Norris finalist last year after missing a good amount of games and I believe he was playing at less than 100% when he actually was out there.

I also wouldn’t mind giving him the captaincy now that Landeskog is out for the year but we know that’s not going to happen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Be nice, folks.

If you want to bitch about something, send @Frenchy or me a note.

@Bear of Bad News and @Frenchy's mailbox right now.

shopping-mega-sale.gif

iu

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I truly believe we’re going to see a legendary season from Makar sooner than later. One in which he doesn’t get injured, plays the most minutes in the league and leads all defenseman in points.

Health is key for him, not just in games played but his body being right when’s on the ice. Hell, he was a Norris finalist last year after missing a good amount of games and I believe he was playing at less than 100% when he actually was out there.

I also wouldn’t mind giving him the captaincy now that Landeskog is out for the year but we know that’s not going to happen.
I mean was the season before that not one? 86 points, a Norris, and the Smythe? Not that he’s not capable of topping that but.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I mean was the season before that not one? 86 points, a Norris, and the Smythe? Not that he’s not capable of topping that but.
Yeah the playoffs he had may not be replicated, but I was more-so referring to a dominant regular season. The Norris race was so close between him and Josi that year. I’m talking about a season where he leaves no doubt about the Norris trophy where he’s far and away the best D-man in the world. We’ll see about another playoff run but it’s unlikely given the dominance of that team.

Don’t get me wrong though, that season was absolutely special and yet it was only his 3rd in the league. Mind blowing.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

If Makar can stay healthy and play 82 games, and if the Avs as a team can stay healthy where Byram and Manson can play the majority of the season which would mean less difficult minutes for Makar, there is no reason why he wouldn’t score 100 points at least once or twice in his career, but those are big ifs

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Wonder how many points frail Cale would get in a full season if he said f*** that defense it's for noobs and went all offense like EK

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Looking beyond this next season... one pretty uncomfortable reality is we may be relying on Landy and have to carry his $7m.

I've actually been thinking about this a lot over the past couple weeks, but specifically in relation to this year. If Landy were healthy, this off-season would have looked a lot different.

One could easily argue that we will have a deeper team this year because of Landeskog's injury. But is it a better team?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've actually been thinking about this a lot over the past couple weeks, but specifically in relation to this year. If Landy were healthy, this off-season would have looked a lot different.

One could easily argue that we will have a deeper team this year because of Landeskog's injury. But is it a better team?

Basically... you'd be trading one of RyJo/Colton and Wood for Landy. I don't know if that is a better team with Landy healthy, but with his health questions... probably?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Thankfully the Avs won the cup at the right moment. Would be pretty painful if they didn't.

Yeah... I look at 2020 and 2021 as wasted runs where the Avs should have been pushing harder, but they at least won in 2022. So many things can change and change quickly where it gets pretty difficult to stay on top. It is why some of us scream that they should be pushing chips to the middle as often as possible.

If Landy is back next year, I don't see how they Avs keep Toews or come close to rounding out a better roster without dumping someone else. One of RyJo, Colton, Lehky, Nuke, or G will likely have to go and it'll still be very tight. Odds are the guy dropped is G. Which would give ~16m for ~9 spots. ~8 of which goes to Toews. Leaving about a million each for the rest (5-6 of them probably are between 800-900k). Toews gets ~8, 6 average ~850k, the remaining 2 could be mid 1s.

The solution to this is to pretty much go down the late window route of most teams (that plays into the downfall, but is pretty much necessary to extend), you start paying a lot at the deadline to buy rentals who can get squeezed under the cap and hope the chemistry is there... and you take significant risks. Avs are certainly doing the latter right now.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Yeah... I look at 2020 and 2021 as wasted runs where the Avs should have been pushing harder, but they at least won in 2022. So many things can change and change quickly where it gets pretty difficult to stay on top. It is why some of us scream that they should be pushing chips to the middle as often as possible.
2020 and 2021 were definitely blown chances. Wish they had the balls to get aggressive, but the cup redeemed those seasons even if they could and should have won a few more rounds.

Reactions: The Moops

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Yeah, it's basically what I'm getting at. I think (or maybe it's just hope) that Makar, at some point, goes full supernova for one season of more than 100pts and carries the team to another cup.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I won’t necessarily argue that the Avs made the right moves in 2020 and 2021 at the TDL. However, there is an argument to be made that had they been more aggressive then, they might not have had the capital to trade for Lehkonen or Manson in 2022 (and I’m particularly grateful that Giroux nixed any trade to the Avs).

It seems the front office is not interested in half measures. Last year I think their targets were Kane or O’Reilly and really no one else. Hayes likely didn’t move the needle enough for them to consider him seriously. The result is that they now have more capital to move at the next TDL.

There are multiple approaches to championship runs during a window. One is to be as aggressive as possible each run knowing that each subsequent season you will have less pieces to move. The other is to make calculated choices of when to go all in and, in the interim, stockpile assets. Instead of possibly two seasons of half measures, you exchange it for one season going all out.

Another way to put it is: would you rather have 5 seasons with 20% chance to win or 2 seasons with 50% and 3 with 0. Your expected number of championships is 1 in both cases but the probably of winning at least one during the 5 years improves from 67% to 75%. These are obviously made up numbers but the point is to illustrate that picking your spots of when to go all in is a valid strategy. Unfortunately, only history will judge if you did that right.

I’m not it saying that this is the right strategy from the Avs. Just that there is logic to it. To me, this is the season where the Avs should go all in given that they didn’t last season and Landeskog’s uncertain status will massively complicate the next offseason. The Avs need one more big move either soon or at the TDL. If they aren’t aggressive this year, then I will judge CMac and Sakic much more harshly for last years’ inaction.

Reactions: Avaholic19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I won’t necessarily argue that the Avs made the right moves in 2020 and 2021 at the TDL. However, there is an argument to be made that had they been more aggressive then, they might not have had the capital to trade for Lehkonen or Manson in 2022 (and I’m particularly grateful that Giroux nixed any trade to the Avs).

It seems the front office is not interested in half measures. Last year I think their targets were Kane or O’Reilly and really no one else. Hayes likely didn’t move the needle enough for them to consider him seriously. The result is that they now have more capital to move at the next TDL.

There are multiple approaches to championship runs during a window. One is to be as aggressive as possible each run knowing that each subsequent season you will have less pieces to move. The other is to make calculated choices of when to go all in and, in the interim, stockpile assets. Instead of possibly two seasons of half measures, you exchange it for one season going all out.

Another way to put it is: would you rather have 5 seasons with 20% chance to win or 2 seasons with 50% and 3 with 0. Your expected number of championships is 1 in both cases but the probably of winning at least one during the 5 years improves from 67% to 75%. These are obviously made up numbers but the point is to illustrate that picking your spots of when to go all in is a valid strategy. Unfortunately, only history will judge if you did that right.

I’m not it saying that this is the right strategy from the Avs. Just that there is logic to it. To me, this is the season where the Avs should go all in given that they didn’t last season and Landeskog’s uncertain status will massively complicate the next offseason. The Avs need one more big move either soon or at the TDL. If they aren’t aggressive this year, then I will judge CMac and Sakic much more harshly for last years’ inaction.

licensed-image

There are ways to balance the risk/reward of being aggressive. Getting players with term or RFA status is one way. Avs could have done a more in 2020 and 2021 to improve the team. They just didn't. I think that played into them finally being aggressive in 2022 when they knew it would be the last dance with Kadri and Burkie. Time was simply running out.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
licensed-image

There are ways to balance the risk/reward of being aggressive. Getting players with term or RFA status is one way. Avs could have done a more in 2020 and 2021 to improve the team. They just didn't. I think that played into them finally being aggressive in 2022 when they knew it would be the last dance with Kadri and Burkie. Time was simply running out.
Eller was a non-measure not a half-measure. Same with guys like Nemeth and Soderberg in previous years. I’m talking about primary targets that cost 1st round picks or equivalent prospects. You either make big moves for the right pieces or you don’t move at all. At least that’s a reasonable philosophy.

Again, I won’t argue that the Avs shouldn’t have been more aggressive previously. Just that I see some logic in it and provided that they become super aggressive at the right times, I could argue that they were right. For example, if the Avs manage to make a move for Lindholm this year using capital they wouldn’t have had had they been more aggressive last year, I will judge the last TDL much more favorably.

Reactions: Foppa2118

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Eller was a non-measure not a half-measure. Same with guys like Nemeth and Soderberg in previous years. I’m talking about primary targets that cost 1st round picks or equivalent prospects. You either make big moves for the right pieces or you don’t move at all. At least that’s a reasonable philosophy.

Again, I won’t argue that the Avs shouldn’t have been more aggressive previously. Just that I see some logic in it and provided that they become super aggressive at the right times, I could argue that they were right. For example, if the Avs manage to make a move for Lindholm this year using capital they wouldn’t have had had they been more aggressive last year, I will judge the last TDL much more favorably.

This is a team that saved its 2021 1st rounder instead of adding to a top 2-3 contender, so that it could waste it on Oskar Olausson. Tell me how trading that pick would have impeded what they did the following year.

And it’s not something to be proud of that you think they prefer non-measures to half-measures. Both are terrible ways to run a cup contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad