Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yeah the Avs will have very tough decisions to make in the near future if they want to keep trying to win. My preference would be to go for it this year but then next offseason to do a quick re-tool. You give up a chance at the cup for a year or two but you can probably compete for a few more years.

First we keep Devon and then Bowen. Think it could be done. But some ELC:s must appears from within the system later on.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I remember some of the "window closing" stuff starting after the Vegas loss and having that as our best shot to win. IMO the whole contender thing is overrated. NHL playoffs aren't exactly predictable and there's a luck/momentum element that's hard to predict at the start of the season. If your a top 10 NHL team in the league you have a chance at the cup. You have the special teams and your contenders and you don't get a special team every year.

One thing that will be annoying is Sakic/C-Mac getting a pass and people using age/contracts etc. as the reason the "window" slammed shut and not because they just did a poor job. Last year should have been a contending season but they just handled things poorly even if they were dealt a bad hand. It'll be no different if RyJo/Drouin fail this year. They had the assets and space to make something happen and take a far less riskier approach. If Ritchie never has an impact for us that could have easily been traded for a very good depth piece that was affordable for the next 2-3 seasons.

In a world where Jost and Newhook become contributing third liners the window could have been extended.

And I know it's unreasonable to expect it but damn if they could have even gotten one average second liner from a first or second round pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Arbitration numbers don't really mean much to what teams actually think... they are really used to pull the AAV down as much as possible when the arbiter decides somewhere in between.

In a chaos sort of way, I wish arbiters only decided between the team and player's contract options and didn't have the leeway to pick any number. It would be far more entertaining... and both parties would be putting more realistic offers out there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Arbitration numbers don't really mean much to what teams actually think... they are really used to pull the AAV down as much as possible when the arbiter decides somewhere in between.

In a chaos sort of way, I wish arbiters only decided between the team and player's contract options and didn't have the leeway to pick any number. It would be far more entertaining... and both parties would be putting more realistic offers out there.
Yup. One of the few things MLB has mastered lol

Reactions: henchman21

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You're moving the goalposts to keep saying that you are right... You've spent the last 2-3 years saying the Avs had to go all in NOW because a Cup window is a short thing and the Avs window will close with Mac's contract.

The majority here was saying that the window wasn't gonna be 2 years but rather 4-5 years. In which we would be top, top contenders in the first few years, then would weaken a bit because of the cap but would definitely remain contenders for another few years afterward.

We've gone out of the first 2-3 years and are EXACTLY where we were predicting we would be. Weaker than 2 years ago but still contenders. And this downward slope will continue for another 2-3 years, at the end of which we will look back at an amazing run of 5-6 years that we were lucky to have been a part of. In which they will have won a Cup, or maybe two.

Yet somehow, you keep saying that you are right, that we are wrong, that we are homers, rosy colored blind fools, etc... I just don't get it... I think I need a break... I'll be back in a month or so...
LOL none of the bolded is even close to true. Nobody(Outside of those of us who were deemed pessimistic) believed the team would regress especially coming off the Cup win last summer. Everyone thought this group had 4-5 more years of being a top tier cup contender. The cap issues would just disappear, and Sakic/CMac would continue to make crazy trades that make us the top contender for years.

Quite frankly the 2-3 years have actually gone exactly like the "pessimistic" group has said it would so far. We said we had ~2 more really great shots to win, the first year with Kadri still making $4.5M as the 2C(In which we won the cup that year), and one more good year after that with Mack still making $6.3M(We were a 1st round exit and nowhere near cup contender). We were a worse team last year, a 1st round exit for the first time in 5 years.

I especially find it hilarious how you can declare yourself "right" when its literally the opposite happening AND the critical year for most of our predictions(Or at least mine) hasn't even started yet.

This conversation will be a good one to bump in 8 months time quite frankly. Its silly to even have this argument about a season that hasn't even started yet. Especially when there's so many questions on our team that it could literally go either way. We could be dogging it out in the wildcard race come next March, or we could be atop the Western Conference poised for a deep run again.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
LOL none of the bolded is even close to true. Nobody(Outside of those of us who were deemed pessimistic) believed the team would regress especially coming off the Cup win last summer. Everyone thought this group had 4-5 more years of being a top tier cup contender. The cap issues would just disappear, and Sakic/CMac would continue to make crazy trades that make us the top contender for years.

Quite frankly the 2-3 years have actually gone exactly like the "pessimistic" group has said it would so far. We said we had ~2 more really great shots to win, the first year with Kadri still making $4.5M as the 2C(In which we won the cup that year), and one more good year after that with Mack still making $6.3M(We were a 1st round exit and nowhere near cup contender). We were a worse team last year, a 1st round exit for the first time in 5 years.

I especially find it hilarious how you can declare yourself "right" when its literally the opposite happening AND the critical year for most of our predictions(Or at least mine) hasn't even started yet.

This conversation will be a good one to bump in 8 months time quite frankly. Its silly to even have this argument about a season that hasn't even started yet. Especially when there's so many questions on our team that it could literally go either way. We could be dogging it out in the wildcard race come next March, or we could be atop the Western Conference poised for a deep run again.
Putting aside the "who was right" part of this, NHL teams can only ride the wave for so long. I've always felt "ze window" discussions have been a little overdone in here, but even with a team hypothetically doing damn near everything correctly, how many consecutive years can a team be legitimately cup-competitive?

The Avs should have an excellent competitive team here for another couple of seasons. They've had 3 such seasons in a row now, and they should have two more. That's 5 years at (or near) the very top of the league, and most teams don't get too much more than that, even if they do draft well.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's really only one side that gets childish like that quite frankly.

The moment any sort of a "pessimistic" or more accurately, realistic outlook is given, the "Avs aren't even a Top 32 team" idiots come out with the garbage.
I personally believe discussions/predictions around the Avs being a wild card team are more pessimistic than realistic. Particularly given the division in which they play.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, of course. That's mine.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Putting aside the "who was right" part of this, NHL teams can only ride the wave for so long. I've always felt "ze window" discussions have been a little overdone in here, but even with a team hypothetically doing damn near everything correctly, how many consecutive years can a team be legitimately cup-competitive?

The Avs should have an excellent competitive team here for another couple of seasons. They've had 3 such seasons in a row now, and they should have two more. That's 5 years at (or near) the very top of the league, and most teams don't get too much more than that, even if they do draft well.
Exactly.

I said this already, but the Avs have made playoffs 6 straight years now. Only 2 teams in the league have a longer active streak.

IMO they've been a top tier contender for 4 of those years if you count last year. Expecting anything more then 1, maybe 2 more years of contending is just not realistic at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad