Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Some said our window was closing the year before we won the cup and that our best chances to win were behind us. Eventually, those predictions will be correct. However, they carry less weight when thrown around every off-season.

I am personally looking forward to having our core trio of Mack, Makar, and Mikko around for a long time and providing them with every opportunity possible to win cups even if it means not being considered a top 2-3 team in the league in most people’s eyes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Considering how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are, I'm ready to shoot the entire concepts of a "window" and a "contender" into Andromeda or further...

The idea that once you get in, you have a shot to win is definitely true. The NHL playoffs are behind only the MLB playoffs in terms of variance.

But at the same time, there's also certainly a distinction between the top contenders, "dark horse" contenders and the wild card teams.

Since the Salary Cap ers began, only the 2012 LA Kings have won a cup while being a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, 13/18 cup wins have come from a Top 6 team in the league in a given year while 4/18 Cup winning teams were from the middle 6 teams.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Exactly.

I said this already, but the Avs have made playoffs 6 straight years now. Only 2 teams in the league have a longer active streak.

IMO they've been a top tier contender for 4 of those years if you count last year. Expecting anything more then 1, maybe 2 more years of contending is just not realistic at all.
Putting potential injuries aside, I think if Johansen works out reasonably well, the Avs will almost certainly be contenders this season. Should be right near the top of the league.

Next season also, if they resign Toews.

After that, they have too many big contracts expiring at the same time: Rantanen, Byram, Giorgiev will all likely be up for raises, and the team will again not have an obvious in-house answer at 2C.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The idea that once you get in, you have a shot to win is definitely true. The NHL playoffs are behind only the MLB playoffs in terms of variance.

But at the same time, there's also definitely a distinction between the top contenders and the wild card teams.

Since the Salary Cap ers began, only the 2012 LA Kings have won a cup while being a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs.
I think the issue here is that teams might have good regular seasons, and yet we wouldn't consider them contenders and vice versa.

But I think overall when you look at the past, how often do we really get Stanley Cup Finals that we could've predicted from the start of the season? Us vs Tampa last year? It seems every other year at least one of teams is some sort of Cinderella run, or at least not a top contender. They don't often win, but still.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I love how drastic everything here is. Avs may not be contenders=Avs are a bottom dweller to some

Or Avs are contenders= guaranteed best team in the league to others.

Certainly is no middle ground that’s for sure. :sarcasm:
It does feel like that is accurate. Not sure if actually true, but matches my feelings.

To me there are a variety of levels and nuance to this. People on different sides of the argument will ignore that nuance to portray the other side poorly. So basically any other internet argument. :laugh:

To me, when you look back, the 20-21 team was the best on paper. The stats of all kinds back that up (though pretty valid argument about QoC is there). They just laid an egg... Kadri being a dummy and Grubi forgetting to see pucks. But that egg laying taught them a lesson and in 21-22 they got much more aggressive. First in solving the goalie situation prior to season and paying a hefty price... but also bringing in 4 pretty large (at least 3) contributors to the team at the deadline. They didn't solve everything, but did quite a bit and rode a few career years to a Cup.

But as we look today... this team doesn't have nearly the depth it had 2-3 years ago, and what caused that depth to dry up? Contracts and losing excess value combined with a lack of success drafting. No longer do they have a 1C and 2C locked up for ~11m combined. They are spending more on the just the 1C today. The draft picks that were supposed to lift the depth have had to be traded away or didn't pan out. The depth that Seattle had was the main driver of the difference in the series (and George couldn't quit letting in one bad goal a game).

I like RyJo and Colton, and I think the Avs are in a better position to start the season... but when you compare today's team to the 20-21 and 21-22 teams, the depth is just night and day different... and the risks are significantly higher.

The whole window debate is touchy one here. Windows don't last as long as people think, and they tend to snap shut. No one today really knows if the window is closed or open, history will be that judge. Nobody in the summer of 2014 thought the Kings would be done, but they haven't made it out of the first round since... and went on a stretch of only making the playoffs 2 times in 7 seasons after. What has been said for years is that things will get progressively more difficult as the sweetheart contracts dry up. The MacK deal being the biggest chance of snapping it shut (not the first, not the only, but the biggest). That's why it is important to keep pushing chips into the middle, only so many great shots before you start grasping for straws.

As we saw last year, the depth already took a big hit... this year it might be slightly better, but if you even look at the 3rd line, you can point to two guys who are 4th liners slotted next to guy that didn't play 3C last year (or since the 21 deadline). To think there are not major questions in the top 9 of this team is being blind.

If the season simply plays out where Drouin, RyJo, Colton, LOC, and Wood all play to the exact same level they played last year.... I'm not sure they are better than a wild card team and would be lucky to win one round. If that plays out and the Avs have two 1st round defeats while facing Toews, Rants and Byram extensions in the 14 months following... did the already window close?

Now if Drouin, RyJo, and Wood all return to form, Colton settles in like a lesser Gourde at 3C, and LOC takes a step... then the top 9 drastically improved. That's a lot to go right, but the Avs would be the strongest down the middle since 13/14 if that came true. With the defense and maybe one wing addition at the deadline, that's a team that can compete and go on a run. Additionally to that, only Drouin of that group needs re-signed. So if that can happen for 2 years, you've made it to the end of Mikko's deal and the window clearly didn't close.

Where you stand on the likelihood of those situations playing out is where you really stand in this debate.

One thing is for sure, I see what @Cousin Eddie is stating here. I don't 100% agree, but he's certainly not all wrong here:
I can’t believe after running into major depth problems last year that heading into the season (as of now) we have to pencil Ben Meyers into our NHL lineup and Logan O’Connor on the 3rd line. That’s horrid depth if fully healthy. Just wait until injuries happen and we have to call up guys from the AHL. For as underwhelming as guys like Galchenyuk and Hudon are, we’re going to have far worse playing NHL games this year unless they bring in multiple more pieces.

They’re both terrible. It’s absurd.

This is supposed to be a Stanley cup contender. A Stanley Cup contender who can’t draft a quality player outside of the top 10 if their lives depended on it and they went ahead and made 2 picks in the late 1st round this year? It absolutely kills me that they used those picks. If 35th overall nets you Ross Colton imagine what one of, or two of those 1sts could get you.

Look, after the RyJo move, the Newhook trade and the Colton trade I thought Cmac started the offseason off on absolute fire. I thought now he’s really going to start filling in some of those depth gaps that killed us last year. But nope. It’s been a disaster ever since.

They aren’t a move away like many people think. They need multiple pieces.

The depth on this team is just full of risk and some of it isn't that good. LOC on the 3rd line is not ideal. Olofsson and Meyers looking like every night skaters, not ideal. Dermy as your first defensemen in upon injuries, not ideal. The Avs need the reclimations to work, they need to stay pretty healthy, some players need to make a jump, and they need to make a few moves to push to the top.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Putting potential injuries aside, I think if Johansen works out reasonably well, the Avs will almost certainly be contenders this season. Should be right near the top of the league.

Next season also, if they resign Toews.

After that, they have too many big contracts expiring at the same time: Rantanen, Byram, Giorgiev will all likely be up for raises, and the team will again not have an obvious in-house answer at 2C.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then.
Really? I don't think Jack Johnson matters at all in terms of us being a contender or not. He's like the #6D and possibly even the #7 if Malinski out plays him in camp.

I would say way, way more of our success or failure rides on the shoulders of the new forward acquisitions, most importantly of that group being Johansen.

He's coming off a terrible year, barely a 0.5 PPG player in a year where even a lot of 3Cs around the league were producing that kind of offense. On top of that he's coming off a significant injury and he's North of 30.

If we get the same disinterested, lazy Ryan Johansen that made Nashville want to pay him $4M not to play for them next year... I would say our window is toast. At that point RyJo is just a worse version of JTC pretty much and we're in the same spot as we were in last year down the middle.

You've also got some risky guys in Drouin/Wood playing roles that they are capable of playing in the past, but couldn't play them last year. Wood was a 4th line guy and a bit of a disaster in the role for New Jersey, Drouin in your Top 6 is just not ideal regardless, but I do have hopes of it working next to Mackinnon here.

All that being said, quite frankly I've been pretty vocal here all summer that I like the moves we made. They're risky for sure and I can see it blowing up in our faces, but I also see a world where RyJo bounces back and is 65 point 2C next year for us... The Drouin/Mack chemistry is real and Wood bounces back on a new team and playing a style he loves to play.

I actually think we do come out as a top ~4 team in the league this year and a cup favorite... But I think anyone who can't see the crazy risk associated with our roster right now are just drinking the kool-aid, and there's more then a couple posters who fit that bill even ignoring Sea Eagles who's always drinking that Kool-aid.

Beyond next year, I dunno if they can maintain contender status. Either they keep Toews, in which case all of our cap space goes to him next summer meaning the rest of the roster remains unimproved, while other teams will be able to make improvements with the $4M cap increase...
Or, they let Toews walk which would free up $8M to make improvements elsewhere IE forward depth, but at that point the Defense gets significantly weaker and you're really relying on Byram to step up and replace Toews which I don't think he's capable of doing.

Then the year after that you've got the Mikko and Byram contracts which is going to further decimate the already tough roster depth.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Exactly.

I said this already, but the Avs have made playoffs 6 straight years now. Only 2 teams in the league have a longer active streak.

IMO they've been a top tier contender for 4 of those years if you count last year. Expecting anything more then 1, maybe 2 more years of contending is just not realistic at all.

I think Vegas just proved that it is "realistic" with the proper moves. We probably need to start mass selling off futures to do so and mix in some shady LTIR stuff, but we can probably stretch out a longer window. It'll just lead to a hard rebuild though.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
been gone for a few days... wtf did I miss lol?

Apparently our team stinks and the window is closed.

We apparently need to add another Dman to the leagues best group. We need a 3rd liner with all the cap space we have which shouldn't be too hard to find. Oh and we will lose Toews for nothing next year.

Just basic craziness on this forum from the whiners.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
It all really depends what people view as a ‘contender’.

Do you have to be a perennial top-5 team to be a contender? Or can you be a team that simply makes the playoffs. After all, everyone has a chance.

The big things for me, in Colorado sustaining success.

How competent is McFarland in putting the pieces around the core?

This is unknown. I like what I’ve seen this off-season though, and that gives me some optimism. If he can continue to tinker and make the appropriate moves every off-season the team will be in good health.

How long do MacKinnon and Rantanen remain close to the level they’re at right now?

I think the Avs can still be successful with some level of drop-off, but it will be hard once MacK drops to like a top-25 C as opposed to a top-2C in the game. I’m not including Makar in this, because he has more runway due to his age.

Respectfully… anyone who thinks they’re not contending this year is off-base. I just don’t see that line of thinking. I’m not planning a cup parade, but they’re sure as hell going to be in the mix.

The roster is clearly constructed in a better way. Imo, some are putting way too much stock in the underlying numbers of Compher and Rodrigues and viewing them as massive losses. Compher’s ‘defensive prowess’ has been overstated quite a bit by the analytics community. It’s one of the reasons I’m starting to lose a bit of faith in that community tbh.

The depth is better, but not good enough. We need to see the last move to really judge the roster, but the fact that they’re already stashing Kovalenko puts them ahead from a planning standpoint from last season.

I guess you can say that the gambles on certain players won’t work out, but even the low end on some of these guys still makes them useful pieces. And history shows the Avs know who to gamble on.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Arbitration numbers don't really mean much to what teams actually think... they are really used to pull the AAV down as much as possible when the arbiter decides somewhere in between.

In a chaos sort of way, I wish arbiters only decided between the team and player's contract options and didn't have the leeway to pick any number. It would be far more entertaining... and both parties would be putting more realistic offers out there.
Was thinking the same, baseball-type arbitration.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Beyond next year, I dunno if they can maintain contender status. Either they keep Toews, in which case all of our cap space goes to him next summer meaning the rest of the roster remains unimproved, while other teams will be able to make improvements with the $4M cap increase...
Or, they let Toews walk which would free up $8M to make improvements elsewhere IE forward depth, but at that point the Defense gets significantly weaker and you're really relying on Byram to step up and replace Toews which I don't think he's capable of doing.

Then the year after that you've got the Mikko and Byram contracts which is going to further decimate the already tough roster depth.
Looking beyond this next season... one pretty uncomfortable reality is we may be relying on Landy and have to carry his $7m. Right now, with Landy, this team would be pushing 90m. Next season the Avs currently have a touch under 77m on the books. If he's determined to come back (and by all accounts he is), that means the Avs only have about 10.5m to spend for Toews, 2 depth D, backup goalie, and 3 forwards. That setups up a 12-7-2, so only one extra skater. If you only spend the league minimum on the 6 spots beyond Toews, you're still spending 4.65m. That leaves only a touch under 6m. Which likely won't be enough to sign Toews. There are solutions to this that range from it being a terrible sign (RyJo getting bought out), to costly (moving Manson and having to pay to do it), to hurting the team (trading a $4+m contract on anybody else).

If Landy LTIRetires, then there is some room, but it gets tight quick.

It all really depends what people view as a ‘contender’.

Do you have to be a perennial top-5 team to be a contender? Or can you be a team that simply makes the playoffs. After all, everyone has a chance.

The big things for me, in Colorado sustaining success.

How competent is McFarland in putting the pieces around the core?

This is unknown. I like what I’ve seen this off-season though, and that gives me some optimism. If he can continue to tinker and make the appropriate moves every off-season the team will be in good health.

How long do MacKinnon and Rantanen remain close to the level they’re at right now?

I think the Avs can still be successful with some level of drop-off, but it will be hard once MacK drops to like a top-25 C as opposed to a top-2C in the game. I’m not including Makar in this, because he has more runway due to his age.

Respectfully… anyone who thinks they’re not contending this year is off-base. I just don’t see that line of thinking. I’m not planning a cup parade, but they’re sure as hell going to be in the mix.

The roster is clearly constructed in a better way. Imo, some are putting way too much stock in the underlying numbers of Compher and Rodrigues and viewing them as massive losses. Compher’s ‘defensive prowess’ has been overstated quite a bit by the analytics community. It’s one of the reasons I’m starting to lose a bit of faith in that community tbh.

The depth is better, but not good enough. We need to see the last move to really judge the roster, but the fact that they’re already stashing Kovalenko puts them ahead from a planning standpoint from last season.

I guess you can say that the gambles on certain players won’t work out, but even the low end on some of these guys still makes them useful pieces. And history shows the Avs know who to gamble on.

On the everyone who makes the playoffs has a chance motiff... people have railed against Minny for years being a murky middle team. Yet they almost always make the playoffs, are they a contender? Is the (arguably) most hated team on here, Dallas, a contender? Are there really 16 contending teams? To me there has to be a line somewhere between all playoffs and elite teams only. Though I'd say since 2008, there have only been a few legitimate surprise winners. St Louis for sure (though IIRC Cousin Eddie won some cash there). Then arguably the Kings first run... though people were railing hard on their underperformance prior to those playoffs. Beyond that... Not sure any team was a real surprise. You can generally list the top 6-8 teams and the winner will be in there.

I can't gather my thoughts on MacFarland yet. 1st year GMs are typically too conservative and the 2nd and 3rd years are more important to evaluate who they are. What I see is necessary risk taking. He went risky because he kinda had to... the result of that may or may not be his true ability at a GM. By training camp 2025, we should have a good answer on who CMac is... sadly that's a little late.

I really don't think MacK and Rants' abilities will determine the length of the window. Hear me out on this. They are elite players now, and it is entirely possible (as we just saw this past spring) that they are not able to carry the team all the way by themselves. McDavid and Drai can't get Edmonton over the hump, and they are better than MacK and Rants (though Edmonton doesn't have Makar, they have Nurse!). Just having 3 stars may not be enough. There will need to be depth elsewhere. Byram's development. Girard's regression (hopefully that F stops). Toews, Lehky, and Nuke's aging curve. George's ability to be a starter and not give up bad goals when it matters. I'd argue those are more important than anything MacK or Rants deal with as regression in the next ~3-4 years. If Nuke regresses to just a good defensive, but 45-50 point winger... that hurts at ton at his contract. Same if Lehky is that but more of a 3rd line version. If Byram stagnates here as a flaws but flashy middle pairing guy... the Avs need Toews to really hold on to being a top pairing guy for 4 seasons. Then... just Landy in general...

To me, the regression risk exists with MacK and Rants, but they'll likely be a high enough level for the next few years even with regression (though they certainly could also torpedo it if they drop to 2nd liners overnight, I just don't find that likley). The regression risk on the other long-term contracts, are a bigger risk. Assuming Toews gets re-signed long-term, the Avs have Lehky, Nuke, Landy, Toews, and Wood all signed through 2026 smack in the middle of the ages where regression normally hits... sometimes hard. With whatever Toews gets, that's somewhere between 30-33m or ~1/3 the cap on players that maybe not be providing excess value at some point.

Even if things go perfect there... for the next two seasons RyJo and Colton have to click, especially RyJo. If he doesn't click, I don't think the Avs are very dangerous. If he finds his 26 year old self, the Avs are a top 5 team even if some guys take a step back.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would be great for our window if Makar took more charge of the team. f*** deferring to Mack.
And if he could put together a full 82 game season...

Though honestly, Mack was completely ridiculous last year. He was actually far and away the best player in the league at 5 on 5. If he wants to bring that level of play again next year then by all means keep deferring to him lol.

PP is where Cale needs to asert himself more.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
And if he could put together a full 82 game season...

Though honestly, Mack was completely ridiculous last year. He was actually far and away the best player in the league at 5 on 5. If he wants to bring that level of play again next year then by all means keep deferring to him lol.

PP is where Cale needs to asert himself more.
Yeah it's mostly a PP thing. Getting a PP coach would be nice. One can dream.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Looking beyond this next season... one pretty uncomfortable reality is we may be relying on Landy and have to carry his $7m. Right now, with Landy, this team would be pushing 90m. Next season the Avs currently have a touch under 77m on the books. If he's determined to come back (and by all accounts he is), that means the Avs only have about 10.5m to spend for Toews, 2 depth D, backup goalie, and 3 forwards. That setups up a 12-7-2, so only one extra skater. If you only spend the league minimum on the 6 spots beyond Toews, you're still spending 4.65m. That leaves only a touch under 6m. Which likely won't be enough to sign Toews. There are solutions to this that range from it being a terrible sign (RyJo getting bought out), to costly (moving Manson and having to pay to do it), to hurting the team (trading a $4+m contract on anybody else).

On the everyone who makes the playoffs has a chance motiff... people have railed against Minny for years being a murky middle team. Yet they almost always make the playoffs, are they a contender? Is the (arguably) most hated team on here, Dallas, a contender? Are there really 16 contending teams? To me there has to be a line somewhere between all playoffs and elite teams only. Though I'd say since 2008, there have only been a few legitimate surprise winners. St Louis for sure (though IIRC Cousin Eddie won some cash there). Then arguably the Kings first run... though people were railing hard on their underperformance prior to those playoffs. Beyond that... Not sure any team was a real surprise. You can generally list the top 6-8 teams and the winner will be in there.

I can't gather my thoughts on MacFarland yet. 1st year GMs are typically too conservative and the 2nd and 3rd years are more important to evaluate who they are. What I see is necessary risk taking. He went risky because he kinda had to... the result of that may or may not be his true ability at a GM. By training camp 2025, we should have a good answer on who CMac is... sadly that's a little late.

I really don't think MacK and Rants' abilities will determine the length of the window. Hear me out on this. They are elite players now, and it is entirely possible (as we just saw this past spring) that they are not able to carry the team all the way by themselves. McDavid and Drai can't get Edmonton over the hump, and they are better than MacK and Rants (though Edmonton doesn't have Makar, they have Nurse!). Just having 3 stars may not be enough. There will need to be depth elsewhere. Byram's development. Girard's regression (hopefully that F stops). Toews, Lehky, and Nuke's aging curve. George's ability to be a starter and not give up bad goals when it matters. I'd argue those are more important than anything MacK or Rants deal with as regression in the next ~3-4 years. If Nuke regresses to just a good defensive, but 45-50 point winger... that hurts at ton at his contract. Same if Lehky is that but more of a 3rd line version. If Byram stagnates here as a flaws but flashy middle pairing guy... the Avs need Toews to really hold on to being a top pairing guy for 4 seasons. Then... just Landy in general...

To me, the regression risk exists with MacK and Rants, but they'll likely be a high enough level for the next few years even with regression (though they certainly could also torpedo it if they drop to 2nd liners overnight, I just don't find that likley). The regression risk on the other long-term contracts, are a bigger risk. Assuming Toews gets re-signed long-term, the Avs have Lehky, Nuke, Landy, Toews, and Wood all signed through 2026 smack in the middle of the ages where regression normally hits... sometimes hard. With whatever Toews gets, that's somewhere between 30-33m or ~1/3 the cap on players that maybe not be providing excess value at some point.

Even if things go perfect there... for the next two seasons RyJo and Colton have to click, especially RyJo. If he doesn't click, I don't think the Avs are very dangerous. If he finds his 26 year old self, the Avs are a top 5 team even if some guys take a step back.
The reason it's so hard to be a long term contender and win a cup, much less multiple cups, is you need both.

The guys lower in the lineup need to maintain strong play or improve. And MacK and Rants need to continue to be top 3ish at their position.

If the depth guys continue to be good but MacK regresses it's a very uphill battle.

Even with the most rosy projections for the current roster imagine if MacK and Rants were replaced by something like Aho and Nylander. Solid first liners but not elite. That doesn't look like a winner.

There's just so much that needs to go right to keep having realistic shots at the cup. Purposely avoiding the debate of using the word contender.

Reactions: henchman21

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

Yeah 16 is a bit much for me, but 5 is not enough. I guess I kind of fall in the middle ground. Of the teams you mentioned, I’d probably say Dallas, yes. Minni, no. I fall more in the 10-12 teams are contenders territory.

I don’t disagree with any of the bolded. I think all those elements are important to this team remaining strong. There’s a lot of variables.

The only thing I’d contest is that having the 3rd star matters quite a lot. Imo, Edmonton has better depth than they get credit for, but not having the 3rd star has hurt them. They would’ve already won a cup, or two if they had Makar.

Reactions: henchman21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad