Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC

Well, isn't that convenient

As someone who enjoys Leafs drama …
1690387933010.jpeg

Reactions: BaconNater

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Players and agents aren't stupid. They know the cap is jumping up in the next two years.

That's why I keep harping that there's no way we get Toews under 9M a season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That could be a scary reality.
I'm pretty sure it will happen, and the highest the cap will be (without CBA negotiations) will be 92.1m. With the contracts currently signed, Rants at 13.5, Toews at 8, and Byram at 8... basically at 84.75m with 11 guys signed (no goalies or centers beyond MacK). Something is gonna have to give.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm pretty sure it will happen, and the highest the cap will be (without CBA negotiations) will be 92.1m. With the contracts currently signed, Rants at 13.5, Toews at 8, and Byram at 8... basically at 84.75m with 11 guys signed (no goalies or centers beyond MacK). Something is gonna have to give.
It would be 12 I believe no?

Mack - 12.6
Mikko - 13.5
Landy - 7
Lehky - 4.5
Nuke - 6.125
Colton - 4
Wood - 2.5

Makar - 9
Toews - 8
Byram - 8
Girard - 5
Manson - 4.5

Something would definitely have to give... But I would be very surprised to see all 3 LD still here at that point. That seems like the logical area for a change to be made. Then potentially one of Nuke or Lehky as well(Especially if they could potentially look at Colton as replacing one of them in the Top 6).

Honestly all this tells me is that Byram really is the trade chip that should be dangled on the roster to solidify the 2C long term, especially if they're bringing Toews back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It would be 12 I believe no?

Mack - 12.6
Mikko - 13.5
Landy - 7
Lehky - 4.5
Nuke - 6.125
Colton - 4
Wood - 2.5

Makar - 9
Toews - 8
Byram - 8
Girard - 5
Manson - 4.5

Something would definitely have to give... But I would be very surprised to see all 3 LD still here at that point. That seems like the logical area for a change to be made. Then potentially one of Nuke or Lehky as well(Especially if they could potentially look at Colton as replacing one of them in the Top 6).

Honestly all this tells me is that Byram really is the trade chip that should be dangled on the roster to solidify the 2C long term, especially if they're bringing Toews back.
Yeah you're right with 12. The writing is just on the wall with the depth. Some of the bigger contracts will have to get moved and the Avs probably have to keep going the cheap starter route via trade.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I'll tell you exactly what's going to give: no Toews. No one likes it, but it's just the way it is.

Reactions: LTCPain75

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll tell you exactly what's going to give: no Toews. No one likes it, but it's just the way it is.
I doubt the Avs give up Toews. He's simply too important today and over the next 2-3 years. It could simply be Landy is done, or G gets moves, Nuke snorts away his career... too many moving pieces around it. Odds are though 1 or 2 of those names are gone by the 25-26 season.

Reactions: shadow1

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No one is doing the business part better and smarter than Matthews if the rumours of his extension are true.
If we are talking about absolutely maximizing his income while playing, yeah I'm not sure a single player will have done a better job in NHL history. He's doing all he can to secure $200+m without endorsements.

Reactions: Avs_19

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think anyone has ignored there are question marks with Johansen and Drouin.

A more relevant question is where are the teams with no question marks in their lineup?

Would be pretty disingenuous to act like the Avs are alone in this regard and the other top teams don't have question marks too.
I don't think they are. However I do believe a team like Vegas has far fewer questions than the Avs.

To me the Avs season rests on two huge question marks, RyJo and Drouin. They excel and do their job, we'll be right there. They both flounder and we are kinda screwed and in the same spot as last season where 29, 8 and 96 do all the hard carrying and the other guys do a little here and there.

I wish this wasn't the case, but it kind of is. I hope the gamble pays off and RyJo and Drouin do well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO if we get a 60-65+ point RyJo who cares on both ends of the ice, the Avs are nicely setup to contend in the West. If the Avs get the RyJo of 3 of the last 4 seasons, there is pretty much zero chance of contending unless the Avs make a drastic move. That is the whole crux of the season. Drouin and/or Wood struggling can be overcome. You can add bottom 6 depth. You can find cheap top 6 wingers. Finding a legit top 6 center and the Avs being willing to pay that price has been a mountain to climb... so RyJo pretty much has to succeed for this season to meet expectations.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IMO if we get a 60-65+ point RyJo who cares on both ends of the ice, the Avs are nicely setup to contend in the West. If the Avs get the RyJo of 3 of the last 4 seasons, there is pretty much zero chance of contending unless the Avs make a drastic move. That is the whole crux of the season. Drouin and/or Wood struggling can be overcome. You can add bottom 6 depth. You can find cheap top 6 wingers. Finding a legit top 6 center and the Avs being willing to pay that price has been a mountain to climb... so RyJo pretty much has to succeed for this season to meet expectations.

Yeah this is how I see it.

It really does come down to RyJo. The other pieces can make a small difference between us winning the West(Regular season) or just finishing 2nd in the division sort of thing... But Johansen and his ability is what will ultimately determine whether we're a threat in the West or a wild card level team.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
So much depends on him.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Have you missed that I have said I like what that Avs have done and am much happier than last offseason... or do you just ignore that to frame your argument the way you want?
To be fair, you post a lot so it’s hard to keep track of some things haha. I don’t really like arguing with people on here, but I do want to pull my hair out when someone keeps repeating themselves ad nauseum. I definitely enjoy your takes.

For the last verified season (21-22)

NFL: 11.98B
MLB: 10.8B
NBA: 10B
NHL: 5.3B

big-bird-sesame-street-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other.gif
Also, there are far far less NBA players. If you played 9-11 guys at a time and there were 25 guys per team then no one would be making that kind of money. It makes sense they’d make the most on average.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair, you post a lot so it’s hard to keep track of some things haha. I don’t really like arguing with people on here, but I do want to pull my hair out when someone keeps repeating themselves ad nauseum. I definitely enjoy your takes.

Also, there are far far less NBA players. If you played 9-11 guys at a time and there were 25 guys per team then no one would be making that kind of money. It makes sense they’d make the most on average.
The poster I was responding to likes to misconstrue what I’m saying even when I’m simply just providing outside information.

Yeah the NBA players should make roughly 4x what NHL players do. The money in baseball and football are kinda insane though.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Drouin - Mackinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Johansen - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - LoC

Vs

Barbashev - Eichel - Marchasseault
Howden - Stephenson - Stone
Cotter - Karlsson - Amadio

Why is anyone freaking out? lol deadline still to come, avs could possibly sign another third liner too. Kovalenko on the way.. Cale Makar on the blue line. Avs can beat anyone in the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad