Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's beyond that. In the NBA a star player can have a huge impact on the success of a franchise. Due to roster sizes, and the differences in the games themselves, a singular player just isn't going to have the same impact in the NHL.
The NBA team also has about 15 players on the payroll, where the NHL team can have over 40 typically.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is there a chance, that as team's private models get more refined and sophisticated that their older versions may become public? I'd very much be interested in seeing the difference between what teams are coming up with and keying in on vs what the big readily available public models do.
I’d doubt it. It is each team’s ip and if it is thought it gives them a competitive advantage, they won’t ever put it out for all other teams to see. That said, a lot of the data out there that it is based off of it available from the NHL (Mike Kelly’s company uses it) so odds are the public models will end up mirroring over time. Just a matter of justifying the costs.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
To me Drouin and ERod is mostly a wash. They're both 45-50 point wingers, and that was before Drouin might get a bump in production playing on the Avs like Avsboy mentioned.

People bring up Drouin's low goal totals a lot, but he's not a goal scorer, he's a playmaker. He'll look to pass first and Nate will probably end up shooting more to compensate.

Is there really a difference if Nate scores 60 and Drouin scores 10, versus Nate scoring 50 and Drouin scoring 20?

The points are what matter. In the end the only thing that matters is the Avs got a goal.
With Drouin, he'll get his points (if he plays in the top 6, as expected).

I'm more concerned about games played.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With Drouin, he'll get his points (if he plays in the top 6, as expected).

I'm more concerned about games played.
He’s certainly gonna be out a number of games with minor bumps and bruises. :laugh:

My worry about Drouin is his motor more than anything. Bednar has shown if you don’t have a motor, you better produce. So he can get away with it if he does produce, but when he hits a slump… what happens?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
He’s certainly gonna be out a number of games with minor bumps and bruises. :laugh:

My worry about Drouin is his motor more than anything. Bednar has shown if you don’t have a motor, you better produce. So he can get away with it if he does produce, but when he hits a slump… what happens?
1690378932812.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There being two players on that Avs team that falls into this makes it even crazier.
Roy? Goalie are an odd duck in all of this... the best ones seem to go to 34-36 and then off a cliff. Many other goalies don't reach 30 in the league. Then you have randos like Griess who are not good and stick around for 15 years. :laugh:

Also they spent like $50m that season on salary when most of the league was 20-30 (Wings and Rags were around there too... I think Wings pushed 60m).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah that Aho deal is pretty decent for both sides, certainly a sign the market is getting ready to explode again on the top guys though as the flat cap finally breaks.

Nylander can point to this contract as his comparable as well in Toronto and unfortunate for them there's no way they can afford Willy at $10M, Marner and Matthews at $13M+

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah that Aho deal is pretty decent for both sides, certainly a sign the market is getting ready to explode again on the top guys though as the flat cap finally breaks.

Nylander can point to this contract as his comparable as well in Toronto and unfortunate for them there's no way they can afford Willy at $10M, Marner and Matthews at $13M+

They can technically afford it, but their depth will continue to suffer. Those 3 + Reilly wouldn't be all that much difference than Reilly previously and Tavares + Marner + Matthews prior.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They can technically afford it, but their depth will continue to suffer. Those 3 + Reilly wouldn't be all that much difference than Reilly previously and Tavares + Marner + Matthews prior.

I wouldn't want two wingers to be part of that equation though. At least before they were taking care of the 3 most important positions in hockey(Though debatable that you want Rielly as your #1).

If they went that route they'd have nearly 50% of the cap on 4 players. Technically they can do it but ya the depth would be pretty well non existent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't want two wingers to be part of that equation though. At least before they were taking care of the 3 most important positions in hockey(Though debatable that you want Rielly as your #1).

If they went that route they'd have nearly 50% of the cap on 4 players. Technically they can do it but ya the depth would be pretty well non existent.
It wouldn't be how I'd build certainly... just saying it isn't that much different than what they had before with the cap (just with different positions... though Nylander has played the pivot before)

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I rather like Aho... but another sign of the contract prices skyrocketing. Nearly $10m for a PPG, solid but not elite 2 way center. That 13.5m for 3/4 years Matthews deal is looking more likely by the day. :oops:
He wasn’t even PPG this season

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
They'd likely have to figure out Tavares' last contract year - $11M.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He wasn’t even PPG this season
Prior 4 he was though... year-to-year variations just happen.

They'd likely have to figure out Tavares' last contract year - $11M.
Yeah but that's only 1 year and things can usually be figured out. Especially when they have so few contracts on the books next year. That doesn't mean they will be any good as a team, but if they want to keep all those guys, they can find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad